My return to Cunard, QM2, July 1-8, 2022

rafinmd

23 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Day 2, Saturday, July 2, 2022, At Sea, Queen Mary 2

My morning walk was about 5 laps around the promenade deck, a bit windy but not bad.  I noticed that a couple of the “Commodore’s cufflinks (spare propellor blades) were missing from their mounts, don’t know if it’s routine maintenance or recent damage.  At 5AM we were headed East, almost due South of Boston.

bladegone.jpg

I spent a lot of the day in my room.  I don’t remember it in the past but the Cunard Insights lectures are now broadcast live on Channel 47 and with covid around it seems safer to watch in private.  There were 2 in the morning.  Seth Gopin led things off with a talk on skyscrapers

gopin.jpg

He was followed at 11 by Photographer Neil Leifer on Mohammed Ali as seen from a photojournalist point of view.

lrifer.jpg

In his new update Captain Hall indicated we were 60 miles SE of Nantucket and would be slowing down to 10kt from 1:30 to 9:30 as we pass through a Right Whale habitat.  We will pick up our Bar Harbor pilot at 5:30 and anchor at 700.

One of the things I don’t like about QM2 is there are very limited options for outdoor dining.  In most of my past cruises for lunch and breakfast I have picked up food in the buffet and taken it to either the Aft of Pool decks outside to eat it.  With Kings Court midship on the Promenade deck there is no place designed for that.  I miss that particular in times of Covid.  I decided to get an easy to carry lunch and looked at the promenade deck (possibly perched on one of the boxes used to store the recliner cushions.  I ended up walking aft and to deck 8 where there were a few tables.  Not a good option but interesting.

lunch02.jpg

The afternoon talk was at 12:15 and I caught only part of it.  Historian William Fowler spoke on the Declaration of Independence.  It was well underway when I got back from lunch but I was eventually able to hear the first half in replay.

The one thing I did attend in person was a classical piano concert with Caroline Oltmanns.  She presented a variety of works Scarlati, Chopin, and contemporary James Wilding.

oltmanns.jpg

This was the first of 2 Gala nights.  There were 2 new people at Table 302, a couple from Australia.  They have been on since Southampton, and it sounds like the missing couple is in quarantine.  I’m beginning to wonder about the table.  The lady declares herself a “food critic” and complains about everything.  Dinner ran long, and things were not perfect but I am fed very acceptable food and all I need to do is be here, while the negativity is a real drag.  My choices for the evening were the Caesar Salad, Roasted Goose, and Strawberry Ice Cream.

dishes02.jpg

The featured entertainment was the Royal Cunard Singers and Dancers with “Be our Guest”.  I did not go.  We also had the Black and White Ball in the Queens Room.  I dropped by just briefly and it looked liked people were having a great time.

bwb.jpg

I did not sleep as well as Friday night but still quite well.  Sunrise came very early, before 5AM and I was just a bit late.

dawn0703.jpg

My parting shot is based on dinner.  It’s a quote that sounds like Casey Stengel but it’s actually Colonel Potter from MASH.  “If you aren’t where you are, you’re nowhere”

Roy

We have been blessed to have sailed on the QM 2 since she was a baby in 2004 including a 50th anniversary for my parents when she first sailed.  In my experience the minute I encounter a complainer I change tables or ignore them or walk away. It will not detract me from having a great experience.  Most of the time the complainers are professional complainers and do not deserve our attention. Believe me between New York and Hawaii there is enough to complain about but it is a first world problem. At least we don’t have to love with them! Just enjoy the cruise, smooth sailing, enjoy the french toast, high tea and the beautiful ship and hopefully find homer on the bronze relief in the main thoroughfare lol! 

