Are only organised excursions allowed at Mediterranean ports or can we roam free now?

Snapsh0t

We're thinking of booking our first cruise since those we booked for 2020 & 2021 were cancelled and we're looking at a couple of 19-night Med cruises starting from Southampton. Our problem is that we like to do our own exploring of the destination ports but are aware that this has not been possible and it's been just organised tours with severe penalties for leaving the bubble. Does anyone know if this has been generally relaxed or if it's country-specific or up to the cruise line?

Apologies if this should be elsewhere. I couldn't see a generic enough sub-forum under Mediterranean so posted here.

You should check on the Med sub forums, because each country can have different restrictions, but we don't know what countries you are stopping in. To the best of my knowledge, from reading those forums, most countries are allowing you to wonder freely. But you really need to check the countries you are stopping in.

I'm not aware of any major European countries that currently do not allow independent shore visits. 

We are on a cruise next week that visits Spain, Gib, France, Italy,  Greece and Turkey, and can go ashore independently in all of them.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I'm not aware of any major European countries that currently do not allow independent shore visits. 

We are on a cruise next week that visits Spain, Gib, France, Italy,  Greece and Turkey, and can go ashore independently in all of them.

Just remember that the rules can change at any time. Whatever is allowed or not allowed now could very well change. For instance there have been ships that sailed with masks recommended that ended up with masks required.

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Just remember that the rules can change at any time. Whatever is allowed or not allowed now could very well change. For instance there have been ships that sailed with masks recommended that ended up with masks required.

That is obviously the case,  but I was stating what the current situation was. 

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

That is obviously the case,  but I was stating what the current situation was. 

No problem with that, but I thought it should come with the warning that things could change at any time and quickly.

FP2 masks are required on public transport in Italy.  A hop on hop off bus and a port shuttle would probably be classed as public transport, so make sure you have a few FP2 masks with you if going to Italy.

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

FP2 masks are required on public transport in Italy.  A hop on hop off bus and a port shuttle would probably be classed as public transport, so make sure you have a few FP2 masks with you if going to Italy.

And as a further note: For those of us in the US, the N95 or KN95 is the equivalent of the FP2 and is acceptable.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are in Europe now where we have been traveling 3 weeks in France, Germany, Poland and the Czech Republic after a cruise that stopped in some ports of Spain, Italy, and France.  We have not had any restrictions other then a few rare places (like public transport in France) where masking was theoretically required.  For the most part the Europeans have shrugged off COVID and resumed a normal life.  Tourist places seemed pretty normal with the usual crowding and folks enjoying their freedom.  Some have told us they are concerned that restrictions might return in the Fall, but that is pure speculation.

Hank

On 5/12/2022 at 7:43 PM, ontheweb said:

It was also the case last year where some cruise lines had more stringent requirements than others. I'm not sure if that will be the case this year.... stay tuned.  Perhaps some lines are reluctant to give up selling more shore excursions. 😲

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2022 at 9:14 PM, Snapsh0t said:

We're thinking of booking our first cruise since those we booked for 2020 & 2021 were cancelled and we're looking at a couple of 19-night Med cruises starting from Southampton. Our problem is that we like to do our own exploring of the destination ports but are aware that this has not been possible and it's been just organised tours with severe penalties for leaving the bubble. Does anyone know if this has been generally relaxed or if it's country-specific or up to the cruise line?

Apologies if this should be elsewhere. I couldn't see a generic enough sub-forum under Mediterranean so posted here.

Just been to Italy 4 stops, Croatia, Montenegro, and Greece, as well as Corfu and Sicily,

We were free to wander at all stops. No restrictions whatsoever.

Absolutely none. Total freedom.