The Daily for Monday 06/13/2022

richwmn

Today is National Weed Your Garden Day, Sewing Machine Day, and National Kitchen Klutzes of America Day

Memories warm you up from the inside. But they also tear you apart.--Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the Shore

Meal Suggestion for today - Tuscan Grapes and Sausages
Drink of the Day - Sauza Cilantro Jalapeno Margarita
wine of the Day - The Crusher Merlot, California
Destination of the Day - Grundarfjordur, Iceland

Eurodam

Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 22:00

Koningsdam

Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska - Juneau, Alaska 09:00 - 09:30

Nieuw Amsterdam

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 15:00 - 18:00

Nieuw Statendam

Gothenburg, Sweden

Noordam

At Sea Destination Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska eta 06/14

Oosterdam

Trieste, Italy - 17:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Oslo, Norway eta 06/14

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 06/14

Zaandam

Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada 09:00 - 18:00

Zuiderdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 10:00 - 18:00

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief
0613NAmerica.thumb.png.812de7af055f48f586646542fca54cd6.png

0613Europe.thumb.png.7b47a50de96ed6626961d2c6ff1569c2.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 11

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

It's cool and bright here this morning, supposed to warm up to 22C (72F).

I need to weed my garden, weeds grow faster than anything else.  I don't have a sewing machine.  I hope I am  not a Kitchen Klutz.

Very true quote.

The meal sounds interesting, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

I'll pass on the drink but hope the wine is tasty.

Thanks in advance for all the pictures.  I'd love to go back to Iceland.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 28

Good afternoon from a sunny 63°F North East England.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

We try to keep weeds out of our garden.

My late mam was a machinist in her early years and always had a sewing machine but we have never had one and Pauline has used a lady who has altered numerous new dresses for her for 40 year's.

Today's quote is very true.

We have lots of happy family memories but now most of Pauline and my family are no longer alive it is also upsetting that we will never see them again.

Today's food looks good but I will give the drink a miss.

Prayers 🙏 always for friends who are unwell.

Wishing everyone a lovely day and week.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220613_120514.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon from Venice!  We had a very easy disembarkation with a 2 hour bus ride to Venice.  Getting a water taxi in Venice is a challenge in itself. I won’t get into details but will say nothing has changed in the years since we were last here. 

One of our favorite places for drinks. 

154AE27F-B7A7-463F-8DF5-798ACC46955C.thumb.jpeg.88b81f6cbf4f831d4fe562321a4d7311.jpeg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 7

Good morning, everyone!

It is supposed to be a warm, sunny day here in northeast Ohio.  Of course, what it is supposed to be and what it turns out to be are often at other ends of the spectrum.  It was supposed to rain yesterday and we ended up with beautiful sunshine.  No problem, I'll take it.  

I couldn't get a pool lane for this morning, so I am doing laps around the block.  I managed to do 3 yesterday, one right after the other, and I'm hoping for the same or more today.  I'm building up my stamina for going to Norway.  I should weed my garden, but it is going to be too hot.  Instead, perhaps I'll get the sewing machine set up and work a bit on my quilt.  I'd love to try the drink.  I like a little spice and heat.  

Today's meal is an Italian classic.  Usually it is served over mashed potatoes, but I'd use cauliflower rice or mashed cauliflower.  The grapes provide a lot of carbs.   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/tuscan-grapes-and-sausages/

235074232_tuscangrapesandsausage1.jpg.e3555e56b036b7009c5964f484b2f58e.jpg

This version doesn't serve it over mashed potatoes, but makes a nice sauce out of pan drippings and serves a good bread along with it.  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/roasted-sausages-and-grapes-recipe-1924696

1632219433_tuscangrapesandsausage2.jpeg.987f78b931ce7067130717f27810b6c0.jpeg

If you're wondering about the Tuscan grapes, it has that name because the dish originated in Tuscany and Umbria.  It isn't as common today as it once was, but probably worth a look as it is so easy!  This next one is for the vegetarians among us.  It is served over mascarpone mashed potatoes.   https://vanguardofhollywood.com/veggie-sausage-and-roasted-grapes/

