The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday August 19th, 2022

richwmn

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Debbie, how did you guess?  Was it all the cruise pictures or the misspelling?  🤣  As I've said, proofreading is not my strong point.  I tend to see what I meant to type, not what I typed.  And like today, I clicked on the wrong word when trying to correct it.

It was mooring.  I did get a chuckle out of it and thought maybe we on the Daily should start a tradition of baking when a BHB moors somewhere.  We'd be baking every day!

• Like 9
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

What wonderful news today about Shadow!  Jacqui, @kazu, that is one smart dog to almost make her way home to you after only a few weeks!  And of course, Liz is to be commended on figuring it all out.  Please tell her she is today's  CC heroine!  I have a feeling it will be difficult for you to let Little Shadow go again.

I had my phone doctor's appointment this morning, didn't speak to my doctor, I think maybe it was his student.  But he was very informative and went over the tests with me and what to do in the future.  I guess it was a little more serious than I realized, but I'm just eating very bland food, and hopefully all will resolve.  We just booked a September 2-week Alaska cruise that I couldn't resist, so I told him I will not be ready for the colonoscopy until after we get back.  First things first!

Pat is Irish, so of course potatoes are his favourite food, I was born in China, so rice is no. 1, but I don't mind a potato now and then - I think it's DD's special potato salad for us tonight, too.  And chicken.

Sorry to hear your phone consultation with your doctor (student) wasn't exactly what you wanted to hear Ann.

Hopefully your colonoscopy provides better news for you.

Graham.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

While I would not enjoy a bad reaction after either of the shingle shots, just like with the Covid vaccine, I consider it a small price to pay.  My stepmother, DSIL and many of our neighbors have had shingles, and it wasn't fun.  Reading all the posts, the odds are that I'll have a reaction. However, if I look at it on an individualbasis, I have  50-50 odds.  I'll either have a reaction or I won't.  🤞

I caught chickenpox from older DD when I was 35 and had a mild case; so i know I need to get the vaccine.  BTW, younger DD also got chickenpox from her sister, but DH didn't.  He can't remember if he ever had chickenpox.

DH and I had the originaal vaccine when it was first introduced.

@grapau27  Graham, the vacinne is recommended for those who had shingles to prevent getting them again.

@Kurtybee123  We've been keeping an eye on the forecast here and in Dallas for next week.  DH has an appointment Tuesday at UT Southwestern that we can't postpone.  It looks like we'll be rained on that day. We don't look forward to making the round trip in the rain, but aren't complaining since Texas needs all the rain we can get.

21 minutes ago, dfish said:

It was mooring.  I did get a chuckle out of it and thought maybe we on the Daily should start a tradition of baking when a BHB moors somewhere.  We'd be baking every day!

Debbie, that's an idea.  I'm afraid if we did all that baking, not only would we "leave as baggage, we'd board as baggage". 🤣😉

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, JazzyV said:

The last time I was at the store, no russets - the sign said they couldn't source any quality ones.

When @JazzyV in PA said that and I am finding Russet bins empty in MI, it made me wonder why. So, I Googled it  and found a Russet potato wholesaler stating:

“Early fall we harvest and that crop lasts us the entire year…The storage crop is essentially gone right now, when normally we’d have a couple weeks left of storage potatoes from the 2021 harvest…The new harvest crop is delayed because (of)… unseasonably cold and wet weather during the early part of this growing season.”

He said the Russet situation likely won't improve until October. 

-Melisa 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 7

16 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

While I would not enjoy a bad reaction after either of the shingle shots, just like with the Covid vaccine, I consider it a small price to pay.  My stepmother, DSIL and many of our neighbors have had shingles, and it wasn't fun.  Reading all the posts, the odds are that I'll have a reaction. However, if I look at it on an individualbasis, I have  50-50 odds.  I'll either have a reaction or I won't.  🤞

I caught chickenpox from older DD when I was 35 and had a mild case; so i know I need to get the vaccine.  BTW, younger DD also got chickenpox from her sister, but DH didn't.  He can't remember if he ever had chickenpox.

