Apple Airtags

talljules1

Just a hint:  you can name your Air Tag.  I use the color of the bag it’s in.  After the last cruise, I must have taken one out of a bag.  I only could find 3.  Then I discovered that my iPhone would cause it to beep.  Found it!  Wouldn’t travel without them.

• Like 2

We also have AirTags inside every suitcase and carryon!  Knowing that our bags are with us is comforting during a stressful day of travel!

• Like 1

Totally agree will not travel without them after I had my suitcase with my clothes and my wine suitcase (a case of really good wine) not show up in Mexico.  Never again.  I have them in all of my bags as well as carry on’s. 

Another big fan of AirTags on all bags and backpack.  I normally have to adjust settings or every time I leave my cabin I get a reminder that I left my suitcase behind.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/6/2022 at 9:57 AM, MamaFej said:

We do, too. The ones for the dogs even have cute little doggie icons on them. I was just offerering information for the person who asked where else to buy them. 

Thanks for chiming in, I think the engraving information may be helpful to others. 

LOL.  I just purchased one for our dog...

• Like 1

It does create some angst on a transit stop if one of the tags doesn't update as fast as the others and doesn't update before you reboard.  Then you spend the next sector worrying about it. 

• Like 1

I have an AirTag in my car and it is incredible.    I can't tell you how many times I didn't pay attention to where I put my car in a large parking lot.   Find me sends me directly to my car.

I'm not sure if it is just good mapping in Silicon Valley but at Kaiser Medical Center they even shows the parking spaces and lanes on the map.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fan of the air tags as well.  Locating them on the ship.  Cabin attendant put our luggage way down the hall.  We were walking by to the cabin. Oh look. Air tags say this is where our luggage was.  Found

• Like 1

AirTag saved me from having no luggage on a transatlantic in 2022. Due to flight delays and changed connections, my luggage didn't make it to Rome with me. The lost luggage contractor had a not-so-helpful message that they would do their best to return any lost luggage in 3-7 days. Two days later, with no follow up from the contractor, I see on my phone that my luggage is at FCO. I head back to the airport where the lost luggage desk tells me that my luggage is still missing and cannot be located. I tell them that my iPhone shows it as being in the same room and suggest they take a look in the storage area behind them. Eventually they do and surprise surprise they find it there.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have an AirTag in my car and it is incredible.    I can't tell you how many times I didn't pay attention to where I put my car in a large parking lot.   Find me sends me directly to my car.

I'm not sure if it is just good mapping in Silicon Valley but at Kaiser Medical Center they even shows the parking spaces and lanes on the map.  

I did this too, but that was because I was leaving my car at Detroit airport for two weeks 🙃

But yeah I have 4 tags, one car and then 1 for each of my bags. I do it for carry ons just in case. When flying from Windsor my carry on standard item normally has to get checked. Yes it doesn't leave me for long basically drop it off getting on the plane and pick it up after. But way I see if, if its not with me then I want a tag to monitor it.

On 7/4/2022 at 1:50 PM, talljules1 said:

Hello all

Does anyone have any thoughts/experience of using Apple Airtags. I'm mindful that with difficulties in many airports at the moment, having some extra reassurance of where are bags actually are might be useful. (I am aware that they're got good whilst the bags are on conveyor belts in the airport - but perhaps it lets you know that your bags are actually on your flight/coach. I'm equally mindful that, of course, having the tags doesn't alter the likelihood that your bags will travel with you.

Have just ordered some, and from what I have seen online it looks like it is OK to put them inside checked bags, so that's my plan.

Am guessing it might also make it easier to find bags in baggage reclaim in places like Southampton port.

We put air tags inside our luggage and can tell if it's on the plane with us.  Once I surrender our luggage to the air lines I get an alert that the luggage is no longer with me. Depending on my seat in location to the luggage I sometimes get an alert that the luggage is with me. Otherwise I can track the luggage and as long as it's with in a close location I know that it wasn't left at the airport or headed on another plane in a different direction.

On 7/7/2022 at 12:04 PM, Jim_Iain said:

I looked at my Amazon Order and have to make a correction.  They do not come with the leather key rings they are an accessory i bought separately for 4 for $29.00

Do you have to have them in a leather key ring?  Or can you just place them in your luggage without one?

2 minutes ago, kayehall said:

Do you have to have them in a leather key ring?  Or can you just place them in your luggage without one?

No leather key ring or other type of holder is required.  Having said that, I prefer to secure it in a hidden location within my luggage (between the luggage liner and luggage body) in the event TSA has the need to go through my luggage for some reason.

AirTags (or similar) are a pretty low cost "no brainer" sort of thing for travelers and their luggage.  There are other uses, too, so the multi-pack is useful even if you just have a couple bags.  Dogs, car keys, bicycle, kids 😄 or whatever.

For those new to Airtags, you should know their direct range is about 33 feet...Bluetooth's connectivity range.  Locating a misplaced item, a piece of luggage, requires someone with an iPhone passing within 33 feet of your item.  

If you secure an Airtag onto your dog's collar and he runs off into the woods, FindMy will report its location when last within range.  His current location will not be updated until someone carrying an iPhone comes close.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

For those new to Airtags, you should know their direct range is about 33 feet...Bluetooth's connectivity range.  Locating a misplaced item, a piece of luggage, requires someone with an iPhone passing within 33 feet of your item.  

If you secure an Airtag onto your dog's collar and he runs off into the woods, FindMy will report its location when last within range.  His current location will not be updated until someone carrying an iPhone comes close.

soon it will work on both Apple and Android phones , so it will even be better 

but which year 🤔🤣

https://www.computerworld.com/article/2083782/apples-find-my-system-is-coming-to-android.html

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

soon it will work on both Apple and Android phones , so it will even be better 

but which year

There's been talk of Apple introducing a new version of AirTags in 2025.  Whether this new version will also support Android is anyone's guess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, -Lew- said:

There's been talk of Apple introducing a new version of AirTags in 2025.  Whether this new version will also support Android is anyone's guess.

Could be soon , as Airtages Gen 1 have been on sale on Amazon and Costco for a couple of weeks 

54 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Could be soon , as Airtages Gen 1 have been on sale on Amazon and Costco for a couple of weeks 

True, I’m seeing 4 for $80 on Amazon..

• Thanks 1

Been using Samsung's android version for awhile now. Very good but as noted in previous comment there are times when one of the tags don't update right away for what ever reason and you get that moment of worry that one suitcase maybe didn't make the plane. 😁