The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday August 14th, 2022

richwmn

My post from the Daily June 17, 2021:

Venice holds a very special place in my heart.  We have been there 3 times, the first time it was just my mother and myself for two weeks and we rented an apartment.  I might have some of those pictures and will look later.  The second time was on our Med Cruise on the Rotterdam and it was the disembarkation destination and we overnighted, then stayed 4 days afterward.  The third time was a land trip to celebrate our anniversary in 2005 and we rented an apartment for a week.

Here are some pictures from the Med Cruise.  I'll try not to repeat too much, there is just so much to see.  Sailing in:

027_24.thumb.JPG.a31b28b1c51ab0d43db98d0011c54fc1.JPG

Our favorite church, Santa Maria dei Miracoli:009_6A.thumb.JPG.9ace78a4e44679fb9073a7d3f90840a8.JPG

010_7A.thumb.JPG.ff7ca780cb11c1bf9b37d2d6a5ca7521.JPG

If you can, search out the movie Pane e tulipani or "Bread and Tulips" in English.  It's set near this area (somewhat) and one of our favorite (subtitled) movies.

On our first day we went to Piazza San Marco and sat at one of the outdoor cafes, I think Cafe Florian, and enjoyed the view of the Campanile, The Doge's Palace, and Balisica San Marco.  Quite a view!

018_15.thumb.JPG.e48d2e5e52329c4a5c54bc1b7ec24a2c.JPG

View of the backside of the Bridge of Sighs, aka Ponte dei Sospiri, with the very crowded bridge in front of it along the Grand Canal.

020_17.thumb.JPG.3640982dbb720494130e695cab97c3ac.JPG

Fast forward to a few days after disembarkation and we went to Burano, a very colorful place and one of our favorites. 

018_15.thumb.JPG.e83b9bec1950d0ad24c1eb4e316e5abe.JPG

016_13.thumb.JPG.78b7925e0b6d83fa53ef12287c6af36c.JPG

015_12.thumb.JPG.f284d7ecdd843e3d1a3f0e2ba9c78801.JPG

Since we were just in Venice in June I now have better pictures taken on my phone. I’ll select a few and post them separately. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 6

From another post on June 17, 2021. The church that I couldn’t remember the name of is Chiesa di Santa Maria Assunta detta I Gesuiti. 

These are from our 2005 land trip to Venice.  This is a small cafe along one of the streets, we were on our way to the white church in the background.  I wish I could remember the name right now, I know it is in Cannaregio.

image.thumb.jpeg.3551d7a6801ac504af7ca8a938b80a79.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7bd9a6ba56666c7b4ff871d692ac1b12.jpeg

San Michele, the cemetery island:

image.thumb.jpeg.cc68124619a0b6bb969f4d9f884db3e7.jpeg

An ambulance:

image.thumb.jpeg.2cfb5d30a2d656a435e1108e6a5253b4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ad448baa99bb9ff85b5be57a4d0af3cd.jpeg

The apartment building I stayed in 2001 with my mother, we were on the top floor.  You can see the Altana (wooden deck) that was attached to our apartment.  We would sit up there in the late afternoon with wine and cheese before dinner.

I have more but will post later.  Sorry it's so much but it's so hard to choose when Venice is so beautiful and unique.

Edited June 17, 2021 by Sharon in AZ 
Oops, apartment building didn't copy right.
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 7

Continuing from my previous post:

This is the picture that didn't post of the apartment, the Altana is on top of the roof.  You see them everywhere.  That is a church in the midst of restoration and the white building on the left is a hospital.

image.thumb.jpeg.d6825b015569edb021e52cf7d8db8c71.jpeg

I'm not sure what happened with this picture, it's a split screen but it's kind of cool:

image.thumb.jpeg.29d45e96cc03f3d1959c64b2e81bb0d1.jpeg

At night:

image.thumb.jpeg.a6604539fefc9ed165a3b39f50600dfe.jpeg

Ponte dell'Accademia:

image.thumb.jpeg.0d65611a0640caff0f8771699481f7eb.jpeg

There was a regatta, but I don' know which one.  It was quite fun.

image.thumb.jpeg.76a27ca8f4b73eef67a121a63d7c8929.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bab59d0141c709b20af5c854ba4c035f.jpeg

We could see part of the regatta floating by from the bridge near our apartment:

image.thumb.jpeg.d9a95b3240662f954a4521ebe26055ee.jpeg

Me waving from our apartment kitchen window:

image.thumb.jpeg.d310834232fd12d9e4230401fcc05546.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 6

@ger_77 I would like to wish you a mild case but cannot square that with "hit by a truck".  I think the best I can do is wish you a swift recovery at least in feeling better although it is almost certainly going a while before your energy returns.