@grapau27  Graham, the vacinne is recommended for those who had shingles to prevent getting them again.

@Kurtybee123  We've been keeping an eye on the forecast here and in Dallas for next week.  DH has an appointment Tuesday at UT Southwestern that we can't postpone.  It looks like we'll be rained on that day. We don't look forward to making the round trip in the rain, but aren't complaining since Texas needs all the rain we can get.

Debbie, that's an idea.  I'm afraid if we did all that baking, not only would we "leave as baggage, we'd board as baggage". 🤣😉

Lenda

Thank you Lenda.

Neither of our doctors have offered or advised us about shingles vaccines.

I have had vaccines for 

Flu.

Pneumonia.

Covid.

Graham.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Lenda.

I have had vaccines for 

Flu.

Pneumonia.

Covid.

Graham.

You might ask them about the vaccine.  The worst that could happen is they say no.

Lenda

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

You might ask them about the vaccine.  The worst that could happen is they say no.

Lenda

Thank you Lenda I will.

I will shortly be eligible for a second covid booster,flu and pneumonia jabs so will ask then.

Graham.

• Like 6

I've had the two Shingrix immunizations; no serious reaction to either, but as others have mentioned, my arm was painful for about five days.

One consideration in the U.S. is that, although it will be covered by insurance, it's a Tier III drug in most plans, so the co-pay is high. If you have met your plan's deductible, the coverage will be better. I had no charges at all toward the deductible, and the only suggestion either a pharmacist or the insurer could offer was to get the first jab in the fall and the second in December, to increase the chance of having met the deductible for the year before the second.

On the subject of immunizations, I'm participating in a clinical trial of an RSV vaccine and I'm scheduled for my final office visit on Monday. I don't think that I received the actual vaccine, because I had no reaction to it at all, and I have exaggerated reactions to many vaccines. I really wonder whether the clinical trial will have demonstrated anything at all, because probably everyone who volunteered took so many precautions against covid that we never caught anything at all during the trial period.

• Like 13

33 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Lenda.

I have had vaccines for 

Flu.

Pneumonia.

Covid.

Graham.

Graham here in the US we just to the pharmacy for vaccinations. Our doctor doesn't write a prescription. I would try to get one if you are able.

• Like 11

56 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

When @JazzyV in PA said that and I am finding Russet bins empty in MI, it made me wonder why. So, I Googled it  and found a Russet potato wholesaler stating:

“Early fall we harvest and that crop lasts us the entire year…The storage crop is essentially gone right now, when normally we’d have a couple weeks left of storage potatoes from the 2021 harvest…The new harvest crop is delayed because (of)… unseasonably cold and wet weather during the early part of this growing season.”

He said the Russet situation likely won't improve until October. 

-Melisa 

Interesting. Thanks for the information.

On the shingles vaccine, I had the older one in 2015 (Zostavax), now know to be only about 50% effective and lasting about 5 years. In 2020 I had shingles, but not horrible, perhaps due to some effect of the prior vaccine. So last November I went to the pharmacy and got the first dose of Shingrix, and the second in February of this year. I had a sore arm with the first, but less than with Zostavax since that was a partially active vaccine. After the 2nd Shingrix I had symptoms similar to the Covid vaccines; headachy, tiredness, etc but only for 2 days.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I'm thinking you may be right about that.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Good evening all, @kazu, what wonderful news about Shadow. There definitely was an angel watching out for her.

Fluff is doing much better this evening. The pain medication is definitely kicking in and she moved out of her hiding spot. She ate a small dish of food tonight. 
Have a blessed evening 🙏❤️

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks for our Friday Daily, Rich.

And it is a very Happy Friday.  Actually it was happy Thursday night - a tiring one but happy.  In a way I can celebrate Humanitarian Day but it’s really for animals.  

Guess who was in my house last night?  The search has been called off.

