Will pre cruise testing end on Azamara soon?

uktog

Please let this not descend into a debate on the rights and wrongs of restrictions!

I see Viking has jumped from being the strictest line with daily testing to the most relaxed. Some say this change was because their current policy was damaging business so much.  I have to agree, we found the daily testing spoiled our cruise as we were always on edge.

https://www.vikingrivercruises.co.uk/why-viking/health-and-safety/health-and-safety-program.html?_ga=2.222009944.1777726501.1655027381-787634861.1499338236&_gac=1.251725563.1655027381.CjwKCAjwnZaVBhA6EiwAVVyv9EjvhOff7x-6BhJ03-fH20BbtYUdiiXCeYWGm4FncJSDNkkNVw3DZRoCMtkQAvD_BwE&_gl=1*1ts4uc6*_gcl_aw*R0NMLjE2NTUwMjczODEuQ2p3S0NBanduWmFWQmhBNkVpd0FWVnl2OUVqdmhPZmY3eC02QmhKMDMtZkgyMEJidFlVZGlpWENlWVdHbTRGbmNKU0ROa2tOVnczRFpSb0NNdGtRQXZEX0J3RQ..*_ga*Nzg3NjM0ODYxLjE0OTkzMzgyMzY.*_ga_24KNYDH1S6*MTY1NTAyNzM4MS4xMDQuMC4xNjU1MDI3Mzg3LjA.

I wonder how far away we are from Azamara making this change? 

• Like 1

Interesting to read about Viking. One of the reasons we did not choose Viking for an upcoming trip was the daily testing.

We are booked on an Azamara cruise from Copenhagen in August. I hope the pre cruise testing requirement does end before then, just due to the added stress of having to arrange for a test. We will take a test at home before we leave for our trip, but that doesn’t fit in the required Azamara time frame.

• Like 3

I believe it will be removed very quickly, especially now that the US has dropped their requirements. 

The Azamara employee I spoke to on this cruise was excited about the mask restrictions starting to go away for employees. As of now, they only need to wear them indoors but doesn’t make much sense to treat them differently than everyone else. 

The good news for now is the proctored tests worked fine for us and didn’t cost us any money after other taxpayers helped fund our testing requirements. The bottom line is this testing is costing insurance companies and government entities a fortune and it will need to go away soon or we will all bear the cost.

All I know is my insurance company is reimbursing me for all testing expenses and then getting their money from someone to ensure the same margins. 

• Like 3

For UK guests no one reimburses them testing costs so there will be pressure from many there given that holidays overseas elsewhere incur no testing

• Like 1

I guess all the lines are modelling what the consequences are of easing the restrictions. Could it encourage more people to cruise and give them more revenue? Could it give them a small group of very sick people onboard that they have to look after? I think they will work on the data whilst watching closely what happens with Viking. My guess is that now one of the lines has moved they will all start to slowly adapt. I just hope that they also think of the crew and their welfare. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, uktog said:

Please let this not descend into a debate on the rights and wrongs of restrictions!

I see Viking has jumped from being the strictest line with daily testing to the most relaxed. Some say this change was because their current policy was damaging business so much.  I have to agree, we found the daily testing spoiled our cruise as we were always on edge.

https://www.vikingrivercruises.co.uk/why-viking/health-and-safety/health-and-safety-program.html?_ga=2.222009944.1777726501.1655027381-787634861.1499338236&_gac=1.251725563.1655027381.CjwKCAjwnZaVBhA6EiwAVVyv9EjvhOff7x-6BhJ03-fH20BbtYUdiiXCeYWGm4FncJSDNkkNVw3DZRoCMtkQAvD_BwE&_gl=1*1ts4uc6*_gcl_aw*R0NMLjE2NTUwMjczODEuQ2p3S0NBanduWmFWQmhBNkVpd0FWVnl2OUVqdmhPZmY3eC02QmhKMDMtZkgyMEJidFlVZGlpWENlWVdHbTRGbmNKU0ROa2tOVnczRFpSb0NNdGtRQXZEX0J3RQ..*_ga*Nzg3NjM0ODYxLjE0OTkzMzgyMzY.*_ga_24KNYDH1S6*MTY1NTAyNzM4MS4xMDQuMC4xNjU1MDI3Mzg3LjA.

Well, isn’t that interesting?!  Having gone thru the daily spit test in April on Viking, I wouldn’t relish doing that again!  It was harder than I imagined it would be to do that every am.  And, yes, it does keep you on edge every time the phone rings in the cabin!  And now they aren’t even enforcing a test prior to boarding?!  Quite a reversal!! 

Judging by the what I read on the Viking forum earlier, quite a few regulars were saying they would wait on cruising under those conditions.  Not surprised they took the opportunity of US no longer requiring a test for rentry to change things up.

Edited by takemewithyou
  • Like 3

It seems like people who can afford to cruise can afford $60 for a test to help reduce the risk for others on the ship.   And those "others"  include the shipboard employees! 

I recently learned that back when smoking was allowed on planes, the non-smoking restrictions were introduced because it had become such a health issue for the crew, ultimately leading to a complete smoking ban for US flights around 2000.

20 hours ago, uktog said:

Hey AZAMARA: I for  one am happy to have you join with Viking and drop the testing requirements!!!

