Live - Sky Princess - Norway Fjords - 11 June - 14 nights

Airwavey

On 6/16/2022 at 9:49 AM, Happiest when cruising said:

Sorry, I didn’t mean to upset you.  I was just giving examples of reasons why some people don’t purchase the package. I do understand most people like it, and that’s great. Something for everyone.
In case you don’t know, the water from the ship is very drinkable, and you are allowed to bring your own water bottle onboard. They will happily give you water, ice tea, or lemonade and ice in a glass,  that you can fill into your own container. 

My purpose was to address the questions and concerns of the OP regarding Princess Plus.

We were on our 7th Princess cruise in May and yes, I realize that the water is fine to drink and have done so many times. Bringing a container onboard is cumbersome when traveling a continent and ocean away. The bottled water that is on our package is much easier.

And, the OJ does not need to be crap when you can get fresh squeezed, with or without the beverage package.

On 6/12/2022 at 11:12 PM, nini said:

Exactly! I think when most look at the Princess Plus, the ONLY thing on their mind is, "I really do not drink" or "I really do not drink much".

When you sit down and really analyze each factor (not just "drinks, i.e. alcoholic beverages), then it makes sense.

Most definitely

On 6/12/2022 at 6:12 PM, nini said:

Exactly! I think when most look at the Princess Plus, the ONLY thing on their mind is, "I really do not drink" or "I really do not drink much".

When you sit down and really analyze each factor (not just "drinks, i.e. alcoholic beverages), then it makes sense.

I didn't think it was worth it.  Then I did a  spreadsheet, yes I do that 😉 LOL, and to my surprise on longer trips it is very worth it.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Anubi said:

I didn't think it was worth it.  Then I did a  spreadsheet, yes I do that 😉 LOL, and to my surprise on longer trips it is very worth it.  

I LOVE that you did a spreadsheet! Happy sailings!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anyone know how disembarkation has been on this ship? Looking to do self-disembarkation in Southampton and wondering whether it's possible to be off the ship and at the private car transfer pickup curb by 08:00 am.

6 hours ago, zerwey said:

Anyone know how disembarkation has been on this ship? Looking to do self-disembarkation in Southampton and wondering whether it's possible to be off the ship and at the private car transfer pickup curb by 08:00 am.

We self disembarked from Sky in April. We were in the car park within ten minutes. 

7 hours ago, zerwey said:

We booked a departure time on 11 June for 8:40 and was actually picking up our car at 8:40! after leaving lounge at 8:25 straight off ship luggage all waiting for us, extremely smooth

• Thanks 1

Southampton June 11, self disembarkment was started around 7am.  They did not finish unloading and sorting luggage dockside until after 7:40.  We were waiting to pickup our luggage and could not until they had finished laying out all the luggage in different colour.

8 minutes ago, phabric said:

Southampton June 11, self disembarkment was started around 7am.  They did not finish unloading and sorting luggage dockside until after 7:40.  We were waiting to pickup our luggage and could not until they had finished laying out all the luggage in different colour.

Self disembark is for those that take off their own luggage, the independent slots are for those that need luggage taken off for them.

16 hours ago, zerwey said:

We did self- disembarkation in Southampton in May from the Emerald. We pulled our own luggage and were off about 7:45 am. We had arranged a shared private transfer to LHR.

• Thanks 1

Hi all
Sunday here as I start this latest update, berthed at Tromso awaiting push away. So we have had a further 3 days since the previous post.

We made it in to Thursday night's late night Tom Binns show where he gave a very full Vista Lounge his alta ego Ivan Brackenbridge (inappropriate) Hospital DJ. Given that his act consists of taking the p*** out of people with ailments and playing inappropriate clips from records, coupled with the average age of the ship's audience, I'm not surprised the ship's entertainment director gave it a "no complaints" intro. Really, a laugh a minute though.

Since the previous post we have had a further 4 evening meals - two MDR, 1 World Market and the Crown Grill.

The MDR is still acceptable and varied. 

The World Market has some great choices from evening to evening. Last night I had two very generous large spoonfuls of saute shrimp, with some rice from a counter in another section, as a starter!

