Time frame for pre-cruise testing

PSR

Since we don't need a test to fly into any enter European country, why are Oceania and NCL still requiring tests to board the ships? Can't they see that this precruise useless testing requirements having many many people, like Hawaiidan cancel their 2022 European cruises? With so many people who may have tested negative on boarding day coming up positive on their cruise it is a waste of money. Precruise testing is not keeping covid off of cruise ships. Time to stop the nonsense NCLH.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

Since we don't need a test to fly into any enter European country, why are Oceania and NCL still requiring tests to board the ships? Can't they see that this precruise useless testing requirements having many many people, like Hawaiidan cancel their 2022 European cruises? With so many people who may have tested negative on boarding day coming up positive on their cruise it is a waste of money. Precruise testing is not keeping covid off of cruise ships. Time to stop the nonsense NCLH.

I agree and I wish Oceania would revise or remove this statement on their website:

"Additionally, we strongly recommend that all guests consult with local government websites to determine the country-specific information for your port of embarkation as many countries require a negative COVID-19 PCR test that is not older than 48 or 72 hours prior to arrival in-country."

It is no longer true that many countries require a negative Covid test. I just returned from a river cruise in Europe, went through 5 countries and none of them required it.  The cruise line required everyone to be fully vaccinated but did not require a pre-embarkation test.  As far as I know, the cruise was Covid-free.  No issues.

• Like 3

I know the cruise lines have to require a pre cruise covid test if they sail from the US since the CDC requires it. But if European countries don't require covid tests to enter then cruises embarking in Europe should not. Requiring pax to be vaccinated is fine as most of us are.

sunlover12 which cruise line did you sail with that did not require a pre cruise covid test to board?

16 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

...of what year???

2022...................   Generally speaking ,  when a month   or event is cited without giving a year,  it is concluded that it is within the  current calendar  year.  For example  when you say merry Christmas or happy birthday you do not say happy 2022 birthday or Merry  2022 Christmas..............

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

2022...................   Generally speaking ,  when a month   or event is cited without giving a year,  it is concluded that it is within the  current calendar  year.  For example  when you say merry Christmas or happy birthday you do not say happy 2022 birthday or Merry  2022 Christmas..............

Given the slow way things are going with Covid, that was meant as an attempt at humor, Dan.

22 hours ago, susiesan said:

I know the cruise lines have to require a pre cruise covid test if they sail from the US since the CDC requires it. But if European countries don't require covid tests to enter then cruises embarking in Europe should not. Requiring pax to be vaccinated is fine as most of us are.

sunlover12 which cruise line did you sail with that did not require a pre cruise covid test to board?

Uniworld

It’s getting very stressful to cruise.

Negative test to board

Negative test to fly back to USA.

Regent doing testing on back to back cruises.

Testing required by Bermuda to even stay onboard the ship. You get tested and are positive you get quarantined. 
Trying to find a test site in a foreign country 

Having to bring a test with u 

Couples being separated while in quarantine 

Did I leave anything out?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, mrstanley said:

It’s getting very stressful to cruise.

Negative test to board

Negative test to fly back to USA.

Regent doing testing on back to back cruises.

Testing required by Bermuda to even stay onboard the ship. You get tested and are positive you get quarantined. 
Trying to find a test site in a foreign country 

Having to bring a test with u 

Couples being separated while in quarantine 

Did I leave anything out?

no.....I hate to agree, but  may be the death knell of cruising and the dawn of  return to land travel... and we have no idea what games might line around the corner.  At some point you have to ask youself is it worth it???? Pay large sums for little in return except hassle.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

no.....I hate to agree, but  may be the death knell of cruising and the dawn of  return to land travel... and we have no idea what games might line around the corner.  At some point you have to ask youself is it worth it???? Pay large sums for little in return except hassle.

I hear you. Apprehensive already forOct 1 cruise. If this blows up I am probably done after 25 cruises. Too old to go through this crap much longer. 

• Like 1

I fully understand O's caution about this  - even though I am all but certain to fall foul of it for our cruise which departs Friday.

Yesterday, I woke up with a cough. Did  a lateral flow test this morning and am positive. We have our pre-boarding tests scheduled for Wednesday afternoon and will attend for these - just in case, unlikely as it seems. In any event, we'll need "official" results to make our travel insurance claim (and who knows how much they'll try to wriggle out of meeting the claim).

I cannot begin to tell you just how depressing this all is. My 70th birthday cruise was cancelled at the beginning of the pandemic and now it looks as though we won't get our Golden Wedding cruise. These celebrations can never be recaptured - any future cruise will be just a cruise not an "event".  And we'd specifically picked this UK round trip, some 12 months back, as we felt it was going to be much safer than flying to a port.

