So many days at sea now

Since the whole covid thing started, I haven't been on a cruise. I am starting to look again and notice that there are a lot of days at sea now (usually 3). Is that because islands are still closed due to covid?

Just now, BonnieSte said:

I am starting to look again and notice that there are a lot of days at sea now (usually 3).

The itineraries have not really changed - you are either remembering things differently or looking at different type of itineraries.

• Like 3

Thanks for the quick replies.

True, I am used to sailing out of San Juan and having an island each day. I wanted to check out sailings out of Miami this time. Maybe so many days at sea won't be so bad.

9 minutes ago, BonnieSte said:

Since the whole covid thing started, I haven't been on a cruise. I am starting to look again and notice that there are a lot of days at sea now (usually 3). Is that because islands are still closed due to covid?

Nope. Check out cruises leaving from San Juan. Port intensive cruises which we prefer. We aren't sea day fans. On our first leg of our 13 March B2B Caribbean cruise we had no sea days. On our second leg 20 March we had two sea days. 

Never mind, I just saw your recent post. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Nope. Check out cruises leaving from San Juan. Port intensive cruises which we prefer. We aren't sea day fans. On our first leg of our 13 March B2B Caribbean cruise we had no sea days. On our second leg 20 March we had two sea days. 

Never mind, I just saw your recent post. 

I'm the opposite, prefer more seas days over port intensive cruises.  But some sea days between ports works for me.

One of my favorite cruises was a 10 night non-stop TA (Lisbon to San Juan) on an Oasis class lifeboat (Azamara Journey).  I've also done 8 night non-stop TAs (Southampton to Cape Liberty) on Quantum and Anthem.

Another favorite cruise was a 16 night Arctic Crossing with 6 sea days and overnights in 2 ports.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

I'm the opposite, prefer more seas days over port intensive cruises.  But some sea days between ports works for me.

One of my favorite cruises was a 10 night non-stop TA (Lisbon to San Juan) on an Oasis class lifeboat (Azamara Journey).  I've also done 8 night non-stop TAs (Southampton to Cape Liberty) on Quantum and Anthem.

Another favorite cruise was a 16 night Arctic Crossing with 6 sea days and overnights in 2 ports.

I believe my wife and I are in the minority for not being sea day fans. 

Our usual port day is eat breakfast early and off the ship early and back onboard NLT 1:00 PM. Then it's R&R time on the ship with less people before getting ready for the evening. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Another vote for sea days.   Our favorite is a Oasis Class west bound TA with 8 sea days. 

• Like 3

Just now, davekathy said:

Our usual port day is eat breakfast early and off the ship early and back onboard NLT 1:00 PM. Then it's R&R time on the ship with less people before getting ready for the evening. 

Port Canaveral and Nassau are less crowded "sea" days for me.  But more and more people seem to have the same idea.  😞

• Like 3

We had 10 sea days on our Odyssey TA to Rome….was supposed to be 9 but due to a medical emergency drop off in San Juan, we had to miss Portugal ☹️….

I loved the sea days! hubby didn’t think he could do it, but we booked another so 🤷🏼‍♀️

1 hour ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

We had 10 sea days on our Odyssey TA to Rome….was supposed to be 9 but due to a medical emergency drop off in San Juan, we had to miss Portugal ☹️….

I loved the sea days! hubby didn’t think he could do it, but we booked another so 🤷🏼‍♀️

My first TA (14 nights Port Everglades to Copenhagen) was supposed to be 6 sea days, stop in Azores, 2 sea days, Southampton, then I think the remainder was port days.

When I booked, I wasn't sure how I'd like 6 sea days in a row, but it turned out to be 9 sea days in a row, since Azores port was closed when we arrived due to bad weather.  So, after that experience, I was comfortable booking a 10 night non-stop and later two 8 night non-stops.

The 12-night Southern Caribbean cruise out of Baltimore has 3 sea days up front, 5 island ports back to back, then 3 sea days to return to Baltimore.  A small ship, Enchantment of the Seas, not a mega ship or floating resort. Old style sailing. Never been to any of the ports, LOVE sea days, so I'm psyched for this solo adventure.  One can park at the Baltimore Port adjacent to the Cruise Terminal for $15 a day, with roving security 24/7.

• Like 1

It took me a few cruises to realize just how wonderful sea days are.  Now I look at itineraries and how they allocate sea days before I book.  For me, the first and last days must be at sea with a few more in between ports.

20 hours ago, davekathy said:

Your game plan is our game plan. Not a fan of sea days at all. It does seem like they are slipping more sea days in. Like 10 years ago, there were no 8 day cruises. Now that eighth day is just a sea day.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JanieKid82 said:

The 12-night Southern Caribbean cruise out of Baltimore has 3 sea days up front, 5 island ports back to back, then 3 sea days to return to Baltimore.  A small ship, Enchantment of the Seas, not a mega ship or floating resort. Old style sailing. Never been to any of the ports, LOVE sea days, so I'm psyched for this solo adventure.  One can park at the Baltimore Port adjacent to the Cruise Terminal for $15 a day, with roving security 24/7.

Sounds awesome.  Its the old school,   classic cruise experience.   Now if they just had a gala midnight buffet, it would be complete.  Would love to be on board. Bon Voyage.