My return to Cunard, QM2, July 1-8, 2022

rafinmd

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

See the Queen on Marine Traffic slowing down around the Cape Cod area.

We did this on the last 4th trip around this time due to whale activity around the Cape for most of the Day. Most likely experiencing the same activity.  Around 9-10 knots she's traveling. 

Hope they have good weather today...Nice videos we got watching the whales

Captain Hall spoke at a fair length about that in his noon update.  The area stretches about 80 miles and we were to enter at 1:30 and emerge tonight about 9:30.  He indicated specifically Right Whales.

Roy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

2. Encouraging people to print things out instead of having them search through phones and a holding pattern for people having difficulty retrieving them.

An excellent point indeed. For our recent cruise on the Queen Elizabeth from Vancouver there was a vague notice on the site where we had so much to complete  (I don't remember where) suggesting it would be good to print out certain items.  As  non-smartphone people we had no choice.

Except for the first desk to verify the ArriveCan receipts (some people apparently were not aware that Victoria was the first Canadian port of call on the return) check-in was quick. As expected, Cunard didn't like the photos we uploaded but that took only seconds.  I did see people fiddling with their phones and I hope the day never comes when it will be mandatory to have one of those things.

• Like 5

On 6/30/2022 at 2:02 PM, rafinmd said:

Since I was headed for 8th Avenue I walked forwards.   Unfortunately it wasn’t actually the original station but just tunnels that ended at the Long Island Railroad and Subway.

Oh no! Trapped in the confusing, cheerless, hell-tangle of corridors that is Penn Station!
...I also got on an 8th Ave express train by mistake on my first visit to NY years ago (In my case, the first station after 57th was in Harlem at 125th - oops!)

Have a great trip!

• Like 2

Not that it makes things any better, but Cunard are not the only travel company to duplicate the check in process.

Delta flying from Nice to JFK let us check in with hand luggage only and answer all the Covid questions and declarations about passports residency etc. Then issued boarding passes, which should have seen us having a final passport check at gate.

However security rejected our boarding passes and sent us back to check in where they verified everything again and issued card boarding passes and added stickers to our passports.

We were finally allowed to go through security after that.

• Like 2

Day 2, Saturday, July 2, 2022, At Sea, Queen Mary 2

My morning walk was about 5 laps around the promenade deck, a bit windy but not bad.  I noticed that a couple of the “Commodore’s cufflinks (spare propellor blades) were missing from their mounts, don’t know if it’s routine maintenance or recent damage.  At 5AM we were headed East, almost due South of Boston.

bladegone.jpg

I spent a lot of the day in my room.  I don’t remember it in the past but the Cunard Insights lectures are now broadcast live on Channel 47 and with covid around it seems safer to watch in private.  There were 2 in the morning.  Seth Gopin led things off with a talk on skyscrapers

gopin.jpg

He was followed at 11 by Photographer Neil Leifer on Mohammed Ali as seen from a photojournalist point of view.

lrifer.jpg

In his new update Captain Hall indicated we were 60 miles SE of Nantucket and would be slowing down to 10kt from 1:30 to 9:30 as we pass through a Right Whale habitat.  We will pick up our Bar Harbor pilot at 5:30 and anchor at 700.

One of the things I don’t like about QM2 is there are very limited options for outdoor dining.  In most of my past cruises for lunch and breakfast I have picked up food in the buffet and taken it to either the Aft of Pool decks outside to eat it.  With Kings Court midship on the Promenade deck there is no place designed for that.  I miss that particular in times of Covid.  I decided to get an easy to carry lunch and looked at the promenade deck (possibly perched on one of the boxes used to store the recliner cushions.  I ended up walking aft and to deck 8 where there were a few tables.  Not a good option but interesting.

lunch02.jpg

The afternoon talk was at 12:15 and I caught only part of it.  Historian William Fowler spoke on the Declaration of Independence.  It was well underway when I got back from lunch but I was eventually able to hear the first half in replay.

