Summit 6/26/2022 Bermuda Sailing – Live Blog, Cat Blog, Vlog!

David Kane

Evening Responses

A) Yes, the Port of Bayonne is a gorgeous, well managed and modern facility. It is the area leading up to it that continues to perplex me. Maybe it's a Jersey thing; I mean, they built the Meadowlands in the middle of a swamp which would be fine if only the Jets played there.

B) Formal nights are the...crud...um, 2nd and 6th? Sorry, since every night is Formal Night for us I lose track of these things! But, OH, here's a newest click-bait headline: "Repeat Cruiser discovers secret Celebrity won't tell you and it will blow your mind!"

C) and here is that Secret. Since they pushed COVID management through the Celebrity App and given everyone online access to it regardless of WiFi Package...it is really good! I know, it can have the occasional quirk, but it effectively does what I want it to do. Notice how there have been no pictures of dailies or menus like I usually post? That's because I don't need dailies. They still dutifully print them out, but everything is on the App, including a Menu breakdown by location and meal. All of this information becomes more reliable as your embarkation approaches, but even 2 weeks out I was able to see 99% of the salient details I was looking for - sure, there are some quirks, one gameshow was listed as starting at 1:30am (yeah...no) but in terms of planning meals and the broadstrokes of entertainment the App has gotten really, really good. Hopefully someone has been appropriately rewarded back at Celebrity Central (the office, not the weird space on some S class ships that is always super warm). 

D) In terms of actual enterainment, there are the two shows (Life and Soundtrack). If the entertainment staff does not change, there is an aerialist on board who literally picks up her partner who must weigh who-knows-how-much of pure muscle and must be Gal Gadot Level strong if she was actually Wonder Woman in real life. The stunt-team is 10 for 10, would watch someone with 10 abs perform again.

E) There are individual singers and a comedian...I don't really go to those shows? I'll scrounge up a daily somewhere.

F) OH! The Cruise Director is Rich Clesen (!) who I referred to as one of the big three (alongside Sue Denning and Alejandro, IMHO). He has the usual morning program each day and it is *worth* watching. He is really funny.

G) There is a "Dou" band....it seems every ship has one. "Duo" bands got ruined for me because of Duo Allure on the Reflection years ago which consisted of two young women playing Cello and...Vio...lin? Viola? who opened their set with a dead on performance of Rasputina's cover of "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd. This "Duo" band seems good, but not Rasputina good.

H) But the REAL winner is Hey Mama. I know...odd naming convention, right? They are an all female band from Argentina who have the composition of Toto (big Toto fan here, BTW) including a Keyboard player, bassist, rythmn guitarist, drummer, lead singer, and someone playing the zither. No, I kid, I kid. No Zither, But freaking good. I've been  to roughly 5 of their sets so far and they play songs from all over the specturm with great range and accompanyment.

I) I think I answered some of the most of the questions. I'm off to the Retreat to participate in the Buffalo Trace Wars and see the Major of Smoketown. Oh. Oh, there will be stories to catch everyone up on shortly...

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, David Kane said:

20220626_121956.jpg

Aha... so that's where they store all the Kelly Hoppen  stuff that folks ask to be removed from their staterooms...like faux bleached coral and vases that do not hold water.  All very dull and drab.

We would fill that with a nice floral and a few colorful items

• Like 1

On 6/28/2022 at 9:54 AM, David Kane said:

The only useful point of information to be had here is each guest has to complete the muster on their own device. 

May I ask a clarifying question?  DH has to download the Celebrity app and watch the muster drill seperately from me?  We, being in the same cabin, are not able to watch the video together on one device?

TIA

COVID App Reprise Note

Good question there on the App! So far, XZ and I have decided to agree to an answer via a duel. Because! It 'seems' both answers are correct.

XZ was able to take care of all of the pre-embarkation document uploads without me logging into the App whatsoever. On the drive down we watched the Muster Video/Safety Vest briefing in rest stops in Connecticut and accidentally lisened to the emergency call with the audio ON in the truck which was a touch surprising. Once each task is done it clicks off green in the App with a completed status.

