Traveling to Rome/Italy with carry on only

Lena11033

Hi,

Need some advice, with everything going on with airlines recently I'm debating on (hubby is really pushing for me to do this but think he underestimates my clothing lol ) doing a 10 day cruise with carry on clothing only - it's going to be a struggle as some items I have are for sure not going to be able to go in there due to size constraints.

Has anyone done this for Italy? (I'll be out of Canada for 3 weeks in total)

I'll need to pick up items from a pharmacy like sunscreen for the ship - I know there are load of pharmacies around but is bio-degradable easy enough to get a hold of?

Or should I just take the chance and take a suitcase for checked and if the worst happens then just plan on buying things then.

Thanks in advance

Easy to do, esp in the summer.  I always travel with a wheeled carryon and usually a small backpack.

( The backpack is primarily to use in port,  to carry water, light jacket/rain poncho, travelguide/map,

sunglasses, wallet, phone, camera, hat, etc.)

I take advantage of the laundry special mid cruise. For longer trips I'll make a late afternoon trip to a local laundramat,.  Hang out at a nearby cafe between cycles !

Summer clothes are lightweight and take up so little space.  Plus they're light colored which makes mix and match easier.  Do you think anyone notices (or cares) if you wear the same blue top on Monday AND Friday ?  

Ive had 2 family members with cancelled flights in June. One with 3 kids under 6!   No way would I travel with checked luggage, especially now.

• Like 2

Did a 15 day land trip, traveling by public transit, Rome-Venice-Florence-Cinque Terre, all with carry on only. Went very well...we always look back at this as a great trip, and are planning a similar trip next summer...AMS-Paris-London.

Cruise on the other hand is a bit more challenging with dress code requirements. I took one pair of long pants, and 3 short pants for the land trip. Not sure I could make my usual clothing selection for a cruise.

There is something about this topic, I find that when folks get comfortable with carry-on only travel they almost become evangelistic about it.  I feel like there is some secret I'm missing, because I've tried it and not been comfortable.  It always reminds me of my Stats 101 class in college, I was lost for the first few weeks, I just couldn't seem to get over some invisible hump, then suddenly I got it and it made sense.  I don't know what the invisible hump is for carry-on only travel, but I haven't gotten past it yet.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

Or should I just take the chance and take a suitcase for checked and if the worst happens then just plan on buying things then.

If it's not cold weather (even then it might be possible) you can do it if you don't need to dress for dinner on the ship. I've done my laundry in Italy, there were plenty of places to either do it myself or leave it to be done (reasonable!) so I could continue exploring or simply rest.

I won't check baggage anymore, I've done the heavy lifting bringing things I don't wear or use, or realize now it's not that important. Go with black pants and/or shorts/skirt, with two neutral tops, a light covering, your personal underclothes, socks, shoes, something to sleep in, you're good. Roll it all up to save space when packing, and agree with @mapleleaves, you can get away with the carry on plus small backpack as that would count as the "personal item" so you can stash other items in there too.

You won't need full sizes of anything, many things will be available on the cruise and/or locally. It's a much nicer way to travel, whenever possible. I don't miss having bruises (!!) and heaving bags up/down stairs, escalators, in/out of trains, taxis, etc. only challenge now is reaching the overhead bin, but there's almost always a taller person around to help and/or someone seated who doesn't want a bag dropped on their head 😉 .

Another thing is, some travel bags really do make a difference in the way they're designed inside to help with stowing things if you're not a great packer. Give it a try if you can, maybe first domestically before you try in Italy (if possible) but otherwise, be bold and do it. There's really nothing you can't get away if you need it, and you can always get a bag if you need it to go home. 

Good luck!

• Like 2

We are in "Euro Cruiser's" camp :).  DW and I have long envied those who have solved the problem of how to pack for a long trip in a carry-on.  We recently returned from a TA cruise followed by a 3 week driving trip in Europe and somehow managed to only use 2 checked bags (each weighing 49 pounds) plus 2 overstuffed, overweight, carry-on back packs.  Somehow we managed to get through the 7 week trip and only had some laundry done on the ship (we do not spend time doing our own wash on trips).

