Reccomendation For Best Standard Balcony on Discovery Princess?

Thrak

Wondering if anybody can recommend a good standard balcony cabin on Discovery Princess. I realize it's a new ship but I'm hoping to book a cruise for the 2024 total eclipse and would like a balcony cabin that is larger than a bookshelf. If it's covered or partially covered that would be a bonus as well. On the Grand class of ships I have no problem deciding where I want to be but I'm clueless on the new ships.

Edit: Some of the balcony cabins "appear" to have much larger balconies on the deck plans but they are listed as the same square footage as the ones showing much smaller balconies. Can I actually trust the picture for the deck plans?

Edited by Thrak

11 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Wondering if anybody can recommend a good standard balcony cabin on Discovery Princess. I realize it's a new ship but I'm hoping to book a cruise for the 2024 total eclipse and would like a balcony cabin that is larger than a bookshelf. If it's covered or partially covered that would be a bonus as well. On the Grand class of ships I have no problem deciding where I want to be but I'm clueless on the new ships.

Edit: Some of the balcony cabins "appear" to have much larger balconies on the deck plans but they are listed as the same square footage as the ones showing much smaller balconies. Can I actually trust the picture for the deck plans?

The midship angled balconies are quite comfortable and large. The obstructed view deluxe balconies offer a bang for your buck, still the large balconies, but totally covered.  However, those are usually on a guaranteed basis, so you won't know if you are getting one of the larger balconies til closer to boarding time.

Just now, 1emerald1 said:

The midship angled balconies are quite comfortable and large. The obstructed view deluxe balconies offer a bang for your buck, still the large balconies, but totally covered.  However, those are usually on a guaranteed basis, so you won't know if you are getting one of the larger balconies til closer to boarding time.

I stayed in E409 on the Royal, quite large, and Astroflyer has pics of the room he stayed in, I'm sure when he reads this he will provide pics.

Look at D226 or D227.

Also look at the balcony cabins on Dolphin that have the larger balcony bump-outs either forward or aft.

And, as mentioned, those mid-ship so-called obstructed cabins on Emerald deck can be a good value.

All of the other usual rules apply.... not above loud venue like the theater or crooners.

This was Discovery’s E409 balcony which is a deluxe balcony obstructed view (DW) cabin with the only obstruction when looking down onto the outdoor Promenade deck. We prefer having the loveseat couch for 2 to have a place to sit now that there is only a desk chair. We’ve also had E436 which is a standard balcony also listed as obstructed but again only when looking down. The deck plan charts show the shapes of these larger balconies which are covered.

E409

95AB2545-7C65-4F7C-B999-1E23EAA76CB2.jpeg

E436

9E55DDDA-8C8C-4629-85EB-ED62277CBF69.jpeg

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

I noticed that the deck plans show some very large balconies on the forward and aft portions of Dolphin deck. The deck plans list them as the same size as the other balconies but the picture shows vastly larger balconies. Weird.

Edit: Just checked the cabin review thread and found a couple of good canditates. The review of one of the aft portion of Dolphin deck that I said show bigger balconies confirms that the balcony is quite big - the review compared it to Caribe balconies on Grand class ships.

The other candidate is a Sun Deck balcony. The corridor outside the door has windows that look out onto the Retreat Pool. Nice and sunny in the hallway during the day. Not sure how I would like the windows at night. It might be a bit like an older hotel with outdoor entry. It is intriguing though.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, PRINCESS Sweet Pea said:

All of the other usual rules apply.... not above loud venue like the theater or crooners.

Yep. I steer clear of noisy venues below me. (Our normal area is a balcony on the aft portion of Caribe deck on Grand class ships.) My concern regarding the Sun Deck balconies along the Retreat Pool is the loungers on the deck above although we did do a 14 day cruise on Star Princess in an Aloha deck balcony directly below the pizza venue area on Lido deck and never heard any chair scraping or any noise from MUTS so I guess it can be a crapshoot.

48 minutes ago, Thrak said:

The other candidate is a Sun Deck balcony. The corridor outside the door has windows that look out onto the Retreat Pool. Nice and sunny in the hallway during the day. Not sure how I would like the windows at night. It might be a bit like an older hotel with outdoor entry. It is intriguing though.

We're strongly considering one of the balcony cabins on Sun Deck. We like to be high up in the ship, we don't mind the small balconies (had one on the Majestic, and it was fine), and that location looks very interesting.

7 hours ago, Thrak said:

I noticed that the deck plans show some very large balconies on the forward and aft portions of Dolphin deck. The deck plans list them as the same size as the other balconies but the picture shows vastly larger balconies. Weird.

