Azamara Drops Pre-cruise Testing as of July 25, 2022

uktog

15 minutes ago, Hamwen3839 said:

You are correct, I confused the two.

But to show how confusing it is for Greece this is a quote from the official Greece tourism site

Furthermore, as of Sunday 01.05.2022, all travellers arriving in Greece, regardless of their country of origin, are no longer required to display a valid certificate of vaccination or recovery from COVID-19, or evidence of a negative test result from SARS-CoV-2 infection (PCR or Rapid Antigen test).

Following last nights email that we got, I cancelled tests in Dublin scheduled for Sunday (though I will use my own test kit pre boarding).  I was impressed with Randox who immediately put the full cost straight back to my credit card.  Ive used them a bit in the UK since we started travelling first for return home tests when they were needed and then for other tests.  If I ever needed again I would certainly use them again and recommend them to others

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Hamwen3839 said:

But to show how confusing it is for Greece this is a quote from the official Greece tourism site

Furthermore, as of Sunday 01.05.2022, all travellers arriving in Greece, regardless of their country of origin, are no longer required to display a valid certificate of vaccination or recovery from COVID-19, or evidence of a negative test result from SARS-CoV-2 infection (PCR or Rapid Antigen test).

For Passengers on a Azamara cruise visiting several ports in Greece, and ending in Athens, does this entail having to take a test to leave the ship to travel home.

On 7/20/2022 at 4:04 AM, tidespring said:

For Passengers on a Azamara cruise visiting several ports in Greece, and ending in Athens, does this entail having to take a test to leave the ship to travel home.

Our only test requirement was for boarding. I believe they offered a test for those who might need one to return to their home countries but for the UK and US I know it was not needed. We flew out of Athens that afternoon and overnighted at a Heathrow Airport hotel before catching a morning flight back to the US. We tested ourselves when we arrived home once we learned of several people on our cruise testing positive. We had covid unfortunately.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, yogagal47 said:

Our only test requirement was for boarding. I believe they offered a test for those who might need one to return to their home countries but for the UK and US I know it was not needed. We flew out of Athens that afternoon and overnighted at a Heathrow Airport hotel before catching a morning flight back to the US. We tested ourselves when we arrived home once we learned of several people on our cruise testing positive. We had covid unfortunately.

Thank you very much for the info. Sorry you were unwell, and hope it has not deterred you from going again.

3 hours ago, yogagal47 said:

Do you know what happened to them onboard? Is the current policy still to confine people until they test negative and do you know if they are still forcing people into inside cabins, even if they have booked a larger cabin with outdoor space?

Hope you recover from your infection as quickly as I did.

15 hours ago, federalexpress said:

Do you know what happened to them onboard? Is the current policy still to confine people until they test negative and do you know if they are still forcing people into inside cabins, even if they have booked a larger cabin with outdoor space?

Hope you recover from your infection as quickly as I did.

They were confined to the cabin(the husband as well though it took him a few days to test positive). 

This might give some travelers pause so I am going to anonymously post what she told me about her experience on Journey below: 

"We are at the mercy of the team downstairs at the medical centre. I have named them the Balkan Medical Mafia. They are completely terrifying, and I am not the only one that thinks this. They need to be booted off, as they are not a good representation for the ship. They are all Serbian and tough as they come! "

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tidespring said:

Thank you very much for the info. Sorry you were unwell, and hope it has not deterred you from going again.

We booked for an April 2024  segment of the World Cruise on ONWARD.   😀

1 hour ago, yogagal47 said:

They were confined to the cabin(the husband as well though it took him a few days to test positive). 

This might give some travelers pause so I am going to anonymously post what she told me about her experience on Journey below: 

"We are at the mercy of the team downstairs at the medical centre. I have named them the Balkan Medical Mafia. They are completely terrifying, and I am not the only one that thinks this. They need to be booted off, as they are not a good representation for the ship. They are all Serbian and tough as they come! "

It certainly has. Truly scary and the second horror story I've heard on this, another one was posted on a seperate thread. I'm thinking of cancelling my cruise early next year. I think I'll write to Azamara and ask them, if they are removing Covid protocols like pre cruise testing, then they have to also adapt on board protocols so they are less severe.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, federalexpress said:

It certainly has. Truly scary and the second horror story I've heard on this, another one was posted on a seperate thread. I'm thinking of cancelling my cruise early next year. I think I'll write to Azamara and ask them, if they are removing Covid protocols like pre cruise testing, then they have to also adapt on board protocols so they are less severe.

