The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday August 28th, 2022

richwmn

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I hope you don't have any issues enjoying food with the missing tooth.  I vastly prefer both the Radiance and Vision classes over the Voyager class.

Roy

Central park on Oasis class ships is a favourite of ours.

Brilliance of the seas a radiance class ship is a lovely ship.

Graham.

• Like 7

Remembering with love all our wonderful dogs who passed.   We lost our last furbaby in December, for the first time in 43 years we do not have a dog.  We are, however minding our grand dog.  He has been an angel, has not destroyed anything!  Waiting for the other shoe to drop, lol.

Recovering nicely from my wasp sting.

Hope everyone has a wonderful afternoon!!

Jo

• Like 21

18 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I hope you don't have any issues enjoying food with the missing tooth.  I vastly prefer both the Radiance and Vision classes over the Voyager class.

Roy

Tonight I had beef pie, made with Guinness, and did OK but chewing only on one side. In the roll call we were discussing the addition of both main-course pies and Indian dishes to the menus -- I remember that a Baltic cruise on the Serenade in 2019 had many British passengers, although no specifically British food. Also many passengers from Spain, but everyone I've heard speaking so far who wasn't American was speaking French or German.

• Like 19

Just can’t let it pass without adding that much of the turmeric available contains lead. Lead exposure is cumulative, so even small amounts can add up. The lead can get into the spice from grinding, other preparation, and possibly from soil ( as it is a root crop). And much of it is imported. One batch may be fine, the next not. So if one chooses to use it, it is important to be confident about its origins, and safest to stay with domestic, large brands.

Where I worked, we found lots of children with elevated blood lead levels exposed to turmeric that was tainted. End of PSA. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 16

Whew! Long day. Just arrived Atlanta after 8 hour flight from Amsterdam. Now in Delta Sky Lounge awaiting an hour long flight home. Leave at 8PM arrive 8PM so have time for a little surfing.

Flight was on time, bags arrived Atlanta so tired but grateful. 

Good to be back.

• Like 25

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Just can’t let it pass without adding that much of the turmeric available contains lead. Lead exposure is cumulative, so even small amounts can add up. The lead can get into the spice from grinding, other preparation, and possibly from soil ( as it is a root crop). And much of it is imported. One batch may be fine, the next not. So if one chooses to use it, it is important to be confident about its origins, and safest to stay with domestic, large brands.

Where I worked, we found lots of children with elevated blood lead levels exposed to turmeric that was tainted. End of PSA. 

Thank you!  Yikes!  That’s probably why my oncologist said she was fine with me eating it in food, but not as a supplement.

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Thank you!  Yikes!  That’s probably why my oncologist said she was fine with me eating it in food, but not as a supplement.

Actually, even eating it in food can cause elevated blood lead levels (EBLLs).
Especially if there is a large amount of lead in the spice (food), or a significant amount of the food/ spice is eaten ( e.g. cultures where spices are (almost) a “food group”. It’s a function of how much lead is in something.) Even if something has less than the allowed threshold of lead, if one consumes a lot, it can cause EBLLs. 

We had a situation where gramma made turmeric organically, and with lots of love, shipped it to her family in the US, and it had > 400 ppm Pb. It was absolutely beautiful in color, but full of lead. And all members of the family who tested were significantly elevated.

FDA and other organizations maintain sites where recalls are published when out of compliance levels are found. I’m sure Canada has something similar.

Adding: the jurisdiction I worked for would often not test samples of turmeric as it was so prevalent, and we pretty much expected to find it. We focused limited resources on items that were not necessarily known to have lead, as a means of screening and uncovering other sources.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 6

30 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It is cloudy but a mild 58°F here in North East England at 07.42am.

@Horizon chaser 1957 Laura I hope your stomach pain has gone and you find something different from Tumeric for your arthritis.

A combination of chroidrontin and glucosamine is recommended by our doctors.

Graham.

Chondroitin not chroidrontin.

Graham.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Wow!  thanks so much.  I didn’t know this and I am sure I am not alone.  Very informative and helpful 👍 

13 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Whew! Long day. Just arrived Atlanta after 8 hour flight from Amsterdam. Now in Delta Sky Lounge awaiting an hour long flight home. Leave at 8PM arrive 8PM so have time for a little surfing.

Flight was on time, bags arrived Atlanta so tired but grateful. 

Good to be back.

Welcome home 🙂. Yay on the luggage arriving with you 👍 

• Like 5