• Like 4

Day 3, Sunday, July 3, 2022, Bar Harbor, Maine

After a foggy night the weather turned nice and stayed that way for our day in Bar Harbor with clear skies and a temperature of about 75 (24C).  There were 2 other ships here today, the tiny American Independence (it looked a bit ragged) and a ferry to Yarmouth, NS.  Since last year cruise ships are a little less welcome in Bar Harbor, now required to anchor out of sight on the far side of Bar Island, which makes the tender ride a bit longer.

I have been to Bar Harbor many times before (including just over a month ago) and my plans were modest, primarily getting to a church service.  My goal was the Congregational Church, just behind the village green with a 10AM service.  If I ran late there is an Episcopal church next door with an 11AM service.

I was ready and left my room about 8:45.  Tender tickets were required to go ashore and they were given out in the Royal Court Theater.  Before entering we were required to perform a “step test”, stepping across an 18-inch gap (roughly half a meter) between 2 lines on piece of carpet.  I was given a ticket number 3 and noticed that others in the room had number 2 so I settled in for a bit of a wait. It turned out that 2 and 3 were called together so the wait was not long at all and we headed down to the tender dock.  

bhchurch.jpg

When I was in Bar Harbor in May on Adventure of the Seas we used local tour boats to get ashore; QM2 used her own tender boats which are much smaller and loaded very quickly.  When we got to the dock we landed right next to the final ramp up to land.  That was a big advantage over Adventure where the bigger boat had to land at a spot much further out with an additional ramp and cross a section of dock with no railings.

I think it was on the tender that I realized that in my final preparations I had not packed a camera to take ashore.  I did have my IPAD but find it clumsy to use as a camera and only took a couple of photos ashore.  I arrived at the church about 9:45, almost perfect timing for the 10AM service.  I did not see any notices at church requiring masks but everyone was wearing one.

After the service there were just a couple of things I wanted to do.  The first was a bit of shopping for sundries.  The visitor center suggested a supermarket 5 blocks down from the main street.  I found it but all I ended up finding was a spare comb.  The other thing was ice cream.  There are several lovely ice cream shops in town.  I tried one in May and would have happily returned but wanted to try another as well.  At least one more in reserve for a future visit.  I saw a lovely assortment of interesting flavors but as soon as I saw pistachio I knew that had to be it.  I asked for a kids extra small but it was still quite enormous.

yummy.jpg

The tender ride back was very easy.  I boarded a tender just as another was pulling up behind it.  We left as soon as that tender had discharged it’s guests, a very short wait to get under way.  The upper deck on the tender was open and I had a lovely view on the way back to the ship.  I had a quiet afternoon on board.  

We had the same four people at dinner.  The couple seemed a bit more mellow or perhaps I am just getting to tune their negativity out a bit.  I do hate to change tables as I feel that is unfair to my waiters Edgardo and Neil.  I will if it is really necessary but not right now.  Service was also faster tonight and we were out about 7:15.  My choices were Hearts of Palm, Sirloin Steak, and Rose Scented Pavlova.  I had a momentary lapse on taking the picture of the salad.

dishes03.jpg

I did not attend the featured entertainment, singer Roy G Hemmings.  The sun setting over Bar Harbor was very nice.

dusk703c.jpg

I slept well and woke early, actually ahead of a very beautiful sunrise over the stern.

Today’s parting shot is best Independence Day wishes for all my fellow Americans.

Roy

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

Enjoy your vacation but i would change the table. The second you get off the ship the crew will forget you although I respectfully respect them. Its your money your enjoyment. I would not subject my family to a Debbie Downer to make the crew happy. It can be done respectfully and diplomatically but I have been there and done that.  Its just my respectful opinion. All the best and smooth sailing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good luck today in Boston, Roy.  Hope the ship still decorates for Independence Day which I always found amusing on a ship with a distinctive British flair.  I would suggest that if you do decide to change your table that you alert the head waiter as to your reason for requesting a change.  Your concern for the wait staff is valid — sometimes blame is assigned to them for situations out of their control.  

