My return to Cunard, QM2, July 1-8, 2022

rafinmd

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Never left the terminal complex today.  It's now 5:40PM (All aboard is 6) and the rain has finally stopped but still not a nice day.

Roy

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

dear Roy!!

Loving your reports and especially these great photos! Another one of my many that I have saved of yours over the years! 
mahalo

Denise🙂

image.thumb.jpeg.7dffb7604bfd46ac482928018f0e820c.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Day 6, Wednesday, July 6, 2022, Halifax, Canada

It was a very nasty weather.  We were late into Halifax due to traffic near the port and later still getting cleared as a small number of guests hesitated to show up for immigration.  The original plan of the gangway opening at 8:30 was delayed until 9:30.  

I have a relative in Halifax and we had originally considered meeting for the day.  When we talked he indicated that he is on along list for cataract surgery and that his partner who does the driving had a medical appointment of his own so my only meeting with Ron was on the phone.  

I really did not feel like going out into the weather and opted instead to visit the Canadian Museum of Immigration which shares the building with the cruise terminal.  I spent about an hour in the museum before returning to the ship.  The terminal itself is currently a huge open space.  There are lots of market kiosks but they are currently vacant.  I believe they are due to open later this summer.  

halifaxhall.jpg

Lunch was a lovely slice of ham steak, fruit salad, and skim milk from Kings Court.

It became a fairly expensive afternoon.  I first met with Cruise Sales and am now booked for the first Caribbean Cruise on the new ship Queen Anne in February 2024.  I also booked a transfer to Penn Station at the end of this cruise.

There were again just 2 of us at table 302.  My choices were Oxtail Consume, Braised Lamb Shank, and Ice Cream.  We were finished before 7.

dishes06.jpg

The featured entertainment was the Royal Cunard Singers and Dancers with Rhythm of the Night.  I passed but did go to an encore of comedian Tom Briscoe at 9 in the Queens Room.

briscoe.jpg

The weather started clearing as we left Halifax but the evening was marked with gale force winds.  Conditions are much better this morning with a beautiful sunrise over the Terrace Pool.

dawn707c.jpg

My parting shot is from a display at the Pier 22 museum.  It’s a salute to all who served on D-Day, (some units sailed from Pier 22) and especially those who did not return.

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2022/07/heroes.jpg

Roy

• Like 14

18 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

I have been lucky - on our three visits to Halifax on the QM2 it has been a lovely day. (We have not been so lucky on our train trips, though.) This Webcam is live, but you can usually back it up.

https://www.novascotiawebcams.com/en/webcams/pier-21/

The departure can still be viewed on this Webcam. I backed it up by 14 hours as of 08:20 Eastern time.

The QM2 - and most ships - usually depart by sailing north and then do a sweep of the harbour. Sadly, the QM2 merely backed from the berth, spun around, and sailed away. The operator of the Webcam, however, zoomed in to provide some good views.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

The QM2 - and most ships - usually depart by sailing north and then do a sweep of the harbour. Sadly, the QM2 merely backed from the berth, spun around, and sailed away.

That's unfortunate.  As you say, QM2 usually departs towards the Angus Macdonald bridge, does a turn, and then back along the Halifax waterfront.  We've done this twice on QM2, and both times we've had a water salute from a harbour fireboat and QM2 gave the city a long horn blast.  It makes for a very enjoyable sailaway.  Two photos attached below from 11 July 2015.

Best wishes to @rafinmd and others aboard for the remainder of your voyage.

image.thumb.png.aac32878db190394d81edf825fcd376b.png

image.thumb.png.e705e36b53ab18fe8d410d08ac44a524.png

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, sfred said:

That's unfortunate.  As you say, QM2 usually departs towards the Angus Macdonald bridge, does a turn, and then back along the Halifax waterfront.  We've done this twice on QM2, and both times we've had a water salute from a harbour fireboat and QM2 gave the city a long horn blast.  It makes for a very enjoyable sailaway.  Two photos attached below from 11 July 2015.

Best wishes to @rafinmd and others aboard for the remainder of your voyage.

image.thumb.png.aac32878db190394d81edf825fcd376b.png

image.thumb.png.e705e36b53ab18fe8d410d08ac44a524.png

The weather might have something to do with our more abbreviated sailaway.

