CDG Layover 2 hours enough

jeter55

• 3 weeks later...

In the past I would have said that 2 hours *is* OK...can't say that given the current airline situations.  But then you are faced with trying to gamble on "How much layover time do I really need?"  No one can answer that one!

• 8 months later...
On 7/8/2022 at 5:29 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

In the past I would have said that 2 hours *is* OK...can't say that given the current airline situations.  But then you are faced with trying to gamble on "How much layover time do I really need?"  No one can answer that one!

Ok I have a question for you as I see you have travel more than I (so far) as I see you on several Princess posts. We have been changed from Athens to JFK to Boston having customs in JFK with to short a time between flights. They changed us to go into Boston where we will do customs but this is ok as we live there. However change has us going to CDG with a four hour layover. Because it is Athens to France does that mean we don't need to leave the terminal get bags go to customs, security and back to aerogar2 terminal E? If we need to do anything other than leave the plane at terminal F go to terminal E?  Also if you have been here anything I should try.

As always thanks.

1 minute ago, latebloomer56 said:

Ok I have a question for you as I see you have travel more than I (so far) as I see you on several Princess posts. We have been changed from Athens to JFK to Boston having customs in JFK with to short a time between flights. They changed us to go into Boston where we will do customs but this is ok as we live there. However change has us going to CDG with a four hour layover. Because it is Athens to France does that mean we don't need to leave the terminal get bags go to customs, security and back to aerogar2 terminal E? If we need to do anything other than leave the plane at terminal F go to terminal E?  Also if you have been here anything I should try.

As always thanks.

You don't have to claim luggage or exit a terminal or go back through security at CDG.  This route is probably better than your original.

11 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Flying Athens to CDG to BOS you will not have any Customs issues until you land in BOS. You will have an exit passport check at Paris, and an additional level of security/passport check before boarding a US bound flight.

Would you hazard to guess how many hours for this? TA said no luggage the airline puts it on our next leg of our journey.

11 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Well....not sure I agree with "or go back through security at CDG."  On a couple of previous trips we definitely DID have to go through security.  Never understood why.

We have gone through here just once but thought the total cluster was because we came from US, we changed planes to Copenhagen through CDG 😢.

55 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

Would you hazard to guess how many hours for this? TA said no luggage the airline puts it on our next leg of our journey.

Your luggage should go to BOS without any issue.

How long the process at CDG takes will depend on crowds and number of flights. I would allow an hour, but it will probably be less.

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

How long the process at CDG takes will depend on crowds and number of flights. I would allow an hour, but it will probably be less.

Was very sad to hear having to go through immigration and security again. But this wouldn't be to bad, 10 years ago took over 3 hours but that was coming from US this is just coming from another European country.

Thanks

2 hours ago, latebloomer56 said:

Was very sad to hear having to go through immigration and security again. But this wouldn't be to bad, 10 years ago took over 3 hours but that was coming from US this is just coming from another European country.

Thanks

As you noted, flying in to CDG from an EU country and connecting to a non-EU country is no big deal.  Since you are leaving the EU (Schengen Zone) a passport check is necessary.  This will take all of five minutes and is a standard procedure no matter which airport you use to fly to the US.  No security check or baggage handling; I presume your luggage will be checked through to BOS from ATH by your carrier.

Screenshot_20230316-091629_Chrome.jpg

4 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

I rarely find passport checks leaving Schengen to take very long at all, even at airports that can be a bit of a mess like CDG. Entering Schengen, sure, but leaving Schengen is usually pretty quick because there aren't loads and loads of 300+ passenger aircraft arriving at seemingly the same time. I doubt it would take more than 5-10 minutes in this case. 

43 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

I rarely find passport checks leaving Schengen to take very long at all, even at airports that can be a bit of a mess like CDG. Entering Schengen, sure, but leaving Schengen is usually pretty quick because there aren't loads and loads of 300+ passenger aircraft arriving at seemingly the same time. I doubt it would take more than 5-10 minutes in this case. 

All depends on the lines...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, d9704011 said:

As you noted, flying in to CDG from an EU country and connecting to a non-EU country is no big deal.  Since you are leaving the EU (Schengen Zone) a passport check is necessary.  This will take all of five minutes and is a standard procedure no matter which airport you use to fly to the US.  No security check or baggage handling; I presume your luggage will be checked through to BOS from ATH by your carrier.

