Enchantment or Ovation...

Hi,

Happy 4th July! 

We are looking into our first Alaskan cruise in 2023 and are debating between Ovation or Enchantment. Both have good itinerates which doesn't help make the decision any easier, I've only sailed the larger ships... Navigator being the smallest I've been on and the other person is a first time cruiser. 

I guess I'd like to know if anyone has sailed Enchantment lately and know whether it's in good condition/ what are the onboard activities like? 

TIA. 

Can't speak to Enchantment specifically, but I can say dropping down below Voyager class for the first time can be quite an experience. Not having a promenade makes the ship feel very different and a bit claustrophobic for me.

That said, we sailed Radiance in Alaska in 2018 and that's the one place I didn't really care b/c we were there to see Alaska, not the ship... whereas the ship is as important as anything to us when we sail the Caribbean.

3 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Can't speak to Enchantment specifically, but I can say dropping down below Voyager class for the first time can be quite an experience. Not having a promenade makes the ship feel very different and a bit claustrophobic for me.

That said, we sailed Radiance in Alaska in 2018 and that's the one place I didn't really care b/c we were there to see Alaska, not the ship... whereas the ship is as important as anything to us when we sail the Caribbean.

Thanks for your reply... I'm 100% with you on this in the fact this trip is for the place more than the ship. My previous cruises have been more about the ship. 

Would not base an Alaska Cruise by the ship, it's all about the itinerary and the glaciers.

Just looked at each ships itineraries, No doubt about it I would sail on Enchantment. Book the sailing that goes to Hubbard Glacier.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, EmilyJay said:

I guess I'd like to know if anyone has sailed Enchantment lately and know whether it's in good condition/ what are the onboard activities like? 

Nothing like Ovation - if price is close, go for Ovation.

• Like 2

Unsolicited additional advice… add as much land time if you can. Really long review of my 2018 trip when we did 10 days on land before Radiance if you’re interested.

Nothing against the ports but some of our bigger highlights came before the cruise.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Nothing like Ovation - if price is close, go for Ovation.

It's a given it's a better ship at this time. It was just built recently it should be nothing like Enchantment, if it was Royal is building the wrong kind of ships.

8 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

It's a given it's a better ship at this time. It was just built recently it should be nothing like Enchantment, if it was Royal is building the wrong kind of ships.

I should have been more specific - I was talking about activities the OP was asking about. Enchantment is in fine condition.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

If you need constant entertainment, pick Ovation. If you can entertain yourself and enjoy the Alaska scenery, pick Enchantment

Is it a vacation or a marathon? who needs constant anything on a cruise ship? second thought maybe booze for some?

2 minutes ago, pcur said:

Check the route. I will guess the Enchantment is inside passage, and Ovation is along the coast.

Inside = amazing scenery.  Outside= questionable rocky seas.

Yes, Enchantment is RT from Vancouver and Ovation is that silly route from Seattle out in the open sea.

• Like 1

We recently did Alaska last month on Enchantment. The ship is perfect for this itinerary with its abundance of windows and cozy spots for viewing the amazing scenery. Doing the inside passage was also a priority for us. I also appreciated the fact that a smaller ship is easier for disembarking, which means we got out and about quicker. The common spaces look great but our cabin definitely was looking like it needed a refresh. The entertainment was adequate, but honestly we were so busy and active every day, taking in all of Alaska’s beauty, that we usually went to bed pretty early! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LindaD22 said:

We recently did Alaska last month on Enchantment. The ship is perfect for this itinerary with its abundance of windows and cozy spots for viewing the amazing scenery. Doing the inside passage was also a priority for us. I also appreciated the fact that a smaller ship is easier for disembarking, which means we got out and about quicker. The common spaces look great but our cabin definitely was looking like it needed a refresh. The entertainment was adequate, but honestly we were so busy and active every day, taking in all of Alaska’s beauty, that we usually went to bed pretty early! 

Are you sure you were on the Enchantment?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, LindaD22 said:

Enchantment is currently sailing from Baltimore.  Doubt you did Alaska on it last month.

59 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Enchantment is currently sailing from Baltimore.  Doubt you did Alaska on it last month.