Roy

• Like 3

Day 7, Thursday, July 7, 2022, At Sea, Queen Mary 2

By morning the winds across the deck had diminished from over 40 knots to under 20 but it was still a chilly breeze.  The highlight of the day would be packing but there were also 2 Crystal Visions morning programs, Seth Gopin at 10 on the life of Thomas Paine, and a Q&A at 11 with Neil Leifer. I followed both on TV as packing progressed.  

In his noon update Captain Hall indicated we would reach the midway point of our return journey about 1PM and the afternoon weather will be very pleasant.  We will pass under the bridge about 4:45 and be alongside by 7, with very warm temperatures on Friday.  I had a totally al fresco lunch with skim milk and hot dog from Chef’s Corner, taken to the one place that could be reached without manually opening a door; Deck 12 near the closed Boardwalk Café, accessed by the B elevators and automatic sliding doors by the Pavilion Pool.  No tables out but there were several loungers.

There were 2 program items of interest in the afternoon.  Caroline Oltmanns held her final piano performance at 2 in the Queens Room.  I skipped that but dropped in on Venus Tsai’s violin performance at 3 in the Royal Court Theater.  I was not really a fan of her style.

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2022/07/tsai.jpg

I’m thinking a long time Cunard Tradition has likely ended. There was no auction of the Navigation Chart to raise money for the Prince’s Trust.  I wonder if it is becoming difficult to get charts as electronic navigation takes over.  Perhaps there will be an auction as QM2 approaches Southampton, the end of the 21 day version of the voyage but I fear this tradition may have run it’s course.

I did not attend afternoon tea but did stop by for goodies at Kings Court after the Venus Tsai concert.  While I love the scones my real weakness is the Oatmeal Raisin cookies.

Our final dinner was once again just 2 of us.  My choices for the evening were the Duck Consume, Roast Beef, and Ice Cream.

dishes07.jpg

I did go out on deck about 9 for a final dusk shot, with sun not yet down but producing some nice colors as I watched from the Starboard Promenade Deck.

dusk707c.jpg

The big bag went out about 9:20 although it seemed early since it is still light out I hope to be in bed early as well,

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2022/07/bagout.jpg

My parting shot will be a practical one.  Friday will be a long day leaving the ship before 8:30, and arriving in Maryland about 4:40.  After buying groceries it will be after 6 when I get home.  I do plan to report on the disembarkation day but it may not happen until Saturday or even Sunday.

Roy

• Like 18

A joy to have Roy back and posting such positive daily reviews from one of my favorite ships, despite the lady complainer.  Maybe she read his posts and ate in the Lido or changed tables.   Hope you be writing from another voyage soon!!   Aloha from Hawaii.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Oahucruiser said:

A joy to have Roy back and posting such positive daily reviews from one of my favorite ships, despite the lady complainer.  Maybe she read his posts and ate in the Lido or changed tables.   Hope you be writing from another voyage soon!!   Aloha from Hawaii.

Happy to see someone from the 2008 final QE2 world cruise still on line. Blessings from a male member of the cobalt blue dress brigade.

2 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

Happy to see someone from the 2008 final QE2 world cruise still on line. Blessings from a male member of the cobalt blue dress brigade.

That is hilarious after all these years.  I still have a photo of the ladies in cobalt blue.   Here's to the wonderful old QE2.

10 hours ago, Oahucruiser said:

That is hilarious after all these years.  I still have a photo of the ladies in cobalt blue.   Here's to the wonderful old QE2.

My brother and I had signed up for the 2023 QM2 world cruise but moved it to 2024 due to all the restrictions for 2023. Really looking forward to 123 days of Cunard rest and fine service.

• Like 2

Day 8, Friday, July 8, 2022, Disembark and home

I was up very early and on Deck 13 by 4:45 as the lights of the Verrazano Bridge were ahead of us on a still dark morning.  I moved back near the stairs down to deck 12 as we got close to the bridge, watched the mast seemingly barely clear the bridge (It’s actually about 4 meters), then as I passed underneath and finally the funnel.  

bridge0708.jpg

We continued up the estuary and came alongside the berth a little before 7 with the Statue of Liberty off our starboard bow.  

libertyb.jpg

With my transfer booked I had a calloff time of 8:20AM.  At the moment disembarkation seems to be on autopilot with everybody given a time and there are no announcements of either delays, so we leave at our time and hope the terminal is not backed up.  While my daypack is down to about 20 pounds at my age it still feels like a burden and I chose to go to the promenade deck and walk outside (no mask needed) to the stairs where the gangway was located.  After hanging out a bit outside the stairway B doors I started down about 8:05.  It was probably 8:10 when the crew checked my tag number and I was cleared to disembark.  The trip down to the luggage claim was fairly long but moved right along.  It was easy to locate my big bag but I saw no sign of either luggage carts or porters in Red Hook so the walk to the immigration was quick.  The agent needed to see my passport but then I was waved on for the last trudge out to the street where the Luggage Forward rep was a very welcome sight.  From then on to the coach which I boarded a little before 8:30.  It was about 9 when we left the terminal but I was comfortably seated.

