The Daily for Friday 05/27/2022

richwmn

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I haven't fried anything since we bought our air fryer.  The older you get, the more you realize you should have worn sunscreen as a younger person.  I haven't had a wig since I was in my late teens; my hair was longer, so I bought a pixie cut wig and absolutely loved wearing it.  

I have a different take on today's quote because I've reached the age where I can read fairy tales again - to my grandsons.  A great bonding time for us.

I've had today's wine selection and give it a thumbs up!

Wishing a safe Memorial Day weekend to all our friends in the US as you remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice for freedoms.

I'm stiff and sore today as yesterday was the day we put all the plants outside.  Everything that came from the garden centre was transplanted into heavy duty pots that have real soil in them, rather than the "garden mix" that doesn't hold water longer than a few hours.  DH had a morning meeting, so I spent about 3 hours playing in the dirt and was pleased with the results when it was done.  In the afternoon we realized we still had a couple of spots that needed something, so back to the garden centres again until we found what we could both agree on.

I think I'd like to try today's menu suggestion, but will tuck the recipe away for another day.  It's Friday night pizza night at our house, so we'll check the online menus to see what appeals to us.  We'll have pizza on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for the people of Ukraine, and for the community of Uvalde for all they're having to endure.  Extra also for our Daily family who are struggling to get through their day.  We will salute the people on the celebration list with a solid "clink" of the glasses.   Stay well, get your boosters, wear masks when you need to and be safe.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 34

51 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich.  I'll salute sunscreen and No Fry days but fortunately cancer has spared my hair so no wigs.  I like the quote.  Been to Pago Pago in 2018 on the Crystal Symphony.  The meal sounds interesting.  My alternative is Spaghetti All’ Arrabbiata and NSA vanilla ice cream, my consecutive cruisers embarkation lunch on the the Adventure of the Seas:

cons26.jpg

Today’s care list:

Robb Elementary School
Malinda with stage 4 cancer
Wildfire near durango scots
Heartgrove older sister in hospice nearing the end
Buddy with continuing problems ad problematic bone scan
From the rotation:
1Angelcat facing expensive medicines
Strength, peace, and healing for kazu
Cruzin Terri with continuing health problems
oceansaway17

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam housing refugees
All but 1 BHB with guests
Hawaii getaway for Rowsby
Surgery set for dfish 1 June
cunnorl weekend wedding trip to Naples(FL)
Mamaofami’s grandson
kb4683 and StLouisCruisers meeting at sea
1 day for Dismomx5 and lazey1 (Koningsdam 5/28 to 6/4)
rafinmd (Adventure OTS to May 31), Atexsix (Discovery Princess to 5/29), kochleffel (NCL Jade to 5/29) and StLouisCruisers and kb4683(Island Princess  to 6/29) at sea
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Graham.

• Like 16

Good morning all!

It's an overcast, blustery day here in the PNW.  Hoping that will improve later.

Not much chance of frying here with the heavy cloud cover, but if it does clear, I'll have my sunscreen on!  The only experience I have with wigs is when I went with my two sisters so my DS with cancer could try some on.  We turned it into a fun experience and she had a great time. The cancer care center in her city provided them plus scarves.

I'll pass on the merlot today, but the drink and meal both sound good.  It will probably be a mish-mash dinner for me tonight, as DH is working and won't be home.  We haven't been to Pago Pago yet, but it's on the Grand Australia itinerary in '24.  Thank you for any and all photos!

Last night we went to the Member Appreciation Day at the zoo with DD and DGSs -- in the drizzle and rain.  We were there only an hour, DD was late meeting us, and the crowds were crazy.  Who knew there were so many members LOL?!  The parking lots were filled to the brim. It was nice just being with them though.  They had free eats and activities, nicely done.

Today I need to get my hair cut, and hopefully some outdoor work done if the weather cooperates.  

@smitty34877Terry Happy Birthday to your son today!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, all! No worries here about Frying with or without Sunscreen today. It is pouring, and is supposed to continue all day. I love the quote. I believe it refers to entering, and finally leaving, that stage in growing up where everything is serious and sophisticated and childhood delights must be cast aside. Eventually, people pass beyond it and can enjoy fantasy and wonder without caring about what people will think.