1538646906_tuscangrapesandsausage4.jpg.7cf3b9ebe4c122424faa453b28df5f62.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine, the victims of gun violence, and our Daily family members who are struggling with challenges.   Cheers to all who are celebrating.  I hope all the birthday celebrators had a great day.   And, it is nice to hear that the prednisone is helping @Cruzin Terri.   Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 32
  • Thanks 7

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich. I don't have a garden but have some growing weed bushes that need to be trimmed if the weather holds.  I don't have a sewing machine but am definitely a kitchen klutz.  Been to Iceland several times but not Grundarfjordur  I think I like the quote and the meal tentatively sounds nice. My alternative is Chilled Bannana Soup, Tossed Seasonal Treens, and Chicken with Dried Cranberries and Orange Relish as served on MS Prinsendam June 13, 2015. 

Today’s care list:

Melinda with stage 4 cancesr
Heartgrove older sister in hospice nearing the end
Heartgrove brother continuing problems in rehab
Buddy with continuing problems
StLouisCruisers with covid across the hall
Lady Hudson cruise friend with covid
From the rotation:
1Angelcat’s Jaguar with untreatable cancer
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Strength, peace, and healing for kazu
StLouisSal with weakening legs

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

All BHB hosting guests
jayhawk66 in NC Mountains beating the heat
Craig a 4-star Mariner
Bon Voyage VMAX1700 (Oosterdam 6/13 to 6/25)
1 day for Norseh2o (Insignia 6/14 to 7/4)
3 days for Lady Hudson (Enchantment OTS 6/16-6/24)
Heartgrive visiting brother and sister
Sharon in AZ in venice to 6/19
Mister67 (Equino x to 6/18) Oceansaway16 (Allure OTS to 6/18), travelingbums (Jewel OTS to 6/20), VMAX and StLouisCruisers and kb4683(Island Princess  to 6/29) at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 13

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

No garden or sewing machine here. I don't think I am kitchen klutz, but have surely done at least one of the things in Graham's definition over the years. 

The quote is true. The meal sounds great; looking forward to Debbie's recipes. 

A bright, sunny morning here, 73 with a high of 87.

@VMax1700 Bon Voyage! 🚢

Have a magical Monday! 

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Daily Rich! Another lovely morning here. No rain yesterday, but there were storms all around us. We could hear thunder booming North & South of us. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. Morning Dailyites. After the gym, I am going to start doing a serious weeding out of “my stuff”, to get ready for next week’s American Veteran donation. I have too much “just in case” stuff that I have not used in the 6.5 years I have lived in Florida. I promised I would do this for myself & my family after going through my Cousin’s place after she passed. 

Something for cat & Star Wars fans….

DE719460-A35E-4C40-806A-E04F86B57D28.jpeg.461973589c473b2376a5540bf2fd086d.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @HeartgroveJack special prayers for your entire family. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

The Crusher Merlot 2018

I chose the 2018 vintage because it may be the most readily available. Though all released vintages share good - very good ratings. This might be a good House Merlot. Several online distributors with prices starting at $8.99.  

Product description

The Crusher Merlot is expressive, with focused aromas of black raspberry, mocha and fennel fronds along with a hint of smokiness. Juicy, slightly tart avors of plum and blackberry contribute to the bright acidity of this wine and are accompanied by cocoa powder and dried strawberry notes. On the nish, toasty French oak inuence comes through as caramel, warm spice and cinnamon stick.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 2

Good morning.  Stock up on water , stay hydrated.  This week is going to be toasty!  I open the windows  early, and when the air comes on, I close them.  This way kitties and I get fresh air.  

Thank you Rich and Roy for the daily reports.  

@grapau27Thank you for the description of the kitchen klutz.  Since my mom wouldn't let me in the kitchen, some of my first "cooks" were a bit of a disaster.  I made my first meatloaf with the ingredients that should have made sage stuffing.  It was terrible.  I made cherry crepes but used non pitted cherries.  A slow meal to chew.....

I look at weeds as if they are just wild flowers...so not much weeding here.  I do need to go to war with some poison ivy though.