The Crown Grill was delicious. The starter that Pip wanted though was not available, nor was one other. The starters being seafood heavy do not suit Pip when the other choices are unavailable. Both our steaks - one rib eye, one fillet - were done perfectly. But, there are no sauces offered and the fillet would have benefited from some lubrication eg some bearnaise or the like.

Pip's key lime pie bar in the Crown Grill was the first creamy dessert that has delivered a hit of flavour. Every other flavour dessert had been lacking the advertised flavour, be it strawberry, mango or lemon. My chocolate choice was OK but nothing as grand as the examples shown in the Chocolate Journeys video on the ship TV.

They are still having problems providing most of the listed by-the-glass red wines from the wine list. The Crown Grill manager blamed it on "supply issues caused by the war"!!! What! How does the Ukrainian war affect the ability of Princess to access and load their wines??

We have also had an Estrella afternoon cream tea. As serious partakers of cream teas across the SW of England where we live, we found this a slightly strange affair. Everyone piles into one corner of Estrella when the doors open at around 2.55. The waiters then come around the tables in no particular order - depending on where you sit you may be served your scones, or sandwiches, or jam & cream, or cakes 1st, 2nd or 3rd... You only have a side plate sized plate to fit it all on to. The plate was warm, so the whipped cream melted. The items themselves were nice. The scones weren't a typical English scone, closer to a muffin in texture. And it wasn't clotted cream. And then everyone trundles out at around 3.45.

The gelato ice cream has also been sampled and very nice too. And even a single scoop was very generous.

Friday's Sea day went smoothly. Some time during the day the cabin steward bought around a Crossed The Arctic Circle certificate for each passenger. Evening Formal Night saw most people partake again.

Saturday was Honningsvåg for the North Cape. On arrival we had a 4 hour morning tour with Blue Puffin Tours, organised via our Roll Call group. A really great tour. Excellent guide, very knowledgeable, very enthusiastic. The tour included a (her) fishing village, a king crab fishing village and 1.5 hours at the North Cape, as well as a 'view' and a Reindeer photo opportunity stop too.

Really highly recommended.

We spoke that evening to someone who had done the afternoon ship's tour. The ship was late pushing off because of issues with that tour. Apparently on the several busses to the Cape they had been instructed to catch any bus back, last one at 4.30. Surprise, surprise too many waited for the 4.30 and they had to send out another bus to get them. Hence our +30 minutes late departure.

Also that ship's tour wasn't 'guided' - no commentary, no photo stops, nowhere else visited. Essentially just a shuttle to/from the Cape. And nearly the same price as the "full guided tour" that we had with Puffin. 

The return cruise past the North Cape, in the bright evening midnight-sun, with a Hans Zimmer concert on the screen behind was magical. And enhanced by spending that hour watching several pods of whales passing by between us and the shore. No noticeable breeches, but dozens and dozens of blow-hole activity.

Had our first real Medallion let down last night. Ordered a latte and a hot chocolate for on deck (Slices) delivery. It took 40 minutes for them to arrive, they were barely lukewarm, and from their looks had clearly been sitting for a very long time - no 'top' to either drink. We sent the server away to fetch 2 fresh ones, which were acceptable around 10 minutes later.

Today Tromso will possibly have been a surprise to a lot of people for two reasons in particular.

1 - the port is 4.5 km from the city centre, so around an hour's walk, if you walk. Given the make up of this cruise that would be too challenging for many. Princess provide a constant supply of shuttle buses but they are just short of $20 pp for the day. That seems a bit outrageous. There is a normal bus service nearby, approximately every 30 min on a Sunday.

2 - it's a Sunday stop. Norway, mostly, doesn't open shops on a Sunday. Very few shops were open in Tromso centre.

We walked. Having been to Tromso before we had no plans to do any of the major sights. Just across the road from the port though is the Arctic Botanical Garden, the world's most northerly. And it was an absolute delight. Stacked full of flowing alpine plants. We were there around 1.5 hours - we are keen gardeners - and would have happily stayed longer. One of the best gardens we have visited.

Back on board, push off from Tromso has been 40 minutes late again. Looking down to the port from our balcony a late "Sightseeing Tour" bus return was again the problem.