I think that at least for the next six months cruisers need to decide whether or not it is worth risking catching covid as there will be a good chance whether or not testing takes place pre-cruise. Your best bet is to get covid and have strong natural immunity before you go. If the President can have 4 boosters, wear a mask and have constant testing going on in his orbit and still get covid then everyone is likely to get it unless they do not leave their homes. IMHO

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, yogagal47 said:

I think that at least for the next six months cruisers need to decide whether or not it is worth risking catching covid as there will be a good chance whether or not testing takes place pre-cruise. Your best bet is to get covid and have strong natural immunity before you go. If the President can have 4 boosters, wear a mask and have constant testing going on in his orbit and still get covid then everyone is likely to get it unless they do not leave their homes. IMHO

I'd agree with all that. I'm not worried medically. I had it recently and I was fine apart from a day or so of feeling below par. I don't worry much about catching it from that perspective, just being locked up for the whole cruise and losing £15,000 plus of holiday. I'm not rich enough to be able to easily lose that type of money...

• Like 4

Really bad news. Just as a precaution I went and got tested this am. 

RESULTS.  I HAVE COVID!!  
So I just got off phone attempting to cancel everything. 
please let me know how the cruise goes

Sheila

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sbg42 said:

RESULTS.  I HAVE COVID!!  

Sheila

So sorry to read this. 
Take care and I hope you recover quickly and can enjoy a holiday soon 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sbg42 said:

RESULTS.  I HAVE COVID!!  

Sheila

So sorry to hear that Sheila-hope you are not feeling too poorly.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2022 at 1:54 AM, yogagal47 said:

Whatever the rules, I would still home test myself the night prior to boarding.  Firstly so as to not board and not put others at risk.  Secondly, so not be be confined to my cabin for the first seven days.

I strongly believe passengers who have tested positive should absolutely be isolated (along with partner) so that neither one of them moves around the ship infecting others.  However, passengers should remain in the cabin they booked.  What's the point of moving anyone?  I was on a ship where the nurse and the purser visited regularly as well as bringing three meals a day, with wine, plus morning and afternoon tea.  The same meals from the dining room that everyone ate.  I would expect nothing less from Azamara.  Those passengers had no complaints at all.

It is so sad to hear passengers were not treated well, especially by the medical team.  Those medical staff were probably run off their feet, but being polite is not hard.  Being cheerful maybe more difficult, but they need to boost morale of those isolated.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Port Power said:

However, passengers should remain in the cabin they booked.  What's the point of moving anyone?  I was on a ship where the nurse and the purser visited regularly as well as bringing three meals a day, with wine, plus morning and afternoon tea.  The same meals from the dining room that everyone ate.  I would expect nothing less from Azamara.  Those passengers had no complaints at all.

I would feel most upset if I was moved from a verandah cabin to an inside one or even an ocean view one. It would be bad enough being confined  but to be stuck looking at 4 walls would be enough to drive me off my head.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Norn Iron Man said:

I would feel most upset if I was moved from a verandah cabin to an inside one or even an ocean view one. It would be bad enough being confined  but to be stuck looking at 4 walls would be enough to drive me off my head.

I agree, but I can see that there is a risk of infection in a balcony cabin if you have neighbours.

3 hours ago, Norn Iron Man said:

Yes and it occurs to me that if people know that is their fate if they ask for a test and it turns out positive, then it is an incentive for those who have only mild symptoms to not put their hand in the air to ask for one. 

Trickier perhaps if you have a bad cough that will get you noticed by other passengers. In that instance, maybe the idea is to 'voluntarily' isolate yourself in your own cabin...

2 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

I agree, but I can see that there is a risk of infection in a balcony cabin if you have neighbours.

I think with the fresh air and the distance it would be safe enough. The risk in my opinion would be slight.

• Like 2