The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday July 2nd, 2022

richwmn

35 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

Quite a few years ago, we stayed at the KOA near Devil's Tower. They showed "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" out on the lawn on a very large screen. The best part was when the electrical storm was taking place on the screen a real lightning storm was flashing all around us. I don't think anyone's eyes were focused on the screen the rest of the night.

That was pretty cool.

I also visited Devil's Tower in Wyoming when I was stationed with the Air Force in South Dakota in 1966 and of course a visit to Mount Rushmore and the Badlands not to mention Wall Drug Store.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, GTVCRUISER said:

Cruising on the Carnival Panorama today 🙂 7 days Mexico cruise 🙂 

panoramashiplongbeachpier.JPG

Bon Voyage @GTVCRUISER!

31 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

Yesterday, two weeks after his horrific mowing accident, my DH's nephew Curt was moved to a highly regarded rehab facility. No prognosis or timeline known but this is a positive first step on a long road…

While I catch up with the Daily family, know I'm sending my 🙏prayers🙏 for your needs and shouting 🎉hurrahs🎉 for your joys.

-Melisa

Melisa, good news about Curt.  I hope he makes an amazing recovery.

25 minutes ago, Rowsby said:
I have had many trips to Hawaii....and two of them were cruises....

And...I have never once passed an opportunity of going to Duke's and enjoying Korean BBQ tacos....:)

Sue and Xoe at Duke's in Waikiki 9-22-17.jpg

YUM!  Almost lunch time and that looks good!

• Like 22

Belated Happy Canada Day, early Happy Independence Day!

Sadly, "I forgot" is my mantra.  Sigh.

We didn't get hit by an appliance gremlin, but by a full blown system devil.  The air conditioner in the main area of the house has decided that Oklahoma heat is too much, and died.  The furnace is fine, but because the a/c coil is under it, and must also be replaced, we are getting a new furnace as well.  It's 20 (how did that happen?!), and has to be physically removed for the a/c work, so what the heck, let's replace the furnace too since we're already paying for the labor.  Grumble.  We are assured the new system will be ever so much more efficient.  As far as I'm concerned, it should do a heck of a lot more than heat and cool for the amount of money and trouble!  Rant over.

We've been to Honolulu, but not by cruise.  Thanks everyone who posted their beautiful pictures.

Bon Voyage for those headed for and already on cruises!  It's time to make payment on our October one.

Everyone take care!

• Like 26

5 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning from Montreal.  Thanks for the daily fleet report.  It's a beautiful day, nothing is planned.  We may walk around town for a bit.   I'll pass on the meal suggestion and have no idea what's on the menu for tonight.  I hope that everyone has a good day today. 

20220702_064521.thumb.jpg.f89bbde63c67ed09c332b77bd32c02e1.jpg

After last night's show we saw a double rainbow. 20220701_202206.thumb.jpg.fe9526746ca7967feb25b57bdb0d5a84.jpg

Great picture of a beautiful rainbow.

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning,  it’s not often I make it to page 1 , I’ll type fast.   Today is my day!   We got half way to the Airport and realized I wasn’t wearing my glasses!  We had to turn around and go back to get them.   That should teach me not to leave the house without having had my coffee.  Anyway, we made it and our flight crew just walked by, so I guess the flight to Montreal will be going.  

Not page 1, I didn’t type fast enough!  

We keep on getting emails from HAL telling us to complete our checking with a US address , and we don’t have a US address,we are going straight from the ship to the airport after the cruise.  They know that!  On the Navigator check in,  it doesn’t even ask fora US address.  Crazy…

Ann, glad you remembered your glasses while you had time to go back and get them.  I've gotten to where I keep a pair in my purse and pack two extras in the carry on, but then, mine are just reading glasses not prescription.  Good news the flight crew is there and it looks like the flight is a go.

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

On board first flight and bags are too!