59 minutes ago, The Yorkshire Cruiser said:

Are you sure you were on the Enchantment?

oh gosh, I’m so sorry! This is what happens when you only get a few hours of sleep! We did indeed sail on the Radiance. I apologize! Everything else is relevant as far as size of the ship and preference for inside passage. I’m going to take a nap now lol! Thanks for the correction!

• Like 2

If you’re asking based on ship alone, I’d choose Ovation. 
Enchantment is an ancient rust bucket with very little to do besides sitting in the Centrum hoping something happens. 
image.thumb.jpeg.9dc71dea1f3f2d9e5875d37d991aca62.jpeg

Edited by HicksRA
  • Haha 1

Enchantment in 2023 is assuming some of Serende's double glacier itineraries that include Hubbard Glacier which I still find to be the premiere tide water glacier of Alaska and I have been to Glacier Bay.

Ovation sails from Seattle which can be significantly easier since you are not sailing from another country, paying significantly more to fly into Canada and dealing with Vancouver airport CBSA, the Canadian version of CBP.  Vancouver is more effort to cruise from but so much so that you should avoid Vancouver.   There is no question though that sailing from Seattle is easier for US residents.

I did Serenade's Vancouver double glacier itinerary in May this year followed by a Quantum cruise from Seattle.  Both were enjoyable as any Alaska cruise is an awesome experience in it's own way.

My first time on an Alaskan cruise I put a great deal of effort into the research.  Since it would be a one and done I fussed over everything and settled on a one way southbound cruise.    Then I got hooked on Alaska.  Six Alaska cruises later I look back on that "special" first cruise I fussed over so much and while it was special since it was my first time in Alaska, it wasn't so much better that the experience hasn't stopped me from booking more Alaskan cruises including several that are Seattle roundtrip cruises and Vancouver departures.

Book which ever one feels right and stopped overthinking it.  Every Alaska cruise is awesome in its own way.  There is no wrong way to cruise to Alaska.  You are going to Alaska to see Alaska, not the ship. 

Enjoy Alaska, it's pretty incredible every time.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, LindaD22 said:

oh gosh, I’m so sorry! This is what happens when you only get a few hours of sleep! We did indeed sail on the Radiance. I apologize! Everything else is relevant as far as size of the ship and preference for inside passage. I’m going to take a nap now lol! Thanks for the correction!

Funny as I thought I lost a whole year since Ench is doing 2023.

My first cruise to Alaska was on the Radiance and I loved all the glass and the fact that it was a smaller ship.  I also did Explorer in 2016(NO covered pools) and then Ovation in 2019 OMG great ship for Alaska.

I would say to OP do Enchantment so that perhaps the inside passage from Van BC can be experienced. And ships are easy to walk to form hotels near the port and ya can take the train from airport to port area too.

I would say to OP then go back again and do Ovation.  

Just got off Enchantment and really like the size of ship but it is looking a bit worn lately. 
we like the smaller ships but did Northern Europe on Navigator and loved that size ship too. Big enough to have a lot to do but not monstrous. 
Id go by itinerary honestly. I’ve only done Alaska on HAL (on a ship smaller than Enchantment) and Glacier Bay was absolutely breathtaking. Whatever you pick, spring for a balcony. It is worth it. We were so exhausted after the Alaska ports w hiking and kayaking that we didn’t do much on the ship anyway. I loved the inside passage and sailing from Vancouver. 

We just got off the Enchantment in June.  Yes, she is a bit rusty in spots noticed when standing on land looking up at the balcony ceilings.  She did drip water from the angled window in the spotlight lounge and I saw resulting warped floorboards.  We booked last minute interior room and found the furnishings the same as our 20-year-old memory.  Keep in mind she was sitting vacant for almost 2 years, rust happens.  Having said all that, I would sail Enchantment again in a heartbeat.  She has such a grand style/personality, I found beautiful details in so many areas even the public restrooms.  Windows are everywhere!  Easy to walk and get to venues.  I adored the Viking Crown Lounge; any seat will give you a great view. The solarium is covered which helps in cool weather.  Did I mention the yummy pizza on deck 9, pool deck?  I like to say, yes, she is old but very elegant.  I have not been on Quantum so I cannot truly compare.  Just my honest opinion, I hope this helps.

• Like 3