The Daily for Thursday 05/12/2022

richwmn

Good morning and thanks all!  We had a grilled cheese earlier this week with fresh basil, yum!  
Chronic fatigue is no joke,  I had a good several years bout of it after radiation treatment.  So @rafinmdgive yourself time, and hopefully things will improve.  

I have to agree with Jacqui, not sure why we pay more for gas and our dollar is down when we produce it?   They tell us our dollar drops when oil is low, so now why is it lower?  Hmmm…

@Cruising-along probably a good idea to test first with so much undetected Covid,  wouldn’t want the stress of Covid and Vaccine at the same time. 

1 hour ago, AncientWanderer said:

Good morning from the Eurodam in Alaska.  We’ve been blessed with lovely weather, even this early in the season.  The mountains are beautifully snow-capped, but we’ve had sun peaking through most days.  

The flowers on the Eurodam are especially nice right now. They were lovely for Mother’s Day.  These are at the entrance to the MDR.

6583D9ED-0EA5-4E1E-A0CF-8D8D7DB7096C.thumb.jpeg.0730a646b28cd4034da9c902a583888e.jpeg

It was bright and sunny for gold-panning in Juneau.

83B8DEB4-475D-4211-A977-314D5C3AACFA.thumb.jpeg.9c099c7c3feba01d3309dba19ddc4c6a.jpeg

And the sail-away from Sitka was nothing short of spectacular.

623BC75E-3B23-4CB7-8D65-66B6FED4CD80.thumb.jpeg.b245ed22fda449aca9bdfdba70de0037.jpeg

It’s great to be back in Alaska on a BHB.  ❤️

Glad you are having such a lovely  cruise!  

stay safe and enjoy the sunshine! 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, richwmn said:

and Limerick Day

We lived in Limerick, ME, for a few years. Here is a Limerick to celebrate that time:

A man from Maine, it’s said,
was very mixed up in the head:
he’d squirt his wife
with butter and spice,
and then take a lobster to bed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 23

Aloha! Thanks for the Fleet Report and for kick starting the Daily! We had an enjoyable day trip to Kileaua Point Lighthouse yesterday. It’s also the most northern tip of the Hawaiian Islands as well as the furthest Western lighthouse in America. It’s a huge bird sanctuary as any white specks along the cliffs are birds.

Today we get back into vacation mode. Pick out a partial shaded area plop down on a chaise lounge read and look for whales! It’s late in the season as most are migrating back to Alaska but there’s always a stray or two.

Get any more relaxed I might need a stretcher to get to the lounger!😎 Enjoying Kauai time!

Enjoy the rest of your day.

image.thumb.jpeg.be251402a3f420d1d9bea541c747ed91.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d41e29de0c41bcad3fa08f62e5cf7ede.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.0c2334af596beb9223c16722fda5e0e6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e4f10f17867779c11cc181a9be29ea73.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d154903c8ef97026579ae18baee2485d.jpeg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

DH is doing fine after his oral surgery work.  Next appointment is in September!  Who knew this implant business would take a year to accomplish? 🦷

@smitty34877very good news the work is complete on DD and she'll be home later today.  

@Horizon chaser 1957nice to hear you're out f Covid jail.  Rest as much as you want and no guilt!

@AncientWanderersuch pretty photos of Alaska.  The mountains are gorgeous!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Cotes de Provence, France

Well today’s wine led me on a wild goose chase, since it is a wine region. But I have learned a bit about this wine region. And I chose this particular wine because rosé wines are what this region is famous for, the price was reasonable, and the blend included a grape variety that I had never heard of before - Rolle. All released vintages have very good ratings. And it is even available at Walmart. Prices start at $19.98.

Chateau d'Esclans Cotes de Provence Whispering Angel Rose 

cotes-de-provence-rose-2011-chateau-d-esclans-cotes-de-provence-whispering-angel-rose.jpg

This Provençal wine is a blend of Grenache, Rolle (Vermentino), Cinsault, Syrah and Mourvedre. 

This light pink wine has strong strawberry, pepper, and citrus notes followed by a slight aftertaste of anise and bright acidity.

Excellent choice of wine, @cat shepard.  It is definitely getting to be rosé season.

According to Wikipedia there are 5,000 - 10,000 varieties of Vitis Vinifera, from which most wines are made.  (One notable exception would be the Concord grape which is Vitis Lambrusca and is used in for multiple popular Kosher wines.)  A vast majority of wines are made from just a few "noble" Vitis Vinifera varieties, and you can probably guess what they are.  So, it is not surprising to stumble onto a wine that made from an unfamiliar grape variety.