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Great news both of your and your bags are on the plane.  Hope the flight is smooth and you have a great time at the beach with family.

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I Forget Day is becoming more frequent around here - as evidenced by the amount of notes left lying around.  I believe in UFO's and would like to see one; DH is a skeptic and said he'll believe in them when he gets to kick the tires and check the oil on one.  I'm all for special recreation for the disabled - they are left out of so many fun activities.  

A little late to the party this morning - I'm not used to getting up at 4AM to a 7 year old sneezing in his sleep (apparently a regular thing, who knew!?) and then gettting up to cover him up again.  There's a reason why people have their children when they're young.  After getting up and finally falling back to sleep, we woke up at 7:45 - which is almost 2 hours later than when I normally open my eyes.

We had a great Canada Day at our house - long walk in the park nearby, followed by a kids water fight with the hoses (Grandpa hooked up a Y connection so there could be 2 of them from the same faucet), resulting in tons of laughter and 2 little drowned rats.   There was no way anyone was going to be able to be up to watch fireworks, so we were all in bed by 10:30 and apparently missed an amazing display of northern lights!  Darn.

@Sharon in AZcongratulations on Craig's retirement; it really is the best job ever!

@dobiemomprayers for your friend's DH - that's frightening!

@aliaschiefsafe travels!

@marshhawksorry your DH didn't get the result he was hoping for - I hope getting a pill minder will help him manage his medications properly.

Not sure what's on the agenda today, that will be determined once the household is up, but I'm sure it will be fun.  I like today's menu suggestion, but it seems more like a brunch idea rather than an evening meal, but you never know.  There was a request made by a certain 7 year old for tacos tonight, so I'll be getting all the ingredients put together this afternoon for a make your own taco bar.  It'll be tacos and laughter on the deck for dinner tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra for the people of Ukraine who are remaining so brave.  We'll raise the glasses tonight to salute all on the celebration list.  Stay safe, get your boosters, wear masks when needed, and be well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Sounds like everyone is having a great weekend.

1 hour ago, HAL Sailer said:

We've been away the past two days for the funeral of a friend of 60+ years, so I haven't caught up with your news, any news, or, in fact, anything! Lately, I feel like my existence has become the proverbial "...a day late" (but, thankfully, not "...the dollar short" part yet).

I do have some uplifting news to share:

Yesterday, two weeks after his horrific mowing accident, my DH's nephew Curt was moved to a highly regarded rehab facility. No prognosis or timeline known but this is a positive first step on a long road…

While I catch up with the Daily family, know I'm sending my 🙏prayers🙏 for your needs and shouting 🎉hurrahs🎉 for your joys.

-Melisa

Melisa, that is really good news that Curt was moved to rehab.  I hope they can help him improve and can make the long recovery easier.  Our condolences on the loss of your friend of 60+ years. 

12 minutes ago, Live4cruises said:

Belated Happy Canada Day, early Happy Independence Day!

Sadly, "I forgot" is my mantra.  Sigh.

We didn't get hit by an appliance gremlin, but by a full blown system devil.  The air conditioner in the main area of the house has decided that Oklahoma heat is too much, and died.  The furnace is fine, but because the a/c coil is under it, and must also be replaced, we are getting a new furnace as well.  It's 20 (how did that happen?!), and has to be physically removed for the a/c work, so what the heck, let's replace the furnace too since we're already paying for the labor.  Grumble.  We are assured the new system will be ever so much more efficient.  As far as I'm concerned, it should do a heck of a lot more than heat and cool for the amount of money and trouble!  Rant over.

We've been to Honolulu, but not by cruise.  Thanks everyone who posted their beautiful pictures.

Bon Voyage for those headed for and already on cruises!  It's time to make payment on our October one.

Everyone take care!

In the long run replacing everything at once is probably the wise decision.  Sorry this happened in the middle of a very hot summer.  We replaced our a/c and heat pump about four years ago, and we lucked out that it was a cool May and we did not need the a/c between the time it went out and they time they got the new one installed.

