The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday July 23rd, 2022

richwmn

The Tigers won 2 to 1 against the St. Louis team.  It was a very hard game against a good team, but the heat was oppressive and no breeze, full sun.  One Tiger went down retching and bringing his water back up.  Tomorrow is the finals against an Iowa team at 7:30 am.  I hope it's not a nail biter like today's was!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 9

3 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Last night I finally tried the chocolate covered ginger we bought in Charlottetown

Chocolate covered ginger, you say? Where did you manage to find such a wonderful and unique sounding confection?  I'll be in Charlottetown in a couple of weeks on the Zaandam. Please, do tell!

Edited by aeraen
more polite wording
  • Like 19
  • Haha 1

I wish I could have edited the last post to add this photo I saw on a Facebook page.  This is the Tigers at an event Monday at Wide World of Sports in Orlando before the games began on Tuesday.

Look at our female athlete Chloe in the middle.  I often wonder what the other teams think when they see the mighty Tigers show up with Chloe.  They are an equal opportunity team for sure!  She was out there today in the second half keeping up with the boys.  Ren is two players to her right (sixth from the left as we look at it).May be an image of 12 people and people standing

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Rowsby said:

After a lot of deliberation...I think I am going to cancel my trip to Waikiki....this would have been my 16th trip.....

Even though I am double-vaxxed and double-boosted....the new covid variance is just too contagious....and spending a month trying to dodge covid....just isn't sounding too appealing right now...

Hopefully the upcoming booster this fall will be effective...and I can re-book....!!!

Just wanted to warn everyone....I'm sure I'll have great big crocodile tears on the day I was suppose to fly out......:)

Pulmeria.jpg

Better  safe.  than  sorry.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, aeraen said:

Chocolate covered ginger, you say? Where did you manage to find such a wonderful and unique sounding confection?  I'll be in Charlottetown in a couple of weeks on the Zaandam. Please, do tell!

We got it at the Anne of Green Gables Chocolate store downtown.  We also picked up some chocolate covered potato chips but haven’t opened them yet.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kazu said:

@Sharon in AZnot sure on Shadow’s ETA - she leaves Egypt on the 26th and will be picked up in Toronto by designated temp fosters.  They will care for her a day or 2 and she will be picked up and driven to New Brunswick - hopefully, not far from here 🤞 

Then it really could be soon!  How exciting. I hope everything goes smoothly with her travels. I know she will be happy in her new home. 🐕‍🦺✈️❤️

• Like 23

Good morning!  Happy Saturday!  And Happy Birthday to Dixie @summer slope!

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser, I loved your pictures today. The ones in Nazareth are interesting. I will probably never get there so thank you for sharing. 

I love corn tortillas and thank you Tina @0106 for both the history and recipes today. I have a favorite brand that I buy and I think they are very good, Guerrero. And we had tacos yesterday so we’ve celebrated already.  I’ve even tried the ones Lenda mentioned, the flour tortillas that you cook at home. They are very good, they are in the fresh section at the deli at Safeway. My son told me about them and they are really good for quesadillas. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

A salute to cowboys. The only vanilla ice cream I like is Breyer's; I like other flavors more. Drowning prevention is so important; we've sadly had a couple of child drownings in pools this summer. 

Great quote. I've never made tortillas. Pass on the drink and wine.

I've never been to Haifa. Thanks for the photos @Quartzsite Cruiser.

It's already 86 and sunny here, in the 90's later. There was just a severe thunderstorm alert from now until 7PM. I had a nice (but $$$) dinner out with BFF last evening. No big plans for today; maybe I'll catch up on some stuff on the DVR.

@Rowsby Sad, but you have to do what you feel comfortable doing.

@StLouisCruisers Go Tigers! Sorry to hear the heat was so oppressive, even in the morning.

@kazu Love the flowers.

@summer slope Happy Birthday!

@dfish It sounds like you're having a great time!

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Happy Saturday.  Thank you all for the birthday wishes.  Staying home and doing carry-out.  Sorry for the cancelled vacations and those still suffering from Covid.

