Rain Gear

ALD18

With space at a premium when cruising what does everyone use for rain gear?  Light shell?  Fully waterproof jacket?  Poncho?  Umbrella by itself?  Looking hard at a Patagonia Torrent Shell and layering underneath, but have historically found shells to be clammy feeling even if breathable.  Heavier jackets may be too hot for some cruises.  Poncho seems like it would be cooler but wouldn't wear during normal weather.  Or just use an umbrella.  Any makes and models you recommend on any of the above would be interesting.  Thanks.

I bring a water resistant jacket with hood.  Rain goes right through shells and waterproof doesn’t breathe.  The ships provide umbrellas if I really need one.  (I don’t.)

These were my best investment.  They fit perfectly over my shoes and have a good tread.  I only pack one pair of runners and it’s hard to get them dried out in time for the next port.  They store flat in the included storage bag.

9EC88F0D-874C-4F22-A648-5EB6098A7DC3.thumb.jpeg.a8541250218e2630dd368a0d8d4a4ace.jpeg

• Thanks 1

We used to bring along high end ponchos we purchased in some camping store in the US.  Later switched to a 'dollar' store bargain over a Gortex jacket when such jackets needed for measure of warmth.

As I've aged with diminished vanity, I've learned I 'drip dry' in the tropics.  I do remove my watch and protect camera/phone in my purse.

I spray our runners thoroughly with water proofing before a trip and 'hope for the best' but when the best doesn't occur the hair dryer helps.

We've not had great luck with small travel umbrellas but if you're in a suite on most lines, a large one is provided.

If you're new to cruising it's trial and error to find out what works best.

Ruth

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

I never use umbrellas (and I live on the “wet” coast). I like to have my hands free.

I also never use umbrellas. I use a Tilley hat to keep rain off my glasses.

• Like 2

I have  a rain jacket  I wear over a fleece if I need warmth 

the rain jacket  stores in it own pocket  & has a hood 

it works well for most weather conditions you encounter  when cruising

Umbrellas  have a tendency to blow inside out  so never take one on a cruise

I usually wear a pair of all leather lace up shoes pretty much all the time.  For normal wet weather the all leather takes quite a long time to soak through so usually good there.  I give them a spray with waterproofing every so often to help out.  Like to wear quick dry pants, although when they get wet they can be kind of sticky.  Coat is where I struggle.  I like the fully waterproof stuff with a built in hood.  I find the lesser cost shells (even the good ones) have a tendency to be noisy as they sort of crackle when you move.  As well cheaper ones I've had get clammy inside and are hot even with moderate walking.  The Torrentshell sort of fits into that category, but with the pit zips that could be a great ventilation bonus, but still noisy.  I am also semi looking at upgrading and eating the extra cost for a packable GoreTex shell instead.  Quiet, waterproof, and I have other camouflage pieces at home so  I can use Goretex revitalization wash in stuff to keep it going.  Decision, decisions😀   

Edited by ALD18

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

many countries you should not were camo  anything 

so be careful what you pack

Indeed, have been warned of that.  Some cruise lines have it in their cruise contracts that camo is not allowed anywhere.  Thanks for the reminder. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ALD18 said:

With space at a premium when cruising what does everyone use for rain gear?  Light shell?  Fully waterproof jacket?  Poncho?  Umbrella by itself?  Looking hard at a Patagonia Torrent Shell and layering underneath, but have historically found shells to be clammy feeling even if breathable.  Heavier jackets may be too hot for some cruises.  Poncho seems like it would be cooler but wouldn't wear during normal weather.  Or just use an umbrella.  Any makes and models you recommend on any of the above would be interesting.  Thanks.

I have a wide range of waterproof gear to choose from, but my selection depends very much on the cruise itinerary and dates. So a late September cruise would hit the rainy season if headed for Alaska but the dry season for the Caribbean. I take a Gortex jacket, rain pants and waterproof hiking shoes, plus layers for warmth when off to Alaska, but no rain gear at all for the Caribbean.

As for packing space, my rain gear takes up less room than the snorkelling equipment that I leave behind when headed to colder and wetter climates.

23 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

I bring a water resistant jacket with hood.  Rain goes right through shells and waterproof doesn’t breathe.  The ships provide umbrellas if I really need one.  (I don’t.)

These were my best investment.  They fit perfectly over my shoes and have a good tread.  I only pack one pair of runners and it’s hard to get them dried out in time for the next port.  They store flat in the included storage bag.

9EC88F0D-874C-4F22-A648-5EB6098A7DC3.thumb.jpeg.a8541250218e2630dd368a0d8d4a4ace.jpeg

Is that a recent price? The listing on the .ca site is substantially more expensive.

We each a waterproof shell with hood that we bought at Costco.  Perfect for us. Crumples up to nothing in our carry on.   We both have a light cotton sweater depending on our destination.  We used to take a small umbrella now we do not bother.  Often the hotel will supply, if not we can buy one on the street.

• Like 1

As a former Scout leader, suggest the old standby of a black garbage bag or a clear leaf bag. Cheap, easy to pack and simple to slip on. One thing...cut out the opening for head and arms before travelling.  Stay dry! Cheers!

• Like 1

We typically bring light gortex shells and a mini-umbrella. 

The mini-umbrella has come in handy when we're DIY'ing and needed to pull out the phone in an area without cover for for wayfinding and info.   

• Like 1