Do take care of yourself.

Roy

• Like 26

Good morning.  When your bank has all of your accounts frozen you do tend to be very financially aware. The good thing is it looks all my money is there....just in strange places. The bank is untangling the threads.  Exorcism is being performed on my computer.  Take care all. Hard to write on this tablet.

Susan

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

@ger_77, so sorry that both you and DH have the darned insidious virus!  Wishing all of you good rest and speedy recovery.

@kazu, sending love and strength.

Thanks for all the beautiful pictures of Venice; we have enjoyed two wonderful stops there; an early morning sail in is among my favorite cruise memories.  A recommended book is City of Falling Angels by John Berendt.  He is also the author of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.  Falling Angels has to do with the fire that destroyed the old Fenice opera in 1996.

Have a good Sunday~~

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Continuing from my previous post:

This is the picture that didn't post of the apartment, the Altana is on top of the roof.  You see them everywhere.  That is a church in the midst of restoration and the white building on the left is a hospital.

image.thumb.jpeg.d6825b015569edb021e52cf7d8db8c71.jpeg

I'm not sure what happened with this picture, it's a split screen but it's kind of cool:

image.thumb.jpeg.29d45e96cc03f3d1959c64b2e81bb0d1.jpeg

At night:

image.thumb.jpeg.a6604539fefc9ed165a3b39f50600dfe.jpeg

Ponte dell'Accademia:

image.thumb.jpeg.0d65611a0640caff0f8771699481f7eb.jpeg

There was a regatta, but I don' know which one.  It was quite fun.

image.thumb.jpeg.76a27ca8f4b73eef67a121a63d7c8929.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bab59d0141c709b20af5c854ba4c035f.jpeg

We could see part of the regatta floating by from the bridge near our apartment:

image.thumb.jpeg.d9a95b3240662f954a4521ebe26055ee.jpeg

Me waving from our apartment kitchen window:

image.thumb.jpeg.d310834232fd12d9e4230401fcc05546.jpeg

Excellent photos Sharon.

They bring back a lot of happy memories.

Graham.

• Like 14

Good morning and thanks all,   Lots of respect for the Navajo code talkers.  Sorry to hear you’re unwell @ger_77, wishing you and DH a speedy recovery.  

Venice is one of my favourite cities.  So magical, we’ve been fortunate to visit many times,  last stay an apartment.  We’ve visited the Biennale twice, highly recommended as many of the palazzos are open to visit then With exhibits.  

Some of the art

D38B2073-C1B4-4609-A216-0724DFF0548E.jpeg

D1125C8A-1EBB-4053-AD5F-77113E0389F9.jpeg

1C4047D4-B8D0-4257-A3D3-C92D13473338.jpeg

E01D1038-B8E1-4339-B7D5-4ABAF576162F.jpeg

32DE3F5A-DBF2-4ABB-A993-F43C099E0793.jpeg

6366270D-A2A9-456B-8BA3-A6AA4AD0AB33.jpeg

F95FB5F4-CBF3-4106-B68B-23EA37B8D750.jpeg

24754C6F-FF4E-4C3B-B131-47C39B57A929.jpeg

917B7239-FCC3-45FA-A89F-FF4E2969ADB3.jpeg

83CCCB3D-1342-4AE2-8934-86CC9B569584.jpeg

2DC7D7A5-E560-4F15-9733-985E5E79A652.jpeg

8EED77D1-78CF-454B-9D48-355FC5049A60.jpeg

48D1B107-BF6D-4384-B533-C079B951FAB1.jpeg

1BEF76A1-7241-4A92-9A55-C09EB68D6B40.jpeg

377B8690-3D7D-4AED-94A2-8A37F817FB15.jpeg

1D200422-14EC-496F-951B-060D38358CB7.jpeg

8E119984-F580-47A0-8E42-1EA89EE1248E.jpeg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

I attended a memorial service yesterday for one of my quilting buddies. She was 95 and an amazing woman. This was on the back of the service sheet and impressed me.

