Behaviour on Board

swjumbo

This subject has bothered me enough that I'm going to defend my point some more. Those who are conflating drinking with the downfall of Celebrity are insulting a lot of theiir fellow cruisers who have done nothing to ruin the cruise experience of others.

I've been on Cruise Critic since 2003, first sailed Celebrity in 2006, went exclusively to Celebrity since 2017. I read and love so many posts, reviews, life reports, from people of all ages,  all stateroom classes, and every walk of life and many countries. You know what makes so much of the Celebrity CC board great. People usually don't insult and show distain for their fellow passengers ( except for those who wear shorts in the MDR😀). My husband and I are in our 50s, retired due to my husband's hard work as an air traffic controller and ,as always, some  good luck in life. For his entire career, we didn't drink. We never even had a bottle of liquor in the house. These days,  we have a drink or 2 maybe once a week.Now, part of our cruise fun is food and drink, and sometimes more drink. One reason i love Celebrity is because cruise directors and staff aren't "party party party" 24/7. Wasn't in 2006, still isn't in 2022. But if we want to dance, drink, laugh with a bunch of other drunks and cheer at the Martini flair bartenders , there are places to do it. In the past 8 cruises, my husband has twice missed 6 pm dinner on embarkation day because he's napping in a chair  at the Sunset Bar after a few pina coladas. Now we joke about it.

Sorry if that has ruined the golden age of Celebrity for you.. But we have met the most amazing people over drinks on Celebrity Cruises. And  even more great people while smoking cigars while drinking at Sunset Bar , but I'm sure that's not a controversial subject😀

Edited by Smmessineo
  • Like 9

Smmessineo, I don't think the posters are upset about people who drink, they are upset about people who get way past drunk and then are rude to hard working staff members and others who are trying to have a great time in an adult manner.  I don't drink, but I have a sister who can go way overboard and get SO LOUD (her husband has to carry her off on occasion).  She's not usually rude (except to family), but she can be quite embarrassing (I don't know that lady, as I skulk off in another direction).

3 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Drink packages are cash cows for the cruise lines, but trouble for passengers.

Totally. When the Alc Beverage Package is $70/day compared to $15/day for Classic Non Alc, how do you want to make that pricing work in your favor, especially as the clock starts ticking on day one even if you don't board the ship before early afternoon!? By drinking excessively to get your money's worth. And I'd consider 7+ drinks a day on a 7 night cruise well in excess of normal limits. YMMV

• Like 2

On 8/30/2022 at 5:45 PM, maggie.1008 said:

Sorry to say I saw some of the same problems on our July Solstice trip to Alaska. Many large groups taking advantage of the drink package. Not the usual Celebrity clientele.

That is definitely not our experience with X and it's clientele.  We have sailed on 3 cruises in the Caribbean: Sept & Nov 2021 & August 2022.  All had drink packages but 60% or less capacity and no serious drunken behavior was observed.

8 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

Totally. When the Alc Beverage Package is $70/day compared to $15/day for Classic Non Alc, how do you want to make that pricing work in your favor, especially as the clock starts ticking on day one even if you don't board the ship before early afternoon!? By drinking excessively to get your money's worth. And I'd consider 7+ drinks a day on a 7 night cruise well in excess of normal limits. YMMV

Cash Cows? Really?

Drinks packages are only great for the ships when the majority of passengers don't drink or drink very little. X tried that route with the thankfully short lived compolsary AI now (unless you choose Aqua or a Suite) you have a choice.

Please note: I am not against optional drinks packages just compolsary ones.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Smmessineo said:

This subject has bothered me enough that I'm going to defend my point some more. Those who are conflating drinking with the downfall of Celebrity are insulting a lot of theiir fellow cruisers who have done nothing to ruin the cruise experience of others.

