Runny noise gives 24 hours of isolation on Odyssey. Be warned.

We thought we would be extra cautious and ask for a Covid test. The wife had a runny nose and I had a mild sore throat. The medic came to our room and gave us a PCR test which took an hour to get the result phone call from the doctor. Even though we tested negative we we told to isolate for 24 hours. We were very disappointed to learn that being extra cautious cheats one out of a day of cruising.  

Edited by rtanders
Typo
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, rtanders said:

We thought we would be extra cautious and ask for a Covid test. The wife had a runny nose and I had a mild sore throat. The medic came to our room and gave us a per test which took an hour to get the result phone call from the doctor. Even though we tested negative we we told to isolate for 24 hours. We were very disappointed to learn that being extra cautious cheats one out of a day of cruising.  

Sorry but That's what you get for calling the doctor on board for a runny nose. I wouldn't have told them anything. If I tested negative to board and am vaccinated then I'm not telling anyone anything else on board that I have a runny nose. If the result is  being quarantined for a full day for nothing and testing negative  then that just solidifies my approach. If my leg falls off I may call them. 

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 52
  • Haha 10

1 minute ago, tallnthensome said:

I wouldn't have told them anything.

OTOH, if you had nothing planned on a sea day (or working from the cabin anyway) and RCI will pro rate a refund for the isolation day (and give you Stream).......

• Like 4

There is no reason to make you isolate for 24 hours with a neg test.  They are overreacting.  The vast majority of people with runny noses or sore throats either have a  cold or allergies.

• Like 20

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

OTOH, if you had nothing planned on a sea day (or working from the cabin anyway) and RCI will pro rate a refund for the isolation day (and give you Stream).......

Agree. My Daughter had Sinus Infection, even knew that going talk to Dr. These are Common with her and she got Zpack, all no charge. She assumed right 24hr Hold in Cabin and after 2nd CV Neg Test returned to normal receiving $$$ for that downtime. Times we live in, no biggie

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Lesson to ALL - Pack your own test for self testing.  If negative, no need to get cruise line involved.  Do not throw package in trash can.   Repack in own suitcase.

Exactly.  We brought 4 extra tests with us just in case 

Figured if any symptoms started we’d test and if negative we’d still test again in 24-48 hours 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BND said:

There is no reason to make you isolate for 24 hours with a neg test.  They are overreacting.  The vast majority of people with runny noses or sore throats either have a  cold or allergies.

A sore throat usually indicates an infection. Best not spread that to your fellow passenger. 

And requesting the test was the absolute correct thing to do. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

A sore throat usually indicates an infection.

That's not true at all, especially for those traveling from different areas with different climates. You can get a sore throat from many sudden weather changes.

I live at high altitude, very low humidity. I always get a sore throat when I come to sea level.

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Like 15

1 hour ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Lesson to ALL - Pack your own test for self testing.  If negative, no need to get cruise line involved.  Do not throw package in trash can.   Repack in own suitcase.

those antigen tests aren't always accurate, especially on the first day of being symptomatic

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BND said:

I have springtime allergies, I am so tired of saying no I don't have covid I have allergies! My nose is never not stuffy or runny, my throat is sore most of the time in spring. If I tested for that all the time there would be no tests for anyone else EVER.

• Like 18

3 hours ago, rtanders said:

We thought we would be extra cautious and ask for a Covid test. The wife had a runny nose and I had a mild sore throat. The medic came to our room and gave us a PCR test which took an hour to get the result phone call from the doctor. Even though we tested negative we we told to isolate for 24 hours. We were very disappointed to learn that being extra cautious cheats one out of a day of cruising.  

I appreciate you sharing your experience. Thanks for the head’s up! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jerseygirl629 said:

Getting tested is the RIGHT thing to do. Thank you for being thoughtful and kind to your fellow passengers! I’m sure it is appreciated by them and RCL. 

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

And requesting the test was the absolute correct thing to do. 

I agree.  Preventing possible spread to others is much appreciated.  

In light of the negative test, I also wonder why they asked for the 24 hour isolation.  Maybe just an abundance of caution.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the firsthand experience as opposed to relaying a friend of a friend, who overhead it while waiting at Starbucks.  

We've always traveled with our own test kits, Mexico, Vegas, cruise etc.  If we started to believe either of us have contracted it we tested ourselves.

I would perhaps understand the 24 quarantine if they used a rapid antigen, but with a PCR that I don't understand.  

With that being said there is no way we are reporting to medical to get tested without first testing ourselves.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Agree. My Daughter had Sinus Infection, even knew that going talk to Dr. These are Common with her and she got Zpack, all no charge. She assumed right 24hr Hold in Cabin and after 2nd CV Neg Test returned to normal receiving $$$ for that downtime. Times we live in, no biggie

Sorry, But I disagree - that would be a biggie for me.  Totally ridiculous to be quarantined for a sinus infection.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1