When I got on board I checked my App and it marked both as still incomplete, so I dutifully rewatched them - XZ said I didn't have to as the accounts were linked but I did anyways because look at me following rules. Today is likely the day this will be settled via the Code Duello. We will let you know the outcome.

(The linking of accounts is a bit of an odd one across the several systems, for instance, the App splits our OBC between each user and shows where we scanned each card. The interactive Television, on the other hand, lists all the OBC and charges under XZ despite you being able to review each account separately. What can I say, she's just more personable!).   

• Like 2

Day 2 - Later Nights and Better Times

So before the dawning of day 2 we need to make a quick note about the late night shenanigans available on the ship which is, to say, after XZ went to bed I met the Mayor of Smoketown in the designated smoking area because if someone brings on 2 portable humidors and begins handing out cigars to the later night crowd, you say yes. Quite a fun little group eventually assembled and I think I made it back to the room by around 3am.

Somehow, the next day, we woke up on time for Luminae breakfast. A note on the breakfasts; we usually prefer the buffet for the expanded selection and third-[plate visits. However, it is now full service instead of self service, and the look of silent reproach in a server's eyes as you keep making the sign for "more bacon" with a plate already overcrowded with enough Jimmy Dean to make a anyone question if you're eating for one or two can be guilt inducing. 

The good news is that the light spread available in the Retreat Lounge is still self-serve for those looking for their 9th piece of tiny cheese.

Post breakfast we made the rounds until XZ sat down and started straight up robbing a slot machine which, as one suspects of a negitive ev game, is an extremely rare occurance. From there it was Al Bacio, followed by a room visit and then lunch at Sushi on 5 which highlighted again one of those special Celebrity moments. There are two things we look forward to at Sushi on 5, Fresh ground wasabi and snow maiden unfiltered cold saki. Due two supply chain shortages, both were out which is totally understandable...UNTIL, somehow, one of the staff ran down to...I have no idea, some dude's room? and came back with the last bottle on the ship. While we always tip on upcharge meals and at the end of the cruise this was the first time we tipped during service; that's how outright surprising this was!

Post Sushi we began to get sucked into the room again, which has just so many spaces you really don't need to leave it if you don't want to. It is shockingly large. 

20220627_080338.jpg

20220627_091913.jpg

20220627_102344.jpg

20220627_125006.jpg

20220627_125202.jpg

20220627_135104.jpg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, misha1 said:

May I ask a clarifying question?  DH has to download the Celebrity app and watch the muster drill seperately from me?  We, being in the same cabin, are not able to watch the video together on one device?

TIA

My DH and I watched it on the same device this past Sunday. It asked who watched the safety video and we marked both of us. We watched the video in the terminal as we waited to board ( and the emergency signal). We found our. Muster station first thing and then we were done.

• Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Justprettynpink said:

My DH and I watched it on the same device this past Sunday. It asked who watched the safety video and we marked both of us. We watched the video in the terminal as we waited to board ( and the emergency signal). We found our. Muster station first thing and then we were done.

At what point prior to cruising is it avaiable to watch?

20220627_172851.thumb.jpg.d1f60cb0ae9a844b3a02f5451cb585cd.jpgDay 2 - The Hermitage

So this room. This room...traps you in it. Between the excellent, 5 star Personal Retreat Host, the twice daily total refresh of all things towel, the monogrammed pajamma top and bottom, the interior hot tub which comfortably fits two, the way too many outdoor loungers, the panoramic views, the ability to order all restaurant dining to be delivered we officially lost 1 1/2 consecutive days to cribbage, reading, writing comment cards for the excellent service and playing room tag.

Let's see what the pictures can tell us:

20220627_181915.thumb.jpg.0ee13a08dc5d51ee24f393d87aaa95ab.jpg

We apparently made it to dinner, Fox Fur and all.

20220627_174412.thumb.jpg.e1ae93ae55c9e26d6fb8f2051710737b.jpg

There was slightly out of focus live music in the Retreat Lounge.

20220627_195529.thumb.jpg.ded59cd951b76fc42c57d2e870386763.jpg

Pillow choclates are back, in cute little boxes.