I had also never heard of the Rolle grape, but then your report gives another clue.  Rolle is the French name for what in Italy is called Vermentino.  Vermentino is popular in multiple wine regions of Italy, but it seems to be particularly important in Sardinia.  Vermentino di Sardegna is fairly easy to find in the U.S,

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

ALL GOOD THINGS MUST COME TO AN END

Well today was a busy day.  We had to scrap the golf cart tour because of Covid Testing and I cannot even begin to tell you what else.

We tested Negative.  YAY!

i will tell you this.  Verifly is a ROYAL PAIN.   

We finally got everything done.  It took no less than three hours.  Verifly decided to go down for scheduled maintenance in the middle of my work.

We finally got it done.

Then it was time to pack.

Then have dinner.

We had to bid goodbye to all our friends at the hotel.  Many hugs and tears until the next time.

Arriverdercci Roma and all our friends. 

Our Rome by Night Tour last night was the best of all the ones we had.  Thank you RomeCabs.com.  it couldn’t have been better.

So tomorrow we leave Rome at 10:10 AM Rome time on AA 239 to Dallas.  Arriving at 2:50 pm.

We have a short connection for our flight to JAX at 4:45 pm on AA 2449 arriving in JAX at 8:09 pm.

Hopefully we will make the connection.  We ordered 5 Star Service to use up our AMEX benefits.

Hopefully they will help us make the flight.

Hope everyone is well.

We are going to bed early since we have to get up at 5 am tomorrow for a 7 am pickup.

I hope our flight home is better than the flight to Barcelona that was delayed until midnight.

The next time I post I will be back in the good old USA.

Take care everyone and stay safe.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 34

Good afternoon everyone. I spent three hours with an organizer and we cleaner out tons of papers from files that should have been shredded years ago. it feels great. She will be coming back because I have loads more to do.

The June we cruised to  Alaska there was a heat wave and every day was over 90 degrees. The people who came from FLorida to escape the heat were not happy.

Up on the glaciers we still needed some warm weather clothing. We went dog sledding out of Juneau and it was the best excursion we ever took.

image.thumb.jpeg.7064dac3c198ae7f8df5ed47c7b453e9.jpeg

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 26

7 hours ago, rafinmd said:

i

The morning visit was a little over 2 hours at a funeral home.  Now significantly poorer, I do have a pre-paid plan for what will happen when I am no longer here (memorial services, cremation, and ashes interred with my parents in central Florida).  Something I have not wanted to do and procrastinated seriously.  I think I was pushed over the edge by Jose’s rapid decline.

Roy

We finally had our wills re-done - Jacqui's ordeal spurred us on.  Now we need to arrange our cremation plans.

• Like 18

3 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

@57redbirdWe just signed with a prepaid cremation plan that covers us wherever in the world we might be. I can give you info if you're interested. Our rep. is from Puyallup. s.k.hill at comcast dot net

Info to patspal162 at yahoo dot com    please & thanks.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Good morning from the Eurodam in Alaska.  We’ve been blessed with lovely weather, even this early in the season.  The mountains are beautifully snow-capped, but we’ve had sun peaking through most days.  

The flowers on the Eurodam are especially nice right now. They were lovely for Mother’s Day.  These are at the entrance to the MDR.

6583D9ED-0EA5-4E1E-A0CF-8D8D7DB7096C.thumb.jpeg.0730a646b28cd4034da9c902a583888e.jpeg

It was bright and sunny for gold-panning in Juneau.

83B8DEB4-475D-4211-A977-314D5C3AACFA.thumb.jpeg.9c099c7c3feba01d3309dba19ddc4c6a.jpeg

And the sail-away from Sitka was nothing short of spectacular.

623BC75E-3B23-4CB7-8D65-66B6FED4CD80.thumb.jpeg.b245ed22fda449aca9bdfdba70de0037.jpeg

It’s great to be back in Alaska on a BHB.  ❤️

Nice photos of yourselves and the scenery.

Graham

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

We finally had our wills re-done - Jacqui's ordeal spurred us on.  Now we need to arrange our cremation plans.