I've been on Cruise Critic since 2003, first sailed Celebrity in 2006, went exclusively to Celebrity since 2017. I read and love so many posts, reviews, life reports, from people of all ages,  all stateroom classes, and every walk of life and many countries. You know what makes so much of the Celebrity CC board great. People usually don't insult and show distain for their fellow passengers ( except for those who wear shorts in the MDR😀). My husband and I are in our 50s, retired due to my husband's hard work as an air traffic controller and ,as always, some  good luck in life. For his entire career, we didn't drink. We never even had a bottle of liquor in the house. These days,  we have a drink or 2 maybe once a week.Now, part of our cruise fun is food and drink, and sometimes more drink. One reason i love Celebrity is because cruise directors and staff aren't "party party party" 24/7. Wasn't in 2006, still isn't in 2022. But if we want to dance, drink, laugh with a bunch of other drunks and cheer at the Martini flair bartenders , there are places to do it. In the past 8 cruises, my husband has twice missed 6 pm dinner on embarkation day because he's napping in a chair  at the Sunset Bar after a few pina coladas. Now we joke about it.

Sorry if that has ruined the golden age of Celebrity for you.. But we have met the most amazing people over drinks on Celebrity Cruises. And  even more great people while smoking cigars while drinking at Sunset Bar , but I'm sure that's not a controversial subject😀

I’m with you guys.

We work hard and love our drinks package. Some people might be shocked at what we get through but we’re never rude, loud or obnoxious but do occasionally sway en-route to Beddington.

We’ve sat in many bars in the Caribbean and been thankful we’re not on a Carnival cruise because they, in our opinion, might not be drunk or rude but they’re extremely loud and not really our type.

Everything evolves. If Celebrity isn’t what it once was then try another cruise line.

We’d never dream of going on a Carnival cruise but are trying Cunard in November.

Maybe our fellow guests will be looking down their noses at us when we have our champagne breakfast with a sneaky G&T mid morning too and will probably be muttering about these Celebrity passengers daring to cruise with Cunard!

Cheers x

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Like others, we enjoy a drink at most times of the day. Bellini at breakfast, something fruity and icy poolside pre and post dinner drinks in one bar or another…Definitely a holiday treat, perhaps more pleasurable because it is ‘naughty’ compared to our usual life style just like the indulgent cake or three! It is nice to be naughty in your senior years! However, I am sure our indulgences have never marred the pleasure of others and that is the key.

12 hours ago, fabby50 said:

Smmessineo, I don't think the posters are upset about people who drink, they are upset about people who get way past drunk and then are rude to hard working staff members and others who are trying to have a great time in an adult manner.  

Agree…

10 hours ago, SusieAV8R said:

That is definitely not our experience with X and it's clientele.  We have sailed on 3 cruises in the Caribbean: Sept & Nov 2021 & August 2022.  All had drink packages but 60% or less capacity and no serious drunken behavior was observed.

Generally agree, we have cruised Celebrity numerous times and rarely seen a problem. One very tipsy lady in The Retreat trying to encourage everyone to dance and one gentlemen observed walking crablike from the ensemble lounge to the lift but both added to our amusement rather than displeasure. However, nothing spoils any occasion (holiday or otherwise) quicker than someone who  like fabby50 says…

13 hours ago, fabby50 said:

I don't drink, but I have a sister who can go way overboard and get SO LOUD (her husband has to carry her off on occasion).  She's not usually rude (except to family), but she can be quite embarrassing (I don't know that lady, as I skulk off in another direction).

We also stay clear of short cruises in Europe and the Caribbean…

3 hours ago, swjumbo said:

We’d never dream of going on a Carnival cruise but are trying Cunard in November.

Maybe our fellow guests will be looking down their noses at us when we have our champagne breakfast with a sneaky G&T mid morning too and will probably be muttering about these Celebrity passengers daring to cruise with Cunard!

Cheers x

A good friend of ours recently off a Cunard cruise after doing two cruises with other lines with drinks packages. They found the ‘pay as you go’ for drinks unsettling after getting used to order what you want without thinking about the price. Must confess when we used to cruise in the pre drinks package days I would tend to stick to wines and cocktails I knew I liked whereas with a package I am more comfortable to experiment. Let us know how you find your experience compared to Celebrity.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

And unfortunately, I think a lot of people view that they aren't driving or at real risk of falling overboard, they view it as the opportunity to drink to excess constantly, which ultimately causes poor behavior, and make the experience for responsible drinkers and non drinkers less enjoyable.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

And unfortunately, I think a lot of people view that they aren't driving or at real risk of falling overboard, they view it as the opportunity to drink to excess constantly, which ultimately causes poor behavior, and make the experience for responsible drinkers and non drinkers less enjoyable.

How many Celebrity cruises have you been on where excessive drinking has been a problem?

