NCL Air Does Not Include Seats

thejb0805

You'll need to explain a little more as to what exactly happened. Did the airline overbook the flight and choose people at random to bump, which happened to be you?  That's a beef with the airline.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thejb0805 said:

Booking air with NCL does not guarantee seats.

To expand on what @Sailing12Away said, you do have a seat on the flight. NCL does not make seat selections for you. If you go in to the airline's website or app, you can enter your confirmation number and make your seat reservation. Or, they will assign you a seat when you check in. 

• Like 1

NCL does not control airlines seat assignment policies. Many airlines only offer free seat assignments at check-in and any seat assignments done in advance will incur a fee. If sitting together, and not paying for that privilege, are important then do not book the NCL promo and book your own air on a carrier that does not charge for advance seat assignments. It really is that simple of a choice. 

• Thanks 1

It takes a bit of work but you can assign seats with the carrier.  If you have your reservation number most airline apps allow check in and seat assignments.  I was able to pick seats to and from Rome on all legs of flight.

When the reservation information is made known -

THEN AND THERE

Get to busy selecting and picking the seat assignments.

You want to sit together do it NOW not at the boarding gate

where your options will be the one center seat spaced as far

apart from another center seat as there are rows of seating !

If you are given the reservation locator information you

may be able to go online at the airline website and see

the seats remaining for selection.

At least with some information you can call the airline

and have the selection done that way.

While the cruise line may have a block of seats available

in one section of the cabin (ugh back of the bus) at least

make the effort to get your party seating in the same area.

Also have affinity (miles perks bonus points) with the

air carrier the cruise line selects - find out NOW if you

can upgrade to better coach or business class seating.

Don't wait and be left with meager pickin"s !

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KnATL said:

can't pick seats on Lufthansa without paying$...to pick for free you do it 24 hrs out...kinda stinks..

It's like that on Lufthansa for everyone except elites in their FF program. Same on KLM, btw.

A little more info.

Received the airline info 3 weeks before departure.  NCL letter says that I or my travel agent are responsible for seat assignments.  No free seats left.

This is the first cruise where I did not have seats assigned when the airline booking completed.  First that I've had to pay for seats.  Perhaps the new wave.  Perhaps less expensive.

Next time I'll check options.

Thanks for all of the replies!

9 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Also have affinity (miles perks bonus points) with the

air carrier the cruise line selects - find out NOW if you

can upgrade to better coach or business class seating.

Don't wait and be left with meager pickin"s !

Specific to flights booked through the NCL air promo - they CANNOT be upgraded to a higher class of service using miles.  They are extremely restricted consolidator fares.

2 hours ago, thejb0805 said:

First that I've had to pay for seats

Technically, you don't HAVE to pay for seats, but if you want to sit with your companion I suppose you might need to.

Not always true.  Our group of 10 already had seats assigned when we received the confirmation.  Alaska Airlines one way and Delta the other.  I did go into the respective airlines websites and make a few changes without any trouble or cost.  One couple upgraded to Premier Class on Alaska and paid $21 per person one way.  Again, no problem at all. One persons experience doesn't always mean everyone else will have the same.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Specific to flights booked through the NCL air promo - they CANNOT be upgraded to a higher class of service using miles.  They are extremely restricted consolidator fares.

You won't know if you don't ask or inquire about it - comfort comes with a price miles points

perks loyalty affinity - airlines like to maximize the revenue yield for every seat.

NCL should not care if you add bartered comfort to their restricted seating.

Flying an hour to the port city no big deal - flying 10+ hours transoceanic your body will

certainly thank you for upgrading. If the flight is full not much you can do but if there are

empty seats ask !  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Depends on the airline.  I believe it was Delta that not only would allow an upgrade, you could also bid.  I don't recall seeing anything that said you couldn't use points.

My NCL cruise consultant informed me when I booked about the airfare so no surprises.  He said we may or may not sit together and that it was up to me to go into the airlines website.  Fine.  I'm not going to complain about details when the both of us are flying to Southampton and from Iceland for $900!