Tonight we head to my nephews house in North Vancouver. His youngest daughter has her year end ballet performance, so we go out for dinner and then to the show. I’m looking forward to a wonderful evening with the family!

@lindaler best of luck with the rest of the move, I know it must be hard to say goodbye to the cabin!

Happy Friday, everyone, especially those spending Memorial,Day Weekend on a BHB!

998F6ED3-4A13-4724-AD36-A657C8D0EB9A.thumb.jpeg.373007020d04dfdc7d2d8f37ed1d66c6.jpeg

• Like 31

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning. After two days of rain that measured 8” in my rain gauge we awake to a beautiful day. It should be nice throughout the weekend with high’s in the 80’s.

We have been to Pago Pago and will see if I can post some pictures later on.

Watched Sandi and her husband sail out of Port Everglades last night and I do hope they enjoy their adventure.

Lot’s of things to reflect on this weekend. The tragedy that occurred in Texas, the folks of Ukraine and especially those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for their country throughout our beginning. Special thoughts for close comrades that I had the honor and privilege of serving with.

Have a safe Memorial Day weekend but make time to remember our brave fallen heroes.🇺🇸🙏

A salute to  all  my  brothers  in  arms  God bless  each  one.

Jim.

• Like 24

On a very overcast morning on Adventure of the Seas today's sunrise will need to be from a different May 27.  This is from 2016 on NCL Breakaway, then docked at Kings Wharf in Bermuda.

dawn0527.jpg

Roy

• Like 22
  • Thanks 5

Another bright sunny Durango day. Rain? I have about forgotten what it is. Our wildfire is reported as 35% contained. It is burning only 1 1/2 miles from the west edge of town.... but it is in an area that is so rugged that the only access is by foot. We have several hotshot crews working it together with the continued aerial attack. Winds are supposed to increase this afternoon and then through the weekend. We all have fingers crossed. Meanwhile life goes on as usual. The bicyclists are in town for the Iron Horse race from Durango to Silverton. They are supposedly racing the train.... but the bicycles always win. The road north will be closed most of Saturday morning and there will be lots of cursing tourists on the other side of the passes. This year, to add to the disruption they are adding a shorter race from Ouray to Silverton. I plan to stay off the roads this weekend as much as possible.

The meal for the day looks good and I have been to Pago Pago. Hope to return on the Grand Australia in 2024. Right now that seems and is a long way off.

I will be spending this weekend working on restoring my kitchen to a usable form. The final touchup is to be completed today. Then I guess I am going to have to pay for all of this. That is going to hurt.

Take care all. Stay healthy and as positive as you can during these stressful times. 

Susan

• Like 25

Good morning from sunny central Texas.  

I try not to fry when working the yard, and I have the sun screen sitting next to my sun glasses so I'll remember to use it.  Never was into wigs.

I like today's quote.

The meal reminds me of the Turkish meatballs we had in Trabzon.  They are more like a patty, but very good.  I doubt I'll ever make them or today's meal.  We'll pass on the drink, but the wine sounds good with a very attractive price.

We have not been to Pago Pago, but I did find @StLouisCruisers  Sandi's pictures from April 5, 2021, and I'll post them soon.  We saw Sandi and DH as the Island Princess sailed.  I hope they are enjoying a wonderful cruise.

@lindaler  Linda, I'm glad the major part of the move is finished and that you found time to kayak.  Hope the sale of your cabin and the drive back to Mobile goes smoothly.

@ottahand7  Glad you got all the systems at the cabin working.  Hope the new batteries arrive soon.

@smitty34877  Terry, I hope that with help, Tana and her wheelchair are able to get up to the patio.  Being outside should lift her morale.

@aliaschief  Bruce, thank you for your pictures of Pago Pago.  It is on the bucket list.

@Crazy For Cats  Thank you for your lovely pictures, especially the bearded iris.  It is such an unusual color combination.

@Horizon chaser 1957  Safe travels to your nephew's, and enjoy his DD's ballet performance.

@durangoscots  Susan, I hope the winds this weekend don't make that fire more dangerous.  We've driven the highway between Ouray and Durango, and I definitely would not want to ride a bicycle on it, much less do a bicycle race.  🤣 🚲

Lenda

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Here are Sandi's @StLouisCruisers post and pictures of their stop in Pago Pago.  The Italics are mine to distinguish her post from my part.

