what if any places require testing for pre boarding

Hawaiidan

Canada is one.  I suggest, however, that testing is the easy part.  I am convinced that the ArriveCan app that every traveller is obligated to complete was designed to discourage visitors and penalize citizens.  I respectfully suggest you stay away until the app is put to rest.

3 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

I give up.....      where do I find out which places, after August 1 ( I think thats correct for the end of testing)  are going to require a person to test/?????

I can not find any list .......Help me

It’s a moving target, unfortunately, with information that isn’t updated daily, or weekly for that matter.  Look up

your port of embarkation Country’s current requirement.  

I know Greece is one that Oceania called out, nowhere on their government website does it indicate any testing necessary, their last update was quite some time ago though.   

Edited by LNielsen

2 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

on my return flight from Europe,  I am flying LIS-Toronto- ORD.        I am not getting off in Canada...  will I have  to have smart phones and crap  to get that silly" arrive Canada 

I do not intend to  set foot in any of Canada?   

neither I or my wife have one of those gizmos, Nore do we intend to ever get one. Been flying for 50 yr.....   but  now things are so screwed up I can not believe it.

I am aware of the idiot you have  in leadership....  A  piece or work .

Freedom is a wonderful thing.  You can decide not to have a "smart phone and crap", others can decide to get that " crap", and countries can decide what their rules are.  

You are free to decide where you'd like to travel.  Which I believe you are doing.  No need to get constantly angry . 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

On 7/11/2022 at 7:36 PM, RPen63 said:

Canada is one.  I suggest, however, that testing is the easy part.  I am convinced that the ArriveCan app that every traveller is obligated to complete was designed to discourage visitors and penalize citizens.  I respectfully suggest you stay away until the app is put to rest.

Arrive Can is a very slight pain in the neck but hardly a reason not to travel to Canada. Takes a couple of minutes and Done. Much bigger intrusive deal is random testing for vaccinated folks..off site from major airports. You are randomly selected for followup testing after you leave the airport. Fortunately for us the program begins on July 19 and we arrive in Vancouver for our cruise on July 17.

• Like 1

HawaiiDan-

I don't know if you found your answer to your question:

"on my return flight from Europe,  I am flying LIS-Toronto- ORD.        I am not getting off in Canada...  will I have  to have smart phones and crap  to get that silly" arrive Canada 

I do not intend to  set foot in any of Canada?"   

But here's an excerpt for the ArriveCan Document on the Canadian Government website (the link to the site follows it): 

"If transiting through Canada to another country by air
Travellers who are transiting through Canada to another country (international to international) don't need to submit their information through ArriveCAN as long as they:

are transiting through:
Vancouver International Airport
Toronto Pearson International Airport
Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport
Calgary International Airport
stay in the secure transit area within the airport while making their connection

A secure transit area is a specific zone that separates travellers and their baggage from other passengers and goods. If travellers are not sure whether they will need to leave the secure transit area to get to their connection flight, they must confirm with their airline prior to departure.

If you do leave the secure transit area for any reason, you will need to:

submit your mandatory public health information using ArriveCAN prior to arrival at the connecting airport.
see a CBSA officer for examination."

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/services/arrivecan.html

8 hours ago, edgee said:

Arrive Can is a very slight pain in the neck but hardly a reason not to travel to Canada. Takes a couple of minutes and Done. Much bigger intrusive deal is random testing for vaccinated folks..off site from major airports. You are randomly selected for followup testing after you leave the airport. Fortunately for us the program begins on July 19 and we arrive in Vancouver for our cruise on July 17.

Good timing on your part, Edgee. We are supposed to take a train/bus tour from Vancouver to Banff, end of July. Maybe it’s due to my irrational paranoia about airport security, but we are debating whether to cancel this trip rather than take our chances flying into Vancouver. The possibility of a 10-day quarantine in some mysterious undisclosed location in a foreign country is … daunting. 

on my return flight from Europe,  I am flying LIS-Toronto- ORD.        I am not getting off in Canada...  will I have  to have smart phones and crap  to get that silly" arrive Canada 

I do not intend to  set foot in any of Canada?"   

…that silly arrive Canada is being used by a country that has fared far better than the US In every metric of Covid response - about one-third of the Covid deaths per capita.

There are plenty of electrical outlets (same type as at home) where you could plug in your monitor and CPU as the arrive Canada app has a web-based source as well.

