Meal times

kjbacon

45 minutes ago, kjbacon said:

We see on the website that dinner starts at 7pm and as early risers, that’s late for us. What time is breakfast and lunch served? Thank you.

Have a lie in and then dinner at 7.00pm won't seem so late. 

There were lovely little sandwiches at Seabourn Square that we paired with some fruit & cheese to tide us over to the later dinner times.  Our body clocks took almost a week to adapt, making a two week cruise much too short!

Until someone chips in with actual hours - I know that breakfast starts fairly early  - probably 7.30, and you can before that go to the Square from about 6.15 for coffee and something to eat, or have room service breakfast. Lunch does start at noon, and  there is afternoon tea to keep you going if needed until dinner time.

Most European passengers are used to having the evening meal actually later than 7 - if you are Spanish more like 9.30 or 10!  So the hours do not seem strange to us.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

Early risers coffee in the Observation lounge.

And not only coffee , but tea--and all manner of pastries.  I'm an early riser and sometimes go there.  Usually, there are very few people and quite a bit of pampering by the crew on duty there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/2/2022 at 7:04 AM, kjbacon said:

We see on the website that dinner starts at 7pm and as early risers, that’s late for us. What time is breakfast and lunch served? Thank you.

I will try to do this from an ole memory.  Dinner is open seating in the Restaurant from 7pm - 9pm.  Earth, wind and fire (which is outdoors near the pool) is also from 7-9.  The Collonade is also another dinner option (you might need a reservation if it is a special Thomas Keller night) from 7-9.   The Thomas Keller Grill (reservations only) is generally open from 6:30 - 9.   The breakfast hours can vary (depending on port times) but in the Collonade it is usually 8-10.  There is a healthy breakfast on deck and I think that starts about 8.  The Restaurant is also opened for an hour at breakfast and I believe it was usually 8-9.   Lunch in the Collonade is normally from 12-2.  If the Restaurant is open it is often for only an hour such as 12-1.  

We have often had a laugh with some other SB cruisers during cocktail time talking about dinner hours and wondering how HAL cruisers (and those on some other lines) can possibly cope with dinner that does not even start until 7pm.  On the other hand, for Spanish passengers having dinner end by 9pm is also a big problem (in Spain many good restaurants do not even open until 9)

SB usually has only a single evening show (we are talking the main show) at 9:30.  The normal routine for many folks is to have dinner around 7:30, head to the show at 9:30, and than perhaps spend some time in one of the bars (with live entertainment) after the show.  As to evening cocktail times, many of us head to one of bars (at least 2 have live entertainment) around 6.  In fact the Observation Bar opens its evening snack spread at 6.

I guess some of my HAL friends could simply go to tea at 4pm and consider that part of their dinner.  They would be able to order room service for more stuff and perhaps eat in their cabin at 5 and go to sleep by 6 :).

Hank

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, markham said:

Yeah, and also unlike HAL and its more lively mass market peer Princess, there are no omelette stations in the Colonnade (note spelling).

Just sayin’.

Happy and healthy sailing!

I really missed my omelettes! I found a new favorite breakfast on The Patio; breakfast tangines. There was a daily special or you could special order one.  The Patio also had an open faced breakfast sandwich.  I forgot about my omelette after a few days…😀

Edited by Asquare
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, kjbacon said:

Is there a way to get coffee before 6:15? We are up by 5am so will we have a coffee pot in our suite, a self serve machine somewhere, or early room service?

Just call room service.  That’s what they are there for.  As others have also mentioned, Penthouse suites and above have Nespresso machines. 

11 minutes ago, Asquare said:

I really missed my omelettes! I found a new favorite breakfast on The Patio; breakfast tangines. There was a daily special or you could special order one.  The Patio also had an open faced breakfast sandwich.  I forgot about my omelette after a few days…😀

You can order an omelette from your server in The Colonnade. The galley will make it to order for you, your choice of fillings.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, markham said:

Yeah, and also unlike HAL and its more lively mass market peer Princess, there are no omelette stations in the Colonnade (note spelling).

Just sayin’.

Tis true,  If you want an omelet in the Colonade (or the Restaurant) you just simply tell the waiter what you want and it shall be made to order and delivered right to your table.   And your omelet can be made with real eggs...not some liquid gump out of a large carton.  But we have also had pretty decent omelets on both Princess and HAL which were made at the Omelet station.  Whether you can have them made with real eggs (as opposed to liquid gump from a large carton) is a real question on Princess and HAL and seems to vary depending on the ship/cruise.  The liquid gump (sold in containers that look like mild cartons) are a product of pasteurized eggs (often with some additives).  While I think this "gump" does taste similar to fresh eggs, the consistency of the final product (Omelets or scrambled eggs) seems to be lacking.

