Port Shopping changes

I am currently on Liberty of the Seas and have noted a few changes in regards to port shopping and wondered if anyone knew the back story.  We attended the port shopping lecture as we always do but this time it was quite a bit different.  Not sure if it was Shopping Guide driven or if it is pandemic related, etc.  Normally the port shopping lecture has 12-15 recommended shops at each port and lots of give-aways and coupons for free trinkets (daughter loves them).  This time there were about 5 recommended shops and very few “free” things to lure you in.  Most notable was the absence of Diamond International recommendations.  I have been cruising for decades now and Diamonds International is always on the “must shop” list for all three cruise lines I have been on.  Just noticed this change and did not know the reason.  Thanks for any insight.  It did not change my experience at all.  I am still having a great time and not worried about it.  Just curious about the change.  

• Like 1

Sorry...but attending these personally is a waste of time. If you need shopping tips....usually there is an information sheet in the promenade or centrum night before arrival into each port.

Hard to believe but there are actually some ports that don't have a DI :classic_wink:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The giveaways are provided by the shops.  They haven't exactly made huge profits the last 2.5 years so I wouldn't blame them for not giving away some of their merchandise to every ship that comes in.  We never go to those talks.   We have found the stores we want to shop in and not because they give away a charm.  

Edited by BND
  • Thanks 1

We did the shopping presentation once.   Our granddaughter enjoyed using the coupons for the free trinkets, but that was the only thing that we got out of it.   Other than that, it was a waste of time and we hardly ever go into those touristy shops in port. 

As for Diamonds International, they had a guarantee that if your item did not appraise for more than the price you paid, they would refund the difference.  We bought a ring and later had it appraised by our jeweler, and it was worth about 75% of what we paid for it.  I filed the claim with DI and they denied it because they said the appraiser had to be an independent gemologist, not associated with a retail store.  That type of appraisal costs about $100, and the ring only cost about $250, so it wasn't worth the trouble.  

• Like 2

I was on the Oasis earlier this month on the five day to Canada. We had nothing to do for a half hour so my wife said let's go.  All they did was push EFFY jewelry for 45 minutes. They said nothing about Halifax or St. John. I questioned the host about it afterwards and she said "We have nothing to recomend about those two towns".

I guess EFFY paid the most money to RCL. Or DI realized that it isn't worth it anymore

2 hours ago, aggroamerican said:

I am currently on Liberty of the Seas and have noted a few changes in regards to port shopping and wondered if anyone knew the back story.  We attended the port shopping lecture as we always do but this time it was quite a bit different.  Not sure if it was Shopping Guide driven or if it is pandemic related, etc.  Normally the port shopping lecture has 12-15 recommended shops at each port and lots of give-aways and coupons for free trinkets (daughter loves them).  This time there were about 5 recommended shops and very few “free” things to lure you in.  Most notable was the absence of Diamond International recommendations.  I have been cruising for decades now and Diamonds International is always on the “must shop” list for all three cruise lines I have been on.  Just noticed this change and did not know the reason.  Thanks for any insight.  It did not change my experience at all.  I am still having a great time and not worried about it.  Just curious about the change.  

Everyone "mentioned" as an "approved vendor" has paid Royal Caribbean to "advertise" in the port shopping map. Yup, we notice the distinct lack of DI in the shopping guides. Mostly likely because RCCL has jacked up the advertising fee for their port shopping map and DI was not going to coerced into paying the fee. 

However, if you stop by DI, they are still more than happy to give you a charm for your bracelet (for a quick look through their store). The stores are all still there. They are all giving out the same freebies. But they are not willing to pay RCCL inflated advertising costs for ships that are only partially full. And ships where people, initially, were unwilling to enter a lot of shops and browse as they did pre-pandemic. 