Sorry it's a bit long.

Every minute someone leaves this world behind.

We are all in "the line" without knowing it.

We never know how many people are before us.

We cannot move to the back of the line.

We cannot step out of the line.

We cannot avoid the line.

So, while we wait in line-

Make moments count. 

Make priorities.

Make the time.

Make your gifts known.

Make a nobody feel like a somebody.

Make your voice heard.

Make the small things big.

Make someone smile.

Make the change.

Make love.

Make up.

Make peace.

Make sure to tell your people they are loved.

Make sure to have no regrets.

Make sure you are ready.

---Author unknown

• Like 22
  • Thanks 10

5 hours ago, dfish said:

Your aft veranda looks a lot like ours did.  We were on deck 8 and loved it. 

We have an regular aft verandah on Rotterdam’s deck 8 for a southern Caribbean cruise in February.  I was wondering if it will be shaded.  Thank you in advice.

Sending positive thoughts to all who are struggling and best wishes to all who are celebrating.

• Like 18

Good afternoon.  This morning, we wanted to get out of the house and do something normal.  We took the convertible for a drive-thru breakfast, and we left early enough to have the top down for about the first hour. 

We decided to drive to another small town we had never visited in the 23 years we've lived here.  The older part of town is not doing very well, but the outskirts are thriving.  Besides having a large natural gas plant in the city limits, there are new neighborhoods.  The town is now a bedroom community for Arlington, Tx.

We also drove down several back roads and noticed all the hay and corn had been harvested.  The farmers have now planted cotton, which surprisingly, is stronger when grown in drier, hotter weather.  Maybe, that's why it is grown around Yuma, AZ, and Blythe, CA.

I am enjoying all the pictures of Venice, and reliving our visits there.  Thank you all who shared your pictures and memories.

@ger_77  Gerry, I'm sorry you tested positive.  Take care, get some rest, and I hope both of you are better soon.

@aliaschief  Bruce, thank you for the pictures from Rotterdam and of the Volendam.  Maybe, we'll get to Rotterdam someday.  Have a great cruise.

@durangoscots  Susan, ouch on the mess with your accounts.  I hope the bank and the exorcism on your computer can get everything back where it belongs qu.

@SusieKIslandGirl  Our condolences on the loss of your quilting buddy.  Thank you for posting the message from the back of the service sheet.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 2

@ger_77Gerry, that's ridiculous that you can't get the Paxlovid. Age is a consideration as well as medical conditions of which both apply. Wish I could send you some-even my niece was able to get some even though she's under 60 but considered "overweight" which she really isn't, not hugely beyond the average.

• Like 16

Good Morning Everyone!

Been a busy week, getting caught up on the daily.

@rafinmd You can take Dad and son off the care list.  Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers for them. Son and family have recovered from Covid, fortunately they were not too sick, just miserable for a few days.  Dad is doing better with his dementia, and the two caretakers we have hired to help us are working out well.  So fingers crossed, we stay on an even path for now.

My daughter has included a book and project on the Navajo Code talkers in her history class, her middle schoolers seem to enjoy learning about them, glad she has worked it into the classroom.

It was cooler yesterday so we were able to get our hay for the winter.  I was so happy to find "old lady bales"  they weigh about 65 pounds, instead of the usual 80-100 pound bales!  These I can move by myself!

Fortunately I got the hay stacked up before I entertained the dog............I went to move the bird feeder (to clean the wasp nest out of it) stepped wrong and fell flat on my side, with bird feeder flying out of my hands!  The dog comes over and put her face in my face to see why I was laying on the ground.........did I want to play?

After a few minutes I managed to get up, spray the wasp nest and looked around to see if anyone saw my "graceful" act!  A few bruises and my dignity hurt, so I came inside and chilled the rest of the day by reading the daily.

Be safe everyone, I am enjoying your pictures and memes!

