Live from quarantine on Royal

Colorado Coasty

58 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

If you look at the CDC guidelines for travel on cruise ship…

Do NOT travel if…

• You tested positive for COVID-19.
    • Do not travel until a full 10 days after your symptoms started or the date your positive test was taken if you had no symptoms.

Thanks.

Currently seems as if some passengers are not doing the 10 day isolation and flying on day 6 , so I can see why cruise passengers are getting confused and conflicting info. 

I’ve just been reading a lot about actual scenarios of people testing positive  while on a cruise in the USA, not talking about other countries. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, bmc alabama said:

My DW is positive and in quarantine on the Crown.  I am negative.  They are saying we can’t rent a car and drive when we get back to Seattle.  I can, but 

Edited by TVlife
Just read other responses

12 hours ago, arizonaperson said:

Thanks.

Currently seems as if some passengers are not doing the 10 day isolation and flying on day 6 , so I can see why cruise passengers are getting confused and conflicting info. 

I’ve just been reading a lot about actual scenarios of people testing positive  while on a cruise in the USA, not talking about other countries. 

That CDC info doesn't say "isolate" for 10 days, it says "don't travel for 10 days".

42 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

That CDC info doesn't say "isolate" for 10 days, it says "don't travel for 10 days".

It does say isolate also:

What to expect if you develop COVID-19 symptoms or are confirmed to have COVID-19 while on board: 

• You will be isolated immediately.
    • The cruise ship will follow its routine protocol for managing people with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 on board. The isolation may occur on board or at a shoreside location.
    • If your ship allows a shortened isolation option for passengers on board then you will have to follow additional public health measures, including dining inside your cabin and properly wearing a well-fitting mask at all times when you are outside your cabin, until 10 days after your symptoms started or your positive test was taken if you did not have symptoms.

What to expect if you are were exposed to COVID-19 while on board:

• You may be tested for COVID-19 and need to quarantine. If you are on a ship participating in CDC’s COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships, you will quarantine based on your vaccination status.
    • If you are not up to date with your COVID-19 vaccines, at the cruise ship operator’s discretion, you will be required to:
      • Quarantine for 10 days after last exposure; or
      • Quarantine for 5 days after your last exposure followed by 5 days of daily viral testing.
    • If you are up to date with your COVID-19 vaccines, at the cruise ship operator’s discretion, you will be required to:
      • Quarantine for 5 days after last exposure; or
      • Be tested daily for COVID-19 for 5 days after your last exposure instead of a 5-day quarantine.
    • Regardless of your vaccination status, during the 10 days after your last exposure, you will need to follow additional public health measures including dining inside your cabin and properly wearing a well-fitting mask at all times when you are outside your cabin (indoors and outdoors).

Just now, PacnGoNow said:

It does say isolate also:

What to expect if you develop COVID-19 symptoms or are confirmed to have COVID-19 while on board: 

• You will be isolated immediately.
    • The cruise ship will follow its routine protocol for managing people with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 on board. The isolation may occur on board or at a shoreside location.
    • If your ship allows a shortened isolation option for passengers on board then you will have to follow additional public health measures, including dining inside your cabin and properly wearing a well-fitting mask at all times when you are outside your cabin, until 10 days after your symptoms started or your positive test was taken if you did not have symptoms.

What to expect if you are were exposed to COVID-19 while on board:

• You may be tested for COVID-19 and need to quarantine. If you are on a ship participating in CDC’s COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships, you will quarantine based on your vaccination status.
    • If you are not up to date with your COVID-19 vaccines, at the cruise ship operator’s discretion, you will be required to:
      • Quarantine for 10 days after last exposure; or
      • Quarantine for 5 days after your last exposure followed by 5 days of daily viral testing.
    • If you are up to date with your COVID-19 vaccines, at the cruise ship operator’s discretion, you will be required to:
      • Quarantine for 5 days after last exposure; or
      • Be tested daily for COVID-19 for 5 days after your last exposure instead of a 5-day quarantine.
    • Regardless of your vaccination status, during the 10 days after your last exposure, you will need to follow additional public health measures including dining inside your cabin and properly wearing a well-fitting mask at all times when you are outside your cabin (indoors and outdoors).