576db54b65a3123b75ca9cd37dd949bb.jpg

4fdc824c11ee02f5b0419c563a520346.jpg

z-funny-7-6.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 14

Thanks for the Daily, Rich.

I thought I would try to start the week out right by posting here 😉 I am in slow motion as it seems to take longer to do anything these days.  And some days doing anything much can be a challenge. 

I was a day early celebrating weed your garden day.  I knew it would rain today so forced myself to face the music and start to clean up.  I’ve let the garden go, sadly and must now pay the price.  I’ve barely had a chance to truly enjoy the fruits of the years’ labours.  And I guess I can definitely celebrate kitchen klutz day.  I’ve certainly been a huge klutz in the kitchen for the last few months 😱 

That quote is ever so true.  The meal suggestion sounds delish.  

Garden Club (and animal lovers) as you know, deer are the bane of my existence.  This is why I have a fence.

D6222236-8FF1-4FAA-B15E-E9BEC73E3091.thumb.jpeg.54679b4851d2342caa0043591a8f3153.jpeg

That picture was taken from a great distance.  You can walk right up to them and they don’t move.

67F2A3F0-FC31-40A0-9644-9AA38C5FF9A1.thumb.jpeg.63aa29d94aed304ab65eedd868e82274.jpeg

They are just too used to humans and dogs. And voracious garden destroyers.  

D97DE2AA-0069-4560-BA3A-B37D67AD1A25.thumb.jpeg.66375656f0b2fb2a3132dc9175a82b7e.jpeg

I know lots of people think they are beautiful but this gardener hates them.  I would never have these or any other flowers if I didn’t have fencing.

8532BDD3-926C-4CDC-9F3F-5BF1BB122262.thumb.jpeg.974101eb139c97a03e2b6545e7f1d6b9.jpeg

DH wanted me to plant this one.  I’m so sorry he isn’t here to see it 😢  I don’t know why the tulips were so short this year - due to the cold and rain?

ADF7C197-2199-4699-853F-26F5EF33E92C.thumb.jpeg.1a86b2b7f7ebd3dcd4b6ce14eef3bed2.jpeg

A very big Bon Voyage to @VMax1700

I hope you and Ellen have glorious time!

F61F1CCD-253D-40C2-A838-184074567D8E.jpeg.12b387b29c6fba5ae2854af935832ffa.jpeg

Thank you all for caring and thinking of me ❤️  I am so sorry that so many of you have sad times to deal with such as - Melinda’s cancer, Buddy’s problems, @Cruising-along’s DD with Covid & @StLouisCruiserschallenge with covid so close, @atexsix’s DD & @marshhawk’s friend’s decline.  My heart goes out to @Heartgrovewho is dealing with so much with his sister in hospice & brother’s rehab issues 😔 

Prayers for you all, everyone on the Care list & a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory List.

Have a great Monday everyone!

D860A8AC-178A-4B5C-8E6F-C97051E25108.thumb.jpeg.b2d30382c702dfc778c3b18c66575375.jpeg

Stay safe & don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 46
  • Thanks 11

Good morning from central Texas where the weather will be the same  -- HOT.  It looks like Wednesday will be our cool day with a high of 97F, but still humid.

Another interesting collection of days.  There are probably a few weeds in the flower beds, and I use my sewing machine occasionally, mainly for mending.  I'll confess, there are times I have been a kitchen klutz, but not as often noe as in years past.

Another interesting qoute today, and it's true.

I like Italian sausage, but I'm not sure about the grapes.  The wine sounds good, but will pass on the drink.

We have been to Grundarfiordur twice.  The first time was in 2009 on Tahitian Princess.  In 2016 on an overnight stopi in Reykjavik on Prinsendam, we rented a car and drove north and drove through Grundarfjordur.  This is house cleaning day, so I'll look for my pictures a littler later.

@kazu  Jacqui, it was good to see your post.  I'm sorry things are still so rough for you.  Take your time, and don't rush things.  Both your mind and body need time to recover from all the stress of the last many months.

@Sharon in AZ  Sharon, enjoy your time in Venice.

I guess it's time to get to work.

