Possibly stupid question about Freestyle Soda

Sorry if that is obvious, but I couldn't find an answer...

I'm booked to go on the Rhapsody of the Seas this summer, and later on the Anthem of the Seas. For both, I'll likely have the refreshments drinks package. This won't be my first time with Royal Caribbean, but the last time was ~7 years ago and I didn't have a drinks package.

Now, with drink packages, I know I get soft drinks from the Freestyle dispensers, and to use them I have to use the special cup given. If I understand correctly, the cup is personal (with a unique chip) and reusable. So how do I get it washed then? From last time, I don't recall seeing any dish washing facilities for passenger use near the freestyle machines, or anywhere else for that matter.

17 minutes ago, cello56 said:

In the sink in your cabin? 

Thanks! That's the immediate thought, but it didn't seem right to me:

• Cabins don't come with dish soap and a suitable sponge as far as I can remember. Hand soap and toiler paper can be used in a pinch, but that's surely not what is intended by Royal? Just rinsing is not sufficient for a container holding sugary drinks.
  • Not a single other piece of onboard crockery or cutlery has to be washed by guests on any cruise I've been on, so it is slightly strange that an up-charge offering will involve that?

Probably missing something basic here...

Edited by IgKh
Spelling
  • Like 1

Why not bring a small leak-poof bottle filled with some detergent and a small sponge or absorbent paper towels to use when cleaning your cup --- you can use the hot water from your cabin facet.  This is what I plan to do with my cup.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, IgKh said:

Thanks! That's the immediate thought, but it didn't seem right to me:

• Cabins don't come with dish soap and a suitable sponge as far as I can remember. Hand soap and toiler paper can be used in a pinch, but that's surely not what is intended by Royal? Just rinsing is not sufficient for a container holding sugary drinks.
  • Not a single other piece of onboard crockery or cutlery has to be washed by guests on any cruise I've been on, so it is slightly strange that an up-charge offering will involve that?

Probably missing something basic here...

The difference is you own the cup, it's yours, so you wash it.

You could always skip the freestyle machines and get drinks from the bar. They'll give you a fresh glass. Or bring a small bottle of detergent and a sponge.

Me, I just rinse it in the cabin and let it air dry. I'm crazy like that. LOL

Edited by dcgrumpy
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I was just on the Explorer last week and purchased the soft drink package. You get the Cup you can use is the coke machines, you can fill that cup at any bar and you can also just order a soft drink at any bar or in the dining room without the cup.  They won’t give you cans though.  

As far as cleaning the cup I just rinsed it out every day in the sink in our room.  You could packs some dish soap if you really wanted to do a total clean.  I was never concerned since I was the only person drinking from the cup.  

Edited by volk904

2 hours ago, dcgrumpy said:

The difference is you own the cup, it's yours, so you wash it.

You could always skip the freestyle machines and get drinks from the bar. They'll give you a fresh glass. Or bring a small bottle of detergent and a sponge.

Me, I just rinse it in the cabin and let it air dry. I'm crazy like that. LOL

Living on the edge^^^^. LOL…

How hard is it to rinse  cup? 🙂

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, newcruzer2 said:

Screenshot_20220506-152332_Chrome.jpg

Where do you find these???? My mother would love them

EDIT- never mind, just saw the other post.... 😞

Edited by celoplyr
Adding stuff

46 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Is it bad that I let the grandkids go all week long with never washing their cup?

I bet you let them drink out of a garden hose??!!  How will they ever grow up? :classic_biggrin:

OP, I didn't have any dish soap, just used one of the wash cloths and wiped the cup and top down in the sink and let it dry over night.  As others have suggested, you could probably ask for a new one part-way through the cruise.  Enjoy!!

Edited by jk04
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, IgKh said:

So how do I get it washed then? From last time, I don't recall seeing any dish washing facilities for passenger use near the freestyle machines, or anywhere else for that matter.

The cruise line does not wash it for you. 

There are several options: (1) stateroom sink; (2) stateroom shower; (3) public bathroom sink; (4) washy washy sink at buffet; (5) dip in pool where there is salt water and chlorine. We've done it in all locations except #5 which is eeewww. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2