The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday August 6th, 2022

richwmn

Good afternoon or evening. We took the ferry to Orkney today on a cold and rainy dismal day. We did visit the chapel the Italian POW’s built in World War II. Churchill’s barrier to block U Boats from entering harbor and visited a couple of distillery’s to warm up and for medicinal purposes. Right now from our lodging in the Kirkwall Hotel we are watching Island Princess sail away from harbor. We will be staying here for a couple of nights so it will be nice to not have a bag drag in the morning.

Not many photos today and internet is real slow. We will be heading for a libation and dinner.

Enjoy the rest of your day and thanks for the report and post.

• Like 30

22 minutes ago, dfish said:

@Cruzin Terri Your prayers to St. Anthony have paid off.   My sister's luggage was delivered to her home around 11:00 am.   She is beside herself with joy and feels like Christmas morning.  

That is Fantastic news Debbie.

I'm really pleased for your sister.

Graham.

• Like 17

We drove over the Kirkstone Pass yesterday on our way home from Windermere in the  Lake District.

The views are awesome which got Pauline talking about the Norwegian Fjords.

I called into my local TA and booked us a weeks cruise in an aft balcony from Southampton England up to the Fjords and back to Southampton next year on P&O.😃

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 27

7 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Saturday Daily/Fleet report Rich.  Hiroshima was a horrible near end to a horrible war.   Not a big fan of Blues music but enjoy it from time to time.  A special salute to farm workers.  Not sure what to think of the quote.  I visited Warnemunde on the Elegant Explorer in 2015.  I think I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Classic Caesar Salad, Chilled Carrot and Orange Soup with Cumin, and Braised Lamb Shank as served on MS Prinsendam August 6, 2011.

Today’s care list:

Tbay DH and DGS with Covid
Cruzn single pulmonary Fibrosis diagnosis
Crabbi Patti’s father and now son with Covid
A rough day for Crusin Terri
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 8/14)
From the rotation:
Amy adjusting to widowhood and children
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Strength and healing for Kazu
Painful falls for Marshhawk, and Lindaler

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday Tbay and DGS
Productive medical visit for Quartzite Cruiser
Shadow/Little in Kazu’s care and making progress
Crabbi Patti on camp nurse duty to 8/8
Volendam caring for refugees
StLouisCruisers on road trip
Live4cruises in NC Hills to 8/11
Aliaschief touring Hebrides to 8/14
Cruzin Terri treatment coming after drive from hell
1 day for AMRDS (Nieuw Amsterdam 8/7 to 8/14)
1 day for Mister67 (Equinox 8/7 to 8/13)
Cat in My Lap (Zaandam to 8/13), Mtn2sea and kplady (Nieuw Statendam  to 8/27), and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

You look very smart on your new avatar picture Roy.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dfish said:

@Cruzin Terri Your prayers to St. Anthony have paid off.   My sister's luggage was delivered to her home around 11:00 am.   She is beside herself with joy and feels like Christmas morning.  

Great news!

59 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Negative on our Rapid Tests, good to go.

Woohoo! Have a great trip.

37 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We drove over the Kirkstone Pass yesterday on our way home from Windermere in the  Lake District.

The views are awesome which got Pauline talking about the Norwegian Fjords.

I called into my local TA and booked us a weeks cruise in an aft balcony from Southampton England up to the Fjords and back to Southampton next year on P&O.😃

That sounds like a wonderful trip.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Woo Hoo!   That is great news.  

Lenda

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

I was just wondering about that this morning --- great news!!!

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

That is Fantastic news Debbie.

I'm really pleased for your sister.

Graham.

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Great news!

Thanks, everyone.  She will be doing the happy dance for the next week or so.  

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon from a sunny 64°F North East England.

Thanks to both Rich and Roy who supply the information every day and Debbie for helping our food choices.

sounds like your area has less heat than the southern parts of UK and down into Spain and Italy.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Good afternoon or evening. We took the ferry to Orkney today on a cold and rainy dismal day. We did visit the chapel the Italian POW’s built in World War II. Churchill’s barrier to block U Boats from entering harbor and visited a couple of distillery’s to warm up and for medicinal purposes. Right now from our lodging in the Kirkwall Hotel we are watching Island Princess sail away from harbor. We will be staying here for a couple of nights so it will be nice to not have a bag drag in the morning.