• Like 11

1 hour ago, kaymoz said:

It seems like people who can afford to cruise can afford $60 for a test to help reduce the risk for others on the ship.   And those "others"  include the shipboard employees! 

I recently learned that back when smoking was allowed on planes, the non-smoking restrictions were introduced because it had become such a health issue for the crew, ultimately leading to a complete smoking ban for US flights around 2000.

My informal poll continues on the ship. I happened to ask 3 crew who were walking through the Mosaic Cafe, if they were looking forward to getting rid of the mask mandate. They were all eager for restrictions to end. One person even commented he would have Dumbo ears by the time this requirement was lifted.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, yogagal47 said:

Hey AZAMARA: I for  one am happy to have you join with Viking and drop the testing requirements!!!

I agree!  Azamara should stop the preboarding testing requirement for all cruises.  They can easily do so for non-U.S. cruises since those cruises are not subject to the CDC’s COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships Operating in U.S. Waters,  assuming that Azamara opted in to that program.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think dropping the Covid testing for boarding the ship would certainly help relieve some of the stress involved with cruising right now.   I sure hope Azamara decides to follow Viking's lead and dispense with the Covid tests.  We are scheduled to board the Pursuit in Ravenna on October 17th followed by the Quest on October 29th and eliminating the test would definitely help in eliminating some of the worry with travel to Europe or anywhere overseas.   I would guess it may even help add more bookings for Azamara!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/12/2022 at 12:46 PM, trtog7 said:

I felt safer traveling on Viking with the daily testing. 

I did also and never had any problems doing the test.

Going forward, I'd be ok with the removal of testing. It kills travel enjoyment when you can arrive in a port and be denied entry because you had close contact with someone testing positive.

But it's a case (in Europe at least) Azamara and all CL following the mandate that testing to board is a legal requirement. Our boarding last week, it was the Portuguese passport control officials checking the paperwork.... All of which to me seems to be a money making exercise for testing and hotel accomodation if your luck is out.

So until the EU lifts this, European cruises will remain to have a test. For departing the UK, I don't think it's needed... But suspect CL are choosing to make mandatory.

55 minutes ago, les37b said:

Going forward, I'd be ok with the removal of testing. It kills travel enjoyment when you can arrive in a port and be denied entry because you had close contact with someone testing positive.

But it's a case (in Europe at least) Azamara and all CL following the mandate that testing to board is a legal requirement. Our boarding last week, it was the Portuguese passport control officials checking the paperwork.... All of which to me seems to be a money making exercise for testing and hotel accomodation if your luck is out.

So until the EU lifts this, European cruises will remain to have a test. For departing the UK, I don't think it's needed... But suspect CL are choosing to make mandatory.

I think the EU must have lifted the mandates given how many Viking vessels are sailing in Europe just now with no pre boarding testing 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, uktog said:

I think the EU must have lifted the mandates given how many Viking vessels are sailing in Europe just now with no pre boarding testing 

Amazing how much miss information is out there!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, les37b said:

Agree it was the local authorities checking the negative tests but not sure if this was at the request of Azamara.

6 hours ago, uktog said:

We are currently on an MSC ship. We needed proof of vaccines and a negative test before embarkation. No complaints. I guess it depends from the cruise line. 
Ivi

8 hours ago, uktog said:

They posted a change as of the 10th, so this is a very new development and a result of the CDC US change as of yesterday.

"Additionally, Viking highly recommends, but no longer requires, a pre-departure COVID-19 test—unless one is required by the destination."

The last part is key.

https://www.vikingcruises.co.uk/oceans/why-viking/health-and-safety/health-and-safety-program.html

I know there was a link posted about 3 weeks ago confirming it was an EU departure requirement. I've not seen anything saying the EU have lifted it, but it was a requirement 1 week ago. You will probably recall, Greece imposed a higher requirement banning PCR older than 24 hours. It affected lots of Azamara guests needing to take a further Antigen test (given without charge) because their PCR was older than 24 hours.

I've searched but can't see.... And as this is just a couple of days old, it will be interesting to see what transpires in Athens if they have any sailings imminent.

8 hours ago, yogagal47 said:

Amazing how much miss information is out there!

A bit unfair. As UKtog says, he's not seen anything published by the EU removing these restrictions and neither have I and if they have it's literally just happened like he suggests. Maybe you've seen them? Be great if someone can post a link.

Of course something else comes into play (until it's lifted), you will still need to provide a negative test result to enter many European countries (and probably many around the world,) if your last vaccine shot was over 270 days.

Lots still needs to be sorted and it's still all as clear as mud.

Edited by les37b

The only destinations Viking require tests for are voyages that call to Canada, so there must have been a change.  There is no testing now on their European cruises and no vaccination requirements to enter many European countries now

Edited by uktog
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, uktog said:

The only destinations Viking require tests for are voyages that call to Canada, so there must have been a change.  There is no testing now on their European cruises and no vaccination requirements to enter many European countries now

A change  concerning Canada’s regulations will be announced today so there may be some loosening.

As an aside, for those cruises using Vancouver as an embarkation port for Alaska some itineraries will require an increased level of masking including on board the ships. The issue isn’t Canadian policy but apparently concerns about the increased number of Covid cases in Alaska.

Flexibility as to one’s expectations remains the order of day.

• Like 1