1 hour ago, GTVCRUISER said:

Cruising on the Carnival Panorama today 🙂 7 days Mexico cruise 🙂 

panoramashiplongbeachpier.JPG

BON VOYAGE!  Have a great cruise.

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Awesome photos Lenda.

Fabulous view from your hotel room too.

Graham.

Graham, thanks for your nice comments.  We were lucky to get that room.  By the time we got to the hotel, all the rooms in our category were occupied.  The clerk said that if we didn't mind being in a building that was being renovated, he would up grade our room.  The room was large and we were never bothered by the work or workers.

Lenda

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from the fairly cool Pacific NW.  I enjoyed all the pictures of Honolulu and Oahu.  We have a family history of their as my DM was born on Maui, but spent her 12 years of school in Honolulu at an Episcopal boarding school, St. Andrew's Priory.  And we lived on a Navy base at Wahiawa, which is in the middle of the island from 1976-1979.  Of course we have also stopped there a few times on cruises.  There are a lot of neat places you can walk to from the cruise terminal, including the Ala Moana shopping center.  There is a bus terminal there and you can catch a bus to go all the way around the island if you don't want to rent a car.  Don't remember the cost, but remember that there were inexpensive senior fares.

Ray

• Like 27

1 hour ago, HAL Sailer said:

We've been away the past two days for the funeral of a friend of 60+ years, so I haven't caught up with your news, any news, or, in fact, anything! Lately, I feel like my existence has become the proverbial "...a day late" (but, thankfully, not "...the dollar short" part yet).

I do have some uplifting news to share:

-Melisa

Good news about Curt. What a terrible accident that was.

Susan

• Like 16

Today’s care list:

Melinda with stage 4 cancer
Sam recovering at home from Covid complications
StPeteCruiser recovering from Appendicitis
Covid in Durango shelter staff
Heartgrove brother about to be discharged with extremely poor prognosis
From the rotation:
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Bennybear DH with melanoma
Strength and healing for Kazu
StLouisSal with weakening legs and covid

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Lindaler successfully resettled
Seasick Sailer friend Ron recovering from successful gall bladder surgery
Tioga Cruiser enjoying Grand Canyon
Good dental checkup for kochleffel
Ann and Pat headed to Newfoundland
1Angelcat’s kindly vet
Sharon DH now retired
Volendam caring for refugees
Bon Voyage ski ww (Oosterdam July 2 to 16)
7 days for Cat in My Lap  (Zaandam 7/9 to 8/13)
1 day for Mister Boston (Celebrity Summit July 3 to 10)
rafinmd  (QM2 to July  8), Nickelpenny (Westerdam to 7/3) ,  jimgev (Noordam to 7/3 plus land trip),  Norseh2o  (Insignia to 7/4) and Crazy for Cats (Zaandam to 7/9) at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

I'll pass on the meal suggestion.  My alternative is beef consume, roast turkey breast, and apple strudel as served on Queen Mary 2, July 1, 2022.

dishes01.jpg

Roy

• Like 20
  • Thanks 11

27 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Good morning from the fairly cool Pacific NW.  I enjoyed all the pictures of Honolulu and Oahu.  We have a family history of their as my DM was born on Maui, but spent her 12 years of school in Honolulu at an Episcopal boarding school, St. Andrew's Priory.  And we lived on a Navy base at Wahiawa, which is in the middle of the island from 1976-1979.  Of course we have also stopped there a few times on cruises.  There are a lot of neat places you can walk to from the cruise terminal, including the Ala Moana shopping center.  There is a bus terminal there and you can catch a bus to go all the way around the island if you don't want to rent a car.  Don't remember the cost, but remember that there were inexpensive senior fares.

