The Daily for Tuesday 05/03/2022

richwmn

15 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

A very late good afternoon/evening from central Texas.  I think time went backwards today.  When I got up about 7:30 it was 71F, but by 9:30 or so, it was 58F.  It was also very windy and dreary.  By the weekend, we should be in the mid 90s, and that about sums up Texas weather.

Today was the day I finally cleaned the house and the motorhome.  After being gone for six months the house really needed attention.  I am not planning anything major tomorrow.

I can safely say there are no lumps under the rugs today.  There is no garden to meditate in, only two small flowerbeds.  Teachers deserve their day.  When the DDs were in high school and band, the band boosters hosted a potluck lunch in the band hall for all the teachers.

I like the quote the quote, even if forgiving can be hard.

We'll pass on the meal, drink and wine.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, thank you for the pictures of Tasmania which is still on the bucket list.

@Vict0riann Ann and @grapau27 Graham, your gardens are beautiful.

@smitty34877  Terry, I hope Tana's appointment went well.

@baltic17  Bon Voyage.  Have a great cruise.

@ger_77  Gerry, I hope you and DH feel better soon.

@JazzyV Vanessa, I glad you have an appointment to get your car looked at.

@dfish Debbie, and @JazzyV  Vaneesa, I hope you both stay safe and avoid any tornadoes.

@gigianne  Georgina, thank you for the link to Jose's obituary.

@aliaschief Thank you for the lovely pictures.

@cruzn single   Using your Red Cross training at the VA is a great idea.

@mamaofami  Carol, i believe that by posting an obituary in a newspaper, the family wants people to know the funeral arrangements and about their loved one.  While I don't know how it works in Canada, in the US, it is now the practice for the family or funeral home to pay to place the obituary in the public domain (newspaprer).  If a family does not want the information made public, then, they do not submit an obit.  Since @1ANGELCAT only used Jose’s first name and the name of the newspaper, I don't think she violated anyone's privacy.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Now, I better start dinner.

Lenda

Expand  

I stand by my previous comment. Jacqui posted on Facebook to her friends there. If and when she wanted to make the information available to us here she would have and she did that when she gave permission. It really depends on how you look at things, but I think it's crossing a boundary for someone else to post her funeral arrangements here. Don' misunderstand. No problem if you look it up for yourself. But posting it here before she said it was OK is in my humble opinioin not the right thing to do. Anyone who wanted that information for themselves could also have looked it up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

I stand by my previous comment. Jacqui posted on Facebook to her friends there. If and when she wanted to make the information available to us here she would have and she did that when she gave permission. It really depends on how you look at things, but I think it's crossing a boundary for someone else to post her funeral arrangements here. Don' misunderstand. No problem if you look it up for yourself. But posting it here before she said it was OK is in my humble opinioin not the right thing to do. Anyone who wanted that information for themselves could also have looked it up. 

Carol, don't give it too much thought.  In all honestly, I was also uncomfortable when I saw the post about the newspaper. It just didn't feel right to me -- probably because I value privacy.  But it's all such a grey area these days with every bit of information being out there on the internet.  We're all just muddling through, but our hearts are in the right place, I think.

• Like 8

JMHO..... Jacqui is dealing with the most profound grief right now. She has lost her soul mate and both of her beloved dogs in the last few months. Any and all support we give her ->  ie. here on CC, and/or for those who choose  ->   on Jose's memorial page or by private message, all are coming from a loving place. How Jacqui chooses to receive that support is totally up to her. It is not up to any of us to decide that for her.

Speaking solely for myself..... Jacqui, you are, to me, the epitome of grace and kindness. You have been a mentor to me here on Cruise Critic. My heart breaks for the pain you have endured. If cruising is your "happy place", then I pray you will get back onboard as soon as you are comfortable to do so. 

Edited by canadarocks
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

I know this is totally off subject, but the Daily does celebrate various days. I do not want to wait until August 24th, National Can Opener Day, for an answer to my burning question. 

Do any of you know of a reliable can opener. We seem to always have a few can openers in the kitchen gadgets drawer, but none of them work well or consistently. 

I really would love to find a can opener that was worth celebrating on August 24th, when that special day arrives!

• Like 9
  • Haha 6

21 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

I know this is totally off subject, but the Daily does celebrate various days. I do not want to wait until August 24th, National Can Opener Day, for an answer to my burning question. 

Do any of you know of a reliable can opener. We seem to always have a few can openers in the kitchen gadgets drawer, but none of them work well or consistently. 

I really would love to find a can opener that was worth celebrating on August 24th, when that special day arrives!