Watermelon Margarita cocktail:

Ingredients
1 1/2 parts Hornitos® Plata Tequila
1 part DeKuyper® Pucker® Watermelon Schnapps
1 part Fresh Lime Juice
1/2 part Simple Syrup (or Agave Syrup)
Garnish: Watermelon Slice

Instructions
Combine all ingredients into an ice-filled shaker and shake until well chilled. Strain into a chilled margarita glass over fresh ice. Garnish with a watermelon slice, and salt the rim of the glass if you’d like.

Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at 12.02.32 PM.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 6

Good Afternoon from a warm and sunny day at the beach

Just back from golf, it was hot with no breeze. Guess we are entering the summer doldrums. As long as a hurricane doesnt appear, I will deal with the heat.

Would have liked some vanilla ice cream this AM.   It is so heartbreaking when someone drowns. It so important to learn to swim and know water safety. So often the red flag ( dangerous conditions) is flying and people run right in.   

The quote by Anne Frank is a good one, she certainly was wise beyond her years.

@summer slope Happy Birthday to you! May you enjoy many more.

@StLouisCruisers  Excellent job by tour grandsons team. It is very hot in Orlando, very difficult if you are not used to it.  I was there yesterday and it was like being wrapped in heavy wet blanket. No air at all.

Tell your grandson to be careful and drink, not just water but something like gatorade .

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends. 

Happy Birthday Dixie! Congratulations Ren and Tigers!

Thank you to all contributors. Jacqui love your flowers. So much love and work.

It's 6:30 here on a beautiful morning on Maui. Better get a quick walk in before my sweetheart wakes up.

Prayers, and blessings and Cheers. Xx

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

I'm a little late this morning -- Jacquie @kazuyour meme about tossing and turning could have been me last night!  😉  

My neighbor is somewhat of a cowboy, his relatives live in Idaho and have a cattle ranch where he visits often. He also sings Country/Western locally.   I like vanilla ice cream but only as a means to put hot fudge on or as a side to a piece of pie or cake.  Drowning prevention is so important.  I remember being horrified when I heard that a grade school classmate had drowned in the local lake when he was in his late teens. 😞  

I like tortillas but won't be making them myself, will pass on the drink but the wine sounds like it would be good.  I only like Chardonnay if it has a little bit of oakiness.

We were in Haifa for 2 days on a Celebrity cruise in 2011.  We had 4 days in Israel because our 2 days in Egypt had to be cancelled.  I was thankful and still am, that I had been to Egypt in 2006.  Our other two days were in Ashdod, I'll save those photos for a day that Ashdod is the port of the day.

@RowsbySue I'm sorry you had to cancel your plans for Waikiki, but better safe than sorry.

@kazuJacqui and @ottahand7thank you for the photos of your beautiful flowers.

@StLouisCruisersSandi a big congratulations to the Tigers and to Ren!

@summer slopeDixie Happy Birthday!  and did someone say that it's also Robin's @Live4cruises' birthday also?  If so, happy birthday Robin!

Over our two days in Haifa we toured to Megiddo, Nazareth, The Sea of Galilee, and The River Jordan (where my sister and I went wading with a group).  I have so many photos, but will limit them to just a few.

Our ship, the Silhouette, docked in Haifa.  

288279781_SilhouetteinHaifa.thumb.jpg.75c082f1bb82e9ecfe2b8883da279d70.jpg

Megiddo, going up to the Northern Palace

Megiddo1.thumb.jpg.93a0750b817245a6bf58600965af42c7.jpg

Part of the palace

1171914124_NorthernPalace.thumb.jpg.4859411a1230b902e07f6928acc3dc30.jpg

A view of the Sea of Galilee

1773948474_SeaofGalilee1.thumb.jpg.599e685213c3db8b9ab645c67d79a2c7.jpg

Two more views

458671161_betterview.thumb.jpg.1699f11d432751e49f7b322b60207c05.jpg

1369369995_anotherviewofSeaofGalilee.thumb.jpg.38bc9d12864506fb4ff72c04b34f82a3.jpgEntering the baptismal site at the River Jordan

1958569265_baptismalsite.thumb.jpg.b01d1991811c081b3124e7b80c3dc695.jpg

I love this scene, so peaceful. My sister and I dipped our feet for a few minutes with a group.

