Heathrow Layover Advice

Rainbow3fe

Is it advisable to go into London for about 4 hours?

We have a layover at Heathrow from 9AM to 4PM on our way to Capetown for our upcoming Oceania cruise. Not sure if staying in an airport lounge for 7 hours is pleasant but the anxiety of getting back into the Terminal and going thru security may not be worth it.

Would like your feedback. 

Thanks 

19 minutes ago, Rainbow3fe said:

Is it advisable to go into London for about 4 hours?

We have a layover at Heathrow from 9AM to 4PM on our way to Capetown for our upcoming Oceania cruise. Not sure if staying in an airport lounge for 7 hours is pleasant but the anxiety of getting back into the Terminal and going thru security may not be worth it.

Would like your feedback. 

Thanks 

Worth It? With the understanding that London is one of our favorite cities, the short answer is NO.

Most importantly, a scheduled 9:00AM arrival could easily become 10:00AM (and you still would need to get out of the airport and then into London with what could be a very uncertain transfer time).

At the other end (departure), there’s getting back to the airport with the same uncertain ground transfer time.

Most importantly (and you mentioned this in your post),  you may find  that the “security” line(s) would eat up more time than you think.

FWIW: We recently connected at FRA on our way from SFO to ARN. Our planned 3 hour layover ended up with almost 90 minutes just to get through passport control. That left less than an hour before boarding started to head to the Lufthansa bizclass lounge for a break. Imagine the situation if our plane had not left SFO on time.

That said, rethink your “7 hr layover” and be realistic regarding “about 4 hours” in London. 
Of course, you could always change your flight times to add a three day “layover” and actually visit London.

• Thanks 1

From what I have been reading about the UK airports lately I wouldn't leave and try to come back.  They are a complete disaster right now with mile long lines and very long waits to get processed.

Example:

https://www.airport-technology.com/news/heathrow-apologies-for-chaos/

Edited by ColeThornton
  • Thanks 1

In normal times, absolutely. I'm the king of "let me pop in to the city for lunch on my layover", even if it's a city I have been to 100 times. But in these times, there are just too many unknowns and potential pain points. As someone who just got back from Europe yesterday, and has been to Europe a couple times this spring/summer already, it's still a mess. It will still be a mess for a while, sadly. I would recommend staying in the airport, as unexciting as that may be. 

Edited by Zach1213
  • Thanks 1

If time allows, I'd request a "Stay Over" (i believe it's called)

If flying BA, ( your airline may allow this also), You can stay over for a limited time with no additional fees.

Wife and I did this a few years back when flying to Marco Polo with a change in LHR. We stayed in London for 4 days, then headed back to the airport.

• Thanks 1

My suggestion would be to put a few good books on your Kindle and relax and read them.  If you don't have the status to get into one of the airline lounges, paying for that might be a good idea unless they are also now really overcrowded.

DON

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zach1213 said:

In normal times, absolutely. I'm the king of "let me pop in to the city for lunch on my layover", even if it's a city I have been to 100 times. But in these times, there are just too many unknowns and potential pain points. As someone who just got back from Europe yesterday, and has been to Europe a couple times this spring/summer already, it's still a mess. It will still be a mess for a while, sadly. I would recommend staying in the airport, as unexciting as that may be. 

Thanks.  I really appreciate your insightful comments. Yes, unexciting airport but we won't have to worry about missing our connection. 

28 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

If time allows, I'd request a "Stay Over" (i believe it's called)

If flying BA, ( your airline may allow this also), You can stay over for a limited time with no additional fees.

Wife and I did this a few years back when flying to Marco Polo with a change in LHR. We stayed in London for 4 days, then headed back to the airport.

Thanks 

Nice suggestion.  We need to get to Capetown the next day.Maybe another time.

I honestly don't think there would be enough time in a 7 hour layover.   As far as places to hang out, Heathrow isn't too bad.  

PS: One of the longest hikes I ever took was at LHR!  LOL.   

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I honestly don't think there would be enough time in a 7 hour layover.   As far as places to hang out, Heathrow isn't too bad.  

PS: One of the longest hikes I ever took was at LHR!  LOL.   

Thanks 🙃

LHR is currently a nightmare.  We needed the full 4 hours we allotted to get to our gate.  On top of that, there was road construction all around the airport.  We drove around and around before finally making it in.

7 hours ago, ldubs said:

One of the longest hikes I ever took was at LHR!

SO true.  😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It wouldn't be 4 hours in London on a 7 hour layover even if you only went to Hounslow or Feltham.

Getting from your gate and through customs even with the e-Gates could easily be an hour. Add on at least another 45 minutes to get to central London by transit.  Plan for an hour from central London to the airport security line and you're advised to be there three hours before. You might squeeze in two hours in central London.  

