Azamara Drops Pre-cruise Testing as of July 25, 2022

uktog

Morning and off from Athens on 24th and they still maintain that we need pre-embarkation testing despite the Greek government stating this is not required! Despite mailing and getting the trite answers nothing has changed!

Who would pay 59USD when you can get Antigen testing in Athens near the port on the day for 5 Euro!

Is Azamara really that short of money!

2 hours ago, SandRich said:

Morning and off from Athens on 24th and they still maintain that we need pre-embarkation testing despite the Greek government stating this is not required! Despite mailing and getting the trite answers nothing has changed!

Who would pay 59USD when you can get Antigen testing in Athens near the port on the day for 5 Euro!

Is Azamara really that short of money!

The testing in Athens is a Greek government requirement, (and only for Athens) not an Azamara-generated requirement. And you are certainly free to get tested at a local pharmacy. Azamara offers testing as a convenience. 

Edited by lisiamc

22 minutes ago, SandRich said:

Not true that the Greek government require testing on cruise ships as per their own website!

https://travel.gov.gr/#/

Azamara are doing this off their own back.

There are at least several other cruise lines that require this. Celestyal, Royal Caribbean and others have had to do this. https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-i-have-to-take-a-test-before-i-cruise

Edited by lisiamc

If you check countless other cruise lines , they all require testing to board a cruise ship in Athens. 
There is no requirement to test to enter Greece. So its an anomaly that we have to live with until it changes. 
It was the Port Authority that checked our antigen and PCR certificates at Athens Port, before allowing us to enter the buildings, it is  nothing to do with Azamara.

• Like 2

We met someone on our cruise who did a €10  antigen test in a  city pharmacy in the morning. .When he arrived at the port, his email with certificate had not arrived and he was grateful to be able to test at the port. 

We all know we can get it done cheaper, but the ship pays for someone to be there all day just in case you need it and the cost is reflected in that. You cannot complete check in at the port in until you have that certificate either paper or on phone/tablet.

We all await the Greek Port Authority to change its procedures. Who knows….it could change tomorrow 🤞

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, SandRich said:

Not true that the Greek government require testing on cruise ships as per their own website!

https://travel.gov.gr/#/

You are quoting the Greek national government, which does not require Covid testing for cruise passengers.  But the Port of Piraeus government apparently does.  I'm not sure that this is published on any government website, but Viking has given a detailed explanation, as shown in this post by @Maria63 on the Celebrity forum:

It seems that the requirement is due to the Greek port authority, despite it being dropped from the official Greece travel site. Viking Cruises offers the following explanation, as per their guest instructions updated in mid September:

https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/14-PreCruiseRequirement-All-US_CAN_UK_AU_NZ.pdf

NOTE: The port authority in Greece requires pre-embarkation test results for travelers boarding a cruise ship, in accordance with EU cruise ship travel guidelines. The country of Greece does not list these requirements on their official travel site (listed below), as the pre-embarkation test requirement is separate from any requirements for entry to the country of Greece. Without proof of a laboratory-certified negative COVID-19 test, you may be unable to embark the ship and begin your journey.

This is the same situation we faced last fall in Italy:  people kept saying that the Italian national government website said nothing about keeping cruise passengers in a bubble – but the local port authorities were enforcing it very strictly.  And there were conspiracy theories that this was to force people to purchase ship excursions.  That was unfair then, and your charge that Azamara is "doing this off their own back" is unfair now.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, combine said:

We met someone on our cruise who did a €10  antigen test in a  city pharmacy in the morning. .When he arrived at the port, his email with certificate had not arrived and he was grateful to be able to test at the port. 

We all know we can get it done cheaper, but the ship pays for someone to be there all day just in case you need it and the cost is reflected in that. You cannot complete check in at the port in until you have that certificate either paper or on phone/tablet.

We all await the Greek Port Authority to change its procedures. Who knows….it could change tomorrow 🤞

I have heard that it could change at the end of the month. Or not. The Greek authorities will do whatever they feel they need to do, I’m sure.

If we could have got a test on Onward in May in Montecarlo we would have, but that was not happening on Onward at that time. It was a Bank Holiday in Montecarlo as well, so convenience can be worth quite a lot! We paid more than that to get our tests at Heathrow before we set off.

Thank you for the information and all exceptionally helpful and if AZ had said it was the Port Authority making the rules then I would have understood as they do make their own rules.