DH and I took a 2014 South Pacific cruise on Golden Princess which visited both the capital of Samoa (Apia) and Pago Pago, American Samoa.  One thing I will never forget is the man on the ship who was arrested in Pago Pago for stealing a laptop on the ship.  I always wondered what happened to him.  That's a long way from home to be in legal trouble!  

We did not take a tour out into the countryside so I was glad to see what that looked like thanks to @daisybertie.  We walked around the town and then had a couple of U.S. National Park Service team members come aboard the ship to give a presentation on the local animals, birds and plant life.  I am sure no other Park Service members wear the garment called a lavalava.  Just don't call it a skirt!  Also one thing we were told is Pago Pago is pronounced Pango Pango, and I would like to know if anyone here has ever been told that before?  Please verify if you know that for sure.  I wouldn't want to offend our American Samoan people.

View of the little harbor as our ship backed into it's place at the pier in Pago Pago.

enhance

The townspeople were all set up on the dock with their tents and local items for sale.  A lot of shopping went on.  Flower arrangements did very well that day.enhance

enhance

At the edge of the dock area was the main street where folks could meet their tours or head off in either direction for an exploration.enhance

A bus filling up for their tour.enhance

An artist made this dead tree trunk into a work of art.enhance

Instructions on where to go in case of a tsunami warning.enhance

Marketplaceenhance

enhance

Things may be laid back here but I don't advise any animal take a rest in the middle of the street.enhance

Made it easy to mail a postcard back to the mainland from this U.S. Territory.  enhance

I enjoy anyplace that has lush vegetation like this.  enhance

Back on the ship we head the presentation described above from the National Park Service and got to speak to team members.

enhance

Sorry for the quality of the next photo.  

enhance

enhance

The sail away was beautiful that afternoon.  I especially enjoyed the mist over the reefs here.enhance

enhance

enhance

• Like 27
  • Thanks 6

15 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Here are Sandi's @StLouisCruisers post and pictures of their stop in Pago Pago.  The Italics are mine to distinguish her post from my part.

DH and I took a 2014 South Pacific cruise on Golden Princess which visited both the capital of Samoa (Apia) and Pago Pago, American Samoa.  One thing I will never forget is the man on the ship who was arrested in Pago Pago for stealing a laptop on the ship.  I always wondered what happened to him.  That's a long way from home to be in legal trouble!  

We did not take a tour out into the countryside so I was glad to see what that looked like thanks to @daisybertie.  We walked around the town and then had a couple of U.S. National Park Service team members come aboard the ship to give a presentation on the local animals, birds and plant life.  I am sure no other Park Service members wear the garment called a lavalava.  Just don't call it a skirt!  Also one thing we were told is Pago Pago is pronounced Pango Pango, and I would like to know if anyone here has ever been told that before?  Please verify if you know that for sure.  I wouldn't want to offend our American Samoan people.

View of the little harbor as our ship backed into it's place at the pier in Pago Pago.

enhance

The townspeople were all set up on the dock with their tents and local items for sale.  A lot of shopping went on.  Flower arrangements did very well that day.enhance

enhance

At the edge of the dock area was the main street where folks could meet their tours or head off in either direction for an exploration.enhance

A bus filling up for their tour.enhance

An artist made this dead tree trunk into a work of art.enhance

Instructions on where to go in case of a tsunami warning.enhance

Marketplaceenhance

enhance

Things may be laid back here but I don't advise any animal take a rest in the middle of the street.enhance

Made it easy to mail a postcard back to the mainland from this U.S. Territory.  enhance

I enjoy anyplace that has lush vegetation like this.  enhance

Back on the ship we head the presentation described above from the National Park Service and got to speak to team members.

enhance

Sorry for the quality of the next photo.  

enhance

enhance

The sail away was beautiful that afternoon.  I especially enjoyed the mist over the reefs here.enhance

enhance

enhance

Very  nice  photos thank you.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, Dailyites, I've had a busy few days, but I have no idea what I've done!  I did get my new glasses, but DS came by yesterday and says he will need to make some adjustments as they don't go over my ears properly.  

I've been thinking of you all while I did other things, Roy having a good time, and I do hope Tana enjoys the outing today!  