I made funeral plans for both of us but did not pay in advance. But, at least I know what I want and how much it will cost. A lot. Not sure if we need to redo our wills. But we do have POA and living wills and health care directives. I've even had to write to some health care insurance companies to get permission to speak on Sam's behalf. Hippa rules.

• Like 15

8 hours ago, dfish said:

I also meet with the surgeon this afternoon to go over the ultrasound results and devise a plan of action.  It is time to do something other than test.

Best of luck today, Debbie 🤞 

8 hours ago, rafinmd said:

The morning visit was a little over 2 hours at a funeral home.  Now significantly poorer, I do have a pre-paid plan for what will happen when I am no longer here (memorial services, cremation, and ashes interred with my parents in central Florida).  Something I have not wanted to do and procrastinated seriously.  I think I was pushed over the edge by Jose’s rapid decline.

That’s a very wise and thoughtful gesture, Roy.  Jose and I had meant to do it but never gotten around to it.  Thankfully, I knew what he wanted but I will do the same to save my family angst and decisions.  Good for you 👍 

8 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It was a warmer 57F at dawn but we stayed home to exercise because we have DH's oral surgeon appointment coming up in a couple hours. 

Hope all goes / went well for your DH.

8 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

7 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Jacqui, I hope you have the energy to get some planting done today.  After the stress of the last several months, please try to pace yourself and don't get too tired.  I liked your description of the oil shortage.  BTW, DH's software program was installed in the refinery near you, he wasn't the one to do the installation though.  The person who did the installation was accidentally sent to St. Johns first.

LOL - bet whoever booked the ticket for the installer spelled St. John instead of Saint John - that’s not the first time a person (or their luggage) has ended up in Newfoundland instead of New Brunswick 😉 

5 hours ago, ger_77 said:

@kazupace yourself; Rome wasn't built in a day.  And remember you're planting for yourself and you'll have to tear everything down at the end of season, so there's that.

It takes several days to do this, Gerry.  I ran out of earth so I had to quit - LOL.  I’m not just planting for myself - I’m planting for Jose too ♥️ Assuming covid becomes less worrisome, there will be a Celebration of Life on our back deck - exactly where he liked to host his summer parties.  He was the ultimate host and I think he would like that.

5 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! Today will be our first official day out of Covid jail, according to the calendar.

Yay on the get out of covid jail card 👍 

4 hours ago, JazzyV said:

I just called the dentist to get on the cancellation list as this tooth issue is worrying me; one came up while we were talking, so I'm in for 7AM tomorrow.

So glad to hear about the cancellation and you going in tomorrow - Best of Luck to you 🤞 

2 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

I hope our flight home is better than the flight to Barcelona that was delayed until midnight.

So glad to hear your test was negative and you will be on your way home.  I hope your flight is much better than the one to Barcelona and all goes smoothly.  Very safe travels to you both.

56 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

I made funeral plans for both of us but did not pay in advance. But, at least I know what I want and how much it will cost. A lot. Not sure if we need to redo our wills. But we do have POA and living wills and health care directives. I've even had to write to some health care insurance companies to get permission to speak on Sam's behalf. Hippa rules.

Carol - if I many be so bold, depending on Sam’s needs, you may be wise to consult a lawyer regarding both your will and POA.  I’ll email you.  I learned a lot in the last 5 months and had a trustee set up for Jose’s care in case in both my new will and POA. 

@smitty34877good news on your DD 👍 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon!  I've been busy with family and trip planning.  I wanted to comment on yesterday because I was a medical receptionist and surgery scheduler for most of my career with medical assistant and front desk supervisor thrown in.  A receptionist does more than receive patients, most definitely, I ran one alone for 10 years.  The hours were horrible.  Also, I love grain bowls and have a salmon one from Pioneer Woman that is a favorite.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/salmon-and-veggie-grain-bowl-3409067

I think I need to make that this weekend!

Today's days are to be celebrated for sure!  I have suffered with Chronic Fatigue since having Valley Fever and Mono in 1985.  My naps are what keep me going.  Nurses are so important.  I was never good at a limerick but enjoyed hearing them.  The MM quote is sad, she was always looking for love.

I like quesadilas but not sure about Italian flavors.  I prefer Mexican flavors.  The drink sounds delightful and so does the wine.  Never been to the port but thanks for the pictures.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 21

I meant to go to the supermarket this morning for my last big shopping trip before the cruise, but I woke up too early and realized that I wasn't sufficiently awake. Instead, I went right after lunch, another time when the store isn't very busy. Until the day I leave for the airport, I won't be going to anything I don't really have to.

