Medallion Holder Preference

Jagggg

I'm curious as to what type of medallion holder people prefer and the reasons why. Also can you just have the medallion in your wallet without a holder and would it work? Thank you.

A couple of fairly recent threads on this, will post link below.

As to your specific question. It is fairly thick as far as a wallet carry.

If you have an RFID blocking wallet, it will block the signal but the Medallion might also mess with the magnetic strip on your credit cards.

In your pocket will work. But if it comes in contact with certain coins, a Mexican Peso or Euro. They will attract and may interfere with the signal.

We just used the free provided lanyard.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2830805-best-ocean-medallion-holder/#comment-62642770

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

A couple of fairly recent threads on this, will post link below.

As to your specific question. It is fairly thick as far as a wallet carry.

If you have an RFID blocking wallet, it will block the signal but the Medallion might also mess with the magnetic strip on your credit cards.

In your pocket will work. But if it comes in contact with certain coins, a Mexican Peso or Euro. They will attract and may interfere with the signal.

We just used the free provided lanyard.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2830805-best-ocean-medallion-holder/#comment-62642770

Thank you for the link. I even did a search before asking question.

I went with the premium lanyard on mine, It is a lot wider than the free one and the holder allows you to also get a destination insert.  That being said, I will probably just go with the free lanyard for future cruises.

• Like 1

I splurged on the silver tone bracelet that Princess sells. I really liked not having something around my neck. Do advise to size up if getting though. My wrists are tiny and the small size wasn’t comfortable. Medium, even though it’s a bit loose like a bangle felt better.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jase0581 said:

I went with the premium lanyard on mine, It is a lot wider than the free one and the holder allows you to also get a destination insert.  That being said, I will probably just go with the free lanyard for future cruises.

What's a destination insert?

3 hours ago, candydane said:

What's a destination insert?

It is an insert that fits around the medallion in the premium holder.  It has a picture and name of the destination, for my cruise I had the Alaska insert.  It can be further personalized with your name.

I wear and Apple Watch and bought a holder that attaches to the watch band.  It was fantastic, no looking for it in my pocket, no forgetting it in my cabin.  I wear my watch 24/7 so I always knew it was with me and it was very convenient.  There are times when ordering drinks etc that the Medallion doesn’t work great so they will ask you to tap it, having it easily accessible made my life easier.  

• Like 3

We used the standard lanyard that is provided free with the medallion.  I noticed most pax used this also.  In the future I'll probably use a rhinestone lanyard I already have instead of the one Princess provides.  Just a personal choice ~ I like a little glitz!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Steelers0854 said:

I wear and Apple Watch and bought a holder that attaches to the watch band.  It was fantastic, no looking for it in my pocket, no forgetting it in my cabin.  I wear my watch 24/7 so I always knew it was with me and it was very convenient.  There are times when ordering drinks etc that the Medallion doesn’t work great so they will ask you to tap it, having it easily accessible made my life easier.  

Where did you get the Apple Watch adapter?  Was it from Princess or Amazon or ???

Thanks in advance 

1 hour ago, Colbs said:

Where did you get the Apple Watch adapter?  Was it from Princess or Amazon or ???

Thanks in advance 

https://www.amazon.com/Luke3DP-Adapter-Holding-Carnival-Medallion/dp/B07RC2B9BY?th=1

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion/medallion-accessories-customization/

Edited by Outerdog

The watch adapters only work if you have a watch band that "comes apart". My watches don't have bands that separate so it's not an option. I don't think it would really look very good on my watch bands anyway. I considered the Princess band but I don't want a watch and another band. I thought I'd probably get the Princess "clip" but it looked bulky and cheap - it's clear plastic like the freebie default holder. Keeping it in my pocket worked pretty well. The only minor hassle was when I had to hold the Medallion up against a reader to board or disembark or to check into my muster station. It was a bit awkward to hold it - mostly because my hands don't work as well as they used to.

Edit: I did have one other issue with keeping the Medallion in my pocket. We were cruising in Canada and I had a Toonie in my pocket. It ended up stuck (magnetically) inside the default Medallion holder. It was a perfect fit. When I tried to reboard the ship the Medallion didn't want to work properly. I finally just turned it around and pressed the other side to the reader and that's when I noticed that the "back of the Medallion" didn't look right. I'm not a fan of Loonies and Toonies as I don't like carrying coins but this was a new "inconvenience" of carrying the things. I showed it to my wife and she laughed at me. D'Oh!  (I got rid of the Toonie by giving it to a bartender.)

Edited by Thrak

We have always disliked lanyards, and I refuse to "buy" a necklace or bracelet to put the medallions in. I got a clip type holder from Amazon, search "EverAct Clip Holder". 

This way, it can go in a pocket or clipped on a belt loop. Very unobtrusive.

Edited by casandbliz

2 hours ago, Outerdog said:

That Amazon one is the one I used.  It was a little difficult to get on, but you only need to do it once then it stays on the whole trip obviously.  DW purchased a standalone bracelet to wear hers (on amazon) and she liked mine so much we bought one for her when we got back.  It’s clearly 3D printed, but we expected that and I don’t need it to look beautiful, its 100% secure I had no issues with potentially falling off or out.  

• Like 1

I have a Samsung smartwatch but just use the Princess watch band. Just have the watch on one wrist and the band and Medallion on the other. No problem for me.

I refuse to buy anything for that medallion.  The lanyard will work find if you use it that way.  That being said, the first time that we were on a medallion cruise, I lost my medallion at our very first port.  When I realized it, I called the ship and when we were approaching the ship, a Guest Service employees was approaching me with a new medallion and lanyard (since she had my picture, she knew who to look for.)  From then on, I kept the lanyard on me but kept it under my shirt so I wouldn't be immediately be identified as a "cruise-ship sucker."

• Like 2

My husband made us a couple of medallion holder that holds it to any blouse or shirt with a magnet. You can change out medallions at the beginning of a cruise. This was before they had the small plastic holder's which clip on the edge of a shirt which also work quite well. 

When I ordered the Medallion I also ordered the wrist band.  Did not like it, so went with the supplied lanyard.  I just dropped it down inside my shirt to keep it out of the way.  Did want to bend over  and have it drop into my soup or something.

Only time I pulled it out was at port to sign off the ship and then back on. My door read it, and so did bars so no problem having it inside the shirt. 

Bob

• Like 1