Not many photos today and internet is real slow. We will be heading for a libation and dinner.

Thank you for the update.  I think rainy, dismal weather is more the norm there.  We experienced the worst rain the day we were in Kirkwall.  It was coming down horizontally and our pants from the knees down were soaked by the time we were back on the Prinsendam.  Hope your weather improves for the rest of your stay.

Lenda

• Like 13

4 hours ago, dfish said:

Debbie, I was going to ask you yesterday about that. However, I was so tired I forgot.  I have been praying.  Now to say a prayer of thanks.  Yippie!

Terri

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

sounds like your area has less heat than the southern parts of UK and down into Spain and Italy.

We are fairly North and only 75 miles from the Scottish border.

London normally gets the highest UK temperatures.

Spain and Italy are traditional hotspots especially Spain for sunbathing holidays.

My late mam and dad first took me to Spain when I was 12 years old nearly 54 years ago.

Pauline and I have holidayed in Spain many times.

Screenshot_20220806_223929.jpg

• Like 10

2 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

Great news!

Thank you St Anthony.

It really was.  

44 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Debbie, I was going to ask you yesterday about that. However, I was so tired I forgot.  I have been praying.  Now to say a prayer of thanks.  Yippie!

Terri

I thought of you as soon as I heard the news.  I think it could be 90 degrees out and she would be wearing those Norwegian sweaters.   She is so excited.

• Like 18

@aliaschiefEnjoy Orkney.... one of my favorite places as an archaeologist. Skara Brae, Maes Howe, Ring of Brodgar and many more. One of my students became so enamored of the islands when she was there with me during a summer  tour that she went back to Scotland for her graduate degree and then settled in Orkney. By the way, be sure to try the local whiskey.

Susan

• Like 13

5 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Highland Park distillery? I remember staying at the Ayre hotel in Kirkwall. Enjoy your time In Orkney. I’d love to go back , although I don’t think I could do Mae’s Howe anymore.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Good evening.

I am late to the party again.  Just can’t seem to get my act together these days.

Thank you to Rich and Roy for the Daily and Fleet Report and for the lists.

@dfish I am overjoyed that your sister has been reunited with her luggage.  Having had the same problems (the latest being in Berlin) I know what it feels like

@smitty34877Great news that Tana is now testing negative.  However, you need to take it easy and get your strength back.  It takes a while.

I had a busy day.  First of all I slept late.  Had a fitful sleep so when I finally got some sleep I stayed there until after 9 am.  Very unusual for me.  The after breakfast I had to hurry to shower, etc because i had a mani-pedi appointment. 

Traffic was very slow because it is TAX-FREE WEEKEND.  School starts next Monday and this is an annual event.  That coupled with the change-over day for the resorts made the traffic terrible.  When I got home, I took a nap( also very unusual for me).  Just worn out.

Tomorrow we drive down to Jax again for another round of appointments.  Will be home on Tuesday.

Hiroshima needs to be remembered for what happened there.  I am not a fan of the Blues, but do appreciate our farm workers.

I will skip the meal and the wine (beyond my budget) as well as the drink.

We had hamburgers and corn on the cob tonight.

I have been to Berlin before the start of a river cruise.  We spent a few days there (two of which were spent chasing our luggage) and then headed to Prague to begin our River Cruise.  That was the last trip before Covid.  I will try to find some photos of Berlin to post.  Have not been to Wannemunde but have a cruise planned for next Summer (God willing) and it stops there.

@aliaschief I will be interested in seeing some photos of Orkney.  We stop in Kirkwall on our cruise next summer.  

Prayers to all who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating.

Hope everyone has a great evening.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Greetings on this  wet cold,   temperature 5 C Sunday, a few snow flakes earlier, snow is forecast.

Thank you to Rich @richwmnfor the  Fleet and  the Daily, to Roy, @rafinmd  for the Care and Celebration lists, thanks also for the food and beverage recipes, and to @bennybear for the Hiroshima photos. 

Thanks for all the photos of Berlin and Warnemunde.

@TbayHappy Birthday wishes to you and your DGS.

@kb4683 Happy Birthday wishes to your DH.

@1ANGELCAT such a tragic fire, feel so sorry for that fireman.

