The Daily for Monday 05/30/2022

richwmn

Memorial Day

Today is Water a Flower Day, National Creativity Day, and World MS Day

You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children.--Madeleine L'Engle

Meal Suggestion for today - shawarma spiced tofu pita wraps
Drink of the Day - Light And Tonic
Wine of the Day - Domaine Les Salices Chardonnay, France JS90°
Destination of the Day - Kona, Hawaii, US

Ships With Passengers

At Sea

Noordam   Destination Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska eta 05/31

Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada

Zaandam   09:00 - 18:00

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska

Nieuw Amsterdam   15:00 - 18:00

Juneau, Alaska

Eurodam   13:00 - 22:00

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska

Zuiderdam   10:00 - 18:00

Rotterdam, Netherlands South Holland

Rotterdam   07:00 - 22:00

Toulon, France Riviera, La Seyne-sur-Mer

Oosterdam   08:00 - 18:00

Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska -Juneau, Alaska

Koningsdam   09:00 - 09:30

Valencia, Spain

Nieuw Statendam   08:00 - 17:00

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

At Sea

Westerdam   Destination Seattle, WA eta 6/7

0530World.thumb.png.d32a5f57b735db3490e06ecef2c8dd2a.png

0530Alaska.thumb.png.6d75a75bad8ab300b8e5ac91ee5723c2.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 15

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

It's Memorial Day as we remember and honor our fallen heroes, thank you for the ultimate sacrifice.

Thanks for The Daily.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Happy Memorial Day to our friends in the US.   An important day to honour those that serve and protect us.

I will water my flowers today.  I'm usually not very creative.  I know a few people with MS, terrible disease, I hope someone can find a cure.

Love the quote.

The meal sound interesting, looking forward to seeing the recipe.  I'm sure I'll like the drink and the wine.

We've never been to Hawaii, but hope to get there in a year or 2.  Thanks in advance for pictures.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 33

Happy Memorial Day!  Honoring those who served and fallen heroes. Thank you @HAL4NOWand DW for donating blood today. 

Island Princess is docking in Halifax as I type. We will enjoy a day on shore then 5 more sea days. I really need the exercise. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.

It is currently 52°F and cloudy here in North East England.

Thank you for a great selection of days and fleet reports Rich.

Happy Memorial Day a very important day.

Today's wine sounds nice.

Our last cruise before covid was a cruise from San Francisco to Hawaii and back to San Francisco and it was amazing.

Wishing everyone on the care list a full recovery.

Take care and stay safe everyone.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220530_115351.jpg

Screenshot_20220530_115056.jpg

• Like 29

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Today we are flying the flag to honor all of those who made the ultimate sacrifice.  Today’s meal suggestion lost me at tofu.

Today is the naming of the Rotterdam.  If you go to Holland America Line on FB you can watch the recording.  
I hope that everyone has a good day today.

• Like 31

Good morning all.  Thanks for the daily report.  Memorial Day is the day we honor military personnel who have given their lives for our country.  I’ll try and be creative today.  Today is the day we raise awareness of those suffering with multiple sclerosis.  I like the quote, children are often aware of things that adults are oblivious to.  I’ll pass on the meal suggestion.  I haven’t been to Kona but I love the coffee from there!  Prayers for everyone on today’s prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events and to the unofficial start of Summer!🌞🇺🇸

• Like 31

Thank you for our Memorial Day Daily, Rich! A solemn day of remembrance of all those who paid the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom and Country.  The veterans of my community will be conducting a ceremony this morning, and the weather is cooperating perfectly. 

CBB86731-FDF7-4C04-9824-D44B5E66D9A3.jpeg.b974d65b25a41b2e5ec1bb904a9f2aa9.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Stay well everyone. 

Domaine Les Salices Chardonnay

This non-woody, vegan- friendly Chardonnay is very elusive, unless you are in Europe. There are several distributors in the Netherlands & Germany who will ship to North America, but I can just imagine what the shipping cost would be. Luckily it’s price is very reasonable. Prices start at $9.39 for the 2019 vintage.