Useful debate and one to watch re the local testing ...thanks Jazzbeau and also fellow Brit Combine..

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SandRich said:

Thank you for the information and all exceptionally helpful and if AZ had said it was the Port Authority making the rules then I would have understood as they do make their own rules.

Useful debate and one to watch re the local testing ...thanks Jazzbeau and also fellow Brit Combine..

We tested at Heathrow ( yep more than €10!)  before we flew out the day before the cruise. We had our certificate before we even checked in for the flight. It was one less  thing to worry about on morning of cruise.

Cheers combine and ordinarily I have done that but alas in Athens for 3 days pre cruise so looked for local testers that were certified and speedy, so we could do an antigen test in the last 24 hours pre boarding at the port. I appreciate all the help though...cheers

28 minutes ago, SandRich said:

Agree its an odd one....sigh. Still my point was also that people should be aware of 5 Euros locally rather than a bonkers 59USD on the ship!

Sorry, but you are being unfair. I note you aren't actually doing an Azamara cruisre. I am. Leave out of Athens on Saturday. I'm going to quote exactly what Azamara told me on their original email. They have given options. Up to the individual what they do. 

For those countries that still require guests to present a negative COVID-19 test prior to boarding, please consider the following instructions:

• Test results must be one of the following tests, administered at a testing laboratory or a licensed testing site:
    • PCR: Test date no older than 3 days prior to embarkation

• Antigen: Test date must be within one day of embarkation

Antigen COVID-19 testing is available for $59 USD in the terminal or on the boarding deck. Boarding will be denied to those guests who cannot provide a negative COVID-19 test. 

Pretty clear to me you don't need the Azamara test if you can do your own and meet the criteria.  Where are they trying to make a quick buck?

Phil 

• Like 2

Thank you and my original post said that I am on an AZ cruise on Saturday...see you there. Not being unfair and have had ongoing mails with Azamara for months.

I have seen the quotes and I was being helpful re local testing and also querying the need for the test but the other helpful replies have now pointed out its a Port Authority requirement not National Greek gov.

24 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

You are quoting the Greek national government, which does not require Covid testing for cruise passengers.  But the Port of Piraeus government apparently does.  I'm not sure that this is published on any government website, but Viking has given a detailed explanation, as shown in this post by @Maria63 on the Celebrity forum:

It seems that the requirement is due to the Greek port authority, despite it being dropped from the official Greece travel site. Viking Cruises offers the following explanation, as per their guest instructions updated in mid September:

https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/14-PreCruiseRequirement-All-US_CAN_UK_AU_NZ.pdf

NOTE: The port authority in Greece requires pre-embarkation test results for travelers boarding a cruise ship, in accordance with EU cruise ship travel guidelines. The country of Greece does not list these requirements on their official travel site (listed below), as the pre-embarkation test requirement is separate from any requirements for entry to the country of Greece. Without proof of a laboratory-certified negative COVID-19 test, you may be unable to embark the ship and begin your journey.

The part that is most disconcerting to me- if port of Piraeus is requiring this- why do some cruise lines allow antigen test 48 hrs(Viking for example) or 2 days before embarkation and Azamara requires antigen within 1 day of embarkation. Shouldn’t the rule be the same as other cruise lines?

Since our day before embarkation is a National Holiday in Greece- availability is restricted.  We certainly will make due and appreciate having option to test at port if needed. 

35 minutes ago, SandRich said:

Thank you and my original post said that I am on an AZ cruise on Saturday...see you there. Not being unfair and have had ongoing mails with Azamara for months.

I have seen the quotes and I was being helpful re local testing and also querying the need for the test but the other helpful replies have now pointed out its a Port Authority requirement not National Greek gov.

Apologies. I missed that post. I still think you are being unfair. You have suggested it's an Azamara money making scheme. It's not. They have to abide by local rules. I was hoping they'd do away with this requirement by the time we sail. Not much time left now so will just have to get on with. Given what's gone on and the mess covid has made of my cruise plans, it's inconsequential. Safe travels to Athens. 

Phil 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Apologies. I missed that post. I still think you are being unfair. You have suggested it's an Azamara money making scheme. It's not. They have to abide by local rules. I was hoping they'd do away with this requirement by the time we sail. Not much time left now so will just have to get on with. Given what's gone on and the mess covid has made of my cruise plans, it's inconsequential. Safe travels to Athens. 

Phil 

Have a great cruise Phil!! I know you'll be happy to be back on AZ!! 🙂

• Like 1