I think in the past Penn Station has always been the first stop on the station transfer but not this time.  We hit Grand Central station first, then the Port Authority Bus Terminal, and finally the new Amtrak Station.  I think the order may have been reversed since the new station is on the other side of 8th Avenue and the bus must take several extra turns to get into position.  We arrived just before 10 but I had plenty of time.

The old Penn Station, under Madison Square Garden, now only serves NJ Transit while Amtrak and Long Island Railroad are now in the Moynihan Train Hall, the building that used to be the main post office.

moynihan.jpg

I was booked on Acela First Class, the best of the services in the Northeast Corridor, and as such I am entitled to their First Class lounge.  Formerly Club Acela, the new space has reverted to the traditional name of Metropolitan Lounge.  It is a lovely space with snacks and especially luggage storage facilities.  

metropolitan.jpg

Once my bag was stowed I went for a little walk around Moynihan’s Food Hall and then across at Penn Station which was still quite familiar but looking kind of ragged with a completely different set of vendors.

While waiting for my train I did get several snacks and coffee at the Metropolitan Lounge and generally relaxed.  The first boarding call for my train came about 1:50.  Boarding was quick and easy and the First Class car was the one closest to the escalators.  I was quickly in my seat and thinking I was home free.  Not quite.  The car steward came around and asked how far I was going.  BWI Airport Rail Station.  “We don’t stop there” There had been a schedule change since I booked my ticket and I was never notified.  When he came by the Conductor confirmed that although my ticket was to BWI Airport the train would not be stopping there.  I would need to get off instead in downtown Baltimore.

About 45 minutes into the trip lunch was served, Lamb Tagine with chocolate pudding for desert.  

lunch08.jpg

The train ran essentially on time until I was dropped off in Baltimore.  I started with the ticket counter and she sent me to another desk which seemed to be a control area.  He looked at my ticket and told me to get on the next local train and if there was any question show them my ticket with BWI airport as the destination.  It was about a 25 minute wait at Baltimore Penn Station.  

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2022/07/baltimore.jpg

I don’t think the short 12-minute ride between downtown and the airport allows time for the conductor to do a full ticket check and I was dropped off at the airport about 5:15 and was home about 6.  With the later than planned arrival I had driven straight home without my originally planned stop for groceries.

Saturday morning brought light rain with a very busy schedule, voting, a grocery run, a walk in our mall and breakfast but most of the essentials are now done.  According to the tracking my Luggage Forward bag is in Maryland and should be delivered Monday.

My parting shot is especially for my Maryland readers.  Early voting for the primary election started Friday and the official election day is July 19.  Vote early, vote July 19 or vote by mail but vote!

Roy

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

It was about a 25 minute wait at Baltimore Penn Station.  

Baltimore is my home town, and I remember that station well.  You could take the train to NYC for $17 round trip in those days, and Thursday was Ladies' Day, when the tickets were half price.  The dining car had white tablecloths and that really heavy silver-plate, and I seem to recall delicious waffles.  Hoo boy, are those days long gone!  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

My brother and I had signed up for the 2023 QM2 world cruise but moved it to 2024 due to all the restrictions for 2023. Really looking forward to 123 days of Cunard rest and fine service.

We took 4 world cruises on the QE and QV and loved the ships, the people and the places.  Just made it home after the last one and my husband passed away from a stroke.  I'm so grateful for all that we saw and did.  Don't put off your dreams if you are able to do them now.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, 57eric said:

"I saw no sign of either luggage carts or porters in Red Hook."  Yikes!  Any other reports on this topic?

I have a happier report.  When we disembarked on July 1 at around 10:15 AM, there were a number of porters around.  We flagged one down and it may have been the best tip money I have ever spent.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, tv24 said:

I have a happier report.  When we disembarked on July 1 at around 10:15 AM, there were a number of porters around.  We flagged one down and it may have been the best tip money I have ever spent.

Great, thanks!