Hank

• Like 1

Since we're talking about food, perhaps someone (especially someone currently on Odyssey) can comment on the fact that it appears that Lobster Thermidor, which was on the TK Grill regular menu, has vanished.  In anticipation of my upcoming Odyssey cruise, I've been checking the Odyssey menus daily on the Seabourn Source app, and I believe that Lobster Thermidor was on the regular menu every day until ~ 2 weeks ago, and then poof. 

I wonder if this is permanent, if it has occurred across all Seabourn ships, and if I would be missing out on a great entree or not.

The catering to the European dinner schedule is an issue with us which is why we try to dine in the TK grill as often as possible  - they open at 6pm - the earliest dining option.  We aren’t huge fans of the Seabourn menus but the unavailability until 7pm for dining-room room-service is ridiculous.  Room service is very weak up until that point and may only be warm afterwards.  We are early risers and tea service in the Observation bar does not work for those who try to avoid crowds during Covid - it is a breeding ground for cooties.  We cruise Seabourn for reasons other than the food.

We were on Odyssey in late April and ate at in TK Grill many nights, lobster Thermidor was on the menu every night.  We will be back on in 3 weeks for an Alaskan cruise - we can update then. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LMB01 said:

The catering to the European dinner schedule is an issue with us which is why we try to dine in the TK grill as often as possible  - they open at 6pm - the earliest dining option.  We aren’t huge fans of the Seabourn menus but the unavailability until 7pm for dining-room room-service is ridiculous.  Room service is very weak up until that point and may only be warm afterwards.  We are early risers and tea service in the Observation bar does not work for those who try to avoid crowds during Covid - it is a breeding ground for cooties.  We cruise Seabourn for reasons other than the food.

We were on Odyssey in late April and ate at in TK Grill many nights, lobster Thermidor was on the menu every night.  We will be back on in 3 weeks for an Alaskan cruise - we can update then. 

Most people do not consider 7pm to be a late dinner hour.  So, I don't see SB as catering to a European dinner schedule.  If you don't want to go to tea, you can pick up a snack at Seabourn Square--or order a snack for your suite.  There is always caviar as well.  It does sound like going on a cruise is a difficult thing for you right now--if you truly want to avoid groups of people.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, LMB01 said:

the European dinner schedule

The European dinner schedule is usually more like 8.30-9pm or later. 

I'm usually awake between 5.30-6am and I don't eat dinner until around 7.30-8pm and I'm not European. 

• Like 1

Dinner for me is mostly 8.30pm on a ship.

If we are meeting others then dinner might be 7.30-7.45

South American guests tend to arrive much later in the dining room and I have seen some try to stretch it out to 9.30 before they arrive.

Edited by Mr Luxury
  • Like 1

Are we really stressing over this?

I would like to think that the overwhelming number of Seabourn passengers can delay chow time until 7 pm. You know, have a calming bath or shower, then enjoy a drink or two, and find someone to chat up somewhere such as the Obs Bar, the Club and the TK Grill on Encore/Ovation. If you are uncontrollably and/or uncomfortably peckish you can easily grab some munchies or a nosh nearby, no problemo. For goodness sake.

PS- Mr Luxury, you would know the answer to this: does Cunard still lay on Children’s Tea at 5:45 pm with fish sticks, mini burgers and pizzas, spag bol and crinkly chips? Under supervision, of course.

Edited by markham
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Aren't holidays for shaking things up a bit and not sticking to home routines?  We eat much much earlier at home (my husband has a hobby certain nights of the week that starts at 7pm).  I'm still an early riser wherever I am though.  

Holidays are different, we like to make an occasion of our dining on SB.  Dressing up, cocktails in the OB, meeting new people, taking our time over a delicious meal.

We spend time in our other home in Spain, in summer a lot of the restaurants don't even open until 9pm, and we like to embrace the differences, that's what it's all about! 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, markham said:

PS- Mr Luxury, you would know the answer to this: does Cunard still lay on Children’s Tea at 5:45 pm with fish sticks, mini burgers and pizzas, spag bol and crinkly chips? Under supervision, of course.

Yes Markham,

It's in the Lido restaurant I believe.

Under parental supervision or a nanny as it's so stressful for parents.

I can't say that I have ever eaten in the Lido.

Crinkly chips whatever next? Garlic Bread 🧐

4 hours ago, frantic36 said:

The European dinner schedule is usually more like 8.30-9pm or later. 

I'm usually awake between 5.30-6am and I don't eat dinner until around 7.30-8pm and I'm not European. 

From this part of Australia dinner before 7.30pm is like a late lunch!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1