New to Princess but not to cruising

Sunshine7272

Hi I’m going on a med cruise with Princess next month. From Southampton. On Enchanted ship.

I’ve previously been on cruises with P and O so I’m wondering .. is Princess a lot different ? Also:

1) Is the next day itinerary put in cabin the night before like p and o or is everything app based?

2) Are the formal nights similar?

3) Any recommendations for things to take that I might not have thought of?

4) Are pool towels stacked up near the pool?

5) Are the plug sockets European /American or both? Has everyone been ok using GHD straightners .. those that do 🙂

6) Is the hairdryer in the room ok or am I better to take my own?

7) I’m going for a week, is there usually one formal night or two ?

Im not a newbie to cruises as such but as I’ve only been with P and O it feels new in some ways .. any help/advice would be lovely. Thank you 

1. In the app, under preferences you can request a paper patter. I think they’re trying to go fully digital. On my last cruise, even the people in our group who did not request a paper patter still received one but I’m not sure if that always happens 

2. I think so

3. If you’re interested in specialty dining, go ahead and book it 

4. yes towels are easily found near the pools

5. yes, both sockets. I don’t bring a straightener but my curling iron has worked fine

6. I honestly don’t mind the hairdryer 

7. you will have two formal nights on a seven day cruise 

I'd just say that depending on the mix of nationalities, formal nights are less formal than on P&O. 

I assume you have Princess Plus ? All prices are in $ and 18% service charge is added to the drink prices.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I'd just say that depending on the mix of nationalities, formal nights are less formal than on P&O. 

I assume you have Princess Plus ? All prices are in $ and 18% service charge is added to the drink prices.

To clarify, the Princess Plus package includes the 18% service charge. A separate tip is not necessary. 

Edited by sloopsailor

29 minutes ago, sloopsailor said:

To clarify, the Princess Plus package includes the 18% service charge. A separate tip is not necessary. 

Sorry, I was not very clear. I meant that if PP was not purchased, there was 18% service charge to be added.

As the OP had only been with P&O,  where the price you see is the price you pay,  I wanted to highlight the extra hidden cost on Princess.

Why doesn't Princess just roll the service charge into the price ?

26 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Sorry, I was not very clear. I meant that if PP was not purchased, there was 18% service charge to be added.

As the OP had only been with P&O,  where the price you see is the price you pay,  I wanted to highlight the extra hidden cost on Princess.

Why doesn't Princess just roll the service charge into the price ?

There are many reasons why the service charge is not included in the price. One of them is the tax system in the many foreign countries the crew are from. People from many of those countries will have income taxes determined by their contracted upon salary, which does not include tip income. Since the staff then only pays taxes on the "official" wages, which does not include tips, their final income tax owed is less. If tips were included in the fare and staff were paid "fair wages", which means something different in each country, they would end up paying significantly higher taxes into their government's tax system because tips would be included in that "official" wage, greatly raising their total wages to be reported.

The current system helps the staff by keeping more of their total income earned in their own pockets, not the government's. If you care about the staff and want them to be paid fairly, then you should be grateful of the tip system many cruise lines use. You in the end pay the same amount of total money (the service charge is either included in higher fares, or paid additional to lower fares, resulting in the same money paid in the end), and the staff keeps more of their wages by being required to report only part of it.

That to me is a win-win.

In my opinion, if a person can afford to cruise, including travel before and after the cruise, money spent in ports, and money spent on the ship during the cruise, they can easily afford to help the crew by not suddenly watching their budget only where the crew are concerned. I gladly pay whatever is recommended without complaint. The crew deserves it. 

Edited by sloopsailor
  • Like 1

3) Any recommendations for things to take that I might not have thought of? Common OTC meds. They are expensive on the ship. If you are a wine drinker you can carry 1 x 750ml bottle of wine per person, 18 and over, without charge for use in your cabin. If the bottle is brought to a public area there is a $20 corkage fee. Pour in your cabin and carry the glass. If you have the plus or premier fares, most alcoholic beverages up to 15 per day,  nonalcoholic beverages including coffees, fountain sodas and others, excludes canned sodas, daily gratuities and wifi is included. If you have Carnival Corp stock you can apply for OBC. If you are a military vet there you are also eligible for OBC. Check out Carnival shareholder benefit and Princess military benefit on line for details.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sunshine7272 said:

Hi I’m going on a med cruise with Princess next month. From Southampton. On Enchanted ship.