Ray

Ray, I just checked the fare for Th Bus in Honolulu.  The senior fair with a Medicare card is $1/ride or $2/day pass.  For those non-seniors among us the fares are $2/ride or $5.50/day.  Either way, that is a bargain, and on the days we don't rent cars, we/ve used The Bus.

Lenda

• Like 15
  • Thanks 7

17 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

Good news about Curt. What a terrible accident that was.

Susan

Susan, I have a question about animal shelters that you might be able to answer.  We have some very old, but still useable towels of various sizes that I hate to throw away, but the thrift store probably wouldn't want.  Is it possible an animal shelter could use the towels for drying cats (?) and dogs after their bath?

Lenda

• Like 17

13 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Susan, I have a question about animal shelters that you might be able to answer.  We have some very old, but still useable towels of various sizes that I hate to throw away, but the thrift store probably wouldn't want.  Is it possible an animal shelter could use the towels for drying cats (?) and dogs after their bath?

Lenda

Lenda,

Not Susan, but our local shelter gladly took two 33 gallon trash bags full of towels, beach towels, etc. from us in 2020 (lockdown linen closets clean out 😁).  They even said they were taking sheets.

Kay

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

On our recent visit to Honolulu we had the honor of being invited to tour Pearl Harbor on the Commander Of The Pacific Fleet, Admiral’s Barge. We have toured before but this invite covered areas not seen by the general public. As we got to encircle entirely around Ford Island.

The ship remains in the picture are of the USS Utah where 53 men are permanently entombed and the ashes of a three year old girl. One of the sailors twin daughters had died and he was going to spread her remains at sea. Unfortunately he never got the chance.

Our flight to Seattle is still showing on time and feeling confident we are really going to get their on schedule.
image.thumb.jpeg.8ccaa3470a113cad759e4598570d2e29.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2a6de0b3d26994823b6c0b810421a164.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e3426d078eb584199f5bb7bc88ee499e.jpeg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 6

Thanks Rich for the daily forum. And good afternoon to all my dailyite family.  Hawaii brings back tons of memories. Some bittersweet as those I traveled with are not here now. I worked too hard yesterday trying to rescue my back lawn from 6 feet tall growth.  Today I pay the price.  Why can't I remember I have all the time in the world and it doesn't have to be done in a day. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Are there any Elks Club members here?

In my working days I would make one or two trips to Hawaii--mostly, to Honolulu.  The local sales rep, Charles, was always a more than gracious host taking me to some very interesting local hangouts.  On one trip he told me that he'd joined the Elks Clab and asked if I would like to visit.  It was terrific, enjoying pupus and cocktails..  The club definitely had a mid 20th century vibe.  It was almost like being in a time machine.

After retirement, we scheduled a cruise to Hawaii.  I contacted Charles and asked if we could get together on our Honolulu stop.  Charles arranged for the two local field engineers, Danny and Stacy--two of the very best people I have ever met--to join us for a dim sum lunch in China Town.  After lunch, Charles took Mrs. XBGuy and I to the Elks Club.

The XBGuys at the Elks Club

IMG_0353.thumb.jpg.39461901d4dad2001f37354e4d293563.jpg

and outside on the deck

IMG_0355.thumb.jpg.3c617fb50a08995c2582d02d342d66d2.jpg

Over the course several years of visiting Hawaii, I did accumulate a nice collection of business-appropriate Aloha shirts.  Now, my best opportunity to wear them is on cruises.

My understanding is that the Waikiki Elks Club had plans for some major enhancements.  I hope it retained the charm that I enjoyed.

Anyway, if anybody is a Elk, and has a visit planned to Honolulu, you should consider dropping by

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, kb4683 said:

Lenda,

Not Susan, but our local shelter gladly took two 33 gallon trash bags full of towels, beach towels, etc. from us in 2020 (lockdown linen closets clean out 😁).  They even said they were taking sheets.

Kay

Thanks for the answer.  I hadn't thought about sheets, but we just replaced ours, so I have two sets.