Seeing your post about the daily lectures brings back pleasant memories.  I am always a consistent attender of all the lectures.  You are making me want to book a QM2 trip very soon!  Katherine 

• Like 3

There have been comments elsewhere on the condition of the QM2 elevators.  Ironically, this seems to be primarily an  issue for those in the Grills.  I believe the ship has 18 main passenger elevators, 3 each at the A and D landings, and 6 each at the B and C landings.  As far as I can tell 16 are working just fine, the 2 with problems are both at the aft D landings; the ones that serve the Grills restaurants.  Also a bit of an issue for the Queens room.

Roy

• Like 4

HI!

To me it's getting kind of late to change tables.  If you decide to I recommend wandering around the dining room and scout out tables of your preferred size and see which ones have an open seat and are occupied by apparently fun people.  You can tell.  See if the MD can switch you making sure not to blame your waiters for wanting to make this move.   I did this once on the QE not because the table mates were obnoxious but because we had little to say to each other.  Boring. Good luck and thank you for taking the time to bring us along.

Deck Chair.

Edited by deck chair
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

well if you have experience this for Cunard in 5 ports, then that tells me I should give Cunard a pass.

I mean Cunard is part of Carnival Corp, and boarding ships are easy for CCL, HAL, and Princess.

I boarded a Princess ship in March and it was a horrendous ordeal.

22 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I am hearing that about a lot of cruiselines more and more.

Sounds like quite an ordeal getting to NYC dealing with trains and subways.

Also surprised that boarding in Queens was a bit rough for you.  I mean RCI is easy.

Oh and if that negative lady bothers you more, get another table.  I had that happen to me about 8 years ago, and went to the main desk at the entrance to restaurant and got moved real fast.

toodles enjoy your trip. I am unsure if I would want to do a cunard ship though.

Red Hook is in Brooklyn.

@rafinmd, Roy, it’s nice to see your trip reports again.  Smooth sailing.  ⛴

• Like 3

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

I boarded a Princess ship in March and it was a horrendous ordeal.

Red Hook is in Brooklyn.

@rafinmd, Roy, it’s nice to see your trip reports again.  Smooth sailing.  ⛴

aw yes I got confused sorry.

Not sure if I would do any sailings not from Bayonne but Roy taking a train into the city might be interesting.  I would have to do this from Phila or phila airport.  Or Newark.  

8 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Day 3, Sunday, July 3, 2022, Bar Harbor, Maine

After a foggy night the weather turned nice and stayed that way for our day in Bar Harbor with clear skies and a temperature of about 75 (24C).  There were 2 other ships here today, the tiny American Independence (it looked a bit ragged) and a ferry to Yarmouth, NS.  Since last year cruise ships are a little less welcome in Bar Harbor, now required to anchor out of sight on the far side of Bar Island, which makes the tender ride a bit longer.

I have been to Bar Harbor many times before (including just over a month ago) and my plans were modest, primarily getting to a church service.  My goal was the Congregational Church, just behind the village green with a 10AM service.  If I ran late there is an Episcopal church next door with an 11AM service.

I was ready and left my room about 8:45.  Tender tickets were required to go ashore and they were given out in the Royal Court Theater.  Before entering we were required to perform a “step test”, stepping across an 18-inch gap (roughly half a meter) between 2 lines on piece of carpet.  I was given a ticket number 3 and noticed that others in the room had number 2 so I settled in for a bit of a wait. It turned out that 2 and 3 were called together so the wait was not long at all and we headed down to the tender dock.  

bhchurch.jpg

When I was in Bar Harbor in May on Adventure of the Seas we used local tour boats to get ashore; QM2 used her own tender boats which are much smaller and loaded very quickly.  When we got to the dock we landed right next to the final ramp up to land.  That was a big advantage over Adventure where the bigger boat had to land at a spot much further out with an additional ramp and cross a section of dock with no railings.

