Question from a potential first time Oceania cruiser.

Stockjock

Jazznruby,

No dissenting view from me.  We always book the O Life with Free Excursions and then we mix in some private tours, and qualify for the Your World Discount. Post Covid and depending on our itineraries, we have done more Ship Tours just to protect against port cancellations and impacts on the various private tour providers.
When it comes to drinks, we have invites to every ship party. We receive free drinks and they are not limited to the normal Champagne and wine and Rum Punch drinks,. We just as for what we want and the waiter always comes through for us. We always travel with friends and carry a minimum of a case of wine in a wine suitcase. Happy Hours always provide us with some great drink choices and when we want something special, we order what we want.  In addition, we always have $500-1,000 in SBC to spend compliments of O or an Agency or as a NCLH Shareholder so there is little worry about a big bill at the end.  Oops, unless my DW goes shopping 💰👍🙏🤪

Happy sailing,

Mauibabes

30 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

Jazznruby,

No dissenting view from me.  We always book the O Life with Free Excursions and then we mix in some private tours, and qualify for the Your World Discount. Post Covid and depending on our itineraries, we have done more Ship Tours just to protect against port cancellations and impacts on the various private tour providers.
When it comes to drinks, we have invites to every ship party. We receive free drinks and they are not limited to the normal Champagne and wine and Rum Punch drinks,. We just as for what we want and the waiter always comes through for us. We always travel with friends and carry a minimum of a case of wine in a wine suitcase. Happy Hours always provide us with some great drink choices and when we want something special, we order what we want.  In addition, we always have $500-1,000 in SBC to spend compliments of O or an Agency or as a NCLH Shareholder so there is little worry about a big bill at the end.  Oops, unless my DW goes shopping 💰👍🙏🤪

Happy sailing,

Mauibabes

Understood. I was just referring to the OBC (both from O and from TA) as a means of covering all (or at least the majority) of our shipboard expenses.When we do tours, it's usually DIY. Appreciate your POV, and you sound like folks we'd enjoy meeting one day. Who knows?

👍

Sounds like a possibility.. We have some friends in Bend and Corvallis and brother In Albany 🤪👍

Just trying to share that there are always ways of enhancing our Oceania cruises without breaking the bank.  
Our next O is January 18, on Marina and a side trip to Iguazzu Falls  and then one one Vista.

Ciao,

Mauibabes 

16 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

👍

Sounds like a possibility.. We have some friends in Bend and Corvallis and brother In Albany 🤪👍

Just trying to share that there are always ways of enhancing our Oceania cruises without breaking the bank.  
Our next O is January 18, on Marina and a side trip to Iguazzu Falls  and then one one Vista.

Ciao,

Mauibabes 

Oh, have you been to Iguazu Falls?? Were there in 2006 when we did SA on Celebrity. Not only was it the highlight of the trip, it was a highlight of my life! Hate to be trite, but it was truly magical, almost spiritual. Don't miss the jet boat ride behind the falls. Thrilling!

1 hour ago, mauibabes said:

Jazznruby,

Happy sailing,

Mauibabes

Do you know if they will charge the $25 corkage fee on half bottles?

8 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

They will keep unfinished bottles for you and you can have them retrieved in any venue onboard – no extra corkage since you've already paid.  That makes it more economical to bring regular bottles (cheaper per oz. and better selection at wine stores).

No. Not talking about saving a full bottle overnight. A half bottle is a smaller size bottle. About half the size if 750 mil.Since half the size some restaurants in the US charge half the normal corkage fee.

Only one time we had a 375 ml bottle of Port and a friend paid the Corkage but I think it was the same $25 fee.  We have never been concerned by the Corkage fee because we usually bring a very good bottle of Napa or Sonoma Valley wines in the $50-75 range and if that bottle we purchased on board, it would be well over $100. Once a friend brought her favorite White Zinfandel on board that she bought for $4 at Costco and with the Corkage, it was still well under the cost of that wine on board.  
Back to the 375 ml bottles, expect to pay the $25 Corkage fee and if it is less, good for you.  
Mauibabes

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

No. Not talking about saving a full bottle overnight. A half bottle is a smaller size bottle. About half the size if 750 mil.Since half the size some restaurants in the US charge half the normal corkage fee.

I thought I had made it clear that I know what a half-size bottle is.  My point was that the selection of half-size bottles is very limited and the prices are always more than 1/2 the same wine in a full-size bottle – so why go to the bother of bringing them onboard when you can so easily have the 'other half' of the full-size bottle kept for your later consumption?

1 hour ago, oskidunker said:

It’s a bottle! It has a cork (or screw top)! It’s $25 corkage whether the bottle is larger or smaller than 750 ml.

Remember that O will store your unfinished 750 ml bottle. OR (if it’s decent wine, I’ll help you finish it off once it’s opened. 😎

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, oskidunker said:

I would just drink it in your cabin with some snacks/canapes  😉

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I thought I had made it clear that I know what a half-size bottle is.  My point was that the selection of half-size bottles is very limited and the prices are always more than 1/2 the same wine in a full-size bottle – so why go to the bother of bringing them onboard when you can so easily have the 'other half' of the full-size bottle kept for your later consumption?