Distributor Notes

Made from 100% Chardonnay grapes and aged for 6 months in oak which imbues the wine with a lovely mouthfeel. The wine has flavours of spicy stone fruit with creamy and nutty notes with some subtle toasty hints. Round and rich on the palate with a lovely fresh finish.

REGION
LANGUEDOC

PRODUCTION
VEGAN

ALCOHOL LEVEL*

GRAPE
CHARDONNAY
Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 6

Thank you for the Memorial Day Daily, Rich.  4 great days to celebrate today.  I think I heard yesterday that Halifax is expecting 7 days of great weather, good news for @StLouisCruisers and @kb4683.

Chilly clear, and windy to their south and almost due east of Boston.  Love the L'Engle quote.  I've been to Hilo but not Kona.  I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Tim Hortons Chicken Noodle Soup, Baguette, and Timbit, celebrated yesterday on my first visit to Canadian soil in almost 3 years.

lunch29.jpg

Today’s care list:

Malinda with stage 4 cancer
Heartgrove older sister in hospice nearing the end
Buddy with continuing problems ad problematic bone scan
Dismomx5 and DH in covid quarantine
From the rotation:
oceansaway17
St. Louis Sal with weakening legs and panic attacks
Ukraine
1Angelcat facing expensive medicines

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam housing refugees
All but 1 BHB with guests
Durango wildfire contained
Surgery set for dfish 1 June
Ancient Wanderer and Dhcovid free and ready for new grandchild
2 Days for Sharon in AZ (Oosterdam June 1 to 13 + 6 days Venice)
a concert for Carol and Sam
Cruzin Terri’s generosity
rafinmd (Adventure OTS to May 31), lazey1 (Koningsdam to 6/4) and StLouisCruisers and kb4683(Island Princess  to 6/29) at sea
kochleffel best wishes with onward plans (or are you still on the Jade)
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 36
  • Thanks 10

Good morning, everyone!

It is important to remember the meaning of Memorial Day and not just a reason for a barbecue.  I like @HAL4NOW's idea of giving blood in remembrance.   If I didn't have surgery scheduled for Wednesday, I'd do it myself.  

Today's meal offers plenty of options.  @Crazy For Cats , you can easily swap out the tofu for chicken.  What is important here is the seasoning.   https://www.punchfork.com/recipe/Shawarma-Tofu-Pita-Wraps-Epicurious

1062692261_schwarmaspicedtofupita1.thumb.jpg.1c24017c6065fcb762d5d0af90b46e24.jpg

This shawarma recipe is sweet, hearty, smoky, loaded with flavor, and earthy.   This is great for the vegetarians in your crowd.  As I said above, the carnivores can sub in chicken.  https://theherbeevore.com/tofu-shawarma-recipe-vegan-gluten-free/

506132119_schwarmaspicedtofupita2.png.40093b1f6c18d763e07ba1bdcdf4f2bf.png

This next one marinates the tofu (Chicken, Jake) first.  This veggie shawarma is stuffed with crispy savory tofu, chopped greens, quick pickled onions and a super creamy yogurt sauce. Everything is tightly tucked into a soft and pliable whole wheat naan bread warmed to perfection. The perfect recipe to make on hectic weeknights or when you are craving something different!   https://pickyeaterblog.com/veggie-shawarma-with-marinated-tofu/

1335956502_schwarmaspicedtofupita3.thumb.jpg.042bdfcf19b58a84b68a80f9e51dfd83.jpg

This next one stuffs the pita rather than using the pita as a wrap.   https://www.mondaycampaigns.org/meatless-monday/recipes/shawarma-tofu

472415897_schwarmaspicedtofupita4.thumb.jpg.f9316a368f5684f8ea410c98aff7520b.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine, the victims of gun violence, and our Daily family members who are facing challenging struggles.   Cheers to those who are celebrating, no matter how small the victory.   Wishing you all a great day.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 12

Light and Tonic:

Ingredients
1 part Cruzan® Aged Light Rum
Tonic Water
1 splash Lime Juice
Lime Wedges

Instructions
Pour Cruzan® Aged Light Rum over ice cubes in a highball glass. Add tonic, and - optional - a splash of lime juice. Garnish with a lime wedge.

Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 8.03.23 AM.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 11

Good morning  to all. There will be a ceremony later on our main thoroughfare  honoring all of our veterans.  It is a clear sunny day but  it will be hot.My father in law had MS in the days before the present  medications were available and he became quite disabled.I will salute MS  day and  Innovation  Day.

Yesterday we managed a family BBQ on the patio.This house is built into  the side of a hill and there are 8 steps from our side to a walkway and 10 more to reach the patio.Our 2 great neighbors helped with oxygen equipment  and eventually WC and  Tana carrying.It was a lovely late afternoon and evening . 

I would make the recipe today with chicken.Only 2 of us would like the tofu. Thanks @dfish, Debbie. We will try the first one,I think.I will save it for tomorrow  as there are enough leftovers for another meal today.

We have been to Kona on the best ever Hawaii cruise.I would love to return.

Terry

• Like 37

Good Morning from a sunny and warm day at the beach

Memorial Day  should be observed every day.  We owe so much to our veterans and those who gave their lives protecting our freedoms. 

We are back from the wedding weekend.  Beautiful wedding and so much fun. The grooms family rented a boat on Friday nite to take all of us out on the Gulf for a sunset cruise. It was beautiful! Weather was perfect. The wedding on Saturday was just wonderful. They did a very touching tribute to my brother ( grooms Dad) who passed away a few years ago.THey also included my other brother who passed last year. He was the Grooms Godfather.  Many tears but very thoughtful. 

We had a very scary incident happen on Saturday morning. We all went to the pool area to relax before the wedding. My DD was beside me and I was putting things on the table. She undid the brakes on her wheelchair and rolled back and fell over a wall falling 3-4 feet into the bushes.  Many people came running to help and lift her out. Luckily she went backwards and the bushes broke the fall.  Other than a few minor scratches she is fine. Took me a little longer for my heart to calm down. We hadnt noticed but the pool deck was sloped and there was no barrier.  After a bit, DH took her in the pool and she was well. Very scary! And I was beside her!

Going to be a relaxing day here for us today.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 34
  • Thanks 4

Happy Memorial Day.

I survived my full day of car racing, F1, Indy and the Charlotte 600.  If I was still living up north, I'd be at Lime Rock today...and sleep the rest of the week.

My second husband's mother had MS.  The dad didn't know what to do with her, somedays she could walk, others she couldn't.  Sometimes she made sense, other days not so much.  So he had his doctor sign a form that stated she was mentally incompetent and had her placed in a mental institute.  While she was there he divorced her and remarried.  Hmmmmm. (???)  Well, while she was there the doctors discovered that her problem was MS, not mentally incapable, so the state took her out of the institute, and put her in a nursing home.  One day a woman came to visit the nursing home, thinking that she was going to be visiting lonely people who needed to know about life in the world, and she began a conversation with the ex mother in law.  The ex mother in law asked the woman her name, and when she said, "Mrs. B-"  the ex mother in law said, " that 's odd , that's my name too.  Who are you married to?"

And that's how she found out that her husband had divorced her to marry this woman.  My ex mother in law, the real one, was a very nice and kind person.  I guess she figured out that she was safer in the nursing facility than out in the "real world".  And this tale might help explain why my second hubby was just a tad crazy.

@HAL4NOW  I think your gift of blood today is a wonderful idea.  DH and I haven't given blood in a long time due to the meds we were on, I will check with my heart doc on Friday.  

This weekend I am noticing a large deep bruise in my left hand.  It keeps growing, no pain, and I didn't hit anything to bring this about (hence heart and vein doc) (probably too much typing) .

memorial+day+cody.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 5