Our DD somehow manages to go to Italy on 5 day business trips with just a single carry-on (and she needs clothes for business meetings) and we shake our head in wonder.

Hank

On 7/4/2022 at 7:22 PM, Lena11033 said:

Sounds like a good idea!

The chance of your luggage getting lost is real, yes, but it minuscle.

There is no reason to restrict yourself in what you would like to bring. 

• Like 1

Try using packing cubes to organize your items and see if you can get them in the carry-on.  If not, check a bag and carry a small backpack. Put a packing cube in the backpack with essentials for 2 or 3 days. This is hoping that you have three days before you embark. 

• Like 1

I just flew back yesterday from Europe through Amsterdam. Although I had a longish layover (planned that way due to the chaotic conditions), my checked bag still did not make it on the plane....  Luckily I am at home and can do without until I get my bag. However it's worth knowing that while KLM flew my bag to my home airport today, they are so backed up that unless I want to go to the airport and pick it up myself, it will be three days before they can get around to delivering it. (And while waiting to report the missing bag last night, I saw the mountain of luggage waiting, so I believe them.)

Make of that what you will. I think right now you couldn't/shouldn't count on getting a lost bag even if you arrive at your destination 2 days before your cruise. I might give it a try if I were you, but I agree you'd have to be a very careful planner.

What port in Italy are you sailing from?  I think it would be fairly easy to find common items as long as you are not tied to specific brands. The one exception might be high SPF sunscreen. Once, staying in Campania near Pompeii for a week, we had blistering heat and I ran out of sunscreen. I couldn't find anything higher than a 30 spf in the drugstores nearby. Italians do still seem to like the sun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I just flew back yesterday from Europe through Amsterdam. Although I had a longish layover (planned that way due to the chaotic conditions), my checked bag still did not make it on the plane....  Luckily I am at home and can do without until I get my bag. However it's worth knowing that while KLM flew my bag to my home airport today, they are so backed up that unless I want to go to the airport and pick it up myself, it will be three days before they can get around to delivering it. (And while waiting to report the missing bag last night, I saw the mountain of luggage waiting, so I believe them.)

Make of that what you will. I think right now you couldn't/shouldn't count on getting a lost bag even if you arrive at your destination 2 days before your cruise. I might give it a try if I were you, but I agree you'd have to be a very careful planner.

What port in Italy are you sailing from?  I think it would be fairly easy to find common items as long as you are not tied to specific brands. The one exception might be high SPF sunscreen. Once, staying in Campania near Pompeii for a week, we had blistering heat and I ran out of sunscreen. I couldn't find anything higher than a 30 spf in the drugstores nearby. Italians do still seem to like the sun!

Thanks everyone.

You are home, my coworker just got her luggage in Nepal after being there a month thankfully she was staying with family.

I fly into Rome on the Saturday and leaving from Civitavecchia on the Monday. I figured clothing would be easy enough I have managed to cram as much as I can into my camera back leaving my wheely bag to take clothing and laptop (need it for work). I figure I can get about a few days to a week's worth of clothing if I stick to sportswear except for dinner. Sunscreen will be an issue, I do use 30 but most of mine are 50-60 because I spend time outside for running normally and as much as I go brown my background is English, Irish and Scot so I do tend to go red if outside all day.

We have been shouting out warnings, for weeks, about the horrid airline situation in Europe (and the USA).  Any connection will vastly increase the odds you will miss a connection (and not easily get another flight) or lose your luggage for days if not forever.  Currently, the only good way to minimize the risk is to book a non-stop flight.  If it means driving hours, or perhaps flying in stages (such as flying to NYC or Miami, spending a day or two with your luggage, and then taking a non-stop flight).  There is no indication that the situation will improve anytime soon.  We have also suggested that folks flying-in for a cruise plan on arriving several days in advance.  Otherwise, you are simply rolling the dice and price of failure can be quite expensive in terms of both money and frustration.

