Edge class - exquisite no?

johnnylikely

1 hour ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

A lot of it depends on the type of cabin you book.  The Edge design was focused on making an improved suite class experience and based on most reports Celebrity hit the mark.  If you not in a suite, there is very little to benefit the non-suite guest.  If you enjoy spending time on the balcony and you're not in a suite, you will likely be disappointed.

We have done both suite and non suite on E class, and just like S & M class the suite experience is   great on all of them.  But the non-suite experience is also excellent.  We have both suite & non-suite booking on future E class sailing. 

For us the E class does have benefits to the non-suite guest, a big one is the 4 MDRs vs 1.  The pool is nicer on E class, Eden offers a additional lunch and breakfast option for everyone and the Club is a great mullti use space.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

was on the Apex TA in a April 

Eden is nice to look at once , after that it looks like a big waste of space 

the 4 dinning rooms are nice after that it all down hill after that

Bacio is completely over powered by the music coming from the Martin Bar ! 

No place for the Egg drop Contest! 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, jelayne said:

We have done both suite and non suite on E class, and just like S & M class the suite experience is   great on all of them.  But the non-suite experience is also excellent.  We have both suite & non-suite booking on future E class sailing. 

For us the E class does have benefits to the non-suite guest, a big one is the 4 MDRs vs 1.  The pool is nicer on E class, Eden offers a additional lunch and breakfast option for everyone and the Club is a great mullti use space.   

4 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

was on the Apex TA in a April 

the 4 dinning rooms are nice after that it all down hill after that

Bacio is completely over powered by the music coming from the Martin Bar ! 

No place for the Egg drop Contest! 😁

I'm always surprised at the comments in favor of the 4 dining rooms vs 1.  Is it mainly that they're smaller/quieter? The menus are predominantly the same, save for the few specific items.  They seem to have less "glitz and glimmer" than the MDR on S & M class 

3 minutes ago, D C said:

I'm always surprised at the comments in favor of the 4 dining rooms vs 1.  Is it mainly that they're smaller/quieter? The menus are predominantly the same, save for the few specific items.  They seem to have less "glitz and glimmer" than the MDR on S & M class 

Mainly because it is quieter 

32 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I’m 59, I love the music in the bar areas on the E Class.. 🙂

Me too but it could be because I remove my Cochlear device when I’m in loud spaces 🦻🏻

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, D C said:

Sunset Bar is 100% unshaded and looks like an afterthought. Shaded places in general are few for that matter. 

11 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

heh, it's fun how two different people can see the same thing and feel completely differently about it. I guess that's why it's nice to have lots of choices! I'd say that the Sunset Bar and Eden were tied for our favorite places on the ship. We liked the quiet and the intimacy of the Sunset Bar, and thought that Eden was the perfect place to relax (usually far more mellow than the other venues). In fact, we just sailed the Beyond and were disappointed that they expanded the Sunset bar to the point where it kind of lost its charm. (I'm sure most people will see the expanded Sunset bar as a huge improvement though.)

6 hours ago, D C said:

We like it because it's quieter, but we're also not creatures of habit--being able to change things up on a long sailing is really nice, even if the menus are substantially the same. And, honestly, a lot of the restaurant-specific menu items have been some of our favorite dishes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, D C said:

Quieter more relaxed.  They feel like a nice restaurant rather than a huge dining hall.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sykes said:

heh, it's fun how two different people can see the same thing and feel completely differently about it. I guess that's why it's nice to have lots of choices! I'd say that the Sunset Bar and Eden were tied for our favorite places on the ship. We liked the quiet and the intimacy of the Sunset Bar, and thought that Eden was the perfect place to relax (usually far more mellow than the other venues). In fact, we just sailed the Beyond and were disappointed that they expanded the Sunset bar to the point where it kind of lost its charm. (I'm sure most people will see the expanded Sunset bar as a huge improvement though.)

We like it because it's quieter, but we're also not creatures of habit--being able to change things up on a long sailing is really nice, even if the menus are substantially the same. And, honestly, a lot of the restaurant-specific menu items have been some of our favorite dishes.

We certainly tended towards Normandie for the Beef Tenderloin en Croute

• Like 1

I think its great that there are different options for different tastes, both within the cruise line itself and onboard.  My partner and I fell absolutely in love with Apex and also enjoyed Edge but missed the upgrades (mostly added shade on Apex). We adored Eden on Apex but happy not everyone does so that its not always crowded.  Main limitation for us is we wouldn't do an IV, but fortunately we have been able to sail in Sky Suites. 

I wonder if the younger demo (we are early 40s) may be a better fit for E-class, or perhaps it is just very individualized.  My wife now refuses to sail any cruise line but Celebrity and only E-class she loved it so much, particularly the gorgeous design and art. 

