Excursion prices

sjde

I don’t know, we just paid $45 per person for a Princess 5 hour Best of Puerto Vallarta tour and most of our other excursions on our current CB Panama Canal cruise average between $10-20 pp/hour, depending on what’s included in the excursion. That seems about the same from our experience prior to the pandemic. Do you have some examples of the high costs you’re referring to?

We haven't taken a Princess tour in years but on our next cruise we have some OB credit to use and I was a little setback to see what the prices are today. 

Unless it was a specific tour that could only be booked through Princess I would shop around. 

Oh yes, been looking at Alaska tours and the ones we may have chosen are out of price range now. Understandable since they have had no income for a couple years.  We will be doing second choices instead. Example was a float plane ,bus and lunch prior to covid was 179.00 pp ,now it's almost 400.pp.  It's fine...at least we will be cruising.

We have a 44 day B2B2B down under in 2024. I've been looking at ship excursions and outside vendors for Great Barrier reef, Hobbitron, and a couple others. Australian dollar is low right now and ship excursions are less than the outside vendors when paying in AUD. I'm going to watch the exchange rate and book ones really important to us, then use OBC for others.

14 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I don’t know, we just paid $45 per person for a Princess 5 hour Best of Puerto Vallarta tour and most of our other excursions on our current CB Panama Canal cruise average between $10-20 pp/hour, depending on what’s included in the excursion. That seems about the same from our experience prior to the pandemic. Do you have some examples of the high costs you’re referring to?

Well our recent private tour--just the three of us--in Puerto Vallarta was $30pp and at least 6 hours.  The same cost in Mazatlan, although shorter, maybe 4 hours, we saw everything we wanted to see and also just us three.

1 hour ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

Well our recent private tour--just the three of us--in Puerto Vallarta was $30pp and at least 6 hours.  The same cost in Mazatlan, although shorter, maybe 4 hours, we saw everything we wanted to see and also just us three.

That's sounds fair enough. 

If you bought it through the ship it might have been $50 per person. 

On 5/1/2022 at 3:17 PM, MissP22 said:

That's sounds fair enough. 

If you bought it through the ship it might have been $50 per person. 

And the bonus was they were both private, just me, my husband and my sister.  The guy in Puerto Vallarta went out of his way to take us to a special site my husband loves, where one of the scenes of a movie he likes was filmed--can't remember the name right now.

Unfortunately smaller private excursion companies may not have survived 2 years without clients or they may be having a difficult time re-staffing.  In those cases when fewer companies offer private and cruise line excursions and demand increases as the number of passengers increase, supply and demand dictates higher prices.

On 5/1/2022 at 1:17 PM, Nebr.cruiser said:

So you paid the person a total of $90 to drive you around in a car for 6 hours with gas prices in Mexico around $5 per gallon. I hope you tipped him well!

10 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

So you paid the person a total of $90 to drive you around in a car for 6 hours with gas prices in Mexico around $5 per gallon. I hope you tipped him well!

Of course we did!  We didn't bargain for that price, that is what he offered us after we got off the ship.  He certainly wasn't trying to save miles, even took us to places we knew nothing about but that were really nice.

• Like 1