Edited by Harters

2 hours ago, Harters said:

I fully understand O's caution about this  - even though I am all but certain to fall foul of it for our cruise which departs Friday.

Yesterday, I woke up with a cough. Did  a lateral flow test this morning and am positive. We have our pre-boarding tests scheduled for Wednesday afternoon and will attend for these - just in case, unlikely as it seems. In any event, we'll need "official" results to make our travel insurance claim (and who knows how much they'll try to wriggle out of meeting the claim).

I cannot begin to tell you just how depressing this all is. My 70th birthday cruise was cancelled at the beginning of the pandemic and now it looks as though we won't get our Golden Wedding cruise. These celebrations can never be recaptured - any future cruise will be just a cruise not an "event".  And we'd specifically picked this UK round trip, some 12 months back, as we felt it was going to be much safer than flying to a port.

sorry to hear  that you have tested positive & will miss the cruise

Sometimes you cannot plan these things  .."stuff  happens"

Life  has a way of coming and biting you in the you know where

It could be worse

Hopefully you will find away to celebrate  your Anniversary

Feel better soon

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Harters said:

Aaauugh. So sorry to hear this. You're right about being unable to recapture special occasion celebrations. My husband and I have cancelled, or the cruise line has cancelled, no less than 5 cruises in the past 2 years so I feel your pain. Based on what I've read on Cruise Critic regarding quarantining, etc. we've decided to not plan any cruises for the foreseeable future and concentrate instead on road trips (airplane travel also seems fraught right now with all the cancellations). You live in a gorgeous part of the world. Take a road trip and stay in fabulous accommodations! Not the same I know, but it's something. Hope you feel better soon.

• Like 3

Will I have to be re tested on second leg of oct 1 18 day cruise ? The second half is being sold separate and goes back to Portsmouth before continuing on. It is not really what I would consider back to back . 

7 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Will I have to be re tested on second leg of oct 1 18 day cruise ? The second half is being sold separate and goes back to Portsmouth before continuing on. It is not really what I would consider back to back . 

I know people that stayed on board Regatta in May were tested the last day of each cruise.  All sailed from San Pedro, two were round trip, the third terminated in Vancouver.   

Edited by LNielsen

Harters, I’m so sorry and hope you are okay.  

I just disembarked from Sirena’s Barcelona to Southampton sailing.  A few days before the sailing , the testing rules changed.  We had to get a PCR. test  “3 days” prior or an antigen test “1 day “ prior.  My TA called Oceania who said the requirements were for 72 hours/ 24 hours before embarkation.  Because we were flying out early, we had to schedule Inspire testing from the hotel in Barcelona.  

We are home now but our friends are still in England.  They tested positive at the end of the cruise.  Only the American citizens on the ship were required to test negative to return to our own country.  I have emailed the White House and my representatives to request an end to this policy.  I hope other travelers do the same.  

Edited by aqua
  • Like 2

I am not sure about the statement that only Americans are required to have a negative test before they enter their own country.  Is this hyperbole?  I know a Brit this Spring who was required to quarantine in Norway  before returning to the UK in April.  I understand the frustration, but have always thought that it is better to err on the side of caution.  

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, aqua said:

Harters, I’m so sorry and hope you are okay.  

I just disembarked from Sirena’s Barcelona to Southampton sailing.  A few days before the sailing , the testing rules changed.  We had to get a PCR. test  “3 days” prior or an antigen test “1 day “ prior.  My TA called Oceania who said the requirements were for 72 hours/ 24 hours before embarkation.  Because we were flying out early, we had to schedule Inspire testing from the hotel in Barcelona.  

We are home now but our friends are still in England.  They tested positive at the end of the cruise.  Only the American citizens on the ship were required to test negative to return to our own country.  I have emailed the White House and my representatives to request an end to this policy.  I hope other travelers do the same.  

Thanks but I really prefer that people don't go on cruises and bring new strains of covid back home with them and likely infecting the people on planes seated near them so I emailed the White House and requested they ignore you.

• Haha 2

@Harters

My DW solved that Golden Anniversary travel dilemma, she declared the day after our 49th through to the day before our 51st Anniversary to be the Celebratory timeline.  Hopefully that approach will benefit you as well. Covid got in the way but we were still able to celebrate many times, even if we were stuck at home some of the time. 
So sorry to see you are ill and so close to sailing but hopefully you have a mild case of it.  Some friends who have been in England or France in the past month recently tested Positive while on their trips and both were totally asymptomatic but could not fly for 10 days to meet the negative test airline policy. One friend in Paris just had to wear a mask and was allowed to travel around the city during the whole 10 days. 

Bottom line, get well and then get back to celebrating your 50th because it is SPECIAL and don’t let the cruise grinch ruin it.  
Ciao, Mauibabes