Permission to stay night on land during RCCL cruise

I believe there should not be a problem -- but you should consider the possibility that weather, or some other unanticipated, event could cause your ship to not call at the next scheduled port.  Are you aware of such contingincies?

And, have you considered the possibility that you might be violating the immigration laws of that country?

Edited by navybankerteacher

1 hour ago, oneandone said:

Is it  possible to get permission to stay one night on land during a RCCL cruise? The next port is a few hours away in the same country and we would drive to get back on there.

Royal no longer allows downlining and this is very similar.  I would be surprised if they allowed this.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Royal no longer allows downlining and this is very similar.  I would be surprised if they allowed this.

That's exactly what I was thinking, ot wouldnt be allowed post covid. I was surprised at the replies tbh. 

I'd go with ourusualbeach here. 

20 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

And, have you considered the possibility that you might be violating the immigration laws of that country?

This is a very important factor. There are special allowances/requirements for cruise ship stops so a lot depends on where you want to do this. Ship needs permission to sail so you would definitely need to notify in advance.

Many countries have cabotage laws that apply to foreign carriers so it might not be as easy as one would think.  There can be weird regulations that are not always obvious in play but that all depends.  

Cruises go into international water 12 miles offshore overnight so a new entry the next day still requires they present a passenger manifest for immigration clearance.  A neatly sealed manifest one day to the next is easy for immigration to accept.   Modifying a passenger manifest mid-cruise raises red flags.  Sometimes they have to do that for events like medical evacuations but it still can raise a flag for clearance purposes and its more paperwork for a cruise line.  

Depending on the circumstances it might seem like it should be easy but that doesn't mean it always is.

6 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

A ton of folks on UWC are expecting to do this

4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Roysl did make exceptions for this cruise. 

Aren’t those overnight stops in port?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

Plus, doesn't the world cruise have an optional ($$) multi-over-night Safari in Africa planned as a possible excursion?

Yep, and Taj trip overnights as part of the excursion.

Likely need a few more $$ if that safari happens 😉

Edited by John&LaLa

2 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

Plus, doesn't the world cruise have an optional ($$) multi-over-night Safari in Africa planned as a possible excursion?

I'm not familiar with the different excursions I just know that in the FAQ's for this cruise it stated that guests would be allowed to disembark and reboard the ship at a later port. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

Those links just clarify you would not be imprisoned on the ship but clearly state would be free to leave IF you adhered to local regulations. The onus is on the guest to research and follow the local regulations. I am sure in the case of organized excursions that would be taken care of as a group but for independent travel the guest would need to take care of it themselves.

I am not sure the OP is on the world cruise and they haven’t said what country but the ships manifest would still need to be accounted for even if permission was granted and the guest had the correct documentation for a greater than 24 hour stay. 

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

Those links just clarify you would not be imprisoned on the ship but clearly state would be free to leave IF you adhered to local regulations. The onus is on the guest to research and follow the local regulations. I am sure in the case of organized excursions that would be taken care of as a group but for independent travel the guest would need to take care of it themselves.

I am not sure the OP is on the world cruise and they haven’t said what country but the ships manifest would still need to be accounted for even if permission was granted and the guest had the correct documentation for a greater than 24 hour stay. 

Right. Just linking to the documentation about the World Cruise specifically since it was previously mentioned. You are correct that this applies only to the World Cruise and does not necessarily apply to the OP's situation.

However, there is one valid point, and that is that even on the World Cruise, it is limited to those ports/countries where it is allowed. That would be globally applicable statement.