We visited Pago Pago (pronounced Pango Pango) on the old, beautiful, Statendam in 2006.  Our first stop after Hawaii on our way to New Zealand.  This was only our third "cruise" ever, and it was wonderful.  I think we had 8 sea days in a row on the last bit to NZ!  We had wonderful speakers and activities.  

The port

IMGP0713.thumb.JPG.f5b63747c179399c87ebd94228175417.JPG

I guess I went to the same market as Sandi in 2014 - even the same tents!

P1000165.thumb.JPG.1b11c9af248dd06cf480032d144b638e.JPG

We took a ship's tour which took us all over the island.  The churches' ceilings were made of the planks from ships, I seem to remember...

IMGP0720.thumb.JPG.087c830c01e456ed101f08be7dbddc1e.JPG

P1000157.thumb.JPG.0e5b7f674f966cb6e368c6f639053017.JPG

P1000159.thumb.JPG.f591041261eea25a6d1f97a0bf4480c4.JPG

Fatumafuti is two islands, the story is that Fatu and Futi, two "star-crossed" lovers, were eloping, and their canoe sank and they were turned into two rocks coming out of the sea.  Swimming out to this one and planting a blue flag was supposed to bring good luck.

IMGP0719.thumb.JPG.02256b37135d40224e1474b217aca8fd.JPG

P1000151.thumb.JPG.331f5a81ef491a94aecbae04cfe8e2f6.JPG

The Governor's mansion

P1000160.thumb.JPG.c0e9d1eaa0116459616cc9277c2d6983.JPG

We had a great day!  And they fed us local delicacies (covered with flies!)

IMGP0729.thumb.JPG.8cebd231d42516237012b38855ab4e97.JPG

• Like 28
  • Thanks 6

I have a question for Dailyites with IPADs.  How do you set a bookmark.  I have a trick to pull up followed content with the latest posts, and while waiting to disembark yesterday I was trying to get it on my IPAD.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/discover/623

I was trying to get to my blog in Safari but once I started typing it came up with wrong suggestions.  I finally got it all in and got ONE look but when I tried to save the link as a bookmark I was completely unable to do it. Safari comes up with stuff I followed weeks ago but not what I just did 10 minutes earlier.

Roy

• Like 10

Good afternoon, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

I always wear sunblock so no frying here. No wigs here either.

I like the quote. The meal sounds good to me. 

Had brunch with a friend yesterday then she showed me where a smaller thrift store is located where I found some great finds. Then I went and bought my beach wagon and picked up some groceries including something to take to the condo social this evening. Now I should be set for the most part when my DSIL takes his car back tomorrow. My main needs will be produce which is light to carry from Publix which is within walking distance. I am hoping to find a good farmer's market soon, but I have time since I have to have a way to get there. 

Hoping all of our friends who are cruising are having a wonderful time. 

@lindaler I'm glad you made it safely to Mobile and hope the sale and rest of your move go smoothly. We are going through similar experiences this summer. 

@smitty34877 happy birthday to DS. It will be great for Tana to get outside. 

@grapau27 your lunches look delicious.

Wishing each of you a fantastic Friday. 

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily and to all contributors.

Only airfrying here and no frying in the sun if I can help it. Sunscreen is important to help prevent skin cancer; I just got new as my old stuff was a couple of years expired. I don't wig out usually.

True quote. As an adult you find new meaning in many fairy tales.

I'll pass on the meal, but take the drink and merlot.

I haven't been to American Samoa. Thanks for all the pictures.

It was foggy and rainy this morning, now partly sunny, but more storms this evening. It's been a very rainy spring. My county has now been elevated to "high transmission" level for Covid. So most schools are resuming mask wearing. I've continued to wear mine regardless. We're all tired of this and I know many will still congregate for the holiday, hopefully safely.

So sad to hear that the husband of one of the deceased Uvalde teachers also died suddenly, 2 days after his wife, leaving their 4 children without parents.

@kochleffel Cute elephants. I used to collect small ones during my travels.

@lindaler Long drive, and I'm glad you arrived safely! You've got a lot on your plate and it's good your next trip can be more leisurely.

@smitty34877 Happy Birthday to DS! I'm sure it's hard for all schools, administrators, teachers and students after yet another tragedy. It will be nice to have Tana out on the patio.