Denise

• Like 15
  • Thanks 9

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

We have an regular aft verandah on Rotterdam’s deck 8 for a southern Caribbean cruise in February.  I was wondering if it will be shaded.  Thank you in advice.

Sending positive thoughts to all who are struggling and best wishes to all who are celebrating.

Yes, it will be shaded.  The aft deck overhangs the balconies below it.  You can get sun if it is at the right angle, but there is always some shade.

• Like 17

Good evening friends!  Wow, it takes a long time to read the Daily when you arrive later in the day!  I know many of you have said that before but we should all try it sometime just to appreciate all the posts that are contributed each day.  

We left super early this morning from Cincy because DH  was awake 90 minutes early waiting for the alarm to go off.  So we got up and left at 4:30 a.m.  Tip-toed out is more like it.  I didn't want to wake anyone especially Sadie.  She'd have thought it was time to play.  The drive wasn't hard at all since it was Sunday, except for the usual high traffic volume here in Georgia.  Where is everyone going?  Half of them probably to Florida!  No rainfall on us and we were walking in our door at a little after 1 p.m.  Completely unpacked and put away things, did two loads of laundry and in between sneaking peeks here on the Daily.  So thanks to Rich @richwmnfor posting it, to Roy @rafinmdfor our Lists, and the food and beverage department for their help.  Loving all the photos of Venice!  @bennybearthe artwork photos taken in Venice were special as well.  Thanks to everyone!  I love Venice and have enjoyed our 4 visits there.  Who knows if we can ever go back again?  I'd love to share my photos again and will shortly.  

Prayers for all the people on our Care list today.  So many!  I see we have to add Gerry @ger_77because Covid snuck up on her last night!  The term hit by a truck is what our DSIL said when he got it, only he was more specific.  Hit by a Mack truck, which would be pretty bad!!!  Get well soon Gerry!  Graham @grapau27thanks again for Father's sermon today.  Bruce @aliaschiefhope the cruise is divine!  Sounds like it already and it's only the first day!  Linda @lindalergood luck getting all your projects/business done before you leave on that cruise.  Make a list and cross things off.  That seems to motivate me to get moving.  Susan @durangoscotssorry to hear about the bank accounts mess!  Hope they get it straightened out soon.  Denise @CrabbyPattiwow, I hate to hear about any of us falling.  Seems to happen to most of us these days.  I remember my big fall last November when I dented the wall with my hard head.  Glad you weren't too badly hurt.  And @SusieKIslandGirlI loved reading the poem from your friend's funeral program.  I'm going to keep it because it's an important reminder to us all about how short life is and what's important.  Thank you so much!

On to Venice!  I love visiting Venice and have been there about 4 times.  I'm sure there will be plenty of photos of that beautiful city.  This is a photo my brother said I should have made into a poster size print.  enhance

enhance

I checked for photos from our last time in Venice, Pacific Princess transatlantic, Nov. 24, 2018.  A few different shots.  I notice the best pictures seem to be from the IPhone rather than the camera.  enhance

I stuck my head into this open doorway into a shop. enhance

enhance

enhance

Another gondola picture but this time the color of the water and the clouds bring some interest to the subject.enhance

The bridge of sighsenhance

Remember it's November so it gets dark earlier that time of year.  Pacific Princess sailing down the canal leaving Venice about dinner time.enhance

My favorite spot to buy pizza in Venice.  Then the gelato place is 20 steps away after eating the pizza.enhance

it's called Antico Forno enhance

The gelato enhance

enhance

My favorite is mint chocolate chip!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 8

@StLouisCruisers. Great photos of my favourite city!  Hopefully you’ll go again,  we’ve been many times, but I’m not ready to stop yet.  
So true how long it takes to read when you’re late to the party.   Being in western Canada I really appreciate those who combine their posts as it makes it much easier to read.   I always think about @erewhon who comes at the very end of the day, and how unwieldy it can become, 

so a special thanks to all those who make the extra effort. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

@CrabbyPattiSo sorry to hear about your fall.  Thanks heavens the dog was there to make sure you were OK.

@SusieKIslandGirlI love what you posted about being in line.  I am going to copy that, send it to a few of my friends, and put it on my wall at work.  I have found that when the little things can be the big things, we learn to appreciate them more.  A sunrise is a big thing, as can a butterfly on the lantana.