It does say follow the cruise lines protocol.  They may vary somewhat.

These are only guidelines from the CDC.

This morning here in Whittier, I saw a sprinter type van pick up 3-4 people and there luggage dockside. Next came the tour bus. All boarding immediately at the end of gangway. Didn’t see the folks board bus, but there was a lot of luggage on it. Masks are back mandatory. Was this the Covid transfer bus? We are in last side room on Aloha deck port side and we started seeing more and more folks out in Caribe( Covid deck) balconies.We mask and hope all of you affected have mild symptoms. 

Aloha!!

On 6/3/2022 at 9:50 AM, Desert Cruisers said:

Same thing had happened to us on the Queen Elizabeth.  Despite an enforced indoor mask requirement (except for dining and drinking), I tested positive the day before arrival in LA after 3 onboard negative tests. My husband tested negative.   Neither of us have symptoms. A bunch of passengers - all in isolation cabins - were disembarked in LA and sent to quarantine hotels. Five days of quarantine (on ship and in hotel) was mandatory. Cunard required 10 days before they would cover our flight home. CDC recommends no travel for 10 days.  

However, Cunard admitted that we could leave after 5 days but would have to make and pay for onward arrangements. We are only a 1-hour flight from LA so we are leaving tomorrow (day 6). 

If you are in the USA already, you may want to  talk with Princess about this option if you are willing to pay out-of-pocket. 

Thank you!

Well, disembarkation was a hot mess. Misinformation and confusion. Then, nearly 2 hours on a bus full of COVID exposures/positives, including some with active symptoms. Taken to a 1.5 star hotel Princess fully contracted out just for its quarantine passengers. Up till disembarkation, I was willing to give Princess the benefit of the doubt, but not after that hot mess. Needless to say, I found my own accommodations and have given up on Princess. 

Hope my fellow cruisers have a better outcome/experience. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Yehootu said:

This morning here in Whittier, I saw a sprinter type van pick up 3-4 people and there luggage dockside. Next came the tour bus. All boarding immediately at the end of gangway. Didn’t see the folks board bus, but there was a lot of luggage on it. Masks are back mandatory. Was this the Covid transfer bus? We are in last side room on Aloha deck port side and we started seeing more and more folks out in Caribe( Covid deck) balconies.We mask and hope all of you affected have mild symptoms. 

Aloha!!

Yes - that was the COVID march out. 

2 hours ago, P23r23s23 said:

Yes - that was the COVID march out. 

Take care and may your trip home be uneventful, and we will be watching how you are doing. Now mask back on the ship. Aloha

• Like 1

Thank you!

Well, disembarkation was a hot mess. Misinformation and confusion. Then, nearly 2 hours on a bus full of COVID exposures/positives, including some with active symptoms. Taken to a 1.5 star hotel Princess fully contracted out just for its quarantine passengers. Up till disembarkation, I was willing to give Princess the benefit of the doubt, but not after that hot mess. Needless to say, I found my own accommodations and have given up on Princess. 

So sorry to hear this.  Hope

you recover quickly.  Let us know

how you are doing.  

• Like 1

Thank you!

So did you inform the hotel of your choosing you were Covid positive?

4 hours ago, P23r23s23 said:

Thank you!

Can you share the name and location of the hotel? I hope you are doing better.

3 hours ago, kiwimum said:

So did you inform the hotel of your choosing you were Covid positive?

My positive was May 30 (symptoms the day before), so based on my vax status the CDC and cruise protocol requires that after my 5 day quarantine, I mask while out and about but doesn’t require I quarantine. Princess confirmed this as well. In fact, princess offered everyone the option to book their own arrangements. (And I am not the only person from my bus at this hotel). 

The hotel brand I prefer has a cleaning protocol. Yes, I confirmed they are following that.  Unlike half the passengers on my bus, I take this sh*t seriously. I actually wear an N95 (I double masked on the bus and in any public transportation). Sadly, I counted 5 just in my view that either had their mask below their nose or on their neck. EVEN after all we went through. I am just disgusted at this point. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 6/3/2022 at 2:32 AM, bmc alabama said:

On a positive note, she won’t need to test for either of the other 2 cruises we have upcoming this summer as Princess says they will provide a recovery letter.

