Cruise Critic headed out on Marina on Aug. 7 -- any questions?

Cruise Critic Chris

• Members

Hi all!

I'm going to be sailing on Marina, Copenhagen to Stockholm, on the Aug. 7 cruise. There are going to be quite a few press people and Oceania executives onboard; besides trying the revamped Baltic itinerary, we are getting a preview of Vista dining and a new cocktail program. Here's who will be onboard from Oceania: President and CEO Howard Sherman, Senior VP Franco Semeraro, Director of Culinary Programs and Development Chef Alexis Quaretti.

I'll be posting photos, info and links as I go. I have sailed Oceania before but on the smaller Insignia. I have also had the privilege of trying the Dom Perignon menu when it debuted a few years ago, so I'm well aware of Oceania's rep for great food and wine!

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to answer them here.  

Thank you for doing some investigation into the Vista enhancements.  I'd be curious to know exactly what the Ember menus are like as we are big fans of Jacques and Ember sounds like a let down to us.  Comfort food is fine but I can get that here at home.

• Like 1

Definitely looking forward to your postings because they will include information about the Vista dining program. We have a large group of friends heading out on one of her Inaugural sailings so it will give us something to talk about and dream about too. Of course sailing with all the Top Dogs will ensure there are NO slip ups anywhere so ENJOY. 👍🤪🙏🥂
Also interested in your thoughts about Marina as we were on her in May in the Caribbean and will be back aboard her in January down in South America with a group of friends. 

Enjoy the modified Baltic and Marina.

Mauibabes

Selfishly, I hope that the chefs on Marina will continue to "test drive" some of the recipes on subsequent sailings... like the 21 day cruise I am on in September/October.

Given this--"Debuting in December 2022 and November 2023 respectively, Riviera and Marina will become better-than-new ships in a re-inspiration."--please learn as much as you can about how both ships will change, everything from cabins to spa area pools to you name it. The whole 9 yards. The Marina you sail on in 2022 won't be the same ship come 2024. I was on Riviera in late 2021 and will be back on her in late 2023, after the refit.

A big issue for my wife & I are in regard to the elimination of the bathtubs. We're doing both veranda and inside staterooms, so wondering what exactly is happening to the interiors of each, including dimensions, with the refit.  

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

We're doing both veranda and inside staterooms, so wondering what exactly is happening to the interiors of each, including dimensions, with the refit.  

Do the inside cabins have bathtubs now??

The veranda rooms Concierge A1-A4 and non-Concierge B1-B4 have bathtubs today and they will be going away. So what is happening to the space they are vacating? The exact new dimensions of the bathroom and living area/bedroom.

7 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

The veranda rooms Concierge A1-A4 and non-Concierge B1-B4 have bathtubs today and they will be going away. So what is happening to the space they are vacating? The exact new dimensions of the bathroom and living area/bedroom.

You can pretty much bet that there will be a shower in the space where the tub now is. Probably more counters or storage where the shower now is. I somehow doubt the cabin dimensions will change. More than likely soft goods, carpet, walls, drapes and furnishings. Nothing to get to excited about unless you are one that loved the tub. And there are definitely going to be a very vocal minority complaining about it once it happens. I personally would only do a tub if it was the only option. I welcome the larger shower.

• Like 7

Hi - Doing this cruise early next month so be interested to hear your thoughts on the new ports of call especially. Also how popular this cruise is (we were on Marina in April and there were only 350 PAXs so not much atmosphere). Has the Covid rules been relaxed - I heard that they are not demanding a test 48 hours prior to embarking the ship from this month - is that right?

Many thanks

Pet 😀

• Members

Great questions, everyone! Will have lots to report from the upcoming Town Hall and Vista preview. 

Our sailing is about 70 percent full but a lot of that is media. Besides the US group, there are journalists and writers from Germany, Australia and Europe. 

In terms of Covid, you are correct - no test was required to board (although we tested before we left; just in case). No test to get home either. Some people wearing masks in elevators but that's a minority. Crew do wear masks. 

A few photos from the first day. We boarded in Copenhagen and the hotel was Skt. Petri. We took advantage of our jet lag and took an early morning walk to the Little Mermaid. No crowds at 7 am!

Onboard, we had a special media dinner at Red Ginger so not the full choices. I had the twice fried crispy chicken and my husband had the miso cod. Very good. Choosing your own chopsticks was a nice touch, even if I'm a butter fingers with them. I usually don't like Chenin Blanc but this was a nice one. 

Cabin-wise, we are in room 11024 - a Penthouse suite. Butler seems on top of things. 

A37910A9-8762-43B1-B137-5FB9143841E1.jpeg

5B350380-412C-46D3-B410-52C1CAC941F0.jpeg

B323FD65-6D70-43B6-B9CA-7F2B3FD349C7.jpeg

E0CD2884-ECDF-4F53-8FD6-45C8C6347361.jpeg

4D0DF2E3-2197-4EEE-825D-9950B1F15623.jpeg

98AFE7EB-0C66-421D-A39C-AE01F2F4A592.jpeg

A8BABC85-17EA-464B-90D6-771424F83A4F.jpeg

50F394E2-36BE-4CC5-B385-4E1BE581F73A.jpeg

D74652B7-E1EB-474A-997B-F00D0BC93A45.jpeg

289BEDF4-2367-4BAA-91A4-653B71F62A05.jpeg

103E61AA-94FE-413C-A89C-09C6EA6FEEC8.jpeg

480EC503-881B-4610-A777-BD66791CA2C7.jpeg

9306F714-7C6C-4B72-8540-A7C0DA42E4DD.jpeg

EA07AB3F-479C-4DEF-8BF8-F16FDE5D629C.jpeg

9998580F-9C96-45F9-A84D-4ED59DE48AC7.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought Red Ginger had Miso Sea Bass, not Cod.  Is this change just for your cruise with the media? I'm going on my first Oceania Cruise in just over a week and am looking forward to the Sea Bass. 

Have a wonderful time and thanks for sharing!

59 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

I thought Red Ginger had Miso Sea Bass, not Cod.  Is this change just for your cruise with the media? I'm going on my first Oceania Cruise in just over a week and am looking forward to the Sea Bass. 

From the menu posted above it's black cod, which is not the same as cod, but nor is it sea bass. Sablefish is another name for black cod.

Apparently black cod with miso is a signature dish at the Nobu restaurants:

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/black-cod-miso

• Like 1

Hi Chris. Your photos are wonderful!

Four of us will be sailing on the Riviera June 1st next year.

Would you be able to confirm the ship will be refitted this November?

Are they sticking with the dizzying carpet plans for the Penthouse Suites?

Thank you so much!

2 hours ago, bbtondo said:

No Rack of Lamb?