Lenda

• Like 17

Update: His pancreas is fine for now as he responded well to antibiotics. Has to see urologist for kidney stone. May be released after that. 🤞

My GF thanks everyone for their prayers. 🥰

• Like 23
  • Thanks 5

@Sharon in AZ The best advice my sister gave me when we retired was saying I'd shop and cook dinner but DH was responsible for his own breakfast and lunch. Works quite well!

@StLouisCruisersSuch a cute puppy!  You mentioned when you were on Island Princess that you were able to secure the same table for the same night for the length of the cruise (other than the rather rude interruption of isolation ☹️). How did you do that? We'll be on the Island in Nov. and don't want to play the musical chairs game. Thanks.

@marshhawkWe have the AUVON pill holder from Amazon. I love how it closes securely and doesn't come open in the suitcase.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily/Fleet report.

Trying not to forget anything today. Haven't seen any UFO's. Recreation for the disabled is so important.

Interesting quote. I like the meal and drink. Pass on the wine (too $$$).

I was in Honolulu on a Princess Cruise in 2012 and a land trip in 1992.

There was thunder and lightning late last night, but not much rain. It will be hot today. I didn't fall asleep until about 3AM. When the AC was on I was cold and pulled the blanket up; then when it cycled off, I was too hot! 

Well, one step forward, two back. The new leg wrapping was again uncomfortable yesterday, but it ok today, and comes off tomorrow! I woke up with my left eye feeling scratchy; now can't stand any light without pain, so sunglasses are on inside. I dared to look outside, and oh the pain! Hourly drops going in.

@Sharon in AZ Congrats to Craig on his retirement!

@StLouisCruisers I hope you feel less fatigued each day. Wishing a great cruise for DD and Missy. Great dog pictures. Ashley is beautiful.

@dfish As I was reading your post, my power went off! Just momentarily though. Not sure what the cause was as it's bright and sunny out.

@marshhawk Sorry to hear of DH's issues. The pill box that can be filled to help keep track of his meds would help; there are ones with two, three and four times a day compartments. I hope he will get out and move more.

@Seasick Sailor That fawn is precious.

@dobiemom Prayers for your GF's DH that a treatment plan gets him on the road to recovery.

@Vict0riann Glad you made it in time!

@GTVCRUISER Have a wonderful cruise!

@HAL Sailer Condolences on the loss of your friend. Great news that Curt was moved to rehab; may his recovery continue.

@Live4cruises Oh my on the whole new HVAC system!

@rafinmd Thanks for the lists while you're on your cruise.

@aliaschief I'm glad you made it on board as scheduled.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

Diamond Head Crater from Waikiki Beach, 1992.

401327351_002-10.1992-DiamondHeadCraterfromWaikikiBeach.thumb.jpg.177e3d483cd279effccb911d6902598a.jpg

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 2

@Sharon in AZ and @AncientWanderer

Hello Sharon and Maxine. I went back to yesterdays post and saw that both of you were asking about my Iron Rx. If is Ferrocite 324 MG Tab, generic for Ferrous Fumarate. I had to take it daily for 6 months, then some blood level go to high so for 6 months I only took it once a week and that level dropped to much to now I am on twice a week. Prior to finding this Iron Rx. I had to have iron infusions once a week for 6 weeks repeated every 6 months. My Dr. is a Hematologist at M.D, Anderson Cancer Hospital. No, I have never had cancer but apparently cancer hospitals are the only place where hematologists practice.