@smitty34877 pleased that Tana has tested negative.

@dfish your sister will be so pleased to finally receive her luggage.

This evening the choir  of which DH is a member will  participate at a Peace concert to commemorate Hiroshima.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

52 minutes ago, erewhon said:

@dfish your sister will be so pleased to finally receive her luggage.

Oh, she was.  She wasn't expecting it because HAL never notified her that it had been found and was being shipped.  The delivery guy showed up and said he had a package for her.  When he pulled the suitcase out she jumped up and down and shouted out.  What a happy day!

• Like 18

Good afternoon from south coast NSW. We visited Warnemunde in June 2018 whilst on a Baltic cruise on the Zuiderdam. It is a pretty little town and you can easily take the local train to Rostock. We didn’t fancy the long drive to Berlin. It was a beautiful sunny day, with a brisk breeze . The sandy beach is huge and there are hundreds of wind break little shelters. Rostock has a lovely ‘old’ town centre which was rebuilt in the old style after the war. We hoped to visit the Stasi Museum there, but it was closed for renovations. 
06D0B2AF-D0E6-462A-9A1D-4EED3ED56B0C.thumb.jpeg.d2498800d23ac9521433d352feeb2ade.jpegCE6ABBCE-BB59-48D7-8CB3-FAD1AABCA617.thumb.jpeg.3c5c71342f31e394473252a3be4d82c6.jpeg134CAA5D-B515-4AC6-BA9F-D146900BAFD4.thumb.jpeg.fb35e00d9889798f69bad53c7e0876bd.jpegFFD25FF9-9688-4A0B-8EAE-82AB43E891C1.thumb.jpeg.692405797be43677827adef57efda30e.jpegA9315EA9-B025-4CC0-8D64-5D0CD1A8D173.thumb.jpeg.36a7519a6f6358a0014ef1cc56f5839f.jpegHC220201C-769B-4642-A5CD-5E23FFA2606E.thumb.jpeg.b198506920a9d4a83a073a6c81a91f07.jpeg8D2F1510-5911-4106-9588-0A371601FFA2.thumb.jpeg.3053c28ff9500fbe0de414e53515d166.jpegF3E02835-B743-4188-9D74-3AA7DD9A855B.thumb.jpeg.99035a05cea87f43e0590d2144e5f546.jpeg7085D874-C0EE-45C4-9BBF-91BF0DF3647B.thumb.jpeg.36956342eeea86286269677e335e753d.jpeg

And now for Rostock 

E8D7FE13-B834-49BB-B78B-13829439F32D.thumb.jpeg.ed5043b6adf425ac04fe3ebf1afea95e.jpeg122AA946-4291-4372-B96E-AFA33035AFC5.thumb.jpeg.c336f2e10c518becf6f3e4be99a2e348.jpeg4F2BA96E-5628-41E5-A1FD-709B609D2161.thumb.jpeg.d0f20a7952ad4e5e6f2e34eb7f906397.jpeg

Best wishes to everyone on the Daily. I read it every day, and feel as though I know so many of you. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 7

@daisybertieWelcome, I don't think we have met (here) before.  Thank you so much for the most excellent photographs.  Your day is our night, so good afternoon?  I once again had too much coffee, and as I was almost asleep,  Furnando cat chased Tazi cat down the hall, and this time she used DH's head as a spring board (he was asleep).  Now he is up, with his head bleeding,  Furnando is asleep on the love seat in the den, and Tazi is sitting on the head board growling.  So much for trying to get a good nights sleep.  I came down to the den to catch up with the daily.

@erewhon, I feel cooler just with your mention of snow.  I actually got a shiver just thinking of it.  I love snow.  I moved from up north, where my last idea of a purchase was to get cross country skis, when I got transferred to the south, and didn't buy the skis.  I hope you have a great day!

• Like 11

The Daily appears on my ipad about 9pm, and by the time we get up the next morning there are many posts to read.

New York and Miami are 14 hours behind us and Los Angeles and Vancouver are 17 hours behind us. Until the clocks change in spring and autumn. It is all very confusing and I rely entirely on the clock on my iPad.

It is late afternoon here now and quite cold, DH and I are relaxing with our electric throw rug over our knees!  Best wishes to all.

• Like 14