The one thing I did attend in person was a classical piano concert with Caroline Oltmanns.  She presented a variety of works Scarlati, Chopin, and contemporary James Wilding.

oltmanns.jpg

This was the first of 2 Gala nights.  There were 2 new people at Table 302, a couple from Australia.  They have been on since Southampton, and it sounds like the missing couple is in quarantine.  I’m beginning to wonder about the table.  The lady declares herself a “food critic” and complains about everything.  Dinner ran long, and things were not perfect but I am fed very acceptable food and all I need to do is be here, while the negativity is a real drag.  My choices for the evening were the Caesar Salad, Roasted Goose, and Strawberry Ice Cream.

dishes02.jpg

The featured entertainment was the Royal Cunard Singers and Dancers with “Be our Guest”.  I did not go.  We also had the Black and White Ball in the Queens Room.  I dropped by just briefly and it looked liked people were having a great time.

bwb.jpg

I did not sleep as well as Friday night but still quite well.  Sunrise came very early, before 5AM and I was just a bit late.

dawn0703.jpg

My parting shot is based on dinner.  It’s a quote that sounds like Casey Stengel but it’s actually Colonel Potter from MASH.  “If you aren’t where you are, you’re nowhere”

Roy

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the update, sorry to hear about the food critic, I hope she calms down or decides it's so bad she goes elsewhere to eat.

The broadcasting the talks is new since the re-start and seems very sensible.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

My morning walk was about 5 laps around the promenade deck, a bit windy but not bad.  I noticed that a couple of the “Commodore’s cufflinks (spare propellor blades) were missing from their mounts, don’t know if it’s routine maintenance or recent damage.  At 5AM we were headed East, almost due South of Boston.

bladegone.jpg

Roy

So this is what it looks like on formal nights?

• Haha 2

Will Cunard ever get embarkation right?  Roy, I am so sorry for your long waits and exhaustion.  Note that our June 22 embarkation in Hamburg took 2 1/2 hours and we were priority!  Other PAX reported waits of close to 4 hours.  We have never had these problems on other lines, but have experienced them on Cunard in New York, Southampton, Hamburg, Cape Town, and Los Angeles.  Experiences like these probably scare away first timers.  Actually worse than getting through the nightmares at many airports!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rafinmd said:

In case you don't hear much from me, the internet has been particularly awful today.

Roy

Wishing you a very happy July 4th Roy.

Sorry to hear about your embarkation issues.

I hope the rest of your cruise is fantastic.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, tv24 said:

Will Cunard ever get embarkation right?  Roy, I am so sorry for your long waits and exhaustion.  Note that our June 22 embarkation in Hamburg took 2 1/2 hours and we were priority!  Other PAX reported waits of close to 4 hours.  We have never had these problems on other lines, but have experienced them on Cunard in New York, Southampton, Hamburg, Cape Town, and Los Angeles.  Experiences like these probably scare away first timers.  Actually worse than getting through the nightmares at many airports!

well if you have experience this for Cunard in 5 ports, then that tells me I should give Cunard a pass.

I mean Cunard is part of Carnival Corp, and boarding ships are easy for CCL, HAL, and Princess.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rafinmd said:

In case you don't hear much from me, the internet has been particularly awful today.

Roy

I am hearing that about a lot of cruiselines more and more.

Sounds like quite an ordeal getting to NYC dealing with trains and subways.

Also surprised that boarding in Queens was a bit rough for you.  I mean RCI is easy.

Oh and if that negative lady bothers you more, get another table.  I had that happen to me about 8 years ago, and went to the main desk at the entrance to restaurant and got moved real fast.

toodles enjoy your trip. I am unsure if I would want to do a cunard ship though.

• Like 4

Roy, I'm really enjoying reading about your cruise.  Crazy about the embarkation issues.  All of our recent past 4 cruises since the restart were not like that at all.