I think it was on the tender that I realized that in my final preparations I had not packed a camera to take ashore.  I did have my IPAD but find it clumsy to use as a camera and only took a couple of photos ashore.  I arrived at the church about 9:45, almost perfect timing for the 10AM service.  I did not see any notices at church requiring masks but everyone was wearing one.

After the service there were just a couple of things I wanted to do.  The first was a bit of shopping for sundries.  The visitor center suggested a supermarket 5 blocks down from the main street.  I found it but all I ended up finding was a spare comb.  The other thing was ice cream.  There are several lovely ice cream shops in town.  I tried one in May and would have happily returned but wanted to try another as well.  At least one more in reserve for a future visit.  I saw a lovely assortment of interesting flavors but as soon as I saw pistachio I knew that had to be it.  I asked for a kids extra small but it was still quite enormous.

yummy.jpg

The tender ride back was very easy.  I boarded a tender just as another was pulling up behind it.  We left as soon as that tender had discharged it’s guests, a very short wait to get under way.  The upper deck on the tender was open and I had a lovely view on the way back to the ship.  I had a quiet afternoon on board.  

We had the same four people at dinner.  The couple seemed a bit more mellow or perhaps I am just getting to tune their negativity out a bit.  I do hate to change tables as I feel that is unfair to my waiters Edgardo and Neil.  I will if it is really necessary but not right now.  Service was also faster tonight and we were out about 7:15.  My choices were Hearts of Palm, Sirloin Steak, and Rose Scented Pavlova.  I had a momentary lapse on taking the picture of the salad.

dishes03.jpg

I did not attend the featured entertainment, singer Roy G Hemmings.  The sun setting over Bar Harbor was very nice.

dusk703c.jpg

I slept well and woke early, actually ahead of a very beautiful sunrise over the stern.

Today’s parting shot is best Independence Day wishes for all my fellow Americans.

Roy

Sounds like a great day Roy.

Pistachio is my favourite ice cream too. 

• Like 1

Day 4, Monday. July 4, 2022, Boston, Massachusetts

By the time I went on deck about 5 land and lights were already visible ahead of us.  I have a long history with Boston as I have been there several times on cruises and land trips, my brother spent 4 years at Harvard, and I a month at an actuarial seminar at Northeastern University.  Things started off with much more routine issues.  I had a notice that there was not a credit card registered to my account and I needed to turn in my Canadian Customs declaration.  The Customs Declaration was easy but the computer would not bring up the credit card scanner.  While there I adjusted the gratuities.  I would normally augment them a little bit but this time was a more substantial increase as the crew was working extra hard cleaning everywhere and serving all the normally self service food in Kings Court.

The other routine matter was the result of a packing mistake.  For formal nights on short cruises I use a Travelsmith Black Blazer and matching slacks but I had forgotten that since March 2020 I had replaced the slacks.  The come un-hemmed.  I packed them in the bag that went with Luggage Forward and when I left home decided those could be my backup long pants.  The first gala night I put on the Travelsmith slacks and the legs extended down to my toes and were just not going to work.  I had to go to my only other pair of long pants that I had worn since leaving home.  They were in urgent need of laundry so that became my second order of business.  The laundry rooms open at 7:30 and I lined up at 7:10 to be sure of getting a washer.  The guy with the key came about 7:20 and they went in the washer.  Back about 8:05 to move them to the dryer and they were done at 9.  After moving the laundry to the drier I went down to Kings Court for a waffle.  As noted before I prefer to eat outdoors and there were tables open at the back of deck 7.  I did take the plate back to Kings Court when finished.

alfresco.jpg

My plans for the day were quite modest.  There was a shuttle from the ship to Quincy and I boarded it about 11.  I had thought of lunch at Panera which is fairly close to Quincy.  The walk was along a greenway in the median of a wide boulevard where an ugly elevated highway once ran.  