And the captain has just announced that due to some enforced routing changes we will be 2 hours later arriving in Gravdal /Lofoten in the morning. But we will depart 2 hours later to compensate - 8pm. Fine-ish, but I bet it will make dinner-times interesting.

Weather has continued fine but cool, low double figures for temps. No rain though for a few days. However, around 2 hours out from Tromso the captain is using the ship's horn because of the dense sea fog. 

The paid for WiFi on board ship continues to be poor value for money. Very intermittent and very slow even when it does lock on.

Tonight we went for our first shared MDR table. As we are both committed and proud members of the "woke left" it was an interesting experience with the other two couples (who were 10+ years older than us) 
✌️🤔

IMG_20220618_125819.jpg

IMG_20220619_120250.jpg

IMG_20220618_205424.jpg

IMG_20220619_092644.jpg

IMG_20220618_111955.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Airwavey said:

But, there are no sauces offered and the fillet would have benefited from some lubrication eg some bearnaise or the like.

Just to say, that in our experience, a medium rare steak doesn't need any "lubrication" at all. 

The steak is juicy enough ,

Glad you enjoyed the steaks regardless. 

6 hours ago, Airwavey said:

Saturday was Honningsvåg for the North Cape. On arrival we had a 4 hour morning tour with Blue Puffin Tours, organised via our Roll Call group. A really great tour. Excellent guide, very knowledgeable, very enthusiastic. The tour included a (her) fishing village, a king crab fishing village and 1.5 hours at the North Cape, as well as a 'view' and a Reindeer photo opportunity stop too.

Was your tour guide Monika?

57 minutes ago, Coral said:

Was your tour guide Monika?

@Coral - I was just about to ask the same question!  I'm terrible at remembering names, especially of someone I only meet for a few hours but Monika is one of the very few tour guides names I remember in over 30 cruises.

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 1

Thanks for the update and pictures! The North Cape picture reminded me of when we went on a HAL cruise there back in 2018. When you were in port, did you by chance notice that the angle of the TV satellite dishes on some of the houses were almost vertical, maybe even pointing a smidge downward? Most satellites are positioned over the equator; hence the reason for the odd satellite dish positioning. Internet reception that far north can also be a little hit and miss at times on the ship for the same reason.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, capriccio said:

@Coral - I was just about to ask the same question!  I'm terrible at remembering names, especially of someone I only meet for a few hours but Monika is one of the very few tour guides names I remember in over 30 cruises.

It was indeed the chatty Monika, fresh with a new child during lockdown

Ken the cruiser - no, didn't notice the satellite dishes 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, capriccio said:

We had Monika's husband and he was a great guide.

4 hours ago, Airwavey said:

It was indeed the chatty Monika, fresh with a new child during lockdown

Ken the cruiser - no, didn't notice the satellite dishes 

She was pregnant when we booked for our 2018 cruise and had a new born when we had our June trip. I did meet her and she was wonderful! She and her husband had just purchased the business.

Great company - I also highly recommend it!

We had an extremely windy and cold day when we went to North Cape! It was also foggy up there.

Edited by Coral

Monday 20.32

In World Marketplace. Captain has just announced that they have a number of asymptotic covid cases on board. They and identified contacts have been isolated.

As a result they have introduced COMPULSORY Mask wearing (usual caveats - not when eating or drinking or in cabin) 

String recommendation when ashore, public transport etc

Separately - medical emergency requiring transport to hospital so departure delayed for at least a further 45 minutes. No expected delay to our arrival in Ålesund after tomorrow's at sea day

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Airwavey said:

Monday 20.32

In World Marketplace. Captain has just announced that they have a number of asymptotic covid cases on board. They and identified contacts have been isolated.

As a result they have introduced COMPULSORY Mask wearing (usual caveats - not when eating or drinking or in cabin) 

String recommendation when ashore, public transport etc

Separately - medical emergency requiring transport to hospital so departure delayed for at least a further 45 minutes. No expected delay to our arrival in Ålesund after tomorrow's at sea day

If they were asymptomatic,  how was it discovered that they had covid ?

• Like 1

Another question for those who have been on this ship recently - just how bad has the wifi been? For example, how long does it take for a cruise critic forum page to load? Are there areas on the ship you've found to have much stronger connections?