I’ve previously been on cruises with P and O so I’m wondering .. is Princess a lot different ? Also:

1) Is the next day itinerary put in cabin the night before like p and o or is everything app based?

5) Are the plug sockets European /American or both? Has everyone been ok using GHD straightners .. those that do 🙂

Im not a newbie to cruises as such but as I’ve only been with P and O it feels new in some ways .. any help/advice would be lovely. Thank you 

I believe the answer to #1 is it will only be the paper version if requested, otherwise I believe you will see it on the medallion app under the Journey view time line.

8 hours ago, Sunshine7272 said:

1) The itinerary is called the Princess Patter. As of my last Princess cruise (March 2022) they do not deliver the Patter anymore it is on the app, but my cruise they did have Patters available at the Front Desk. I am a very early riser, my DW is not. I'd go to the International Cafe at 6AM or so, get a coffee, read a bit and maybe go to the gym. I'd pick up a Patter while I was down at the IC.

2) No, "Formal Nights" on Princess are much less formal than P&O. I think it is a cultural difference. Princess is a California based division of CCL and very California in many ways.

3) Meds, sunscreen, binoculars..

4) Yes, most the pools have pool towels stacked

5) Can't help because I didn't really notice. I just knew they had plugs for my laptop and phone charger.

6) If you are picky, take your own.

7) Normally a 7 day would have two formal Formal Nights, but if you only have 1 Sea Day, it could be one Formal Night and one Dress To Impress Night.

2 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

My DW absolutely hates their hair dryers, she always brings her own.  She says they are too weak.

I don't bring my own hair dryer, but I agree that the ones on Princess are not as powerful as I am used to.  I just don't want to pack anything extra.  Plus, I often just let my hair air-dry.

51 minutes ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

I just don't want to pack anything extra. 

2 minutes ago, nini said:

Hairdryers take up luggage space.

I've lost that argument with my DW, you should see all the shoes she brings!  😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

I am so sorry about that! We are trying to reduce what we pack. However, I have to say that reducing shoes can be a very tough process!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We simply asked the Steward to provide us with the Princess Patter when we met him the first day of the cruise. It was on our bed each evening when we returned to the cabin. The listing in the app is horrid to work with.

If you want to have the daily events on your phone simply open a browser window and enter the address: shipname.princess.com.  In your case enter enchanted.princess.com and you will get the old version of the electronic Patter. It's vastly easier to navigate. You may want to create a bookmark for the site and put a link on the main screen of your device.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

while researching for our first cruise in 2018 on cruise critic, someone said they went on a 7 day cruise with their sister and between them they had 37 pairs of shoes! I think I took 3-4 pairs for our 13 night cruise in 2018

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, sloopsailor said:

There are many reasons why the service charge is not included in the price. One of them is the tax system in the many foreign countries the crew are from. People from many of those countries will have income taxes determined by their contracted upon salary, which does not include tip income. Since the staff then only pays taxes on the "official" wages, which does not include tips, their final income tax owed is less. If tips were included in the fare and staff were paid "fair wages", which means something different in each country, they would end up paying significantly higher taxes into their government's tax system because tips would be included in that "official" wage, greatly raising their total wages to be reported.

The current system helps the staff by keeping more of their total income earned in their own pockets, not the government's. If you care about the staff and want them to be paid fairly, then you should be grateful of the tip system many cruise lines use. You in the end pay the same amount of total money (the service charge is either included in higher fares, or paid additional to lower fares, resulting in the same money paid in the end), and the staff keeps more of their wages by being required to report only part of it.

That to me is a win-win.

In my opinion, if a person can afford to cruise, including travel before and after the cruise, money spent in ports, and money spent on the ship during the cruise, they can easily afford to help the crew by not suddenly watching their budget only where the crew are concerned. I gladly pay whatever is recommended without complaint. The crew deserves it. 

So, why do Princess not add the 18% to the advertised price of drinks, and then state that the prices include the service charge ? No issues regarding taxation etc, and much easier to administer.

Same end result,  and the customer sees the price they will be charged.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, wowzz said:

So, why do Princess not add the 18% to the advertised price of drinks, and then state that the prices include the service charge ? No issues regarding taxation etc, and much easier to administer.

Same end result,  and the customer sees the price they will be charged.

They would then have to change the conditions for their Princess Plus package. As it is, one can order any drink up to and including a price of $12. The gratuity doesn't figure into it as it's "covered" by the package. They would have to include anything up to and including $14.16 including gratuity which would make things weird and awkward.