Screenshot_20230316-091629_Chrome.jpg

Thanks for the diagram, makes sense. Now hope for short line and a place to shop.

20 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Flying Athens to CDG to BOS you will not have any Customs issues until you land in BOS. You will have an exit passport check at Paris, and an additional level of security/passport check before boarding a US bound flight.

I looking at this flight in reverse with 1hr 40 minute at CDG do you that it isn’t enough 

time 

thanks 

27 minutes ago, truck driver said:

I looking at this flight in reverse with 1hr 40 minute at CDG do you that it isn’t enough 

time 

thanks 

So, you are saying you arrive at CDG from the US, before continuing on to another European airport? If so, you need to clear Passport check,, but no Customs. 

CDG is commonly referred as a very poor airport to connect at. 1:40 is the minimum I would consider acceptable. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

So, you are saying you arrive at CDG from the US, before continuing on to another European airport? If so, you need to clear Passport check,, but no Customs. 

CDG is commonly referred as a very poor airport to connect at. 1:40 is the minimum I would consider acceptable. 

Thank you cruiserBruce I’m also looking at 

delta Bos to Jfk to Athens it’s about $800

more round trip last time I checked 

I think it will be less of a hassle 

thanks again 

On 3/16/2023 at 1:39 PM, Zach1213 said:

One more question, do you know how long a walk between terminal F arrival and terminal E departure both Delta flights operated by Air France? Looked at a map and it shows a corridor linking the two but not sure how long a walk. Also would assume there is signage for immigration and the added security? With security does than mean ditch my water? Toronto made me toss a new bottle I bought when we went to just change planes.

Thanks

1 hour ago, latebloomer56 said:

One more question, do you know how long a walk between terminal F arrival and terminal E departure both Delta flights operated by Air France? Looked at a map and it shows a corridor linking the two but not sure how long a walk.

2E and 2F are on opposing sides of the spine of the Terminal 2 complex - see this Google map: https://goo.gl/maps/SzcMuMzjXWP9gej99 - T2F is above the spine and T2E is below it.

Measuring suggests that the distance between them is in the order of a few hundred metres - obviously much depends on where your two aircraft will be.

8 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

2E and 2F are on opposing sides of the spine of the Terminal 2 complex - see this Google map: https://goo.gl/maps/SzcMuMzjXWP9gej99 - T2F is above the spine and T2E is below it.

Measuring suggests that the distance between them is in the order of a few hundred metres - obviously much depends on where your two aircraft will be.

That looks like a long walk for me, good thing we have a few hours.

Thanks

The issue with T2E is that it is comprised of several different concourses.  And T2F has two concourse "fingers".  So much of the issue of distance depends on exactly where in each terminal you arrive/depart. 

T2E has Hall K, Hall L and Hall M -- each a separate concourse.  Plus Hall L is longer than the distance between T2F and T2E.  So there is no simple answer as to the distance.

Read the official CDG website for lots of information on connecting from one building to another.

6 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

The issue with T2E is that it is comprised of several different concourses.  And T2F has two concourse "fingers".  So much of the issue of distance depends on exactly where in each terminal you arrive/depart. 

T2E has Hall K, Hall L and Hall M -- each a separate concourse.  Plus Hall L is longer than the distance between T2F and T2E.  So there is no simple answer as to the distance.

Read the official CDG website for lots of information on connecting from one building to another.

Thank you I will check on this. Also thinking of getting assistance when we arrive there. I think I will go sit with my TA and go through both the Inogen approval and assistance getting from one terminal to the next. I like doing everything on my own while I still can, but I don't like adding extra stress to my husband.

2 hours is plenty of time for Air France to "mishandle" your luggage. Be sure to take pics of your checked luggage and be sure to have an AirTag in each bag. One of my bags went missing in CDG with an Air France to Delta hand off in November. 62 days to make it home. At least it was after a cruise and not prior to. I would still be waiting if it wasn't for the picture and my ability to tell Air France exactly where the bag was. The worst airport ever. Never will I fly Air France or have connection in CDG again.