Hank

I was able to pack enough clothes for 3 days in Rome plus 7 days cruise.  It took me several hours to plan what to wear on what day plus mix and match pants and tops.  Fortunately for us, I get 1 free laundry with NCL.  The airline that NCL booked us on is notoriuous for delayed and canceled flights, worse customer service and missing luggages.  I didn't want to take a chance and packed everything in a carryon plus in personal bag.  My personal bag expands to a carryon so on the return flight I plan on checking in a luggage.  I figured if my suitcase doesn't show up for days or lost Im already home and can file a claim with my travel insurance.  Anything I buy in Italy or of importance will be in my carryon.  My clothes and shoes can always be replaced.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We have been shouting out warnings, for weeks, about the horrid airline situation in Europe (and the USA).  Any connection will vastly increase the odds you will miss a connection (and not easily get another flight) or lose your luggage for days if not forever.  Currently, the only good way to minimize the risk is to book a non-stop flight.  If it means driving hours, or perhaps flying in stages (such as flying to NYC or Miami, spending a day or two with your luggage, and then taking a non-stop flight).  There is no indication that the situation will improve anytime soon.  We have also suggested that folks flying-in for a cruise plan on arriving several days in advance.  Otherwise, you are simply rolling the dice and price of failure can be quite expensive in terms of both money and frustration.

Hank

Unfortunately there are no direct flights from where I live to Italy. I could drive 4 hours to Toronto but unfortunately Toronto airport which was terrible for flying in/out of before this is basically the worst now so direct wouldn't help me. I could drive to the US for a flight from Detroit but again, no direct flights (I looked)

The best I can do is book the earliest flight of the day leaving almost 11 hours between flights to make the flight from Toronto to Rome.

2 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

Unfortunately there are no direct flights from where I live to Italy. I could drive 4 hours to Toronto but unfortunately Toronto airport which was terrible for flying in/out of before this is basically the worst now so direct wouldn't help me. I could drive to the US for a flight from Detroit but again, no direct flights (I looked)

The best I can do is book the earliest flight of the day leaving almost 11 hours between flights to make the flight from Toronto to Rome.

Tis truly frustrating for most of us.  We have an upcoming cruise in December for which we must get ourselves to Buenos Aires.  There are many flight options including from our own little local airport (a fantastic place since there are few lines) but all the options from nearby airports (within 2 hours) involves at least 3 flights.  The only non-stop is a daily flight out of JFK which is about a 4 hour drive (similar to you going to Toronto).  So we booked the flight from JFK and will do that 4 hour drive (plus expensive parking near the airport) just to avoid connections.   And even with that non-stop we decided to fly in another day earlier (which means even more money spent because of an extra night in BA).  We do not make these plans because we want to, but because we think it is the ONLY reasonable option in today's chaotic airline world.  

Folks need to understand that the airline situation is not going to get corrected for several years.  It will certainly improve as the airlines reduce the number of scheduled flights but it will be several years until they can gradually increase the number of qualified crews.  There is no quick fix.

Hank

7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

So we booked the flight from JFK and will do that 4 hour drive (plus expensive parking near the airport) just to avoid connections.   And even with that non-stop we decided to fly in another day earlier (which means even more money spent because of an extra night in BA).  We do not make these plans because we want to, but because we think it is the ONLY reasonable option in today's chaotic airline world.  

Folks need to understand that the airline situation is not going to get corrected for several years.  It will certainly improve as the airlines reduce the number of scheduled flights but it will be several years until they can gradually increase the number of qualified crews.  There is no quick fix.

Hank

Hank -just a suggestion.  Rent a car and drop it off at JFK. Same for return home. It's probably less than parking and no worries about your car. We always do this if traveling for more than one week. 

In the horror story category, our flight from Lisbon to the US got canceled for some malfunction.  Rebooked on same flight next day which also got canceled.  Then rebooked to Heathrow that evening and on to the US next morning. Thanks to the very interesting EU regs, the airline put us up at a 5* hotel and fed us. I will be filing my claim soon.

18 minutes ago, marazul said:

Hank -just a suggestion.  Rent a car and drop it off at JFK. Same for return home. It's probably less than parking and no worries about your car. We always do this if traveling for more than one week. 

In the horror story category, our flight from Lisbon to the US got canceled for some malfunction.  Rebooked on same flight next day which also got canceled.  Then rebooked to Heathrow that evening and on to the US next morning. Thanks to the very interesting EU regs, the airline put us up at a 5* hotel and fed us. I will be filing my claim soon.