• Like 4

You are welcome to drink to your heart's desire as long as it doesn't infringe on my vacation was my point. 

Edit:  I have seen poor behavior from people who were obviously drunk, including some cursing and screaming at other guests and staff on several cruises, across several cruise lines.  My point in my post was that allowing drink packages, while cash cows for the cruise lines, creates problems as well. 

30 minutes ago, chemmo said:

How many Celebrity cruises have you been on where excessive drinking has been a problem?

Edited by kywildcatfanone

18 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

You are welcome to drink to your heart's desire as long as it doesn't infringe on my vacation was my point. 

My apologies if I misread your post…on one of my previous posts I mentioned I had rarely experienced drink induced poor behaviour on Celebrity. My query was on how many Celebrity cruises you had experienced drink related poor behaviour. 

17 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

Assume you mean 7 drinks before lunchtime?

Edited by C4HCG
  • Haha 2

I believe that one's true personality comes out when you have had too much to drink.

I have always been a happy (slightly horny) drunk. (my wife can attest)

Unfortunately, there are many who become angry/loud/violent when drunk.  

Those are the ones who cause the problems.

On 8/31/2022 at 10:09 AM, the penguins said:

Sort of agree but you also miss out on some wonderful "specials". X did a fantastic 4 night Classical Music Cruise from Southampton including a full phillamonic orchestra, guest artists including Alfie Boe, Catherine Jenkins and many others. Shows in the main theatre twice a day , numerous other performances throughout the ship and not a drunk in site. Every performance was full to bursting.

The cruise you are talking about was not 4 days but 7 days

it was the cruise for the Performing arts and was actually a charter.

20 hours ago, fabby50 said:

I have a sister who can go way overboard and get SO LOUD (her husband has to carry her off on occasion).  She's not usually rude (except to family), but she can be quite embarrassing (I don't know that lady, as I skulk off in another direction).

We must be related. I have that sister too.

13 hours ago, chemmo said:

Like others, we enjoy a drink at most times of the day. Bellini at breakfast, something fruity and icy poolside pre and post dinner drinks in one bar or another…Definitely a holiday treat, perhaps more pleasurable because it is ‘naughty’ compared to our usual life style just like the indulgent cake or three! It is nice to be naughty in your senior years! However, I am sure our indulgences have never marred the pleasure of others and that is the key.

Agree…

Generally agree, we have cruised Celebrity numerous times and rarely seen a problem. One very tipsy lady in The Retreat trying to encourage everyone to dance and one gentlemen observed walking crablike from the ensemble lounge to the lift but both added to our amusement rather than displeasure. However, nothing spoils any occasion (holiday or otherwise) quicker than someone who  like fabby50 says…

We also stay clear of short cruises in Europe and the Caribbean…

A good friend of ours recently off a Cunard cruise after doing two cruises with other lines with drinks packages. They found the ‘pay as you go’ for drinks unsettling after getting used to order what you want without thinking about the price. Must confess when we used to cruise in the pre drinks package days I would tend to stick to wines and cocktails I knew I liked whereas with a package I am more comfortable to experiment. Let us know how you find your experience compared to Celebrity.

Mimosas for breakfast? Delicious! So back to this thread.  I took an expensive cruise on Carnival in 1991 with my husband, 2 young children and 2 older in-laws.  The extreme drunken behavior, including inebriated folks knocking on every door  (including ours) well after midnight almost every night for 7 days,  caused me to vow never to cruise again.  It took my husband researching brands and lots of persuasive arguments to try a cruise with X in 2007.  I absolutely love cruising on X and now we are approaching Zenith.  Sure. I've seen folks over indulge, stagger a bit or periodically get loud, (especially around the martini bar 🙂 ) but nothing like that Carnival cruise!

• Like 1

Our first cruise was many a year ago, RCL, a week in the Caribbean. A group of people were so drunk that at 10am they were SO loud. I was sitting with my legs dangling into the pool and someone actually dove over my head into the pool! My husband swore he would never sail again. It took years before we tried. We since sailed Royal again , liked it but we still prefer Celebrity. Once we took our three teen daughters, and due to cost we sailed Carnival, We had fun because we were all together but even my teens weren't thrilled with carnival. We drink and we laugh and we have fun but Celebrity is way more our type of vibe

• Like 2