Edited by BirdTravels

40 minutes ago, mets123 said:

If you can't say anything constructive, PLEASE just go away,

Some friendly advice that has made my life infinitely more pleasant:

1) Hover your mouse over a username

2) Wait for options to appear

3) Click "ignore" on the right hand side

4) Choose what types of content you want to ignore

If you're ever feeling particularly masochistic and you want to see a particular post by a hidden user, there is an "Options" drop-down menu next to every hidden post. From there, you can choose to see just that post, or stop hiding the user. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

Some friendly advice that has made my life infinitely more pleasant:

1) Hover your mouse over a username

2) Wait for options to appear

3) Click "ignore" on the right hand side

4) Choose what types of content you want to ignore

If you're ever feeling particularly masochistic and you want to see a particular post by a hidden user, there is an "Options" drop-down menu next to every hidden post. From there, you can choose to see just that post, or stop hiding the user. 

Thanks. Best advice ever. I no longer have to see his comments or look at him in his speedo.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, mets123 said:

Thanks. Best advice ever. I no longer have to see his comments or look at him in his speedo.

There must have been some cleansing going on here, because as a late comer to the thread I am thoroughly confused, but I am guessing someone with a M in their name posted????

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, monorail81 said:

Did they give you a map?  Curious what’s on it. 

The shopping guide you can get at the promenade/centrum yes has a very limited map only showing the stores they recommend (:classic_ohmy:) !!

We were just looking for a port map for Bonaire & St Croix recently and they told us onboard that there wasn't any (shopping guide) because RCI didn't recommend any shops...basically none of them had paid for the advertisement.

3 hours ago, mets123 said:

…I guess EFFY paid the most money to RCL. Or DI realized that it isn't worth it anymore

EFFY now has a store on some of the ships.

1 hour ago, xpcdoojk said:

There must have been some cleansing going on here, because as a late comer to the thread I am thoroughly confused, but I am guessing someone with a M in their name posted????

I also missed it but I know John was advertising his speedo recently. 🤷🏼‍♀️

edited - I think you are right. I know who you are talking about now.

Edited by ReneeFLL

47 minutes ago, Ashland said:

The shopping guide you can get at the promenade/centrum yes has a very limited map only showing the stores they recommend (:classic_ohmy:) !!

We were just looking for a port map for Bonaire & St Croix recently and they told us onboard that there wasn't any (shopping guide) because RCI didn't recommend any shops...basically none of them had paid for the advertisement.

I was hoping the OP could upload a picture of what they are giving out now. I’m very aware of the maps that used to be given pre-Covid.  

3 hours ago, rudeney said:

As for Diamonds International, they had a guarantee that if your item did not appraise for more than the price you paid, they would refund the difference.  We bought a ring and later had it appraised by our jeweler, and it was worth about 75% of what we paid for it.  I filed the claim with DI and they denied it because they said the appraiser had to be an independent gemologist, not associated with a retail store.  That type of appraisal costs about $100, and the ring only cost about $250, so it wasn't worth the trouble.  

I was told by several shops in a few ports (Ketchikan, Cozumel, VI) that most cruiselines are no longer associated with DI for this (appraisal) reason and other unfavorable retail tactics.  I noticed the former stores in many ports were closed down. Seems as though RC and MSC are now promoting Effy Jewelry.

2 hours ago, monorail81 said:

I was hoping the OP could upload a picture of what they are giving out now. I’m very aware of the maps that used to be given pre-Covid.  

The ones they give out now (based on port) are just like the ones pre-covid.

14 hours ago, aggroamerican said:

To each their own of course but to me this would be an utter waste of time. Any “deal “ the cruise line is promoting on shore involves a kick back for them.

12 hours ago, rudeney said:

We did the shopping presentation once.   Our granddaughter enjoyed using the coupons for the free trinkets, but that was the only thing that we got out of it.   Other than that, it was a waste of time and we hardly ever go into those touristy shops in port. 

Of course they denied it because it’s a total sham!  If one likes that junk just buy it and enjoy, end of story.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ashland said:

Well, honestly, St. Croix doesn't really have much in the way of shopping.  It's not like other ports at all.  It's really a beach/dive port.    We've been there twice and the only shopping we did was at the little market set up at the port by locals with souvenirs.  I bought a magnet and a shot glass lol.