greenway.jpg

Unfortunately, when I got to my destination it turned out the staff was out enjoying the holiday so I wandered back on various side streets to Quincy Market, a finally back to the shuttle.  As I boarded the shuttle I confirmed something I had feared.  I had looked for Durgin Park “in the shadow of Fanueil Hall”, an iconic steak house where my family celebrated my brother’s graduation in 1962 (and it was a legend way back then) and been back a couple times since then but the guide confirmed it is no longer in business.  It will be missed.

quincy.jpg

My afternoon was pretty low key but I did get to afternoon tea for a scone with a gentleman on the guitar.  It’s been extremely crowded on sea days so this was the right time.

teatime.jpg

There was a bit of drama at dinner but this time of my making.  I had requested advance copies of the dinner for my own planning purposes but the staff was quite sure I needed to be on a diabetic diet, and I had to turn in my selections the day before.  When my salad came it was awful.  The waiter explained it was special for as a diabetic.  I was quite forceful that I could eat what was on the menu, I just had to plan my other meals around it and think this time the message got through and I walked out with Tuesday’s menu.  The rest of the meal was Rack of Lamb and Key Lime tart.  It was followed by red, white, and blue petit fours.  The complainer in chief was not present.

dishes04.jpg

Sunset came about 8; at 7:45 I caught a glimpse of the sun going down sandwiched between the platform for the rescue boat and the top of the cruise terminal.

dusk704d.jpg

The Boston Pops concert was shown on the big screen in the Royal Court Theater.  There was a celebration of the fireworks up on deck 13.  I was a bit disappointed in that as the views were through the plexiglass barriers and the display was nice but a bit awkward to see.  I also went down to the Promenade Deck where I could not see the fireworks but the bangs in the distance were very evident.

popsroyal.jpg

I woke about 5 and when I went out on deck the sun had just risen over the bow.

dawn0705.jpg

My parting shot will be a wish for healing for the people of Highland Park and the shooting victims.

Roy

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Oh Wow,

Durgin Park closed☹️; we  were all young men back in the 60’s and thought we could eat a lot-until we ordered the roast beef at Durgin Park--overwhelming!

On the matter of the table-I would change-other people’s misery IS NOT part of your contract with Cunard. 

Can’t wait for August so I can be on my fave ship. Bon Voyage!

By the way, we used to go to a pizzeria in the North End, which was very traditional southern Italian and only served pizza made with mushrooms, peppers, onions or anchovies-can’t remember the name. Have you been there-is it still open?

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

My afternoon was pretty low key but I did get to afternoon tea for a scone with a gentleman on the guitar.  It’s been extremely crowded on sea days so this was the right time.

There was a bit of drama at dinner but this time of my making.  I had requested advance copies of the dinner for my own planning purposes but the staff was quite sure I needed to be on a diabetic diet, and I had to turn in my selections the day before. 

Nice to hear they still have afternoon tea.

BUT for a classy cruiseline like Cunard, to have the waiter misunderstand that you are diabetic was in my opinion out of line. Asking for advance copies of the menu should in now way give any staff members a reason to guess or comment on your health.

Sorry buy Cunard down not sound like it would be for me.  I have heard a few people I have run into over the last few years say how disappointed they are in Cunard.

While on the Carnival Vista back in 2017, I met a very wealthy couple and they said they prefer carnival ships as they are more fun.  They felt Cunard was trying too hard to be special and was lacking the grace it used to have years ago.

That being said, your itinerary is great.  Must have been fun to be in Boston for the 4th.  I like cruising from Boston so I get more time in upper Canadian waters and going to Quebec City as well as  Newfoundland and Nova Scotia.

Speaking of ADV OTS, my stop on my Sept cruise is not doing Halifax now but rather Sydney which is fine as well.

Have a safe trip home.    Hint Put your camera next to the door or room key so you won't forget it

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Nice to hear they still have afternoon tea.

BUT for a classy cruiseline like Cunard, to have the waiter misunderstand that you are diabetic was in my opinion out of line. Asking for advance copies of the menu should in now way give any staff members a reason to guess or comment on your health.