Lawn mowing  is next, and planting tomorrow when it won't be as sunny and hot -- I prefer to put plants in the ground on a cloudy day, and seeds right before rain. Dinner will be tuna salad with cucumber and tomatoes, because I have too much of both on hand.

• Like 21

1 hour ago, 57redbird said:

When I was in the process of trying to get my husband into a hospice care facility (however...he died at the hospital)...I had two problems with his Will....I only had an unsigned copy at home and had to make a wild dash to our safety deposit box for the signed original...then make a copy.....as the care facility needed his POA (Power of Attorney)...

Thankfully....the POA was included at the bottom part of the Will....

Just this morning....I typed up a blank form of the Will with all the correct legal terms ....as all the adult members of our family...children and grandchildren....now want to have their own Wills....and they will then have their signatures notarized at their banks....

We have all learned how important it could be.....

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, kazu said:

Carol - if I many be so bold, depending on Sam’s needs, you may be wise to consult a lawyer regarding both your will and POA.  I’ll email you.  I learned a lot in the last 5 months and had a trustee set up for Jose’s care in case in both my new will and POA. 

@kazu   Jacqui....great minds....!!  We were posting at the same time....

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Rowsby said:

@kazu   Jacqui....great minds....!!  We were posting at the same time....

Nice to see you here.  I know you are going through a difficult time and I pray that God is making this stage of your life a bit easier and giving you the strength to carry on 💜 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, kazu said:

It takes several days to do this, Gerry.  I ran out of earth so I had to quit - LOL.  I’m not just planting for myself - I’m planting for Jose too ♥️ Assuming covid becomes less worrisome, there will be a Celebration of Life on our back deck - exactly where he liked to host his summer parties.  He was the ultimate host and I think he would like that.

But of course, I hadn't even thought of that.   I'm sure he'd love knowing the Celebration of Life for him would be held in a place so dear to his heart.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

Well, the surgeon wants to remove the gall bladder and really thinks that is the problem.   So, surgery is scheduled for June 1.  I have an afternoon slot, so I will be able to do the Meal of the Day and I should be home that afternoon/early evening.  Gall bladder surgery is generally outpatient.  

I do have an appointment with the urologist on June 3rd.  Urologists get updates on adrenal masses as well.  That is my back up plan if I still have that nagging pain in my side.  We are moving in the right direction.  Finally.

• Like 30

2 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

ALL GOOD THINGS MUST COME TO AN END

Well today was a busy day.  We had to scrap the golf cart tour because of Covid Testing and I cannot even begin to tell you what else.

We tested Negative.  YAY!

i will tell you this.  Verifly is a ROYAL PAIN.   

We finally got everything done.  It took no less than three hours.  Verifly decided to go down for scheduled maintenance in the middle of my work.

We finally got it done.

Then it was time to pack.

Then have dinner.

We had to bid goodbye to all our friends at the hotel.  Many hugs and tears until the next time.

Arriverdercci Roma and all our friends. 

Our Rome by Night Tour last night was the best of all the ones we had.  Thank you RomeCabs.com.  it couldn’t have been better.

So tomorrow we leave Rome at 10:10 AM Rome time on AA 239 to Dallas.  Arriving at 2:50 pm.

We have a short connection for our flight to JAX at 4:45 pm on AA 2449 arriving in JAX at 8:09 pm.

Hopefully we will make the connection.  We ordered 5 Star Service to use up our AMEX benefits.

Hopefully they will help us make the flight.

Hope everyone is well.

We are going to bed early since we have to get up at 5 am tomorrow for a 7 am pickup.

The next time I post I will be back in the good old USA.

Take care everyone and stay safe.

God Bless,

Terri

Have  a very  safe  flight home.

Jim.

• Like 13

31 minutes ago, dfish said:

Well, the surgeon wants to remove the gall bladder and really thinks that is the problem.   So, surgery is scheduled for June 1.  I have an afternoon slot, so I will be able to do the Meal of the Day and I should be home that afternoon/early evening.  Gall bladder surgery is generally outpatient.  

I do have an appointment with the urologist on June 3rd.  Urologists get updates on adrenal masses as well.  That is my back up plan if I still have that nagging pain in my side.  We are moving in the right direction.  Finally.

Whew!  Thank goodness it will be soon.  You have a cruise in July, right?  I can't remember when in July...

• Like 13