20220627_215916.thumb.jpg.83a25e4f31e500b863e3fdd5fcb40342.jpg

We took in the 2nd showing of Life in the theatre; still a favorite with  modern, relateable music (LOL Motown) and likely concluded day 2. Let's see what day 3 bri...

Annnnd right on schedule, the Furry Menace checks in. Let's see what she has to say!

943345490_ScreenShot2022-06-25at10_32_14PM.png.fe5051b9ba612295c52ba71e1b7ee47a.png

This was an odd comment which, I think, has to be taken in context. Food is obviously plentiful. This may have been made during the initial re-opening which isn't a reflection of cheapening but rather some supply issues. Rest assured, the majority of these issues have been resolved at this point! In order; there are plenty of buns, the fish is definitely sauced, machines occasionally do break down, plates are passed from staff to passengers instead of self-service so, yes, it may take an additional trip for drinks, the 4 different types (at least!) of pizza had standard offerings including pepperoni, veggie and a margarita which can be scarce only because your fellow passengers might just take the whole darn thing, there is plenty of melon, an entire dessert station and no cheapness in sight. Good try, Kitty. Good Try. Go back to enjoying your hand fed fish snack.

Loving your post!  Thanks for all the info.  You mentioned something about the welcome photos being different.  I am a photo geek and tend to buy all they take - on boarding, at each port, dinner shots...  so when we went to Alaska last year, I bought the unlimited package.  The problem was, there were no port pictures and no welcome aboard shots.  Instead they gave me like 50 pics of the same photos taken on formal night with different backgrounds that we never actually visited.  Disappointing.  Sorry for the ramble, but I just wondered what you meant about the photo package changing.  Looking forward to the rest of your cruise posts!  By the way, you both look stellar in your formal wear! 🙂

22 hours ago, misha1 said:

TIA

You can watch it on your stateroom TV and then designate which passengers watched it.    You then go to the Muster Station and they scan your card.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2022 at 10:13 PM, MaggieAtSea said:

Still on the fence about sailing out of Bayonne on last day of July… following closely to push me one way or the other!

why on earth would you be hesitant about sailing out of Bayonne? It's beautiful. The port is uncongested. Easy to drive to from major roadways and/or just 15 minutes from Newark airport. And...the Celebrity parking structure and boarding facilities are brand new. 

2 hours ago, David Kane said:

20220627_172851.thumb.jpg.d1f60cb0ae9a844b3a02f5451cb585cd.jpgDay 2 - The Hermitage

So this room. This room...traps you in it. Between the excellent, 5 star Personal Retreat Host, the twice daily total refresh of all things towel, the monogrammed pajamma top and bottom, the interior hot tub which comfortably fits two, the way too many outdoor loungers, the panoramic views, the ability to order all restaurant dining to be delivered we officially lost 1 1/2 consecutive days to cribbage, reading, writing comment cards for the excellent service and playing room tag.

L

I I do so hope your lovely partner's stole is not real. I'm sure kitty would be upset.

Edited by Guppy99

I'm really enjoying your review and so happy that you got a kick butt penthouse!  Life is awesome!  So happy for both of you!

The guitar player that you took a picture of... is his name Kyle?  If so, he is engaged to Putri who is a server on the ship.  Putri is a close friend of mine that I met on the Edge and the last time I heard from her she was working at the Oceanview Cafe/Cafe al Bacio.  

Looking forward to your posts and have a awesome cruise!  Thanks for sharing with all of us here!

Day ? of 7 - Quick Answers

So, per the usual, this Blog has fallen off the rails. Let's see what I can answer for people:

A) Cigar Smoking - the smoking areas have not much changed, the...left? Port! Side of the pool deck in the back corner, essentially way across the deck from the Mast Grill and then again on the next deck up in the little cabanna-thingy to the left of the Bar. The placement of that 2nd one has always amused me, as it is in line with the little jogging track so you get to run through flavor country while trying your level best to get exercise in the morning before eating your required 4700 calories a day. Some might find this aggravating, but I find it hilarious. Most people hang out at the lower one, as it is more tucked away, especially at night. The upper one can get hot during the day.

B) Yes! That was the guitarist and yes, your friend is on the ship - we have met her several times and is a delight. In fact, we just received some Spayside from her; which is my new favorite from Cafe Unpronounceable - I may have had about 11 of them so far.