I think she will still have to be tested. Then, if the test is positive, is when you show a recovery letter.

5 hours ago, P23r23s23 said:

My positive was May 30 (symptoms the day before), so based on my vax status the CDC and cruise protocol requires that after my 5 day quarantine, I mask while out and about but doesn’t require I quarantine. Princess confirmed this as well. In fact, princess offered everyone the option to book their own arrangements. (And I am not the only person from my bus at this hotel). 

The hotel brand I prefer has a cleaning protocol. Yes, I confirmed they are following that.  Unlike half the passengers on my bus, I take this sh*t seriously. I actually wear an N95 (I double masked on the bus and in any public transportation). Sadly, I counted 5 just in my view that either had their mask below their nose or on their neck. EVEN after all we went through. I am just disgusted at this point. 

When can you fly home?  

My BIL & SIL were on this same cruise and she tested positive the night before the docked in Canada.  She was quarantined in a balcony cabin and he remained in their original cabin.  He had the option of flying home without her, but he stayed.  Within a day or so he tested positive, too.

They had  NOTHING BUT GOOD things to say about how they were treated.  They had plenty of food, free wifi and beautiful views.  They praised the staff and said that they really were in need of nothing.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, wrongwaywatson said:

My BIL & SIL were on this same cruise and she tested positive the night before the docked in Canada.  She was quarantined in a balcony cabin and he remained in their original cabin.  He had the option of flying home without her, but he stayed.  Within a day or so he tested positive, too.

They had  NOTHING BUT GOOD things to say about how they were treated.  They had plenty of food, free wifi and beautiful views.  They praised the staff and said that they really were in need of nothing.

They were able to stay on the ship? I wished that everyone received the same great treatment but it does not sound like that’s how it’s turning out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

They were able to stay on the ship? I wished that everyone received the same great treatment but it does not sound like that’s how it’s turning out.

maybe you can't off load covid positive passengers in Canada, but in Anchorage they take you to a hotel.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sunsetme said:

maybe you can't off load covid positive passengers in Canada, but in Anchorage they take you to a hotel.

Which hotel are they using in Anchorage?  Did everyone go to the same hotel?

21 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

When can you fly home?  

Depends on who you ask and that is the most frustrating thing. I have been told 3 different dates by the cruise line. I am going to follow my personal physician’s advice. In the meantime, I strolled around Anchorage and enjoyed the sunshine. (Masked of course)

20 hours ago, wrongwaywatson said:

I am glad they had a better experience. Many factors affect the outcome including severity of symptoms, length of quarantine, amount & frequency of accurate information, and the full journey from positive test to full release. AND we haven’t even gotten to the financial promises of FCC & hotel/airfare/meal reimbursements. Hopefully all aspects of their journey are as positive as their cabin-quarantine. 

I was fortunate to have been ‘upgraded’ from my existing cabin and also did not have severe symptoms. That made cabin-quarantine easier. While unlimited room service has its advantages, the inconsistent & misinformation created unnecessary worry and stress. In my balancing test, I would have traded the great cabin & room service for accurate information and a better organized process. I am also traveling alone on this trip, so there was no one to advocate for me. Many underestimate that factor. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, coo359a2 said:

Which hotel are they using in Anchorage?  Did everyone go to the same hotel?

Begins with a V and ends with an r … No, not everyone chose to use that hotel. Princess contracted it out and offered it at $340 a night. Based on what I observed, anywhere from 1/2 to 2/3 of my bus used the hotel. Rumor has it HAL and other cruise lines were/are all scrambling for rooms in Anchorage.  

Begins with a V and ends with an r … No, not everyone chose to use that hotel. Princess contracted it out and offered it at $340 a night. Based on what I observed, anywhere from 1/2 to 2/3 of my bus used the hotel. Rumor has it HAL and other cruise lines were/are all scrambling for rooms in Anchorage.  

You can say the name of the hotel.

• Like 2