I've went through LHR twice in May. Both times went smoothly and I was checked in and through security in less than an hour but there are no guarantees. The stress hardly seems worth it for a couple of hours.    

Edited by K32682

I’m a huge fan of visiting cities on long layovers. Even with potential problems lately, seven hours is more than enough time to get into London. See a famous site or two, have a cup of tea, then get back to the airport. However, it all depends upon why you are doing this.  

Option 1: I’ve always dreamed of seeing London and this is my chance. 

Option 2: A seven hour layover seems painfully long. Maybe I’ll leave the airport to avoid boredom. 

If you are option 1, I say go for it. If option 2, there is lots to do in the airport. Me? I’d make the rounds of every duty free area and whatever booze tasting they are offering. 

1 hour ago, wcook said:

Even with potential problems lately, seven hours is more than enough time to get into London.

Really. Up to two hours to exit the airport, two hours again to get back to departures, an hour each way to and from London, leaves you just enough time for a quick cup of tea !

Edited by Billish

We have been to and through London many times.  

First of all determine how much time you will really have after taking into consideration deplaning, clearing immigration, time to get to the tube, time on the tube to where you want to go in London.  Then do the reverse and add some time for margin of error.

After you have done that consider what may happen if the airport is backed up.  If there is a security alert (which in our experience can add at least an hour to the security lines), or if there is some sort of delay on the tube line (which we have experienced).

We have been off the plane, on the tube, and in Kensington within an hour.  We have also breezed through security when flying from LHR.  But we have also experienced  the opposite.   It can be a crap shoot.

1 minute ago, iancal said:

We have been to and through London many times.  

First of all determine how much time you will really have after taking into consideration deplaning, clearing immigration, time to get to the tube, time on the tube to where you want to go in London.  Then do the reverse and add some time for margin of error.

After you have done that consider what may happen if the airport is backed up.  If there is a security alert (which in our experience can add at least an hour to the security lines), or if there is some sort of delay on the tube line (which we have experienced).

We have been off the plane, on the tube, and in Kensington within an hour.  We have also breezed through security when flying from LHR.  But we have also experienced  the opposite.   It can be a crap shoot.

And it is certainly not worth missing your flight to South Africa just for a hour or two in London !

7 hours ago, wcook said:

I’m a huge fan of visiting cities on long layovers. Even with potential problems lately, seven hours is more than enough time to get into London. See a famous site or two, have a cup of tea, then get back to the airport. However, it all depends upon why you are doing this.  

Option 2: A seven hour layover seems painfully long. Maybe I’ll leave the airport to avoid boredom. 

If you are option 1, I say go for it. If option 2, there is lots to do in the airport. Me? I’d make the rounds of every duty free area and whatever booze tasting they are offering. 

Yep, if I had to pick a major airport for a long layover, LHR would be on the list.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

If you feel that you must leave Heathrow and I still think that it is a mistake, try typing "things to see near heathrow airport" into Google.

DON

Thanks.

I read so much advice and have decided that leaving would be a mistake. We'll walk around and stay in the Virgin Atlantic lounge.

9 minutes ago, Rainbow3fe said:

Thanks.

I read so much advice and have decided that leaving would be a mistake. We'll walk around and stay in the Virgin Atlantic lounge.

Great decision.  Lots of shops to explore in the terminal, and lots of  drinking as well !

Plus a chance to have a shower and freshen up.

Edited by Billish
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Yep, if I had to pick a major airport for a long layover, LHR would be on the list.  

LOL. Definitely option #2. We visited a few times with our London cousins and explored the city. 

Thanks for the advice. 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2022 at 9:42 AM, wcook said:

Option 3: Stick close to the airport, have too many pints at Green Man in Hatton watching the planes land, and almost forget your departure time. Not that this has happened...............

• Haha 4

We were in Heathrow last week, and had hoped to make a connection but our inbound flight was late, and we did not. People with over 3 hours were not making some connections. 

The airport was a complete disaster. We spent 3 1/2 hours standing in line to rebook. (Finally did it on an AA live chat while waiting in the rebooking line.) BA was not even answering calls or live chat, or all call were disconnecting despite staff’s suggestions that we call. And we did try to call, along with everyone else in line. 

The best we could get was a two days later departure, due to the decrease in capacity (about 10%) imposed right now at the airport.

Then it was another 2 1/2 hours to collect luggage and head for a hotel near the airport. 

It sounds like you’ve already decided not to leave, and I think that’s the right decision. 

They are so short staffed, it could be much more than a couple hours to make a connection, especially if you are changing terminals or have to collect and rebook luggage. 

Edited by Pudgesmom
  • Thanks 1