Personally, I would change tables.  I love food and all things food but would never claim to be a "critic" and would never complain if it was something I didn't like, I just wouldn't eat it.  Life is too short to be around people like that.  In the distant past we have changed tables but now only do tables for 2.  On our last cruise there was a table of 3 ladies next to us with whom I developed a liking and one was on several excursions as mine.  When DH was in covid isolation they invited me to join them but I declined, but did join them for dessert.  We had a great time. 

Enjoy your 4th in Boston!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I have uploaded the first 3 Daily Programmes to the blog:

https://morethangetaways.wordpress.com/m219-programs/

Wordpress has changed how their file upload works and it is a lot harder so this is likely the last cruise where I post programs unless I can find another hosting site.

I've also posted the letter we got on embarkation about Covid Protocols:

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2022/07/covidletter.pdf

And the Bar Harbor Congregational Church bulletin:

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2022/07/bhchurch.pdf

Roy

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

well if you have experience this for Cunard in 5 ports, then that tells me I should give Cunard a pass.

I mean Cunard is part of Carnival Corp, and boarding ships are easy for CCL, HAL, and Princess.

Can only speak of our 2 QM2 cruises from Southampton Jan &June boarding was quick 30/40 minutes from car drop off 2 cabin. As diamond we did have priority boarding. Saw the lines in Hamburg first call 12th June was worse than 22nd. I not certain that Cunard have total responsibility 4 port ops.

@rafinmd Thank you for posting the church bulletin. I love the confession - it is very different from our own, but it is full of spirit, beauty and powerful meaning. I’m agreeing with others who are saying, “move to another table!” for dinner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Well exactly!  We have never had a problem boarding on HAL or Seabourn, or even very large ships on Princess and Carnival.  In my experience, it has not been a problem of Carnival Corp., but of Cunard.  This should be addressed as I fear it is chasing away repeat customers.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sogne said:

Can only speak of our 2 QM2 cruises from Southampton Jan &June boarding was quick 30/40 minutes from car drop off 2 cabin. As diamond we did have priority boarding. Saw the lines in Hamburg first call 12th June was worse than 22nd. I not certain that Cunard have total responsibility 4 port ops.

Should be 14th June not 12th.

3 hours ago, tv24 said:

Well exactly!  We have never had a problem boarding on HAL or Seabourn, or even very large ships on Princess and Carnival.  In my experience, it has not been a problem of Carnival Corp., but of Cunard.  This should be addressed as I fear it is chasing away repeat customers.

We have never had problems boarding P&O from Southampton on our 23 sailings or 7 Royal Caribbean sailings from Southampton.

Roy I hope you change your table because individuals like the one you mentioned can make you dread going for dinner.

Take care and enjoy your cruise and many thanks for doing a Live From your cruise.

Graham.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We have never had problems boarding P&O from Southampton on our 23 sailings or 7 Royal Caribbean sailings from Southampton.

Graham.

Even since Covid? I never experienced any problem at Southampton before.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Even since Covid? I never experienced any problem at Southampton before.

4 P&O and 1 Royal Caribbean cruises from Southampton since August 2021.

For us about 20 minutes queue for terminal covid test on P&O then 20-30 minutes for negative results then a quick check in and through security then onto ship.

This was at Ocean terminal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

4 P&O and 1 Royal Caribbean cruises from Southampton since August 2021.

For us about 20 minutes queue for terminal covid test on P&O then 20-30 minutes for negative results then a quick check in and through security then onto ship.

This was at Ocean terminal.

In April, we had to wait a little while for CPS to get to us, then the same wait as you for Covid testing and results. Then everything fairly smooth until security, which probably took half an hour, largely due to (male) passengers failing to remove outer layers (several: it was a cold day) until at the very front. This meant each person took about five minutes to process rather than about two. So how much of that can be put down to Cunard I really don't know.

• Like 1