On Harmony now, wife got Covid!

3 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

You said we are “trending in the wrong direction”

What else could that mean other than more cases?

Meaning there is more cases now on ships compared to 5 and 6 weeks ago on ships. What is not hard to understand?

Doesn't matter one bit what is going on, on land. Royal has to make their ships as safe as possible otherwise it hurts their reputation. It that means putting in place protocols of some kind again. Then that is what they should do.

Something is still going on, on their ships, otherwise all their crews would be mask less by now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Different ship, but I developed minor COVID symptoms in the middle of the night just before docking back in Seattle on Quantum of the Seas yesterday. Took an antigen test as soon as I got home, and it came up positive. Feeling like absolute dog poo today, but not nearly as bad as a lot of people have reported.

Despite all the precautions, it's obviously possible for people to test negative before boarding, but still be carriers and spread the virus around the ship. It is what it is, and it won't stop me from cruising.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, SeafaringKangaroo said:

Different ship, but I developed minor COVID symptoms in the middle of the night just before docking back in Seattle on Quantum of the Seas yesterday. Took an antigen test as soon as I got home, and it came up positive. Feeling like absolute dog poo today, but not nearly as bad as a lot of people have reported.

Despite all the precautions, it's obviously possible for people to test negative before boarding, but still be carriers and spread the virus around the ship. It is what it is, and it won't stop me from cruising.

Good for you, live your life.

I am sure the "dog poo" will pass quickly. Good luck

24 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

And I am saying there are not more case than there were 5-6 weeks ago, not appreciably so anyway. (BTW in post 225 you said specifically that there were more cases on ships; so make up your mind)

Crew masking has little to nothing to do with cases onboard.

Allure February-crew masked

Allure March- crew masked

Liberty May-crew not masked (not consistently anyway)

5 , 6 weeks ago positive reports were like one every 3 or 4 days on CC, now there are 2 or 3 everyday on CC..... seems like appreciable more to me.

Lets wait another 2 or 3 weeks from now and lets just see if Royal makes any changes, if they do I was right, if no changes you were right.

43 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

5 , 6 weeks ago positive reports were like one every 3 or 4 days on CC, now there are 2 or 3 everyday on CC..... seems like appreciable more to me.

Lets wait another 2 or 3 weeks from now and lets just see if Royal makes any changes, if they do I was right, if no changes you were right.

Way, way too small a sample (and not controlled at all) to make any conclusions from.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BND said:

Way, way too small a sample (and not controlled at all) to make any conclusions from.

I agree, when you are on a cruise and ask people if they heard of Cruise Critic, most say no never heard of it.

So likely there are even more positive onboard we aren't even hearing about. Only one that knows true totals is Royal  Caribbean and they aren't even saying a word.

So believe what you want.

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I agree, when you are on a cruise and ask people if they heard of Cruise Critic, most say no never heard of it.

So likely there are even more positive onboard we aren't even hearing about. Only one that knows true totals is Royal  Caribbean and they aren't even saying a word.

So believe what you want.

I believe that the facts are you need a larger sample and a control in order to come up with any conclusion.  And, it's not just me who believes that, it's how it's actually done in the real world.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Maybe more, maybe not.  Bottom line, RC is complying with requirements of the CDC,  or you better believe they would have been examined with a microscope even more so.

The approved protocols are in place…..all we do is choose whether or not to cruise under them….pretty simple.

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, BND said:

I believe that the facts are you need a larger sample and a control in order to come up with any conclusion.  And, it's not just me who believes that, it's how it's actually done in the real world.

Agree, would be super easy if Royal was more transparent with information but we know that will never happen.

And why is the crew still wearing masks?

Edited by Jimbo

2 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

So likely there are even more positive onboard we aren't even hearing about.

And just as many with no issues that we never hear about.  

Happy cruising or happy whatever you are doing non-cruising to all!

11 hours ago, Jimbo said:

And why is the crew still wearing masks?

That's already been answered in this thread....perception.  It makes some pax 'feel' safe.  It's a business, and a safe assumption that they will do what's best to run their business profitably.

• Like 5

Covid debate aside, I am finding this thread helpful. When I first booked it was under the assumption that if we got quarantined at least we'd be in our JS. Seeing now that people are being quarantined on a low deck without a balcony changes the game for me. The thought of that gives me anxiety. While whatever cabin is fine if you can leave it, being stuck there for days is another story. I'll definitely be watching closely over the next few months so that I can make an informed decision before final payment.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, mkmaj said:

Covid debate aside, I am finding this thread helpful. When I first booked it was under the assumption that if we got quarantined at least we'd be in our JS. Seeing now that people are being quarantined on a low deck without a balcony changes the game for me. The thought of that gives me anxiety. While whatever cabin is fine if you can leave it, being stuck there for days is another story. I'll definitely be watching closely over the next few months so that I can make an informed decision before final payment.

I think that will happen eventually just like with Noro or any other illness.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BND said:

I think that will happen eventually just like with Noro or any other illness.