99053881-1510-4B1A-A73F-108119C5C840.thumb.jpeg.2614f6b9e252852eaf481a67b3335df6.jpeg

I had no food (my neighbour gave me some), no toys, no nothing but she likes towels.  My trainer, Liz spent two cold, wet days hunting for her.  She was about to give up yesterday when she started thinking - how is she going to cross that ditch deep in water to get to the food (they had put food out to bait her).  She decided to disregard the sighting and looked around and saw a spot with tall wildflowers and said to herself - ‘that looks like Jacqui’s garden’ and guess who was there?  She had to wade through that mess and carry her back to her truck.

She brought her here not seeing anyone as she wanted to have her in a safe place after being lost for 3 days and 2 nights.  

Liz is my hero.  I have found out who her foster is, reached out, made sure she had a fenced yard, etc and she is taking care of the gate she escaped under and getting her a GPS collar.  She will pick her up tonight or tomorrow morning.

Praise be! Bless Liz, you & Shadow.  I am toasting you all with my smoothie du jour. 

Liz is my hero, too!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

It is now 8 pm EDT.  I still feel like a truck ran over me.  I took a nap this afternoon and will go to bed soon. Every bone in my body hurts.

i really hope I feel better tomorrow.  The memorial service for my neighbor is tomorrow. If I don’t feel better, I don’t know if I can go.

My neighbor who has been testing positive for 11 days finally tested negative.

Thank you all for your prayers.  

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Lenda

Sounds like Monday is supposed to be the heaviest rain, so hopefully you’ll be better off Tuesday.  Glad you’re going to UT Southwestern - best in the business up here.  If time and weather permit and DH is up for it, grab a burger at Maple and Motor on Maple Ave right by the hospital. One of the best burgers in Dallas.  Or better yet, give me your order and I’ll drop it off to you (with maybe a bite or two missing!). 🤣. Good luck Tuesday! 

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

Greetings on this sunny Saturday.

Rich, @richwmn Thanks for the Holland America Line fleet  locations and the Daily.  You have us puzzled with the wine, DH has searched the range of NZ Sauvignon Blancs with absolutey no success, so it is a mystery.

@kazu was so pleased to read your post and see the photo of Shadow safely in your home, your friend Liz is wonderful to rescue Shadow.  Hoping that the foster carer will now look after Shadow as well as you did.

@Quartzsite Cruiser  thank you for your mutiquoting post today.

Thanks for the photos of today's port,  which  we have not visited.

Best wishes to all on  @rafinmd  Roy's care list.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

On the way to the eye doc, we stopped at Walgreens and got some Tums.  I have been burping every time I take one, but the stomach is hurting less.

The good news is that I am not as near sighted as I used to be, the bad news is that I am more farsighted than I used to be, so new glasses for me.

Other than a floater (who knew you get them as you get old) I'm fine.  I did ask her if a floater wasn't a small flying object from another world.  I had just watched Men in Black last week.  She said no it was from getting old.

DH really needed an appointment and when I verified mine last week, and tried to get his changed to something sooner than after our cruise they said they had nothing.  I had him ask this morning when we were there, and they rescheduled him for next Wednesday.

@1ANGELCAT I'm very happy to read that Fluff is doing well.  I had to explain to DH what a onesie was.

@kazuI was so glad to know that Little Shadow had been found.  Your friend Liz is one of those angels without wings.  True Grace.

Hugs to you all.

disney-hugs-and-kisses-clipart-12.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Graham here in the US we just to the pharmacy for vaccinations. Our doctor doesn't write a prescription. I would try to get one if you are able.

It is the nurse in our doctors surgery who does all the vaccinations and takes our blood's and blood pressure.

Our covid vaccines were done at health centres.

We do not pay for any treatments as it is covered under our National Health Services.

Graham.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Other than a floater (who knew you get them as you get old)

I developed one a few days ago. Mayo Clinic says that people learn to ignore them; I've noticed that it disappears when I focus on something distant, like when watching a movie the other night on a big screen.

• Like 1