We hear you :).  It is something we have done a few times in the past.  But these days it turns out not to be a good option because of the big price increases with the rental car companies.  We were able to find a nearby hotel that will park our car for 15 days for about $170.  Two, one-way rentals would cost substantially more.  But we do agree with your thinking and its often what we do on longer cruises when local parking makes little sense.  At this time the cheapest one-way rental from JFK back to our home town is just over $200.  A one-way from home to JFK is about $150.  And the rental cars are not nearly as comfy as our own vehicle :).   

Hank

14 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We hear you :).  It is something we have done a few times in the past.  But these days it turns out not to be a good option because of the big price increases with the rental car companies.  We were able to find a nearby hotel that will park our car for 15 days for about $170.  Two, one-way rentals would cost substantially more.  But we do agree with your thinking and its often what we do on longer cruises when local parking makes little sense.  At this time the cheapest one-way rental from JFK back to our home town is just over $200.  A one-way from home to JFK is about $150.  And the rental cars are not nearly as comfy as our own vehicle :).   

Hank

Ouch! We are still getting better prices.

On 7/5/2022 at 11:41 AM, carlmm said:

The chance of your luggage getting lost is real, yes, but it minuscle.

You have not seen the Sh^& Show that is Pearson I take it🥶

My wife and I are seriously trying for 2 carry ones for a 1 week Greece cruise out of Trieste plus 3 weeks post cruise in Italy. As long as we have enough for the cruise (NCL so no formal wear required 👍) my darling wife has no problems doing a little clothes shopping in Italy...I can smell the smoke off my Visa already🥺

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

See this article today on European baggage issues, to Hank's point:  Baggage piles up as Europe fights air travel delays, staffing shortages (msn.com)

It's like that here too. To Brian's point Pearson couldn't even get bags onto the check in conveyor belt they were piling up inside the open pre security terminal - so direct or connecting through there is a nightmare right now. Last week Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa were in the top worse airports for flying.

My husband and I haven't checked a bag in years, and this includes numerous cruises and weeks of independent land travel. We always take a carryon and a backpack, which includes a small special pillow for my arthritic neck and a set of foldable hiking poles.  The trick is to hand-wash along the way. Long ago I purchased an expandable rubber clothes line which helps a lot. Also, all our clothes are non-wrinkel and easily rolled.  Only problem is (as my sister-in-law pointed out) all our travel photos always show the same outfits.

17 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

See this article today on European baggage issues, to Hank's point:  Baggage piles up as Europe fights air travel delays, staffing shortages (msn.com)

Thankfully no problems with our baggage when we arrived in Rome on Tuesday and efficient in baggage claim. Maybe because we flew Singapore Airlines from Perth-Singapore-Rome? 

@Lena11033 if you are arriving this Saturday just to let you know it is Salde (sale time) if you want to pick up something here 🙂.

• Like 1

Since retiring 12 years ago and travelling frequently we only travel with carry on. We each have an international size carry on.  Slightly smaller that NA limits.

Does not matter if it is seven days or seven weeks.   Just came back from 5 weeks in Portugal.  We were so glad that we had carry on only with all the luggage issues some travelers were experiencing..  Not to mention getting on and off trains.

Pre covid we would often pick up last minute cruises.  Our approach was simply to skip formal night and eat at the buffet or in an alternative restaurant that was casual only.

The only way we were finally able to get down to carry on was to buy the carry on bags.  That become our limit, along with a weight restriction for some airline.   It was a challenge at first.  It is not for everyone.  

One benefit for Italy.....the luggage space on a Fiat Panda will hold both our carry ons with the top cover securely over our bags.  This is the car we most often end up with when we rent in Italy.

Edited by iancal

I am sitting at home killing time, waiting to board my flight to Paris later tonight. We are in Paris, Venice then Rome before we board our cruise on July 18th.  We have our carryons and backpacks ready to go.  I have found the packing cubes very helpful in saving space.  Granted I will have to repeat outfits I wore on land part of the trip, on the cruise...I'm so happy we were able to fit everything in carry ons. I"m on Air Canada and our flight is delayed an hour....not taking the chance of losing time fighting for my luggage too!!

Good Luck...it can be done!