C) The photo package has gone DOWN in price - I know, weird, right? I swear it used to be like $300 all in and now it's like $119, less if you just do the Digital option, minus discounts for Loyalty Levels, etc. In re: to the onboarding picture - there is a stand set-up riiiiiight before the gangway but it goes by FAST, even more so if you are being aided by a staff member with luggage or mobility. The old queue process whereby they almost toll-gate stopped you pre-boarding to take a photo is apparently long gone - or at least it is in Bayonne. Around the rest of the ship, they have 2 wandering photographers, 1 generic drop-screen rotating every night, and 1 total Green Screen so there are still several opportunities each day to have your picture taken although, in the past, I remember I feel there were more generic drop screens. In the whole, it seems the photography staff has been reduced - perhaps they are just waiting to re-staff? They are also concentrating on black/white 'intimate studio' portraits more - so maybe there is where everyone went. Also, COVID has put a temporary hold on Officer's pictures and I can't blame them in least - exposing the senior staff to 2,000+ new guests every week for pictures seems like a poor choice as things currently sit, so good on them for this. On the brighter side, it also seems the Captain is no longer showing up at the shops to entice people to buy used jewelry which I hope has improved their day; please, run this ship, the Guess products are somewhat less important than that task.

D) While not the forum for this type of discussion, I will note that our fur(s) are all ethically sourced and have been purchased directly in person from the person who created them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

B) Yes! That was the guitarist and yes, your friend is on the ship - we have met her several times and is a delight. In fact, we just received some Spayside from her; which is my new favorite from Cafe Unpronounceable - I may have had about 11 of them so far.

Thank you so much for responding to my message.  Putri is a close friend and she is like a sister to me.  If you see Putri again... please tell her that Trish sends lots of hugs.  So cool that she introduced you to a Spayside. I have to ask... what is a Spayside?  

Looking forward to reading more about your amazing cruise!  

Enjoy your cruise!

On 6/30/2022 at 6:56 PM, Jim_Iain said:

You can watch it on your stateroom TV and then designate which passengers watched it.    You then go to the Muster Station and they scan your card.

Really like the idea of watching it ahead of time.  So...if I understand correctly, we could watch it day of only?  but can see it on the app, perhaps, in our hotel prior to boarding? 

2 hours ago, misha1 said:

Really like the idea of watching it ahead of time.  So...if I understand correctly, we could watch it day of only?  but can see it on the app, perhaps, in our hotel prior to boarding? 

Certainly not an issue... it's about 5 minutes long... lol... we've done it while waiting in line to check in... or last time just waited until we were on the ship.

Glad to hear photo package prices are down and the discounts  apply as well.  We always get one,...maybe 12 shots in an album. Helps enjoy the cruise memories..They do an excellent job on E class.

From the photo with the guitar player,  I see another area  displaying   bland white  items suitable for the next garage sale!

20220627_174412.thumb.jpg.e1ae93ae55c9e26d6fb8f2051710737b.jpg

So pleased you are enjoying your cruise!

We have been fortunate enough to cruise in the M class PH twice…definitely a decadence of space! Make sure you check every cupboard before you leave, we nearly left our snorkelling gear behind, it had a wardrobe all to itself!

Much as we enjoyed the inside of the PH to us it was the balcony at night that was the highlight. Every evening we would enjoy a meal, a couple of drinks and then came the decision “show/bar/deck?”…The deck won every time…We would return to our balcony where our butler would have left a snack in the full sized fridge…We would pour ourselves a drink and star gaze…There was always a hum of noise from the sunset bar, enough to be social but not enough to be intrusive….The sound and view of the wake…If I close my eyes I can hear, see, smell and even taste the salty air now…Quite magical. 

Make the most of every moment…one thing the last few years have taught us all is to not take life and it’s beautiful opportunities and adventures for granted…

Looking forward to reading more…

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DisneyJen said:

Just made a bid via MoveUp from our RS to the PH for our 7/31 cruise on the Summit.

Fingers crossed it is accepted. If not, I know we will be happy in the RS.

Fingers crossed 🤞 for you!