Sorry buy Cunard down not sound like it would be for me.  I have heard a few people I have run into over the last few years say how disappointed they are in Cunard.

While on the Carnival Vista back in 2017, I met a very wealthy couple and they said they prefer carnival ships as they are more fun.  They felt Cunard was trying too hard to be special and was lacking the grace it used to have years ago.

That being said, your itinerary is great.  Must have been fun to be in Boston for the 4th.  I like cruising from Boston so I get more time in upper Canadian waters and going to Quebec City as well as  Newfoundland and Nova Scotia.

Speaking of ADV OTS, my stop on my Sept cruise is not doing Halifax now but rather Sydney which is fine as well.

Have a safe trip home.    Hint Put your camera next to the door or room key so you won't forget it

I too am an brittle diabetic. You cannot trust anyone other than yourself or your wife 

Day 5, Tuesday July 5, 2022, At Sea, Queen Mary 2

It was a lovely but chilly sea day.  I did not take a lot of photos but will start off with some of my room.  It’s far forward on deck 6, and I have just a rather small porthole.  When I boarded the ship the beds were combined into a queen with pretty narrow spaces on each side.

616out.jpg

Looking forward from near the porthole there is a desk and the bathroom on the left side and a

sofa and closets on the right side.  There is a mini-fridge under the TV and 2 US and 2 UK power outlets at the desk.  A double US outlet behind the TV has one free plug as well.

616in.jpg

While I was at dinner my room steward separated the beds.  While the porthole is small it’s nice to have space where I can look out.

616twin.jpg

It was a fairly decent day for walking with probably about 2 miles total on the promenade deck. Nothing like  what I would have done in my prime but still very nice.  

There were 2 Cunard insights presentations, both in the morning.  Historian William Fowler started things off at 10 with a presentation on Schooners.  For many years they became the workhorses of communication, transport, and cargo hauling.

fowler.jpg

The 11AM presentation was photographer Neil Leifer sharing some of the stories behind his photographs.  In his noon update Captain Hall indicated we were 90 miles off the coast of Maine with 138 miles sailed since Boston and 248 to go.  We will start our approach to Halifax at 6:45AM, be alongside at 8, and time in port will be 8:30 to 6.  Rain is expected in Halifax (It’s falling as I type this) and a high temperature of 62.

I managed go through lunch without eating anything inside Kings Court, taking pizza out to a lounger on the Promenade Deck and a bowl of soft serv to deck 8 aft.

The afternoon was quiet as well but I did go down to the Queens Room at 2 for another recital by Caroline Oltmans, this time works by Schubert and Beethoven.

It was just 2 of us again at dinner with the complainer in chief nowhere in evidence.  My choices for the evening were Carrot and Mandarin Salad, Medallions of Pork Filet, and Carrot Cake.  Service was quick and easy and I was out in plenty of time to have watched a sunset but there was light fog.

dishes05.jpg

The featured entertainment was comedian Tom Briscoe.  I passed but may attend a followup July 6 in the Queens Room.  I did go to the Queens Room at 9 where the Royal Court Orchestra combined with the Queens Room Orchestra for an Big Band evening featuring the Great American Songbook.

bigband.jpg

It was an early bed time since we lost an hour moving to Halifax time.  Today’s parting shot.  They say into every life a little rain must fall.  It looks like it is falling on our day in Halifax this time.

Just breaking.  We are behind schedule and Captain announced our arrival will be about a half hour later than planned with the gangway out around 9.  Heaviest rain expected around noon.

Roy

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Just breaking.  We are behind schedule and Captain announced our arrival will be about a half hour later than planned with the gangway out around 9.  Heaviest rain expected around noon.

Roy

I have been lucky - on our three visits to Halifax on the QM2 it has been a lovely day. (We have not been so lucky on our train trips, though.) This Webcam is live, but you can usually back it up.

https://www.novascotiawebcams.com/en/webcams/pier-21/

• Like 1