@grapau27 Nice lunches, and Pauline looks elegant as usual.

@Crazy For Cats Nice garden photos.

@durangoscots I hope the fires aren't worsened by the coming winds. Stay safe!

@rafinmd Roy, when on your blog page in Safari, are you tapping what looks like a page with an arrow to the right of the search field? Then tap add bookmark?

Prayers for the Care List, Ukraine and the lives lost and families devastated by gun violence.

A toast to the Celebration List. Stay safe everyone.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good morning and a big thanks to all those who put so much effort into their posts.
 @richwmnwho creates this lovely place 

@rafinmd for his care and celebration lists

@dfishfor her great recipes

@summer slope for the drinks

@cat shepardfor the wine

@StLouisCruisers@Quartzsite Cruiser and others who so often post photos of the ports

I appreciate the kind sharing and caring and supportive group this has become.  I appreciate the efforts many make to use the @ symbol or multiquote to keep the posts concise.   It doesn’t matter to me how we post,  as most limit posts to less than a handful a day.    This keeps the thread from becoming too lengthy.   

But I have been concerned that we seem to have lost a number of regular posters along the way, of note lately @erewhonAmong others.  

While  we all have busy lives and may disappear at times I do have some concerns that we are experiencing a lot of thread drift and would gently suggest revisiting the guidelines.   

“We realize that in some instances, topic drift happens naturally. However, it does appear to be intentional by certain members. Please be considerate of your fellow members; posting off topic within a discussion -- 'hijacking' -- is boring and only wastes everyone's time. Think twice and, for some of you, even three times before posting off topic in an existing discussion: not "thinking" may result in loss of your posting privileges on Cruise Critic”

• Like 9
  • Thanks 8

53 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I have a question for Dailyites with IPADs.  How do you set a bookmark.  I have a trick to pull up followed content with the latest posts, and while waiting to disembark yesterday I was trying to get it on my IPAD.

Roy, Upper right corner of page click on the square box with the arrow going through it. Scroll down click on bookmark. It will ask if you want to save. Done.

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and a big thanks to all those who put so much effort into their posts.

@cat shepardfor the wine

@StLouisCruisers@Quartzsite Cruiser and others who so often post photos of the ports

I appreciate the kind sharing and caring and supportive group this has become.  I appreciate the efforts many make to use the @ symbol or multiquote to keep the posts concise.   It doesn’t matter to me how we post,  as most limit posts to less than a handful a day.    This keeps the thread from becoming too lengthy.   

But I have been concerned that we seem to have lost a number of regular posters along the way, of note lately @erewhonAmong others.  

While  we all have busy lives and may disappear at times I do have some concerns that we are experiencing a lot of thread drift and would gently suggest revisiting the guidelines.   

“We realize that in some instances, topic drift happens naturally. However, it does appear to be intentional by certain members. Please be considerate of your fellow members; posting off topic within a discussion -- 'hijacking' -- is boring and only wastes everyone's time. Think twice and, for some of you, even three times before posting off topic in an existing discussion: not "thinking" may result in loss of your posting privileges on Cruise Critic”

Well, excuuuse me! 

It is news to me that The Daily has just one topic. I have reported post #4 (from me). Over and OUT.

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, bennybear said:

@cat shepardfor the wine

Hi Bennybear.

As a new poster  on this sweet thread would you be so kind to tell me what thread drift is on here so I don't fall foul of this.

I thought that only applies to a Live from cruise ship review not on a daily thread when posters are reliving what they have done on that day which can vary from cruising eating going for hospital treatment reporting ailments or even sadly death's.

I would like to personally thank all the posters who contribute to make this an enjoyable read every day.

Judy.❤️

• Like 17

Good afternoon.  Well I tried to make stuffed peppers in my ninja, they were good but the peppers were charred.  LOL  It's such a learning experience.  We've been having momentary power outages the last few weeks.  I would write a post and hit submit and the power would go poof.  Been down because of all the problems in the world and in our daily.  I love this place and it is my safe room.

Major prayers for our care list and a big toast to our celebrations. I'm jealous of the cruisers.

Please continue to stay safe, exercise caution, and wear your mask.  It's still out there waiting!!!

• Like 17