15 minutes ago, canadarocks said:

Can openers are a sore subject around here!  One time we were visiting our son and while cooking for them found his can opener to be awful.  We worked so hard to open any can.  So we got online and ordered one like we used at home, a Swing-A-Way.  It arrived after we left for home, so he thanked us but didn't say much about it.  Next time were were there visiting, we tried his Swing-A-Way and it wouldn't open a darn thing!  Apparently the U.S.A. made ones were a thing of the past.  The company was bought by someone who had them made in China.  No go!  Thankfully he found a different brand and it worked just fine.  Don't know what brand though.  Sorry!  Good luck in your search!

Edited to say I forgot to mention DD's can opener, the very unique Pampered Chef can opener.  We were using it last Christmas and thought what is wrong with this can opener?  Nothing was wrong, we just didn't understand it's cutting edge.  Turns out it cuts outside the rim at the top of the can, not inside like most do.  You know how the lid falls into the opened can on most openers?  The Pampered Chef doesn't do that because it cuts on the outside edge.  Worked great for us but your mileage may vary.

https://www.pamperedchef.com/shop/Favorites/Favorites/Smooth-Edge+Can+Opener/2759

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

This is what I have, I love it!!  And I had nearly given up on can openers before getting this.  None worked for me.  No sharp edges, just set it on top of the can,  push a button, that's all!  No having to use arthritic hands  🙂 

https://smile.amazon.com/Kitchen-Mama-Automatic-Electric-Opener/dp/B07FVQLBL3/ref=sr_1_6?crid=14SXIBA9QLPA8&keywords=can+opener+smooth+edge&qid=1651625199&sprefix=can+opener+%2Caps%2C155&sr=8-6

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Trying to type and sorry, if I caused discussion here. 

Carol, @mamaofami I truly appreciate your post and since you knew -  we are both probably hyper sensitive as sadly a post was done on FB before I announced.  I was very hurt and upset as I was still trying to reach people.and had only told a very few (including all of you as you have been with me through all of this)

I felt Jose’s death was mine to announce and I was still trying to reach some people and knew I would forget someone 😔 And bam, a self centred person posts about her loss?  OMG.

I very much appreciated the call from Georgina @gigiannetoday who has been a rock to me over the last 5 months.  I babble and she lets me 😉. I was happy that she shared the obituary but I appreciated her asking first and hesitated and then said yes.  All privacy is gone with an obituary but heck - a lot of you know us already so I agreed.  

I am still working on what is right for Jose for Thursday - Jose adored his music and was very fussy.  I want to do an appropriate tribute to him.  And a few other things.  He deserves a tribute - not fuss but a tribute to him.  

1 hour ago, canadarocks said:

Speaking solely for myself..... Jacqui, you are, to me, the epitome of grace and kindness. You have been a mentor to me here on Cruise Critic. My heart breaks for the pain you have endured. If cruising is your "happy place", then I pray you will get back onboard as soon as you are comfortable to do so. 

How very kind of you.  I don’t think I deserve those kind words but they are so lovely.

I know everyone here is so supportive and I am slowly reading when I can.  the grief is overwhelming but please know, I will be reading everyone’s much appreciated posts in between tears as I can.  It will probably be too late to like them but they will be all read, cherished and in my heart.

My very sincere thanks to Roy @rafinmd for doing the Bon Voyage thread on the day of the funeral.

I will be back when the worst is over.  right now, there is just too much. I was prepared for a Nursing Home, not losing him.  

I thank you all for you kind words - Believe me, they mean a lot.

Blessings to all and thank you ♥️ Vaya con Dios todos.  ❤️ 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 17

36 minutes ago, kazu said:

I was prepared for a Nursing Home, not losing him.  

@kazu.... It might not seem like it right now, but trust me. Your Jose has given you the most special gift,  he knew just when to leave you. 

Edited by canadarocks
  • Like 13

I have not been on here for several days and have just heard the news of @kazuJacqui’s great loss. 😢

Although I never met him, Jacqui, your comments and pictures spoke of a very warm and loving person. May your wonderful memories enfold you. Your love affair was awesome. I’m sorry you did not have more time together, but you will be together in eternity. May God bless and keep you always.

St Louis Sal

• Like 12

1 hour ago, kazu said:

the grief is overwhelming but please know, I will be reading everyone’s much appreciated posts in between tears as I can.  It will probably be too late to like them but they will be all read, cherished and in my heart.

{{kazu}}

• Like 7

@ArkansasTraveler2  We live in Oregon, so driving up is the easy answer for us.  I know others who take the train from Seattle.  The delay at the border mid-week is only about 15 minutes.  We'll see how we do in a couple of hours as we are timing when we arrive at Canada Place.  I'll try to post again later today or on Friday from Juneau with how everything goes.

• Like 1

Jacqui we (Peter and Harry) are sorry about your loss. Although I have not posted much I have followed your struggles and did not want to bother you.     We were on several private excursions with you and Jose and decided you were very nice people.

Peter and Harry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1