That quarantine in a foreign country just might improve your chance of Covid survival and there won’t be any astronomical medical bills at the end. 😜

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Frncie said:

Good timing on your part, Edgee. We are supposed to take a train/bus tour from Vancouver to Banff, end of July. Maybe it’s due to my irrational paranoia about airport security, but we are debating whether to cancel this trip rather than take our chances flying into Vancouver. The possibility of a 10-day quarantine in some mysterious undisclosed location in a foreign country is … daunting. 

Most people in Canada speak English   & even understand American 😄

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 7

On 7/15/2022 at 10:18 PM, Frncie said:

10-day quarantine in one of the most beautiful cities in North America?  Heck - why not skip the Banff part and stay a couple weeks in Vancouver?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Sny said:

10-day quarantine in one of the most beautiful cities in North America?  Heck - why not skip the Banff part and stay a couple weeks in Vancouver?

I don't know, from the inside of a hotel room all cities are about the same, unless you have a decent view. I didn't at the Marriott I stayed at in Vancouver. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Sny said:

Vancouver is indeed beautiful and you'll love the beauty of the drive/train from Vancouver to Banff. Banff itself is stunning - enjoy!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Frncie said:

Absolutely. The five-star reviews of those quarantine facilities practically write themselves. 

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/isolation/designated-quarantine-facilities#plan-not-suitable

You mean we don’t get to quarantine for 10 days at the Fairmont?

Did you read the whole  page  with the requirements ?

Yes I did. This is my favorite part. 

You must not:

• leave your room unless it's:
    • for a medical emergency
    • for an essential medical service or treatment
    • pre-authorized by a Quarantine Officer
  • have any visitors
  • use shared spaces in the facility
  • receive deliveries unless it is for an essential reason

39 minutes ago, Frncie said:

Yes I did. This is my favorite part. 

You must not:

• leave your room unless it's:
    • for a medical emergency
    • for an essential medical service or treatment
    • pre-authorized by a Quarantine Officer
  • have any visitors
  • use shared spaces in the facility
  • receive deliveries unless it is for an essential reason

I do not understand  what your problem is with the rules of other Countries

If you test positive you feel that you are entitled to wander around & possible infect others ??

Says Peter Cerda, IATA’s Regional Vice President for the Americas: “Canada has become a total outlier in managing COVID-19 and travel. While governments across the globe are rolling back restrictions, the government of Canada is reinstating them. The government should follow the lead of its peers, including, for example, Australia. While that country had some of the toughest travel restrictions during the height of the pandemic, it has now lifted these, including the vaccination requirement. Rather than following this example and enabling travel and tourism to recover, those in power in Canada believe that throwing more red tape at the pandemic is the way forward.”

On 7/15/2022 at 10:18 PM, Frncie said:

Canada is hardly a third world country

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Frncie said:

Says Peter Cerda, IATA’s Regional Vice President for the Americas: “Canada has become a total outlier in managing COVID-19 and travel. While governments across the globe are rolling back restrictions, the government of Canada is reinstating them. The government should follow the lead of its peers, including, for example, Australia. While that country had some of the toughest travel restrictions during the height of the pandemic, it has now lifted these, including the vaccination requirement. Rather than following this example and enabling travel and tourism to recover, those in power in Canada believe that throwing more red tape at the pandemic is the way forward.”

My belief is that Canada has done an excellent job, and continues to do so and just because people have had enough is not a basis to make decisions.

• Like 2

On 7/12/2022 at 3:46 AM, LNielsen said:

It’s a moving target, unfortunately, with information that isn’t updated daily, or weekly for that matter.  Look up

your port of embarkation Country’s current requirement.  

I know Greece is one that Oceania called out, nowhere on their government website does it indicate any testing necessary, their last update was quite some time ago though.   

Departing Athens 6th August Test or No test ??? O says yes Greece has nothing on website . 

Used ArriveCAN last week for the first time. We did a land crossing.

You can register people in the app at any time. Can only complete an entry form within 72 hours of your expected arrival.

We changed port of entry at the last moment due to posted wait times and it was super easy to cancel existing and do new one (did not have to re-enter lodging address in Canada).

You can use the app on your phone or the website from your computer.

At the border we handed Canada Immigration officer the cell phone with a code - nope, they just needed our passports and their system automatically links to the record in seconds. Actually easier than all the PIFs needed fall 2021 for UK and Italy, but more of a hassle than the nothing needed for many (most?) countries today. 

Travel hassles are still a bit higher than pre-Covid, I respect anyone's decision as to whether to travel now/yet (and how or where to) or not.