DH and I headed over to Penny's to use the pool.  Her son and his wife were there, so since they live on a steep hill and the sons car was in the front of the yard, I was trying to figure out the space between their neighbors and the drive way, and hit (I never saw it officer) the neighbors trash can. It went flying, and was full of clam shells.  DH went and picked them all up and put them back in the trash can.  
When we got back to the car after our time at the pool, DH noticed that I had totally tore up the turn signal light on the passenger side, glass was jammed into the side of the jeep.  Oh my. (his car)

DH got in the pool but no more than waist deep, the temperature of the water kept dropping.  It was 78 when he went in, 76 when I went in, and when I got brave and went back in, it was 74.  I was not trying to actually go in more than waist deep, but slipped on the edge and ended up with a very short and fast swim.  DH said it was nice just to get out and sit outside without mosquitos.

Be safe out there, and watch for flying clam shells!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, CrabbyPatti said:

Good Morning Everyone!

Been a busy week, getting caught up on the daily.

@rafinmd You can take Dad and son off the care list.  Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers for them. Son and family have recovered from Covid, fortunately they were not too sick, just miserable for a few days.  Dad is doing better with his dementia, and the two caretakers we have hired to help us are working out well.  So fingers crossed, we stay on an even path for now.

My daughter has included a book and project on the Navajo Code talkers in her history class, her middle schoolers seem to enjoy learning about them, glad she has worked it into the classroom.

It was cooler yesterday so we were able to get our hay for the winter.  I was so happy to find "old lady bales"  they weigh about 65 pounds, instead of the usual 80-100 pound bales!  These I can move by myself!

Fortunately I got the hay stacked up before I entertained the dog............I went to move the bird feeder (to clean the wasp nest out of it) stepped wrong and fell flat on my side, with bird feeder flying out of my hands!  The dog comes over and put her face in my face to see why I was laying on the ground.........did I want to play?

After a few minutes I managed to get up, spray the wasp nest and looked around to see if anyone saw my "graceful" act!  A few bruises and my dignity hurt, so I came inside and chilled the rest of the day by reading the daily.

Be safe everyone, I am enjoying your pictures and memes!

Denise

Bringing in baled hay reminds me of my growing up in Ellensburg, Washington.  My best friend and I used to help our neighbors bring in their hay at some dollar amount that I forget per ton.  While the bales weighed about 100 lbs each, there was a way to use your shoulder and knee with hay hooks to lift and pile them one on another.  Not sure if I could do it now, even a 65 lb bale might be too much for me.

Ray

• Like 15

Popping back in after a very nice day.  We took a drive up to Lynden (near the BC border) and got the first of their Gravenstein apples of the season.  We'll be back for more!  We had a nice brunch outdoors there with a mountain view.  Then we stopped for Italian take-out for dinner from our favorite Milan-born chef Alberto.  Nice day (other than the crazy traffic)!  We saw that the border waits were a minimum of 50 minutes -- glad we weren't crossing!

@CrabbyPattiI'm sorry to hear about your fall!  Hopefully you won't be too bruised.

@SusieKIslandGirlI also loved what was written on your friend's funeral program.  

Our view of Mt. Baker as we ate brunch.

588531798_MountBaker.thumb.jpg.de37e462c675cde5550ac0298ef623bb.jpg

The first of the Gravensteins this year.

Gravensteins.thumb.jpg.3ce8223e24994b59aded20df046ee1d1.jpg

• Like 19

4 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

We saw that the border waits were a minimum of 50 minutes -- glad we weren't crossing!

Seriously?  I have to drive up to Vancouver to join Zuidy for Alaska on Tuesday.  Or did you just mean the the crossing by Lynden (WA-539)?  I'm planning to cross at Blaine (Peace Arch), hope I won't be sitting in the 80-degree heat for an hour.

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, AV8rix said:

Seriously?  I have to drive up to Vancouver to join Zuidy for Alaska on Tuesday.  Or did you just mean the the crossing by Lynden (WA-539)?  I'm planning to cross at Blaine (Peace Arch), hope I won't be sitting in the 80-degree heat for an hour.

This was for Lynden and Sumas -- and remember this is Sunday.  Hopefully it won't be bad for you on Tuesday!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1