Jane

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

What an exercise in frustration.   I have been on the phone talking to a computer from United Airlines for an hour.  They changed our flights home from Amsterdam, but didn't reissue the tickets.  They claim Flight Ease has to do it, Flight Ease says they should have when they changed the flights.  We were already paid and ticketed when United changed the flights.   Then I had a question about baggage.  We purchased Business Class tickets but they are only allowing us the Economy baggage allowance.  So, the guy who couldn't figure out our tickets pushed me over to the baggage department.  The baggage department says the information on the website is incorrect and I should get 2 free checked bags.  He sent me back to reservations who will probably send me back to baggage.  I might have better luck at the airport.  Or maybe not.  I may end up living in the Amsterdam airport because between Flight Ease and United they can't figure out who is supposed to issue tickets.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

@Sharon in AZ

@StLouisCruisersSuch a cute puppy!  You mentioned when you were on Island Princess that you were able to secure the same table for the same night for the length of the cruise (other than the rather rude interruption of isolation ☹️). How did you do that? We'll be on the Island in Nov. and don't want to play the musical chairs game. Thanks.

Susie, on the first night there were long lines at the door to deck 5 restaurant Bordeaux, even though we had a set time to show up.  They put us at a table for 2 but it was adjacent to a main walkway so constant traffic rushing by us.  That wasn't comfortable for us at all.  So we spotted a table very near there that was off the beaten track, table for 2, up against a wall and not another table for 2 near it.  We talked to the people at the podium and asked about having that particular table and they said fine, we could have it at 8 pm next night and all following nights.  But when we went there the next night at 8 the people seated there weren't finished yet.  We had a stern talk with VJ at the podium and we all agreed on a different time.  We would have the table at 7:20 pm from then on, and we would be the second seating at that table each night.  It worked out fine!  There was also a great "white coat" section manager Hamit who was so good to us!  While we were in quarantine they were aware and probably would seat someone in our place at 7:20 while we weren't coming to dinner each night.  But they had it waiting for me when I got out of Covid jail.  Hamit would do special things for us if we asked.  One night I asked for a Greek Salad and he produced a beautiful salad in 10 minutes.  DH had ordered one from room service (Covid jail) that night and suggested it.  Mine was even better than his was!  He also prepared penne arrabiatta for the two of us one night when we lamented the fact Princess no longer has that specially prepared in the dining room once during a cruise.  We couldn't have asked for better care in the MDR and loved our waiter and asst. waiter.  I hope you can arrange something like we did.  You just have to ask about it and be a little flexible on the time.  However, we would rate the food as average this cruise.  Once in a while something would stand out, but not the majority of the time.  For instance, most soups were pretty tasteless, but one night we had minestrone soup and it was extremely flavorful.  I made sure I let them know it was very good.  DH also liked the seafood bisque.  

4 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

@StLouisCruisers I hope you feel less fatigued each day. Wishing a great cruise for DD and Missy. Great dog pictures. Ashley is beautiful.

@dfish As I was reading your post, my power went off! Just momentarily though. Not sure what the cause was as it's bright and sunny out.

@marshhawk Sorry to hear of DH's issues. The pill box that can be filled to help keep track of his meds would help; there are ones with two, three and four times a day compartments. I hope he will get out and move more.

@Seasick Sailor That fawn is precious.

@dobiemom Prayers for your GF's DH that a treatment plan gets him on the road to recovery.

@Vict0riann Glad you made it in time!

@GTVCRUISER Have a wonderful cruise!

@HAL Sailer Condolences on the loss of your friend. Great news that Curt was moved to rehab; may his recovery continue.

@Live4cruises Oh my on the whole new HVAC system!

@rafinmd Thanks for the lists while you're on your cruise.

@aliaschief I'm glad you made it on board as scheduled.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

Thank you Vanessa!  I am feeling pretty well back to normal, though the pain in my leg behind my knee has still been bothering me.  I woke up several times last night with it, and had to get up and walk around the house for a few minutes to ease it.  And my cough is worse now that I'm home again.  Sure wish I knew what that's all about.  Covid sure didn't help with that chronic cough I was complaining about beforehand!

Thank you also for your comment about Ashley.  She is a sweet, loving young lady and a true blessing.😇

• Like 17

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Lenda

I would think so. Our shelter goes through many towels for various reasons.

Susan

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1