Edge class - exquisite no?

johnnylikely

I've done a lot of Solstice class ships so when Edge class ships were announced, I couldn't wait to try.

The reviews of the Edge have been good, but not amazing.

I just tried the Edge for myself and was blown away. By far and away my fave ship- stunning, luxury, it's clear the billion dollars they spent went into it.

Wondered why (other than the not great infinite balconies) people didn't like it!

• Like 9

As you can imagine, this has been discussed on CC hundreds of times.

- No forward viewing lounge

- Despite having more passengers they didn't proportionally increase seating at bars; this was somewhat corrected on the Beyond with larger martini and sunset bars

- Blu is in a bizarre location, seems to be shoehorned in

- Atrium music plays loudly and flows into fine cut steakhouse

- Hot tubs are above the pool, if you want a drink you have to walk down a level

- No library

- No board game room

- While Eden is on multiple levels with various seating, not many face the "stage" so when it gets busy you might be able to see the stage

- Not sure if it's corrected with wind protection but the magic carpet and rooftop grill suffer from wind

That's what I remember, I don't have a problem with most of them

Edited by NutsAboutGolf
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, johnnylikely said:

I've done a lot of Solstice class ships so when Edge class ships were announced, I couldn't wait to try.

I just tried the Edge for myself and was blown away. By far and away my fave ship- stunning, luxury, it's clear the billion dollars they spent went into it.

Wondered why (other than the not great infinite balconies) people didn't like it!

Only sailed on EDGE once, but like you I was blown away .  A once/year cruiser here and have done a few NCL, Carnival (one and done) Princess and Summit (pre-refurb) and EDGE was by far and away the best I’ve experienced so far.

• Like 4

Love the Edge class ships. Eden is spectacular with its multi-level seating and  view. We enjoy the expanded Retreat and Retreat deck with pool: love those swing chairs!

Not all that fond of the gloomy gallery between Blu and Eden, though that’s minor. Haven’t experienced the “virtual” balconies, or whatever they are called. Beautiful ship all around IMHO..

All set to board the Apex in 7 days for a 19 day b2b!

Edited by sunpsyche
  • Like 3

I agree with most of those 'flaws' listed above, but we still loved the Edge.  I think the good outweighs the bad--especially those huge floor-to-ceiling windows allowing for stunning views from so many different places. And while catering to a more limited audience, the placement and proximity of all the Retreat spaces is much better than the Millennium class ships (we've not cruised on the Silhouette yet).  But to each their own.

• Like 2

Tried Edge once and will never sail on an E-class again.  Horrible ship.  Dark and foreboding.  Dangerous stairs.  Corridors that go nowhere.  Really a poorly designed and ugly ship.  And what is with that forrest of black trees from the planet Trappist IVb?  Really really overpriced shops.

Edited by Ride-The-Waves
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Our first cruise with Celebrity will be this January on the Apex, so we're hoping it makes a great first impression for us. We do have a second cruise on the Summit later next year too so if Apex doesn't wow us perhaps the smaller ship experience will charm us more.

You really have to experience it for yourself. I've been on Edge a few times and Beyond once and really wonder if some of the comments I read are regarding the same ship. They are all over the place and a lot of them are a little over the top. Yes the ships are different but there is still quite a bit of consistency in certain things compared to S class ships.

I sailed on Reflection in April, Beyond in May, Reflection again in September and Beyond again after that.  The April Reflection cruise was underwhelming overall but I don't think it had anything to do with the ship itself but from here on out I would very likely choose E over S class every time. Just try it! 

• Like 3

I love the E-class ships, was only on Apex, but was I absolutely loved it. I have 2 more cruises booked on Beyond.  I can't really comment on the IV staterooms because I've only been in aft cabins on all my cruises, doubt I'd like them, but will probably never know.  Any issues I had on Apex were Celebrity issues, not the ship.

• Like 1

Hi,

I have cruised aboard the three major Celebrity ship classes fairly recently: Summit in July 2021, Reflection in February 2022 and Apex in April 2022. I greatly enjoyed all three of these ships, but I was particularly impressed with the Apex. I think its innovative and modern design is stunning. In fact, I have booked cruises on the Beyond for 2023 and the Ascent for 2024.

Chuck

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Tried Edge once and will never sail on an E-class again.  Horrible ship.  Dark and foreboding.  Dangerous stairs.  Corridors that go nowhere.  Really a poorly designed and ugly ship.  And what is with that forrest of black trees from the planet Trappist IVb?  Really really overpriced shops.

Clearly not for you... LOL

Our group experience showed that everyone enjoyed the ship and its' presentation.

bon voyage

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Edge is like a floating work of art. There's something interesting to look at everywhere on the ship while at the same time not loosing her connection with the sea. She's certainly not without her flaws--some corrected on Apex and Beyond--but what ship is?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Hated my edge cruise and won’t book another in that class.  Hate greige (gray-beige). 

even the Christmas decorations were gray.

I love gray, esp my dark gray sofa and dove gray accent walls, and my gray Accord, that said loving or hating a color, def would not be the determining factor in booking a cruise, my car maybe...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

At this point in time, I am so happy to cruise.  E-class is my choice, but that doesn't mean I would not do S-class for itinerary.  I prefer to cruise in a suite, but also love the SV's and four dining rooms.  I love new, so I also have a b2b/TA on Beyond, along with Apex and a couple cruises on Edge; however, just being onboard a cruise ship in, or to Europe is heaven for me.  The colors do not bother me at all, as long as, the experience is good.  What I do not like is all the testing, quarantine and inefficiency that Covid has created.  Other than that, personal choice is always good!

We prefer E-class over S-class, but certainly wouldn't avoid S class. Have done 5 E-class so far with 5 more scheduled -- and, yes , I would even book an IV !!! (although prefer the retreat).

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc

15 hours ago, johnnylikely said:

A lot of it depends on the type of cabin you book.  The Edge design was focused on making an improved suite class experience and based on most reports Celebrity hit the mark.  If you not in a suite, there is very little to benefit the non-suite guest.  If you enjoy spending time on the balcony and you're not in a suite, you will likely be disappointed.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, asnaleah said:

I prefer the S class balconies for RS and CS. Really only important in the Caribbean or when are lots of sea days.

M class royal suite balconies are huge with a small hot tub. 

16 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

As you can imagine, this has been discussed on CC hundreds of times.

- No forward viewing lounge

- Despite having more passengers they didn't proportionally increase seating at bars; this was somewhat corrected on the Beyond with larger martini and sunset bars

- Blu is in a bizarre location, seems to be shoehorned in

- Atrium music plays loudly and flows into fine cut steakhouse

- Hot tubs are above the pool, if you want a drink you have to walk down a level

- No library

- No board game room

- While Eden is on multiple levels with various seating, not many face the "stage" so when it gets busy you might be able to see the stage

- Not sure if it's corrected with wind protection but the magic carpet and rooftop grill suffer from wind

That's what I remember, I don't have a problem with most of them

Good start! I'll add... 

Sunset Bar is 100% unshaded and looks like an afterthought. Shaded places in general are few for that matter. 

The Rooftop and Magic Carpet still suffer from wind. 

The layout doesn't flow, as mentioned with the all-purpose atrium. 

Lots of style. Not lots of comfort. 

The IVs are enough to make us avoid the E-class, but we still wouldn't care for it with normal balconies.   

Not to mention that X thinks E-class is worth $1000 more than a comparable S or M itinerary. (balcony) 

Edited by D C
  • Like 3