1684159503_RiverJordan.thumb.jpg.7b174dd61141547db9bf7477f6f7b64d.jpg

Nazareth Church of Annunciation

1031808515_NazarethChurchofAnnunciation.thumb.jpg.816df83ff82cf1feab9c0dfc12360897.jpg

Dome of the Basilica

2024847738_domeofthebasilica.thumb.jpg.37c2addcc89d8a1938278b4161d5c454.jpg

Early Christians' homes in Nazareth

923800780_earlyChristianshomesinNazareth.thumb.jpg.af53c058b577297e5f4340575ce6169f.jpg

Baha'i Gardens

433500823_BahaiGardens1.thumb.jpg.76349c6fdd841331bfc6267bc8bf9ce3.jpg

And an early evening view of the gardens from our ship.

70929784_nighttimeviewgardens.thumb.jpg.749604326ec68f099755f832671b241d.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 8

4 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We did not go to Tel Aviv the day we were in Haifa.  Due to the cancellation of the port in Egypt, we spent two days in Ashdod.  The second day, we went to Tel Aviv, and this is what I posted on April 29, 2021.

The second day we were docked in Ashdod, we talked about finding a taxi to take us to Bethlehem, but after two long days spent in a taxi, we decided against going.  Along with another couple, we found a taxi in the port to take us to Jaffa and Tel Aviv.

If we're lucky enough to return to Ashdod, I want to find someone to take us to Bethlehem and Jerusalem for a slower walk in the Old City.

Jaffa is the ancient port for Jerusalem.  It is a town we really enjoyed.

DSC01971.thumb.JPG.f19858a335db4c34762df14520f6bef9.JPG

DSC01972.thumb.JPG.ae0d3fa4b1e5c15d5c4d93cf4824e601.JPGDSC01973.thumb.JPG.7b8e9fab77cd443fcecca4edb2d83cb0.JPG

DSC01978.thumb.JPG.2424f9bfa610c360ebb2e31ee61f742d.JPG

Looking from Jaffa toward Tel Aviv.DSC01989.thumb.JPG.6cdcf262c93211692160867966f12e3f.JPG

Our driver dropped us off at seaside promenade in Tel Aviv.

DSC01994.thumb.JPG.9923a10ec2e0e9d3a407de1b196c2764.JPG

After a short time along the sea, our next stop was a mall in downtown Tel Aviv, and we had an hour or so to wander around.  I'll confess we spent most of our time in the mall where we shared a pizza.

DSC02004.thumb.JPG.f09cb7db7d59608d8b2cb62db1a1e9c9.JPG

DSC02002.thumb.JPG.d5aa77ff31e6c71ddc6a201354dc98f4.JPG

A couple of street scenes in Tel Aviv taken from the car as we headed back to the Prinsendam.

DSC02006.thumb.JPG.0c415805fd74530f4aa3ffb2f273622f.JPG

DSC02007.thumb.JPG.9111997c62bdc393e44e63242c92f2cc.JPG

Lenda

Amazing photos Lenda.

Thank you so much for sharing them.

Graham.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

From Lenda's photos, here's that same view at night.

Baha'i Gardens70929784_nighttimeviewgardens.thumb.jpg.749604326ec68f099755f832671b241d.jpg

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI13RR3vGCidRs-xS1G6ang?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416772820

2014 on Prinsendam.  Thanks for everyone's photos today.  I noticed I didn't post photos back on Dec. 21.  There were many other photos and I suppose I didn't want to just repeat other's photos.  I'm so grateful we had the opportunity to see some of Israel on that Holy Land cruise.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Happy Saturday.  Thank you all for the birthday wishes.  Staying home and doing carry-out.  Sorry for the cancelled vacations and those still suffering from Covid.

Watermelon Margarita cocktail:

Ingredients
1 1/2 parts Hornitos® Plata Tequila
1 part DeKuyper® Pucker® Watermelon Schnapps
1 part Fresh Lime Juice
1/2 part Simple Syrup (or Agave Syrup)
Garnish: Watermelon Slice

Instructions
Combine all ingredients into an ice-filled shaker and shake until well chilled. Strain into a chilled margarita glass over fresh ice. Garnish with a watermelon slice, and salt the rim of the glass if you’d like.

Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at 12.02.32 PM.png

I am so sorry Dixie! How this special day slipped past me, I do not know!

A special birthday wish to my beverage department colleague! May your new year be filled with laughter, love, great health & a cruise or two!

EDF1B8A2-F056-497A-A48D-8FC8DDEC4CE8.jpeg

• Like 20

Good morning (it's still morning here), thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  DH's uncle was a true cowboy - he broke his last horse when he was 83 and lived healthfully until his passing when he was 92.  Ice cream is a great vessel for other flavours.  Drowning prevention is so important; our son was awarded the Royal Lifesaving Award medallion a couple of years ago when he saved a young boy's life while we were all at a lake not far from Calgary.  Those swimming lessons early in life paid off.

It's been a difficult morning for us - we woke to the news that a dear cruising friend had passed away.  We met on our first trans-Atlantic in 2014 and although we lived thousands of miles apart, kept the friendship going by getting together a few times over the years.   You know how you meet people and you have a special bond?  That's how the 4 of us were; when we got together, it was like we just picked up from where we left off.  We'll always remember him at Happy Hour because he was always the first one of the 4 of us to get there to have a seat.  LOL  He will be missed, but Heaven will be a funnier place with him there now.

Today is a cool day, certainly not tank top and shorts weather; it looks like we may even get some rain later this afternoon, as the clouds are building and look very heavy with moisture.  I think I'll spend time indoors working on sewing more bags and/or knitting little blankets.  DH wants to use part of the afternoon to organize stuff in his garage - there's so much stuff!!!

@RowsbyI feel your pain having to cancel a cruise, but know you've made the right decision for now.

@StLouisCruiserscongrats to the Tigers; good luck for tomorrow!

@kazuyour flowers are always so beautiful, thanks for sharing them with us.

@summer slopea very Happy Birthday to you!

I like today's menu suggestion, but haven't ever made tortillas from scratch.  Our friends cooked up so many ribs yesterday that they sent home a care package for us, so all I have to do is make a potato salad this afternoon and we'll be set for dinner.  It's definitely going to be ribs and salad for the 2 of us on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra for the people of Ukraine and all who are providing aid - let's hope their grain does get distributed to the rest of the world.  We'll raise our glasses tonight to celebrate our friend and all who make up the happy list.  Stay safe, get your boosters, be well and wear masks when needed.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 5

@Cruising-along, thank you for the good wishes, which I happily accept!  Regardless of the fact that my birthday is in November (15)!   I do my best celebrating when it is cooler.  

@summer slope, a very happy celebration to you!

@StLouisCruisers, great photo of the Tigers and a great win!

Best to all - keep cool!

Covid watch - we’re both still feeling good, just a bit paranoid.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Then it really could be soon!  How exciting. I hope everything goes smoothly with her travels. I know she will be happy in her new home. 🐕‍🦺✈️❤️

Oh yes, it is soon - sooner than originally thought.  I like that she’s being driven rather than flown again.  Much easier on the dog IMO.  Hopefully she will be happy - a bit of trepidation on training her.  LOL.

8 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

It's been a difficult morning for us - we woke to the news that a dear cruising friend had passed away.  We met on our first trans-Atlantic in 2014 and although we lived thousands of miles apart, kept the friendship going by getting together a few times over the years.   You know how you meet people and you have a special bond?  That's how the 4 of us were; when we got together, it was like we just picked up from where we left off.  We'll always remember him at Happy Hour because he was always the first one of the 4 of us to get there to have a seat.  LOL  He will be missed, but Heaven will be a funnier place with him there now.

I so very sorry to hear this, Gerry 😔. Prayers for him, his family and friends - including you two.  🙏🏻   It seems we are losing too many good people lately 😢 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

24 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

I'm so sorry, Gerry, my deepest condolences. 

We lost a cruising friend a few years ago who was just like that to us so I get it. 😞  

22 minutes ago, Live4cruises said:

@Cruising-along, thank you for the good wishes, which I happily accept!  Regardless of the fact that my birthday is in November (15)!   I do my best celebrating when it is cooler. 

LOL -- I don't know why I thought I'd seen somewhere that it's your birthday 😉  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2