I’m the wine geek. At dinner, we sometimes only want a 375 of really nice Champagne to start out with appetizers. Then on to something else. Being itb, I don’t always like the way some bubblies are kept over. Would rather drink what we want and have an empty bottle than their preservation of my leftovers.

I typically buy my great ports and stickies in 375s. Couple 2-3 ounces at a time is all we typically drink. I only open 750s for larger groups. I can always guzzle to finish, but prefer to drink as we like. Some nights a port, maybe another night a Chateau Yquem or other delightful Sauternes. So a 375 last a couple different meals. 

• Like 2

Wine oxidizes. At home I use  a nitrogen spray, PrivateReserve, which keeps wine fresh for up to a week. If I buy a bottle and they save it until the next day it wont taste as good. White wine lasts longer. As we get older , we are drinking less wine. I recently bough several half bottles of Grgich Hills and StagsLeap, about $25 for half bottles. 

my thought was I could pack a few half bottles in my luggage and they would take up less space in checked luggage from San Francisco.may or may not do this. 

appreciate all the comments. 

A few years ago I brought magnums on a Princess cruise when we had a large group of people. This was when you could carry on wine on an airplane. Have a wine carrier that can be checked as luggage. Did that once and they lost it but found it before we left. Princess did not charge a higher corkage fee for the magnums but I think they do now. 

so my theory  is if you charge more for magnums then maybe half bottles would be less but not likely today. 

Also if  I bring wine from the US to the UK the duties probably make it not worth it .maybe no duties on a couple bottles.  

i shy away from ordering glasses of wine-because there is no way to know how long the bottles have bern open. I sent several back on Celebrity and they were fine opening a new bottle.Would never buy the drinks package for this reason plus we normally might have only one mixed drink a day. 

Why would you bring bottles of wine from the US to the UK? I have been able to find great wine shops in the UK, with an excellent selection of wines ( primarily European) at good prices. Buy a case, pre Embarkment, bring aboard, and go from there.

There are multiple places on this earth that if you want wine ( or any alcohol for that matter) you’d better bring it yourself from afar.  The UK isn’t one of those.🥂

21 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

A few years ago I brought magnums on a Princess cruise when we had a large group of people. This was when you could carry on wine on an airplane. Have a wine carrier that can be checked as luggage. Did that once and they lost it but found it before we left. Princess did not charge a higher corkage fee for the magnums but I think they do now. 

so my theory  is if you charge more for magnums then maybe half bottles would be less but not likely today. 

Also if  I bring wine from the US to the UK the duties probably make it not worth it .maybe no duties on a couple bottles.  

i shy away from ordering glasses of wine-because there is no way to know how long the bottles have bern open. I sent several back on Celebrity and they were fine opening a new bottle.Would never buy the drinks package for this reason plus we normally might have only one mixed drink a day. 

You can still carry on wine on a plane, you just have to buy it after security. 

14 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Why would you bring bottles of wine from the US to the UK? I have been able to find great wine shops in the UK, with an excellent selection of wines ( primarily European) at good prices. Buy a case, pre Embarkment, bring aboard, and go from there.

There are multiple places on this earth that if you want wine ( or any alcohol for that matter) you’d better bring it yourself from afar.  The UK isn’t one of those.🥂

I prefer California wines. Not much in UK wine shops. I have checked. Also I have about 200 bottles of high end California wine . I do prefer French Champagne. 

Edited by oskidunker

Here's another question.  On the R-Ships, I noticed there are very few inside cabins, which I don't prefer.  But if one were to book an inside, is there any reasonable chance at some form of upgrade, or is that unlikely?

1 minute ago, FetaCheese said:

Did an inside GTY on Insignia.  No upgrade, not even a paid one ever offered.  Cabin was nice, but really missed the natural light.  Go for the outside or veranda. 

In normal times on O’s popular itineraries, upgrades opportunities are few and far between and seldom complimentary. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

In normal times on O’s popular itineraries, upgrades opportunities are few and far between and seldom complimentary. 

1 hour ago, FetaCheese said:

Did an inside GTY on Insignia.  No upgrade, not even a paid one ever offered.  Cabin was nice, but really missed the natural light.  Go for the outside or veranda. 

If I book, I think I'll do a C2 or better.  We've never been fans of inside cabins, and the price differential isn't all that much.

49 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

If I book, I think I'll do a C2 or better.  We've never been fans of inside cabins, and the price differential isn't all that much.

C 1  is better JMO

Location location location  😉

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

C 1  is better JMO

Location location location  😉

Had a C1, as  a paid upgrade, from Oceanview.   $300 total,  really worth it, as they offered deck 7 fwd C1.  7004 I think.  There are 4 C1s, 2 each, decks 6, 7.  They are OV, no balcony, but as deep as verandas.  Really a fine cabin.

1 minute ago, FetaCheese said:

Had a C1, as  a paid upgrade, from Oceanview.   $300 total, 

What did you upgrade from?

C1's are Oceanview cabins

I prefer the deck 4 ones  not fond of the forward cabins  due to the "motion of the ocean"  😉

8 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

What did you upgrade from?

C1's are Oceanview cabins

I prefer the deck 4 ones  not fond of the forward cabins  due to the "motion of the ocean"  😉

Don't remember, probably a OV GTY.  yes, C1s are OV, but the 4 I mentioned are larger, also a larger window, not a porthole.  Yes, we did have some motion at times

Edited by FetaCheese
Addl info