Lenda

• Like 29

55 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich. I don't have a garden but have some growing weed bushes that need to be trimmed if the weather holds.  I don't have a sewing machine but am definitely a kitchen klutz.  Been to Iceland several times but not Grundarfjordur  I think I like the quote and the meal tentatively sounds nice. My alternative is Chilled Bannana Soup, Tossed Seasonal Treens, and Chicken with Dried Cranberries and Orange Relish as served on MS Prinsendam June 13, 2015. 

Today’s care list:

Melinda with stage 4 cancesr
Heartgrove older sister in hospice nearing the end
Heartgrove brother continuing problems in rehab
Buddy with continuing problems
StLouisCruisers with covid across the hall
Lady Hudson cruise friend with covid
From the rotation:
1Angelcat’s Jaguar with untreatable cancer
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Strength, peace, and healing for kazu
StLouisSal with weakening legs

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

All BHB hosting guests
jayhawk66 in NC Mountains beating the heat
Craig a 4-star Mariner
Bon Voyage VMAX1700 (Oosterdam 6/13 to 6/25)
1 day for Norseh2o (Insignia 6/14 to 7/4)
3 days for Lady Hudson (Enchantment OTS 6/16-6/24)
Heartgrive visiting brother and sister
Sharon in AZ in venice to 6/19
Mister67 (Equino x to 6/18) Oceansaway16 (Allure OTS to 6/18), travelingbums (Jewel OTS to 6/20), VMAX and StLouisCruisers and kb4683(Island Princess  to 6/29) at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Graham.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. We had a very early start today as a gas leak alarm in the basement told us to evacuate and dial 911.There were several firefighters at our door in short order with hatchets and the like.I explained  Tana's  difficulties and they said they would carry her outside for us.I got the portable O2 hooked up and threw some clothes on.Neighbors were also awakened as they tried to figure out the extent of the leak. A mini backhoe started digging along the sidewalk.

We were a sight standing around in the dark with our entire family,including dogs.They let us in after a while and shut the gas off.We will have no hot water but at least  we are safe for now.

The daylight brought a different utility crew who will fix the problem.

Tana  made me laugh as she stated she  felt hung over from lack of sleep. Neither of us drink anymore  so we found it funny.

@kazu,we get deer even in our city garden and share your frustration  with their appetites!

@VMax1700, Bon Voyage

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Good morning! It’s hot and humid this morning. Already eighty with a ninety-four humidity. We are under a heat advisory as heat index is slated to be 105- 108 F between 11:00 Am and 7 PM! Will be walking early?

By now everyone should know it’s laundry day at our house. Has been for thirty years! Always a thrill!

I was delighted to see @kazu,Jacqui return to the Daily. Welcome back you have been missed.@VMax1700Bon Voyage!
@dfish Debbie we’ll be anxious to hear about your Norway cruise as we’re doing Best Of Norway on Rotterdam starting mid July for two weeks.

We are going to have a traditional Betty Crocker New England pot roast dinner tonight. The secret is the roast slowly bakes in the Dutch oven coated with horse radish on both sides before adding vegetables. Roy it is not spicy!😁

Well, I best get out and walk before I will melt!

Thanks for the Fleet Report and all post. Have a great week.

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich.

I thought I would try to start the week out right by posting here 😉 I am in slow motion as it seems to take longer to do anything these days.  And some days doing anything much can be a challenge. 

I was a day early celebrating weed your garden day.  I knew it would rain today so forced myself to face the music and start to clean up.  I’ve let the garden go, sadly and must now pay the price.  I’ve barely had a chance to truly enjoy the fruits of the years’ labours.  And I guess I can definitely celebrate kitchen klutz day.  I’ve certainly been a huge klutz in the kitchen for the last few months 😱 

That quote is ever so true.  The meal suggestion sounds delish.  

Garden Club (and animal lovers) as you know, deer are the bane of my existence.  This is why I have a fence.

D6222236-8FF1-4FAA-B15E-E9BEC73E3091.thumb.jpeg.54679b4851d2342caa0043591a8f3153.jpeg

That picture was taken from a great distance.  You can walk right up to them and they don’t move.

67F2A3F0-FC31-40A0-9644-9AA38C5FF9A1.thumb.jpeg.63aa29d94aed304ab65eedd868e82274.jpeg

They are just too used to humans and dogs. And voracious garden destroyers.  

