CDC set to drop testing negative to reenter USA today

So glad this requirement is being dropped.  Flying to Barcelona for our Mediterranean cruise next Wednesday and the return flight has been my biggest source of anxiety because of the negative test.  Now I can go and really enjoy my vacation!  woohoo!

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, hazeleyes46 said:

I wonder if everyone cared about others as much before all of this. Did most people avoid going to work or other social things if they didn't feel well? Probably not. Misinformation and the media has made some nerve wrecks over this virus. 

But that's kind of my entire point. It would, actually, in fact be nice if NOW people thought before going to that social event with a bunch of others: "Hmmm, you know what, rather than just powering through this terrible sinus infection I have just to attend this event with a bunch other people, maybe I should either wear a mask or just stay home so that I can keep them from getting sick." 

If you're coughing your head off, maybe instead of going into work and infecting all the people around you in your cubicle farm, you just take a sick day or wear a mask. If you have diarrhea, maybe think twice about hopping into that public pool or touching those tongs at the buffet. That's all.

Edited by doppelganger2621
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, cruise wizard said:

Canada dropped testing requirements to enter but you need to fill out ArriveCanada documents and there is random testing at the airports.

Correct, for the fully vaccinated. 

Just to clarify, only fully vaccinated can enter without a negative result.  Unvaccinated still need a negative result and a quarantine plan as of today. You might already be implying this, but I just want to clarify for any unvaccinated reading here. 

A screenshot for the requirements as of today for a flight from the US to Canada. 

068DDFBC-4CFE-4221-8A78-76D983B1047C.thumb.jpeg.12727e2d771038e9b972a478f035be8c.jpeg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, doppelganger2621 said:

But that's kind of my entire point. It would, actually, in fact be nice if NOW people thought before going to that social event with a bunch of others: "Hmmm, you know what, rather than just powering through this terrible sinus infection I have just to attend this event with a bunch other people, maybe I should either wear a mask or just stay home so that I can keep them from getting sick." 

If you're coughing your head off, maybe instead of going into work and infecting all the people around you in your cubicle farm, you just take a sick day or wear a mask. If you have diarrhea, maybe think twice about hopping into that public pool or touching those tongs at the buffet. That's all.

Unfortunately, not everyone is afforded the luxury to not go to work when they feel the least bit ill or have the sniffles because they cannot afford to miss work. Its not that they dont care about others, its that they care about providing for their family. Not everyone works in a cubicle farm. Not every one has sick days. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

My SIL is an RN who works for California corrections.  He is expected to go to work if he tests positive as long as he doesn't have a fever and his symptoms are severe enough to impede his work performance.  Apparently the government of the state of California doesn't want their employees to be "considerate" like other posters would want.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

My SIL is an RN who works for California corrections.  He is expected to go to work if he tests positive as long as he doesn't have a fever and his symptoms are severe enough to impede his work performance.  Apparently the government of the state of California doesn't want their employees to be "considerate" like other posters would want.

My DIL is an RN in a GP's office here in VA and they have basically the same policy. Her office is part of the INOVA healthcare system.  It appears that it's commonplace across the medical field and not just in CA.    Positive just doesn't mean what it did two years ago.

Edited by BND
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

Unfortunately, not everyone is afforded the luxury to not go to work when they feel the least bit ill or have the sniffles because they cannot afford to miss work. Its not that they dont care about others, its that they care about providing for their family. Not everyone works in a cubicle farm. Not every one has sick days. 

I totally agree that it's a shame that not everyone has the luxury of sick days (which shouldn't in fact be a luxury), but didn't want to add more politics to an already politically-charged topic. But it is in fact part of what we should do to "normalize" that it's okay to acknowledge one is sick and provide avenues for them to maintain their livelihoods in order to stop the spread of illness.

Anyways, that was simply an example among several I gave.

Edited by doppelganger2621
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BND said:

My DIL is an RN in a GP's office here in VA and they have basically the same policy. Her office is part of the INOVA healthcare system.  It appears that it's commonplace across the medical field and not just in CA.   

It's commonplace among employers period. 

Good news for our Alaska Sept cruise that we fly back to the US from. Will still be required to do the ArrivCan...no big deal

And very excited that we won't have to do the test to fly back into the US from our July cruise from Amsterdam.

So am I correct that RCI will still require the neg test to sail ???

1 minute ago, doppelganger2621 said:

It's commonplace among employers period. 

My DS and DIL both had covid about a month ago after a vacation (not a cruise).  My DS' company policy (Fed Contractor) is 5 days quarantine and then 5 days in a mask.  My DH and younger DS both are Fed Contractors also and their companies have the same policy.  Hasn't been an issue.   I have no problem with it and neither do they.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ashland said:

Good news for our Alaska Sept cruise that we fly back to the US from. Will still be required to do the ArrivCan...no big deal

And very excited that we won't have to do the test to fly back into the US from our July cruise from Amsterdam.

Yes, that has not changed, yet.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Ashland said:

The testing requirement for cruise lines still stands - you'll need a negative test taken no more than two days prior to embarkation. But the requirement for air travel into the U.S. is ending.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/6988/?preview=1

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, CruiseCriticAaron said:

The testing requirement for cruise lines still stands - you'll need a negative test taken no more than two days prior to embarkation. But the requirement for air travel into the U.S. is ending.

I read that non-US citizens will have to show proof of vaccination. That is easy enough either electronically or with paper copies.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

Well said. When I worked Restaurants, Colds, Sinus Infection, Bronchitis, we all had to show up to work. Miss a day we were let go. At Will Workers. Not really that long ago know these same places could only miss a day work if got a Dr Note which most these Min Wage workers could not get

Edited by ONECRUISER

25 minutes ago, CruiseCriticAaron said:

And that two day testing window does nothing but to catch a few unlucky ones.  We were just off a cruise where we saw people not reporting symptoms until the last night of the cruise.  We just saw the one couple in the dining room, and an hour later, Royal was at their cabin to test them. Trust me, symptoms don’t show up that fast.  

Fast forward to a week later, and we were flying to California, and tons of people on the plane and in the airport were hacking and coughing.  Two days after that flight, I began to show symptoms.  Tested for two days, and those tests were negative. On the 4th day tested positive, and continued positive for 8 more days.  

The takeaway from this. 

1 The 2 day testing window means nothing. 

2 My experience was that I have had colds that were worse than the variant that is going around. 

Yes, it is just time to dump all the testing and move on. 

• Like 10

3 hours ago, cruise wizard said:

Canada dropped testing requirements to enter but you need to fill out ArriveCanada documents and there is random testing at the airports.

Random testing, it is reported, of approximately 2,000 travellers from a daily total of around 35,000. Comes to approximately 6% of incoming travellers. There is a ‘push’ to get the Federal Government to abandon this random testing. Costs a lot and doesn’t ‘buy’ that much. It’s a ‘brave new world’. Cheers!