I thought a recent review of Equinox by Zach the Travelling Man on Youtube was an interesting comparison from a person who had previously only sailed on E-class.  Sounds like staffing is still a real problem. Not sure if Cruise Critic will allow me to link to it but here is a try: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I've never heard of anyone describing the MDR on the S or M-class ships as a huge dining hall.  😏

Well now  you have. 😉  That’s what it feels like to us, you apparently don’t feel that way which is fine.  

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Well now  you have. 😉  That’s what it feels like to us, you apparently don’t feel that way which is fine.  

I agree with you about dining room size on Edge class vs S or M class.  Pretty sure the person who questioned you has never stepped on an E Class ship.

Love E-Class. I think the 3 Celebrity classes have a unique approach that I enjoy very much, but E-Class is my favorite.

Surprised by some of the comments: More passengers? No. Not as many as S-Class and I think as in the other Celebrity ships, E-Class has designed the common venues to be Very accommodating. Not sure why the Luminae location is questioned. Just fine. I think the Eden area is fantastic. Love the wraparound the stern and more private areas to sit and enjoy. Great bar and Great view.

Agree and miss the forward viewing, and atrium music can be annoying in other areas, but Nothing like when a band is playing in the S-Class Foyer and All open decks above are impacted. 

I personally enjoy the Infinite Verandas as a change.

I’m not looking for the same venue in ship after ship after ship.

den

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I will never sail an IV again, what a joke! 

I think the Retreat is worth it. I am going to try the Beyond in the Retreat to check out some of the changes. 

Other than the IV I wasn’t satisfied with the public space. There were some evenings we couldn’t find a place to sit and have a drink before dinner. So anyone that has only experienced E class post Covid hasn’t experienced a full passenger load and how crowded the public spaces are. 

My favorite is S class.

9 minutes ago, BettyCruiser said:

I will never sail an IV again, what a joke! 

I think the Retreat is worth it. I am going to try the Beyond in the Retreat to check out some of the changes. 

Other than the IV I wasn’t satisfied with the public space. There were some evenings we couldn’t find a place to sit and have a drink before dinner. So anyone that has only experienced E class post Covid hasn’t experienced a full passenger load and how crowded the public spaces are. 

My favorite is S class.

I made two Edge cruises in 2019 full capacity and did not experience what you did. Not crowded, except in Eden when they put on one of the ‘shows’ that was done then. Rest of the time was no different than what we’ve seen on S-Class. 

Den

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Denny01 said:

I made two Edge cruises in 2019 full capacity and did not experience what you did. Not crowded, except in Eden when they put on one of the ‘shows’ that was done then. Rest of the time was no different than what we’ve seen on S-Class. 

Den

I would have to agree with you 100%. Sailed twice Pre pandemic on the Edge and always able to get a seat in the Grand Plaza during happy hour. 

The Beyond was nearly 100% full on our sailing two weeks ago and we also never had difficulty finding a seat at any bar or venue, except if we arrived late for one of the Eden shows. There weren't a ton of open seats, but we could always find room for our party of 5.

6 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I would have to agree with you 100%. Sailed twice Pre pandemic on the Edge and always able to get a seat in the Grand Plaza during happy hour. 

I wish you could find a seat in the Sky Lounge at Happy Hour on any E-class ship.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 7/25/2022 at 4:30 AM, NutsAboutGolf said:

As you can imagine, this has been discussed on CC hundreds of times.

- No forward viewing lounge

- Despite having more passengers they didn't proportionally increase seating at bars; this was somewhat corrected on the Beyond with larger martini and sunset bars

- Blu is in a bizarre location, seems to be shoehorned in

- Atrium music plays loudly and flows into fine cut steakhouse

- Hot tubs are above the pool, if you want a drink you have to walk down a level

- No library

- No board game room

- While Eden is on multiple levels with various seating, not many face the "stage" so when it gets busy you might be able to see the stage

- Not sure if it's corrected with wind protection but the magic carpet and rooftop grill suffer from wind

That's what I remember, I don't have a problem with most of them

I loved the beautiful Beyond but do recognise a few of the above, specifically really missed there was no upper forward lounge (non suite). DH likes to take his drawing equipment and sit looking out to sea away from the heat and glare of the sun. 

Found we didn't use Eden much, went there a couple of times for events but seating not comfortable and sight lines mean you miss most things unless lucky to get a good seat. OK for a drink I guess and nice music played

Missed not having a wrap round deck to walk off dinner in the evening

Loved the art, sunset bar, theatre,  Solarium, pool long enough to do lengths and plunge pools

Liked the IV balcony and the decor. Loved the big shower, concierge cabin

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 1