D97DE2AA-0069-4560-BA3A-B37D67AD1A25.thumb.jpeg.66375656f0b2fb2a3132dc9175a82b7e.jpeg

I know lots of people think they are beautiful but this gardener hates them.  I would never have these or any other flowers if I didn’t have fencing.

8532BDD3-926C-4CDC-9F3F-5BF1BB122262.thumb.jpeg.974101eb139c97a03e2b6545e7f1d6b9.jpeg

DH wanted me to plant this one.  I’m so sorry he isn’t here to see it 😢  I don’t know why the tulips were so short this year - due to the cold and rain?

ADF7C197-2199-4699-853F-26F5EF33E92C.thumb.jpeg.1a86b2b7f7ebd3dcd4b6ce14eef3bed2.jpeg

A very big Bon Voyage to @VMax1700

I hope you and Ellen have glorious time!

F61F1CCD-253D-40C2-A838-184074567D8E.jpeg.12b387b29c6fba5ae2854af935832ffa.jpeg

Thank you all for caring and thinking of me ❤️  I am so sorry that so many of you have sad times to deal with such as - Melinda’s cancer, Buddy’s problems, @Cruising-along’s DD with Covid & @StLouisCruiserschallenge with covid so close, @atexsix’s DD & @marshhawk’s friend’s decline.  My heart goes out to @Heartgrovewho is dealing with so much with his sister in hospice & brother’s rehab issues 😔 

Prayers for you all, everyone on the Care list & a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory List.

Have a great Monday everyone!

D860A8AC-178A-4B5C-8E6F-C97051E25108.thumb.jpeg.b2d30382c702dfc778c3b18c66575375.jpeg

Stay safe & don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

Lovely flowers and nice to see you posting.

We had a late frost last year and my late parents hydrangeas which I brought to ours from theirs when they both died over 10 years ago and created a memory garden at ours they had a poor flowering but this year there are lots of buds ready to flower.

This picture was taken a couple of years ago.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220613_134122.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 26

13 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. We had a very early start today as a gas leak alarm in the basement told us to evacuate and dial 911.There were several firefighters at our door in short order with hatchets and the like.I explained  Tana's  difficulties and they said they would carry her outside for us.I got the portable O2 hooked up and threw some clothes on.Neighbors were also awakened as they tried to figure out the extent of the leak. A mini backhoe started digging along the sidewalk.

We were a sight standing around in the dark with our entire family,including dogs.They let us in after a while and shut the gas off.We will have no hot water but at least  we are safe for now.

The daylight brought a different utility crew who will fix the problem.

Tana  made me laugh as she stated she  felt hung over from lack of sleep. Neither of us drink anymore  so we found it funny.

@kazu,we get deer even in our city garden and share your frustration  with their appetites!

@VMax1700, Bon Voyage

Terry!  

I am so glad you are all safe. Not fun to deal with that event, but thank goodness you were awakened. Bless the fire department personnel. Another blessing I sometimes take for granted. 

Tana still has her sense of humor. A powerful weapon in many medical fights.

Perhaps a nap is in your future.  

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

@cat shepard, thanks. We were grateful for the utility workers and the firefighters coming within 3 minutes of the alarm going off. Tana and I also decided we would have take out for dinner since we can’t use the stove.I agree about having a sense of humor….it saves the day often around here!

• Like 23

I know many cat lovers post here, when I saw that today's port is in Iceland, I thought I'd share a story I heard on NPR yesterday.  https://www.npr.org/2022/06/12/1104418196/cats-are-getting-a-curfew-in-some-icelandic-towns

Iceland has traditionally been the land of cat people. The city of Reykjavík banned dogs for much of the last century, until 1984, based on the idea that they were farm animals. In April, Akureyri—the largest municipality in the country’s north, with a population of 19,000 people and some 2,000 to 3,000 cats—decided to ban their feline residents from night roaming outside. Neighboring Húsavík banned cats several years ago from going outdoors day and night. Other Icelandic towns are considering bans. Why? Cats kill birds and disrupt ecosystems.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4