Capri from Naples

sasset

Our ship will be in Naples for 11 1/2 hours. Celebrity's shore excursion lists "Capri On Your  Own" as 9 hours. The description says 50 minutes each way and 5 hours on Capri, which adds up to 6 Hours 40 minutes. Anyone done this excursion? We want to have some time in Naples. A 9 hour tour would pretty much knock that out, but, if it's really closer to 7 hours, Naples would be doable.

Why not just do Capri on your own?  The ferry port is literally right next to the port where the cruise ships dock. You can even buy your ferry tickets in advance if you want. It's one of the easiest things to do on your own in Naples.

• Like 7

Do it your self.  We took the ferry over.  We had booked a boat tour around Capri ahead of time. When we returned from the boat trip we had lunch and then grabbed one of the Capri convertible cars to take us around.

It was a amazing day.  
Just one tip, buy your return ferry tickets when you are buying the tickets to Capri, don’t wait til you are ready to return to get tickets.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Why not just do Capri on your own?  The ferry port is literally right next to the port where the cruise ships dock. You can even buy your ferry tickets in advance if you want. It's one of the easiest things to do on your own in Naples.

4 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I agree.  Do it on your own.  You may not want to spend five hours on Capri with a large group.  We took the ferry over and then purchased a boat trip around Capri from the locals.

4 hours ago, jelayne said:

Do it your self.  We took the ferry over.  We had booked a boat tour around Capri ahead of time.
Just one tip, buy your return ferry tickets when you are buying the tickets to Capri, don’t wait til you are ready to return to get tickets.

Agree with all the helpful comments above.

May I recommend an amazing boat trip around Capri? It was a pleasure and we saw so much --

http://www.capriwhales.it/who-are-us/?lang=en

6 minutes ago, bluecruisin said:

If you plan on seeing the Blue Grotto do it first thing, the earlier the lass crowded it will be

Also I have heard the water is often calmer in the morning.  The boats won't go into the Blue Grotto if the seas are heavy.

12 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Agree -  we did on our own.   They sell tickets right at the pier and the one we took included a boat ride to the Gratta Azzurra (the Blue Crotto)  not to be missed.

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

If on your own just remember to take a ferry back that gives you plenty of time before the cruise ship departs that day.  

That's what we were trying calculate. The ship tour time vs on our own time allotment. 

Thank for all the replies.

21 hours ago, sasset said:

That's what we were trying calculate. The ship tour time vs on our own time allotment. 

Thank for all the replies.

I say this because my brother almost missed our ship departing Naples.  He was ticketed for the last ferry and it was delayed.  That was pre-COVID times.  So now it might be even more of a risk.

Never take the last ferry when on a cruise.  It was so easy for us to walk over and buy the tickets; the line was short and we were on the "fast ferry" in no time.  Just look up the schedule for times and plan accordingly.  Actually, doing things on your own and researching everything first, makes for a better excursion.  You get to do and see what you want, on your own time frame.

• Like 1

I highly recommend only going with the excursion. The ferries get delayed and/or sold out, and you could miss the ship. We did the excursion twice. The second time we had considered going on our own, but I chickened out. I’m so glad I did because when we arrived on Capri, we made note of return ferry availability to see if we would have been ok, and every ferry was sold out from 1:00 PM on! Our excursion actually used one of the regular ferries, so we were onboard with independent travelers as well, and it departed very late and then hit rough seas the whole way back, making it take way longer than usual. If we hadn’t been on a ship excursion, we would have missed the ship. 

We adore Capri and want to go back again and again, so you’re right that the limited time isn’t enough. It’s just not worth the risk to go on your own, IMO, especially in our new world of labor shortages and constant delays.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I highly recommend only going with the excursion. The ferries get delayed and/or sold out, and you could miss the ship. We did the excursion twice. The second time we had considered going on our own, but I chickened out. I’m so glad I did because when we arrived on Capri, we made note of return ferry availability to see if we would have been ok, and every ferry was sold out from 1:00 PM on! Our excursion actually used one of the regular ferries, so we were onboard with independent travelers as well, and it departed very late and then hit rough seas the whole way back, making it take way longer than usual. If we hadn’t been on a ship excursion, we would have missed the ship. 

We adore Capri and want to go back again and again, so you’re right that the limited time isn’t enough. It’s just not worth the risk to go on your own, IMO, especially in our new world of labor shortages and constant delays.

When you purchase (independently) your ferry ticket to Capri, purchase your return ticket at the same time.  Just don't pick the last ferry of the day for the return.