That's what I'm hoping. At this point, I've been vaccinated, boosted, and had Covid twice (those spikes love me, I guess) so I'm not concerned about getting very ill but I am concerned about being stuffed in a tiny cabin with no balcony drinking coffee out of a soup container 😉. I would, however, drink coffee out of a shoe if it meant being quarantined on a balcony.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Just now, ocean sounds said:

hope you both feel better soon!  
What ship are you on?  What stateroom type did they move you to?  In Another thread the OP was moved to an Oceanview on deck 3 (Allure) 

Thank you. Ovation - and the same, an ocean view deck 3. 

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but they took out the carpets. 

Not ordered coffee so can't confirm on the containers. Did receive soup in a soup container though. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sorry for your wife, OP. It must be miserable being forced to have her isolate, alone in a cabin, while you are free to roam. This has, at least IMO, ruined your vacation.

Lessons learned from this. If I get the sniffles, or DW does,  we'll just ride it out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Based on the reports in the group elsewhere for a Carnival cruise, there are many more people testing positive when they get home than when the protocols were in place(I know, based on anecdotal evidence and a small sample size).  Of course the case count will increase as protocols and passengers attitudes relax and passenger loads increase  (If you believe the protocols are useless then just think about a larger number of people in a small area).  The questions are how many more, how fast, and at what point (if there is some point) will they feel they need to reimpose protocols.  If the press is starts to latch on to this they will blow it out of proportion.  And if the cruise lines do anything to lower the numbers, the press will do the same.  It is a no win situation.

I won't jump in the container debate.

Edited by MrMarc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

Based on the reports in the group elsewhere for a Carnival cruise, there are many more people testing positive when they get home than when the protocols were in place(I know, based on anecdotal evidence and a small sample size).  Of course the case count will increase as protocols and passengers attitudes relax and passenger loads increase  (If you believe the protocols are useless then just think about a larger number of people in a small area).  The questions are how many more, how fast, and at what point (if there is some point) will they feel they need to reimpose protocols.  If the press is starts to latch on to this they will blow it out of proportion.  And if the cruise lines do anything to lower the numbers, the press will do the same.  It is a no win situation.

I won't jump in the container debate.

Makes me wonder if the increased numbers have anything to do with allowing unvaxxed kids and their unwashy-washied hands grappling buffet spoons, piling up in the kids clubs, etc to sail.  Hey, kids sail free! 

Seems less likely that vaxxed adults, socially distancing in the sunshine and following the guidelines are the primary spreaders. 

I don’t think the cruise lines will ever reimpose more stringent protocols because they’re hemorrhaging money as it is and need the business. If they were truly concerned they’d never have allowed 100% sailings and anyone unvaxxed especially children. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, zeroed said:

Makes me wonder if the increased numbers have anything to do with allowing unvaxxed kids and their unwashy-washied hands grappling buffet spoons, piling up in the kids clubs, etc to sail.  Hey, kids sail free! 

Seems less likely that vaxxed adults, socially distancing in the sunshine and following the guidelines are the primary spreaders. 

I don’t think the cruise lines will ever reimpose more stringent protocols because they’re hemorrhaging money as it is and need the business. If they were truly concerned they’d never have allowed 100% sailings and anyone unvaxxed especially children. 

I have seen very few adults adhering to any protocols on my last 2 cruises since the rules became suggestions.  There were a lot that were not even when they were requirements.  They are very concerned, but it's about generating revenue.  So far there have not been any reports of serious illness connected to a ship.  Personally considering the demographics and sheer number of people cruising, I actually find that a bit hard to believe, but that's their story.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, zeroed said:

del

Edited by bucfan2

31 minutes ago, zeroed said:

I wouldn't blame the children. 🙄

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Were pretty close on the Wonder on the TA that just finished sailing.

Wow!  That's a lot of cases. I wonder if the crew is able to prevent the infected from leaving their cabins?

On 5/10/2022 at 11:09 AM, RFerrington said:

Renee, very sorry to hear that you are sick.  Hope you feel better very soon.

Thanks Raye.

On 5/10/2022 at 11:09 AM, Biker19 said:

What would you do if you tested negative (including the one provided by medical)? 

I would probably stay in the cabin for a day or two until I didn’t feel crappy. When I feel crappy I don’t really feel like going out and about.

On 5/10/2022 at 11:19 AM, Jimbo said:

Wish others were like you, if they were there would be a lot less cases on ships now and we wouldn't be trending in wrong direction where protocols might have to go back to again like before. 2 steps forward 3 steps back.

Since you are in your cabin now, any idea how many other cabins down below have positive passengers in them also?

Not sure but I will ask. They probably won’t tell me but it never hurts to ask.

5 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Wow!  That's a lot of cases. I wonder if the crew is able to prevent the infected from leaving their cabins?

They would probably call security and have them stay outside their door. I have seen this before (pre covid). Not sure what the offense was though.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

From another thread the captain reported on last sea day they had 3% of total onboard testing positive.     If it was 170 people that would have been a total of 5651 people onboard.    There are others that have tested positive after disembarkment and they are quarantining in hotels in Barcelona before they can fly home to the US and there are some that flew home to the US and then tested positive.       Not sure what happened on this TA crossing as the other crossings do not have reports of covid or at least not as many.    

No word of any serious illness just a hassle if traveling internationally and need that darn test to fly back to the US.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1