Edited by Thrak

5 minutes ago, Thrak said:

They would then have to change the conditions for their Princess Plus package. As it is, one can order any drink up to and including a price of $12. The gratuity doesn't figure into it as it's "covered" by the package. They would have to include anything up to and including $14.16 including gratuity which would make things weird and awkward.

Just increase the maximum drink price on the package to $15.  It would make no difference to Princess, as the revenue would remain the same. 

22 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Just increase the maximum drink price on the package to $15.  It would make no difference to Princess, as the revenue would remain the same. 

LOL! You Brits are sure tenacious about challenging the service charges, aren't you? It's easy to understand what they are, but you still beat that poor dead horse over and over again.

Whenever I travel to a foreign country (which being on an American based cruise ship is similar to), I follow the "When in Rome, do as the Romans do" approach instead of challenging everything about my visit there. I don't challenge why I need to drive on the wrong side of the road in your country, or challenge the use of different words used for things I am familiar with at home (why is the hood of a car called a "bonnet"?), or challenge why some of my favorite food items aren't available in any of your restaurants (are you saying that you don't serve chitlins here??). 

Just go with the flow. Your cruise will be so much more relaxed if you don't continually "Tilt at Windmills". (Man of LaMacha reference for you non Brits here)  LOL!!

Happy (and relaxed) cruising to you!!

Tilt at windmills.JPG

Edited by sloopsailor
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, sloopsailor said:

You Brits are sure tenacious about challenging the service charges, aren't you

If you read my post, I am not challenging the service charges. 

All I am suggesting is that the service charges be rolled into the overall price. The staff would still get the 18%. and the customer knows exactly the price of the drink. Win/win . 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

If you read my post, I am not challenging the service charges. 

All I am suggesting is that the service charges be rolled into the overall price. The staff would still get the 18%. and the customer knows exactly the price of the drink. Win/win . 

It’s definitely cultural: in the shops in the US, the tax rate is added at the tills and the prices quoted on the goods are less tax. We, on the other hand, have the final cost of the item which includes the VAT shown on goods. Therefore, Princess, being a US line, follows the standard way transactions are made in their country. Yes, it seems ludicrous to us that you don’t know how much the final cost for the item is initially, but I’m sure they would feel the same if they sailed on P&O (not that I personally do - again, horses for courses).

18 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

That's one thing I have trouble reducing too!  I'd like to just bring 3--walking shoes to wear on the plane, one pair of heels (wedges) and one pair of sandals but I usually cave and add at least two more pairs.  Luckily my feet are fairly small!  I need options, plus I have had sandals that I had been wearing for quite a while that still made blisters and sore spots when worn all day.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

That's one thing I have trouble reducing too!  I'd like to just bring 3--walking shoes to wear on the plane, one pair of heels (wedges) and one pair of sandals but I usually cave and add at least two more pairs.  Luckily my feet are fairly small!  I need options, plus I have had sandals that I had been wearing for quite a while that still made blisters and sore spots when worn all day.

That’s always my argument too: I have the smallest feet in our house, so I can take double the amount of footwear as my DH & sons as mine are half the size 😆.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, villauk said:

It’s definitely cultural: in the shops in the US, the tax rate is added at the tills and the prices quoted on the goods are less tax. We, on the other hand, have the final cost of the item which includes the VAT shown on goods. Therefore, Princess, being a US line, follows the standard way transactions are made in their country. Yes, it seems ludicrous to us that you don’t know how much the final cost for the item is initially, but I’m sure they would feel the same if they sailed on P&O (not that I personally do - again, horses for courses).

The reason the US companies don't add in the final sales tax price into product is because unlike Europe where there is one VAT rate for each country, the US has over 11,000 different sales tax jurisdictions with state/county/cities all having their different concept on how much sales tax to impose. Thus it's impossible to know the "final price" as they can't imbed just one tax rate as in the US, there are different "layers" of state/county/city tax as every city has a right to charge different sales tax rate as they please.

The US sales tax rate can be as low as 0% at handful of states or over 10% at some states when you add in the state/county/city rates.  So when a US consumer sees an item on Amazon online for $100, they may end up paying anywhere from $100 to $110 when the product arrives at their front door as sales tax is charged based on their "ship to" address. Someone living in Oregon has 0% sales tax rate but California at next state at some cities is over 10% tax rate.

I live in an area where different cities charges different rates such that a $100 table at the local Walmart is $110 after taxes but if I drive 15 miles to the next town's Walmart, the same exact table will cost me $109 as that city has lower tax rate.

• Like 1