Edit: Just checked the cabin review thread and found a couple of good canditates. The review of one of the aft portion of Dolphin deck that I said show bigger balconies confirms that the balcony is quite big - the review compared it to Caribe balconies on Grand class ships.

image.png.219e8e27e5f9e562043ebf80fea31ce8.pngThese are BD balcony category and they are twice as deep.  

Be careful of Dolphin Deck. We had an Aft Dolphin Deluxe Balcony booked on the Discovery's innaugural. Out of nowhere they moved us to a minisuite on Aloha Deck, because they needed the Dolphin cabins for Covid Isolation. We cancelled the cruise.

I have sailed on the Sly Princess twice with an enlarged balcony in the front of the ship.    At one time it was the same price but I am not sure if there is a surcharge now.    

i think Princess got wise and increased the fare.   These pics are from Dec 2019 pre Covid but shouldn’t have changed much.   

For us, the balcony was perfect.  

14 hours ago, Thrak said:

Take a look at cruisedeckplans.com. Member site has the most info (obviously), but you might see what you need on the public site...or a short membership isn't much $$.

1 hour ago, billco said:

Be careful of Dolphin Deck. We had an Aft Dolphin Deluxe Balcony booked on the Discovery's innaugural. Out of nowhere they moved us to a minisuite on Aloha Deck, because they needed the Dolphin cabins for Covid Isolation. We cancelled the cruise.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this won't happen to us on our November Caribbean Islander cruise on the Enchanted.  Originally when it was on the Sky Princess we had cabin #D708.  Then it was changed to the Caribbean Princess and we had C708.  Now that it's on the Enchanted Princess we have D704.  I keep looking every week and they haven't changed my cabin (yet).

@Thrak I have posted 2 reviews that you may find helpful, for D222 and S222 (I'll add links below).  

You are correct that those cabins forward and aft on Dolphin Deck (on Majestic, Sky, Enchanted and Discovery) are standard Deluxe cabins (meaning they have a love seat) but the balconies are very very big, and 1/2 covered much like the Caribe Deck balconies on the Grand Class ships. They are fantastic cabins, but can be a bit spendy.

We also found that the Sun Deck cabins forward near the Retreat pool (on Sky, Enchanted and Discovery - not sure about Majestic) have balconies that are almost twice as deep as the standard on the majority of the Royal Class ships. These are standard cabins (a bit smallish) with balconies are fully covered. And we loved opening our door to have the light from the Retreat pool area filling the hall. Plus it was the location was very convenient to everything on the Lido Deck. The only downside to this location is that early every morning we would be awakened by the deck crew dragging loungers around above us, setting them out for the day. But, over all, we liked the cabin and the location, especially for the price.

Below is a picture I put together regarding those Dolphin Deck cabins, and here are the links to my reviews. Hope they're helpful.

Sky Princess D222

Discovery Princess S222

Sky balconies-deck plan.jpg

On 8/7/2022 at 3:56 PM, PRINCESS Sweet Pea said:

I hoped to book E425 on the one cruise we are looking at...  The equivalent balcony as the photo above, on a regular not-deluxe cabin.  But, it is already taken.  We have a tentative booking on E429, and I will def change over to E425 if it opens up.

OOOOPPPS!!  I know who has that cabin booked and it's unlikely to open back up.  You should probably grab E429.  

@Thrak...the midship obstructed balconies are much larger than the standard balconies as are the Premium deluxe balconies on certain decks.  We stayed in B737 and the balcony was huge. 

The deck plans that show the larger balconies in the bump out areas and aft are the ones you would need to pick from.  If you are looking at a mini suite, there are a couple on the Lido deck all the way forward that are still available (the Marina ones are booked).  There are also some mini suites with larger balconies midship.  I think the dolphin deck has some veranda cabins with larger decks as well.  

I booked D424 for next spring on the Discovery it’s a category BA and has the extended angled balcony. We are headed to Alaska on Sunday so I am hoping to see if there is any difference in size between the regular extended balcony and the mini suite one.  As long as I don’t have to sit sideways on my balcony it’s all good.

Edited by Sprocket

Booked this morning. The Emerald cabins were listed as "sold out". Booked a standard balcony on Dolphin Deck. Wanted the aft location highlighted by @peagreenid but am leery of the stupid Covid restrictions that got a lot of folks bumped from that location. (One would hope that by April 2024 this will no longer be an issue...)

Booked D226 as mentioned by @PRINCESS Sweet Pea which is a different type of location for us. We usually book in the aft portion of the ship. Many thanks to all who responded to my inquiry. There were a lot of great suggestions but I could only book one cabin. 😁