Looking for advice on flights

Lena11033

I live in Canada but am close to the border, I have a cruise in March and was looking at flights. If I fly from Canada it's at least $500 more than if I drive over to Detroit and just fly from there (not to mention it will be a direct flight).

Anyone have feedback on this airport and airlines? I typically fly Air Canada but looks like the options will be American or Delta neither of which I have flown with before

I'd prefer Delta over American.  My parents had a horrible experience with AA earlier this year, and I know of someone else that had a horrible experience with AA last week.  The situation last week was resolved by booking Delta flights.

I'm not sure any particular airline is safe from horrible experiences right now, though the low-cost carriers seem to be less in the news.

Everyone has "horrible" experiences with airlines; it can't be avoided no matter who you fly.  Worst on-time performance for June 2022 was JetBlue, with 9,088 of their flights (~35.9%) delayed.  Southwest was next with 31,409 (~29.05%) of their flights delayed.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, hallux said:

I'd prefer Delta over American.  My parents had a horrible experience with AA earlier this year, and I know of someone else that had a horrible experience with AA last week.  The situation last week was resolved by booking Delta flights.

To be fair, I have flown AA domestically and internationally on at least 50 legs this year so far, and haven't had any particularly bad issues that I wouldn't have experienced on other airlines. My colleague who flies Delta had two AMS-MSP flights cancelled within three days, whereas my AMS-PHL flight went off without a hitch. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

My colleague who flies Delta had two AMS-MSP flights cancelled within three days, whereas my AMS-PHL flight went off without a hitch. 

Hence the second part of my post, which you failed to quote...

50 minutes ago, hallux said:

I'm not sure any particular airline is safe from horrible experiences right now, though the low-cost carriers seem to be less in the news.

1 hour ago, hallux said:

True, I know a lot of people who's Air Canada flights are being cancelled as they cut I think 15% of their flights to cope with the amount of people traveling, now everyone is scrambling.

My manager flying back from France this week had her flight changed on her 3 times while in the airport and just made the flight from the UK to Canada

I wouldn't pick one over the other because no airline is immune from the operational issues we currently see. 

My wife had a DL flight cancelled whilst she was pulling up to the airport and for a NYC-Florida flight was offered 2 stops or flying two days later.

I've flown AA hundreds of times and rarely had any issues bar the odd weather/ATC related delay. 

If you're flying economy then just pick whichever works best timing wise and cost wise. If you're flying first class then there is more potential for far better seating (if you get an international aircraft operating then it could be flat bed seating for example). The Delta website will notate it as such with a little icon. The AA one isn't as obvious but if you see Boeing 77W or 772 or Airbus A321T as the aircraft type then it's flat beds in Business/First.

16 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

I live in Canada but am close to the border, I have a cruise in March and was looking at flights. If I fly from Canada it's at least $500 more than if I drive over to Detroit and just fly from there (not to mention it will be a direct flight).

Anyone have feedback on this airport and airlines? I typically fly Air Canada but looks like the options will be American or Delta neither of which I have flown with before

Where are you flying to?

Direct or non stop flight?

Be sure to allow for any bad weather  getting to the airport in winter  & flight delays

take in to account the currency exchange rate

But if closer to DTW   then take that one

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Where are you flying to?

Direct or non stop flight?

Be sure to allow for any bad weather  getting to the airport in winter  & flight delays

take in to account the currency exchange rate

But if closer to DTW   then take that one

2 hours ago, phabric said:

If you drive to Toronto, you can fly Air Transat.

I could drive to Toronto but that's like a 3.5 hour drive, Detroit is closer.

I'd be flying to Miami and can get non stop from Detroit, the border is a 20 min drive for me which was why I was looking to fly from there. I've just never been to that airport - doesn't look like it would be difficult to get to (I mover 2 months ago so haven't ventured over the border yet). It's in March so figured I'd plan on a few days early to leave to get there due to snow storms. I can work from the US for a few days from a hotel so going early isn't a problem there (I heard the horror stories from people flying days out early this year so was thinking of going 3 days early).

9 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

I'd be flying to Miami and can get non stop from Detroit, the border is a 20 min drive for me which was why I was looking to fly from there. I've just never been to that airport - doesn't look like it would be difficult to get to (I mover 2 months ago so haven't ventured over the border yet). It's in March so figured I'd plan on a few days early to leave to get there due to snow storms. I can work from the US for a few days from a hotel so going early isn't a problem there (I heard the horror stories from people flying days out early this year so was thinking of going 3 days early).

If you can get a non stop  then DTW  would be less hassle maybe

also check flights to FLL then Uber to Miami  if you are going down a few days early

JMO

Love the Detroit airport and definitely prefer Delta there.  Have flown both domestic and international from DTW and find it easy to navigate, with tram and multiple moving walkways.  There's a hotel right in the airport and dining choices are excellent, including a great sushi and noodles place.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2022 at 4:08 PM, Lena11033 said:

Detroit is a hub for Delta.  Miami is a hub for American.  

I generally like Delta and fly them more frequently than American.  That said, they are both about the same especially on that route.

Delta and WestJet partner with each other. If your in WestJets loyalty program you can credit points to your WestJet program.  However don't expect a lot from that loyalty program.

Edited by em-sk

Detroit is an easy airport to navigate.  I fly Delta out of Detroit quite a bit and the Delta Terminal is very easy to get around.  Good luck.  I take non stop any day any time of year. 

I flew through Detroit to Cape Town (Toronto-Detroit-Amsterdam-Cape Town) a number of years ago, and while I didn't deal with the outside of security, it was a pleasant experience within the airport. 

Speaking of flights, I just received notification that my Westjet flight to London UK in November has been cancelled (apparently Westjet don't fly to the UK after the end of October?), so now I get to try to find a new flight (flying in a week early to spend some time in London prior to getting on board the QM2 to come back across the Atlantic.) 

2 hours ago, neeuqdrazil said:

I flew through Detroit to Cape Town (Toronto-Detroit-Amsterdam-Cape Town) a number of years ago, and while I didn't deal with the outside of security, it was a pleasant experience within the airport. 

Speaking of flights, I just received notification that my Westjet flight to London UK in November has been cancelled (apparently Westjet don't fly to the UK after the end of October?), so now I get to try to find a new flight (flying in a week early to spend some time in London prior to getting on board the QM2 to come back across the Atlantic.) 

WestJet is still flying to Heathrow but it looks like only out of Calgary.  They are scaling back their Toronto operations.