Sneakers in Specialty Restaurants

dolls123

I only wear sneakers on the ship as a safety precaution and I have on numerous occasions worn sneakers in the specialty restaurants even with dress clothes (I color coordinate). Don't know what the official policy is but that has been my experience. Nobody has said anything to me.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Yes, sneakers are allowed. Regular jeans are also allowed in those restaurants that require pants. We've never worn anything fancy beyond a polo shirt & jeans for hubby with sneakers. That's why we sail NCL as much as we do.

I think you have to wear pants to all dining facilities and everywhere else on the ship.  Some places allow short pants while others require long pants, but in general pants are required all the time (unless of course one is wearing a bathing suit).

54 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

I think you have to wear pants to all dining facilities and everywhere else on the ship.  Some places allow short pants while others require long pants, but in general pants are required all the time (unless of course one is wearing a bathing suit).

This is definitely NOT TRUE... The only dining areas on NCL that require long pants are Le Bistro, Ocean Blue / Bayamo, and Cagney's... Honestly, I think that I've worn shorts to Cagney's before without any problems.

Edited by sid_9169
  • Like 2

I have the perfect solution to the sneakers/suit issue.  Just don't own a suit.  Problem solved!!!

(full disclosure: I do have one cheap Amazon suit in the back of my closet in case somebody dies....not including me - burying me in a suit would be the ultimate insult)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I have the perfect solution to the sneakers/suit issue.  Just don't own a suit.  Problem solved!!!

(full disclosure: I do have one cheap Amazon suit in the back of my closet in case somebody dies....not including me - burying me in a suit would be the ultimate insult)

You do realize a track suit is not the kind of suit we're talking about, right? '-) 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

This is definitely NOT TRUE... The only dining areas on NCL that require long pants are Le Bistro, Ocean Blue / Bayamo, and Cagney's... Honestly, I think that I've worn shorts to Cagney's before without any problems.

Next cruise I think I'll suggest to the maitre d' that they have long pants and short pants sections, like the old smoking/non- sections of yore.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

If I'm not in a bathing suit I'm in these shorts.    https://amzn.to/3Cb3R79

I've worn them and a pair of slip on boat shoes along with a Polo to Cagney's a half dozen times. I wore them to Le Bistro once, only because our suitcases didn't arrive until 8pm

• Like 2

Since most people don’t seem to get particularly dressed up on NCL  in specialty restaurants maybe your son doesn’t need to bring a suit?  They do take up a lot of space in a suitcase or an extra suit bag..  I’m sure a nice shirt and tie and nice pants would be fine if he really wants to get a bit dressy. 

The only reason I would ever pack a suit on a cruise near the tropics is because the DW gets a kick out of date nights when we dress up all fancy.   I've got a pair of black jeans, and black sneakers with black soles that I pack for this purpose.

Another observation I had is that most of the time on the mainstream cruise lines, the restaurant hosts tend to err on the side of lax.  They know it's your vacation, and they know you pay gratuities.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oxo said:

This is so funny! When we had Formal nights people complained. 

Now we have to discuss shorts/long pants.

What do they complain about on an all natural cruise? LOL

We are going to Bermuda. Their version of long pants is “Bermuda Shorts”. Respect their traditions.   

Had no issues with shorts in Cagney’s with my running shoes. Interesting enough they denied me access to the mdr on the first day for lunch because I was wearing a tanktop. Like yeah it was balls hot in Spain and our luggage haven’t yet arrived. I thought they were lenient on the first day? 

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I only own one suit that I wear to weddings and funerals.

Have worn (nice) shorts, button down shirt, and sneakers to dinner at Cagneys more times than I can remember. Never had any sort of a problem. That being said, about ten years ago we were on the Dawn on the Boston to Bermuda run. Group of ten. One of the couples had spent the day in Hamilton, and he had bought a really nice pair of Bermuda shorts. Well we had reservations for a table for ten that night in the main dining room, the Venetian. My buddy shows up in his brand new Bermuda shorts, a nice shirt, and a pair of those knee socks the Bermudian men wear.( and shoes). Well, you can imagine the look of shock on his face when they told him he had to go back and change into pants. You would think that when you are in Bermuda, do as the Bermudians do. But NCL didn't see it that way. Still shake my head over that one!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

You do realize a track suit is not the kind of suit we're talking about, right? '-) 

Absolutely!  They can bury me in a "track" suit, as long as it is 100% cotton and not goofy looking.😎

(disclaimer: I'll be cremated because I'm too cheap to pay for one of those fancy funerals.  Those are more for the Haven crowd. 🤣  The Heaven crowd couldn't care less.....🥳)

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, tetleytea said:

The only reason I would ever pack a suit on a cruise near the tropics is because the DW gets a kick out of date nights when we dress up all fancy.  

If my DW wanted a date night with somebody in a suit, I would try to find her one (the date, not a suit).👀

1 hour ago, Holly g said:

maybe your son doesn’t need to bring a suit?

Did the OP say that DS was bringing a suit?